• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DRIVECLUB |OT| Cloudy with a Chance of Jaw Drops

Status
Not open for further replies.

fernoca

Game plays great to me. Just feels right.

Is it or will it be possible to decorate cars like people do in the Forza games?
Not fully customizable decals that allow to create your own, but you have some in the garage, along with colors and numbers. You earn more as you play and a few others will be added with the season pass.

benzy

Made this for the graphic wars thread so I might as well post it here too. :p

vnqeet.gif

Hoje0308

Banned
So I'm not going to say that you're wrong about the use of GI in either game, but I suggest you read about what it is.

I know what it is and I know that no game fully fits the bill, but DC is at least dealing with the basic lighting conditions in real time. Of course reflections and such are still the SS variety and color transfer is probably canned as well, but the actual process of having objects lit while casting shadows is done without any trickery.

Edit: I should just say "Look directly above this post to see the difference." Holy shit is that amazing to look at.

I know what it is and I know that no game fully fits the bill, but DC is at least dealing with the basic lighting conditions in real time. Of course reflections and such are still the SS variety and color transfer is probably canned as well, but the actual process of having objects lit while casting shadows is done without any trickery.

Edit: I should just say "Look directly above this post to see the difference." Holy shit is that amazing to look at.

It's not about the direct lighting though. As you already said, such is old hat. GI in games is NEVER complete GI, but rather is usually a rough approximation of indirect lighting. The vast majority of games in the past have baked the effect into the environment, which generally produces fantastic results if you're light setup is static. Mirror's edge is perhaps my favorite:
2b966541915f39207d2f7b0423f03503.jpg

The orange light on the wall is part of the baked GI, where it models light bouncing off of colored surfaces to take on that color. Dynamic GI is about doing that in real-time as lighting changes through a variety of methods that produce a rough approximation.

Allywidd

Neo Member
Would be nice if I could play it. Yet again plagued by an error code closing the game on the initial loading screen. Had the same crap with TLOU which they couldn't get to the bottom of. Funny how both titles were pre-ordered and preloaded (and both sony first party) on the store and both fail to work.

Was really looking forward to getting my hands on this one too.

Hoje0308

Banned
It's not about the direct lighting though. As you already said, such is old hat. GI in games is NEVER complete GI, but rather is usually a rough approximation of indirect lighting. The vast majority of games in the past have baked the effect into the environment, which generally produces fantastic results if you're light setup is static. Mirror's edge is perhaps my favorite:
2b966541915f39207d2f7b0423f03503.jpg

The orange light on the wall is part of the baked GI, where it models light bouncing off of colored surfaces to take on that color. Dynamic GI is about doing that in real-time as lighting changes through a variety of methods that produce a rough approximation.

Wait, I thought shadows were part of GI? Also, light refracted by the atmosphere is simulated in real time in DC. I thought that was GI as well. I might just have terms confused though.

benzy

Agreed, like in PM.

Is the AMG GT out in the US yet? There's still nothing on the playstation store for add ons besides the season pass.

Wait, I thought shadows were part of GI? Also, light refracted by the atmosphere is simulated in real time in DC. I thought that was GI as well. I might just have terms confused though.

Occlusion can be part of a dynamic GI model as well, yes. And as far as I know, Forza does the same thing with atmospheric simulation. Don't pay too much attention to the buzzwords.

Hoje0308

Banned
Occlusion is usually part of the game GI model as well, yes. And as far as I know, Forza does the same thing with atmospheric simulation. Don't pay too much attention to the buzzwords.

Yeah, I should, but it's sometimes easier to speak in broad terms rather than memorizing all of the specific jargon. How would you define DC's system of simulated solar rays passing through the atmosphere and creating shadows?

Yeah, I should, but it's sometimes easier to speak in broad terms rather than memorizing all of the specific jargon. How would you define DC's system of simulated solar rays passing through the atmosphere and creating shadows?

No idea. I'd have to know how they achieve the effect, because they certainly are not doing full raytracing.

waypoetic

Banned
"It handles like shit. It's like driving a fucking tank"
"The cars are awesome to drive!"

"It doesn't look that good honestly..."
"IT'S SO BEAUTIFUL"

It's all ping pong when it comes to this game...

kyser73

Haaaahahahahaha!

Most fun I've had driving since Hot Pursuit.

1 race & 1 TT in and I'm hooked.

Not even gonna go there on how good it looks - the TT was nighttime in Norway. Sublime.

Tankshell

So I want to pick-up a copy of this game today in the UK, the cheapest I can find it for is £41 at my local Tesco, anybody found anywhere cheaper? (I don't currently have a PS+ membership as I do 99% of my gaming on PC, so the free PSN+upgrade discount thing is not an option for me).

Well online going pretty smooth for me finished 5 matches. Most races have been pretty clean racing except for me getting put in lobbies with a guy named yonkaso who likes to ram every chance he gets.

Does the game keep putting you automatically into new races? or do you go back to the multiplayer lobby after a race?

Loving the drift challenges. It's been a while since I've been so focused on getting that high score. Makes me think of those GT2 time trials I did with members of another forum. Getting one corner right is doable. But getting them all perfect takes time.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
So I want to pick-up a copy of this game today in the UK, the cheapest I can find it for is £41 at my local Tesco, anybody found anywhere cheaper? (I don't currently have a PS+ membership as I do 99% of my gaming on PC, so the free PSN+upgrade discount thing is not an option for me).

see if you can find someone with a free PS+ trial (I'm sure some will have destiny bundle codes they aren't using because they don't stack). Then buy the PS+ version for cheap. You get to keep it even after your PS+ expires.

I'll have a look in the loft, I think I should have my destiny code somewhere in the PS4 box (unless it was in the game case which I traded in)

Hoje0308

Banned
Ok I think can put an end to this... ign article on horizons weather

http://m.au.ign.com/articles/2014/06/18/forza-horizon-2as-radical-new-weather-ign-first

Basically they didn't really make a big song and dance about it, so some people assume it's all pre-baked as usual... but what they have done is quite impressive and looks great!
same with DC.

now... carry on with DC discussions ;)

Foot in mouth. I was completely wrong about it. Kinda weird that more wasn't made of it though. Anywho, got some crow to eat before bed.

Xater

3 days now without working servers. That really is some bullshit. It now is really starting to impact my fun with the game since I am very far along in the tour mode.

- You need to adjust the bloody Display Area Setting in order to get a fullscreen 1080p game otherwise the game runs with a big black border around it.

NOTE TO DEVELOPERS: THIS IS *NOT* WHAT THIS SETTING IS INTENDED FOR AS IT SHOULD BE USED *ONLY* TO REPOSITION THE HUD!!! PLEASE ADD A SCREEN ADJUSTMENT OPTION TO THE GAME ITSELF!
It is intended for whatever use the developers want to use it for.

It is called 'Display Area', not 'HUD Area' after all.

There is no need for an independent setting in the game just because you set the system setting wrong.

Melchiah

When they eventually do get the online portion working, I do hope they reward club points to everyone according to their driver points. Although, I wager that isn't going to happen. I'm at level 17, and it would be nice to get the club points I could have had, if the game worked as it should.

jetsetrez

Well, I'm done with the game I think. Driving model is decent, and it's beautiful at times, but the game just isn't fun to me. Feels really clinical, no variety, bad music and sound effects, and I'm already half through the campaign without any of the online stuff, so I don't even know what I'm missing on that end.

Also, all of the corner/collision penalties shunting your momentum is so annoying, especially when the AI is so bad and will often either smash into you from behind if you're slowing into a corner, or just sit there like a wall when you're both going top speed and need space to not hit a piece of geometry and blow out. And maybe it's babby mode, but not having rewind makes the latter complaint so frustrating.

Tankshell

see if you can find someone with a free PS+ trial (I'm sure some will have destiny bundle codes they aren't using because they don't stack). Then buy the PS+ version for cheap. You get to keep it even after your PS+ expires.

I'll have a look in the loft, I think I should have my destiny code somewhere in the PS4 box (unless it was in the game case which I traded in)

Thanks dude. How much is the PS+ upgrade in £GBP anyway? Will it work out cheaper than getting the boxed game from Tesco for £41?

Thank all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom