• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DRIVECLUB |OT| Cloudy with a Chance of Jaw Drops

Status
Not open for further replies.

p3tran

Banned
Not sure I understand - the career events have specific settings that play into the difficulty of the event itself - if you could tweak the settings that'd be like cheating.

You can do what you want in single event mode though - outside of the career.

I dont think it goes like this. in fact this is my biggest problem with the game.
example (I did this test before replying to you, so maybe you can replicate):
I went and picked the maplewood motorsport park (canadian pro hotlap event)
the game always starts me in shitty light conditions where saturation is removed and I cant see shit.
BUT
if I have the ...patience to endure this ...torture, than after about 15-20 laps there is some decent light and at that point I can shave the 2 seconds I was missing all the previous time I was running in the dark.

rup6fD3l.jpg

Oh god hlep I am not good with computer

Moozo

Having "clean lap" as a requirement in a single player race with this AI is absolutely ridiculous. Minding my own business on the start finish straight and one drives straight in the back of me.

I dont think it goes like this. in fact this is my biggest problem with the game.
the game always starts me in shitty light conditions where saturation is removed and I cant see shit.
BUT
if I have the ...patience to endure this ...torture, than after about 15-20 laps there is some decent light and at that point I can shave the 2 seconds I was missing all the previous time I was running in the dark.
Yeah but it'll still always start at the same time. It's probably under a 15x time compression or something.

Yea but the online still doesn't work anyway. What a joke.
Up for me.

You're talking about a career event? Then yeah, the low light conditions are there on purpose to make things more difficult and risky. Its not a bug - its meant to make your life more difficult ;p

But if you mean you created the event yourself - outsider of the career - you can select whatever weather, time and time compression you want.

Or I am just entirely misunderstanding what you're asking about. That's always possible, but I haven't even opened the bottle of Four Roses here yet.

Soon...

Having "clean lap" as a requirement in a single player race with this AI is absolutely ridiculous. Minding my own business on the start finish straight and one drives straight in the back of me.
I know its cheap but for those challenges I hang out in the back for a lap, get the star, then punch it for the other lap/laps.

Kumubou

How do you determine blame though? In an online race, what if I come barrelling down the inside of a corner way too fast just as you turn in, and you hit me? You aren't at fault but you'd get the penalty while I'd get away with it.
I think the default assumption would be that whoever is behind in the race is responsible for driving clean. So that if you tried to barrel ahead when the person in front turns in and you T-bone them, you would be assessed the collision penalty. I'll be honest, though -- it's probably something that would need to be tested a fair bit as there's probably a lot of random edge case issues that would need to be worked out. Honestly, the biggest concern is not having a system that can be gamed by people trying to troll. It's hard enough for real race officials to assess such a situation when it happens.

It took me a few tries, but I had a blast getting that trophy. It made me really look at my bad driving habits, and is much easier in the early hatch races. Though I agree, the occasional AI rear-end penalty can be infuriating.

VanWinkle

Personally, I don't think they are anywhere near as good as a lot of people are saying. The lighting is good, but apart from that, it's average looking.

Your standards must be incredible if the lighting in this game are merely "good". What games have would you would consider amazing lighting?

Yeah this update didn't change a thing for me :(. I'm slowly losing patience lol, just dying to play online already, especially on a saturday night with no work tomorrow.

Gen X

Trust no one. Eat steaks.
When the reviews started surfacing last week I couldn't believe how low some of the scores were and thought they were just whinging as there was no customisation or open-world-ness to it. I started playing yesterday and two to three races in I was like 'Oh no, what have Evolution done?'. I know the cars are FWD but the way they handled feels more closely to Racing Evoluzione (Think it was called Apex in the US? An old OG Xbox game) and the tarmac sections of Rallisport Challenge 2.

Thankfully I persisted and once I reached the section section/tier/group whatever it's called I chose an Italian Challenge, 2 races in the Maserati. Jesus, that felt way better, now it felt like a racing game and I am enjoying it immensely.

Wow, got connected for the first time last night. Played a couple of online races, and it was so buttery smooth. Other than each opponent having their PSN Avatar above their cars, it was like playing single player. Not lag, no stuttering, no lag skip, it was pretty awesome.

Must be really nice to have a connection for longer than 1 min. ;-) I started the game last night for the first time and it was about 3-4hrs before I could browse the leaderboards or accept a Club invite from Shaneus. My preorder Multiplier is going to waste as that only works about 25% of the time.

I wonder if Sony realised this wasn't ready but demanded it met a release date this side of Xmas due to not having an exclusive racer yet on the system? I can imagine that once all the updates are out it will be a better game.

Great video.

I was perplexed by the complaints of many people about the AI as I have yet to experience what some people have been complaining about. The only times that I did I was clearly at fault, either I braked too hard into a corner where the AI was on my tail, or if I made a blocking manoeuvre too late. I have seen the AI use many blocking techniques but none that have been outright aggressive as some have said.

Gen X

Trust no one. Eat steaks.
BUT

Or you just park on the side of the road and go make a sandwich or something. I did that unintentionally after being bounced around like a pinball. Thought I paused it, race was in daylight, came back 20mins later, clear skies, full moon.

Bandipur drift

Time:7:00 AM

Weather: Clear

Time Compression : X15

Mother of god.

It looks like I might see Simba flying out the crowd. The lighting is THAT damn good.

Oh yea online works but it's spotty I'm not able to create clubs but I'm connected.

Your standards must be incredible if the lighting in this game are merely "good". What games have would you would consider amazing lighting?

The problem I have is that the lighting is let down by the horrible aliasing and quality of some of the assets.

Having such good lighting just highlights how bad other aspects look.

One of the reasons I bought the game was because it genuinely looked incredible in some of the pre-release shots, but having spent a good few hours playing it, it doesn't live up to the hype graphically.

viveks86

Got an alert for an update while I was playing the game. Installed update now. Got connected to club as well. I'm definitely seeing improvements.

Bandipur drift

Time:7:00 AM

Weather: Clear

Time Compression : X15

Mother of god.

It looks like I might see Simba flying out the crowd. The lighting is THAT damn good.

Oh yea online works but it's spotty I'm not able to create clubs but I'm connected.
I prefer a 6AM start, but yeah, Bandipur is something.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom