• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DRIVECLUB |OT| Cloudy with a Chance of Jaw Drops

Status
Not open for further replies.

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
Man, I would be so glad if it was working so I could challenge people, but now I am in this state with myself. Beating my of shit out of my times.

fight_club_punch.gif

Some self slapping through portal gif would work too.

How fast do I wanna go?! SO FREAKIN FAST!!!!!!!
KuGsj.gif

Absolutely agree.

Spoilers!

neos

You won't be blow away the first few races but as you race more and more locations and tracks open up, everything clicks and it is a sight and sound to behold. Lighting is out of this world and makes a real difference here. Racing is white knuckled and handling is spot on. I highly recommend getting the game for those on the fence. Sucks that the online is not working for me though. :(

Totally agree with this.
First impression wasn't that good, but after almost 3 days i'm quite in love with the game, Driving "feels" very good. Some races are quite bland but others are absolutely spectacular.
Once dynamic weather drops in, the variety of race conditions will really give each race it's own story.
The game is good,has the right amount of challenge for me,and i'm doing the late hours because of the "one last try" effect.I'm having fun with it.

To close this post in sincere honesty, i find ridicolous to not have been able to do a single race online after 3 days. I'm sorry Rushy and all Evo team, i don't know what went wrong, but after dropping my 70€ for the game + 25 for the season pass, i'm not happy at all with the online broken and no signs of fixes\improvement as i'm writing.
This is a big letdown for me.

Just bought it last night. Absolutely stunning graphics and game play to match. It's a shame about the servers; however, I can only imagine how great this game will be in the long run. I am very happy with both FH2 and DriveClub and cannot wait to see the support these two will get in the coming months.

Played for an hour. This game looks jaw-dropping in tracks where there's little to no greenery and sunlight. Wasn't too impressed when I started with the sunny, green hilly tracks, but everything clicked once I got a loud, fast car and tried a snowy track. This is what I want from GT - incredible sound effects, sense of speed and all those environmental effects are so damn nice. Excellent handling too; forgot all about GT's 60fps twitch-response in 15 minutes.

poros1ty

Really enjoying the game so far despite the lack of multiplayer and most of the social features still being turned off. Other than the obvious collision and corner penalties that sometimes make absolute zero sense, the major thing that I really dislike about the game is the AI. It is too scripted and sometimes when you get into their set paths they'll simply run you off the road. I don't like how the AI scales to you, so when you're driving bad or have an accident, they slow down to let you catch up, or when you're driving insanely well with near perfect laps in a race, the AI speeds up so it's nearly impossible to get a comfortable lead. Downside of this is the game actually penalizes you for driving well, and then if you have one small hiccup in a race, it is still possible to lose, because the AI speeds up to keep close to you.

Jamesways

Holy shit. I finished the semi-pro tournament without any problem. Then I started the next challenge and... O.O what the fuc* at the difficulty. I can barely keep the car on the road, lmao.

The difficulty spike is giving me a tough time past the Semi-Pro. Actually, even in that I had to retry 2 races several times to even get close to 3rd. The AI is just relentless. Trying some hyper events, I can't keep the Huayra on the damn road.

Of course, having several very high percentage beers really doesn't help this at all.

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
Man, that movie has been out for years and there ain't even any context in this.

Also good job poiting at something you don't want to tell :D At least delete the insides of my post and not take them with your post? Eh?

... I was using my reply ironically, which is why I included the gif. :)

Guys and girls here can you please lend me some mental strength? I decided to save all money I have for a Macbook Air as next year my full coding courses will start at university and I need something really light to carry around but here I am thinking of buying Drive Club just because the PS+ edition is late, I shouldn't but I can resist less day for day, especially reading this thread :p

Leunam

Sad that we have to resort to something like this.

Driving the hype cars in this is still totally terrifying in cockpit or hood cam. The sense of speed is just so high and on bumpy roads it seems like you can lose control at any moment.

"If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough." - Mario Andretti

Live on that edge brah

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
Guys and girls here can you please lend me some mental strength? I decided to save all money I have for a Macbook Air as next year my full coding courses will start at university and I need something really light to carry around but here I am thinking of buying Drive Club just because the PS+ edition is late, I shouldn't but I can resist less day for day, especially reading this thread :p
The most rational course of action is to test the game extensively before purchasing it. This is one of the few games that allows for that.

The longer you wait the better the experience will they claim they will release the PS+ edition when the server functionality is present, which adds the club and multiplayer aspect.

neos

Really enjoying the game so far despite the lack of multiplayer and most of the social features still being turned off. Other than the obvious collision and corner penalties that sometimes make absolute zero sense, the major thing that I really dislike about the game is the AI. It is too scripted and sometimes when you get into their set paths they'll simply run you off the road. I don't like how the AI scales to you, so when you're driving bad or have an accident, they slow down to let you catch up, or when you're driving insanely well with near perfect laps in a race, the AI speeds up so it's nearly impossible to get a comfortable lead. Downside of this is the game actually penalizes you for driving well, and then if you have one small hiccup in a race, it is still possible to lose, because the AI speeds up to keep close to you.

Yes, this thing is far too evident.
It's not a bad idea in t's own, i understand the developers don't want you to race alone, but it's too much.
If after 1\5 of the race i'm first and i don't do big mistakes, doing the remaining 4\5 of the race with the 2nd car constantly at my tail feels like the ai is cheating.
Something like "ok, i'll let you win player 1, but you know i can overtake you when i want, you're lucky that my master told me not to do it"

If you're looking for a reason to NOT get it other than what you have already said, then here is a genuine, honest one: after the initial "wow" wears off, you really start to feel alone. Especially with the constant notifications that you are not connected to the server. You are also reminded by the menus on almost every screen having an online functionality and instead its just a greyed out, empty box.

You really do feel like you're playing 1/2 or maybe even 1/3 of the true game. It's best to wait until servers are good to go, likely next week.

Cudder

Are you supposed to keep the needle in a certain rev threshold at the start of the race to get a boost a the start? Does this game even have perfect starts? I'm just holding down gas for the whole countdown and it doesn't seem to be hindering me at all.

GodofWine

I have confirmation my club "Fast and Old" is now official as fellow gaf member stoic-lemon was able to join and put some points on the board.

hamchan

These network problems are so disheartening. I think I'm holding myself back from playing a lot because I feel I'm missing half the experience.

The most rational course of action is to test the game extensively before purchasing it. This is one of the few games that allows for that.

The longer you wait the better the experience will they claim they will release the PS+ edition when the server functionality is present, which adds the club and multiplayer aspect.

Hmm yeah that's what's going through my head aswell, I know the PS+ edition will come and then I can test the game to my hearts content inside the limited scope, you are right. What would make the whole thing easier for me is if they would flat out say "The PS+ edition will release next week Thursday!" or whenever so I have a clear date and don't have to F5 PSN every hour :( I'm good with waiting once I know till when I have to wait, if I don't my mind goes through the motions of "What if I still have to wait two weeks or more? Better get it now!" :p

Thanks you two :)

If you're looking for a reason to NOT get it other than what you have already said, then here is a genuine, honest one: after the initial "wow" wears off, you really start to feel alone. Especially with the constant notifications that you are not connected to the server. You are also reminded by the menus on almost every screen having an online functionality and instead its just a greyed out, empty box.

You really do feel like you're playing 1/2 or maybe even 1/3 of the true game. It's best to wait until servers are good to go, likely next week.

Alright yeah that helps somewhat too, I guess I really need to make myself realize that due to my impatience I would buy a for now gimped version when I would get a otherwise gimped version soon for free...

If you want to try and convince yourself not to buy it yet just go hang out in the review thread. Especially it's early posts. Sticking around here is no bueno.

Cudder

Yep. I'm just going to play Alien until the servers come back up. I need to get that out the way anyway with TEW coming up next week.

This is exactly what I'm doing. I finished the Rookie part of the Tour, and I'm not playing beyond that with the servers that power a majority of the game down.

I'm a jealous American
Is it not up elsewhere? That's a pity.

Not long had the game so not sure how other cars handle in the same class, but it does like to step out at the back, but maybe I'm being too hard on the throttle. Seems like it'd be good for drifts but again not got anything to compare to yet :p

Couple of gifs to make you more jealous.

ltmrjf.gif

hrmeix.gif

zjrszg.gif

If you want to try and convince yourself not to buy it yet just go hang out in the review thread. Especially it's early posts. Sticking around here is no bueno.

Thanks too that sounds like a good idea :) Unfortunately though I'm pretty immune to reviews, either positive or negative, since whenever I see enough of a game I already know if I like it or not regardless of reviews.

After three races online I've decided that I don't like the single player and I wish I didn't have to play it to unlock cars. The events just don't interest me and I don't really feel like I'm racing the AI. It kind of puts a halt on my gameplay sessions.

That said as much as people behave like wankers online, nothing feels better than selling someone a dummy at 200mph and watching them swerve out of control as they weave to try and block you.

Please. Fix your shit FFS.

The lighting in this game guys!!..Between it setting up some gorgeous scenery and the sun blinding your eyes through gaps in the trees, it's truly glorious.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom