• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DRIVECLUB |OT3| Evolved

xrnzaaas

How the F am I losing 2k points on the last sector of the challenge?

You can't end the wheelie too late (3000-3200 points there is probably the optimal value) and you must start gaining speed again without any sliding (don't be too close to the right side of the road when the wheelie has ended). Try to maintain a perfect racing line when taking two fast corners before the speed trap. If you're using automatic gearbox you can also try switching to the fifth gear manually, because you may be hitting the rev limiter at that point of the challenge and the gearbox doesn't always "behave" like it should. After xx attempts I managed to hit about 270-272km/h in the speed trap a couple of times, but SigSwat551 is closer to 280. :)

Because the game adheres to the rules of the universe.

Events have a start time. It would be impossible to know no one wants to play that Event until the timer reaches zero for that Event.

Now you could sit there any tell me that having an Event browser system is rubbish, but what you've said about empty rooms and timers is totally illogical.

Put a little number on each event showing how many people have currently signed up.

This would be a great way for players who are currently spread out in different rooms to get in populated games. I'd sacrifice my preferred game type to play with others.

You can't end the wheelie too late (3000-3200 points there is probably the optimal value) and you must start gaining speed again without any sliding (don't be too close to the right side of the road when the wheelie has ended). Try to maintain a perfect racing line when taking two fast corners before the speed trap. If you're using automatic gearbox you can also try switching to the fifth gear manually, because you may be hitting the rev limiter at that point of the challenge and the gearbox doesn't always "behave" like it should. After xx attempts I managed to hit about 270-272km/h in the speed trap a couple of times, but SigSwat551 is closer to 280. :)

Optimal score of the wheelie is always above 3200....more than 3300 is also achievable. Use the whole wheelie zone. When exiting the wheelie zone get the front wheel back on the ground as fast as possible and start accelerating. You feel when you are doing it right. The bike is immidiately stable and doesn't slide, spin, wobble or whatever. My speed at the trap is such now that i can't even take the last bend without scraping the wall just after passing the trap. Hope this helps. Here is the vid of my fastest run:

http://youtu.be/2xkkpMt76ME

farmerboy

Hmmm, just got told after a race "Don't fkin talk to me you old****, don't you know who i fkin am!?!?!!?!"

Quite.

Fixed.

I didn't know Ronnie Pickering had a PS4.

Okay, this is gold. Just looked that up on Youtube. I swear to you, that's Ainsz under the helmet.
Also, I just think the UK accent is hilarious when used in a confrontation. It's like God purpose built an accent to use when a bit of biffo is on the cards. Tell me though, which regional accent is the best?

Best thing was.....i DIDN'T know who he was!

Spooky.

Yes, but he's certainly a good judge of character lol. ;-)

xrnzaaas

Optimal score of the wheelie is always above 3200....more than 3300 is also achievable. Use the whole wheelie zone. When exiting the wheelie zone get the front wheel back on the ground as fast as possible and start accelerating. You feel when you are doing it right. The bike is immidiately stable and doesn't slide, spin, wobble or whatever. My speed at the trap is such now that i can't even take the last bend without scraping the wall just after passing the trap. Hope this helps. Here is the vid of my fastest run:

http://youtu.be/2xkkpMt76ME

Thanks for the vid. I don't know if I'll find more time this week to keep trying, but if I do I'll use it. :)

Okay, this is gold. Just looked that up on Youtube. I swear to you, that's Ainsz under the helmet.
Also, I just think the UK accent is hilarious when used in a confrontation. It's like God purpose built an accent to use when a bit of biffo is on the cards. Tell me though, which regional accent is the best?

Lol I had no idea who it was either - Old Ronnie has an East Yorkshire accent (the missus says Hull) whilst Ainsz is Sheffield (if I remember right) which is South Yorkshire... I'd say Geordie is the scrapping accent :)

T_Exige

Have I got this right. The vehicles you buy come with an event - you can't just buy the vehicles on their own?

The easiest is to buy the Season 1 DLC pass (worth it!), it gets you all the content, the best cars and events. Some cars can be bought (LaFerrari?) but in my opinion it is better to unlock them by getting to a certain drivers level. It is a motivation or goal to work to Lv65 etc.

On the bike challenge topic, I only manage to get 265km/h out of the last speedtrap, what means losing 1400 points.
Thanks for the tips SigSwat.

Here's a couple of videos from the best online races I've had this week - they both show what I've been chunnering on about for a while...

1. The best races on public servers happen when you get 2-3 evenly matched people away from the pack.
2. If you start at the back of the pack with your rival at the front then you need a good slice of luck to get through quick enough to make a race of it.
3. I'm quite pleased with my overtakes on both of these vids, it's fantastic when you pull off one of these side by side manoeuvres over 2-3 bends to slip past, however....
4. The overtakes were on my teammates who know how to race in close proximity and conceded the place - it's rare to find a player on public server who wouldn't mash me into the barrier if they were in Ainsz position or cause a big smash at the chicane in Skillets.

Anyway, here are the vids :-

Ainsz Overtake 4:05
https://youtu.be/siyMHyR9E2Q

Skillet Overtake 1:55
https://youtu.be/Hfhgt0b1L_M

Here's a couple of videos from the best online races I've had this week - they both show what I've been chunnering on about for a while...

1. The best races on public servers happen when you get 2-3 evenly matched people away from the pack.
2. If you start at the back of the pack with your rival at the front then you need a good slice of luck to get through quick enough to make a race of it.
3. I'm quite pleased with my overtakes on both of these vids, it's fantastic when you pull off one of these side by side manoeuvres over 2-3 bends to slip past, however....
4. The overtakes were on my teammates who know how to race in close proximity and conceded the place - it's rare to find a player on public server who wouldn't mash me into the barrier if they were in Ainsz position or cause a big smash at the chicane in Skillets.

Anyway, here are the vids :-

Ainsz Overtake 4:05
https://youtu.be/siyMHyR9E2Q

Skillet Overtake 1:55
https://youtu.be/Hfhgt0b1L_M

Neat races man.

Can I just say I find the PSN ids above the names of the cars kind of distracting. Any chance you could take them off for future videos? It's alright on other cars, but above your own car really obscures the track ahead.

ZalXII

Neat races man.

Can I just say I find the PSN ids above the names of the cars kind of distracting. Any chance you could take them off for future videos? It's alright on other cars, but above your own car really obscures the track ahead.
Second this, can't watch your videos with your id on because all i see is the id and nothing in front. I can't figure out how you're able to drive like this, i did set ids off for everyone a long time ago. Normally, i just look at the upper left corner to see who is in front or wrecked me, sometimes the liverie stands out enough to differentiate. If these are recorded in replay mode, the setting works there also even if the replay was saved with ids on.

Neat races man.

Cheers :)

Yeah going off this and the comments above getting the avatar turned off but retaining the name sounds like a good compromise. I don't notice them when racing but I don't use that view.

Edit: Well I would if I could but all I can see is to turn names & avatars on / off...

AlexBasch

Stupid question but eh.

What am I missing if I don't join a club? I play the game every day, but I suppose clubs are like clans to play online in a serious way, or how do those work.

Ah sorry. For some reason I remember there being separate settings.

No probs bud :) Gonna give it a try with no names while racing too to see how I like it :)

Stupid question but eh.

What am I missing if I don't join a club? I play the game every day, but I suppose clubs are like clans to play online in a serious way, or how do those work.

You miss out on the Golf, Mono, Zonda and 1 of the Bentleys, 3 of which are good cars...

As for the social side, it depends whether you find a team of like minded players to race online and share challenges with or if you just find a team where nobody speaks or interacts... The team (and gaf) are part of what has kept me so involved in this game but not everyone has the same experience.

Makikou

Just logged in for a bit to beat Shannow in the challenge (zzz) and see if anyone was online. No, so i went to see what cars were in rotation in MP.

Got pushed to the wall on 2nd last corner last lap by some 13 yo (by looking at his nickname).

Yeah. Fuck this. Imma play XCOM. (Unless someone's gonna be online..)

Karu

Played online for the first time yesterday... and welp... if you are not good like me, having to battle it out with the pack behind it's Mario Kart without any of the fun... and the items... and the fun. Ugh.

Simultanious Time Trial is cool, though.

Sirenty

I think they need to add a timer to drifting like the bike skills have. Faster time to finish equals more points. Maybe that would cut down on the cheesing, and maybe it would let them bring the old drift model back.

Stupid question but eh.

Well, there's the handful of cars you unlock being in a club, like the awesome BAC Mono. Also, doing challenges as a club can be fun. Otherwise, there's not a lot to it. Wish they had fleshed that aspect out more.

You can play online with your club, but it seems more set up to earn points asynchronously. You unlock cars and liveries as your club levels up. Honestly, once you unlock all the cars, you probably won't care much about the club. Unless your club is active and doing club challenges and such.

You're welcome to join my club: Autobot Armada. We're high enough, you'll unlock all the club cars. We're not as active anymore but some new blood might motivate me to play more!

Finally got around to attempting the weekly challenge. I think I preferred the skill event over the time trial/sprint we had last week. I'm sitting in third last but I had fun at least. I've still barely touched the Bikes expansion so perhaps once I get into the tour and learn their handling model I'll have an easier time with them.

Tommi84

Nah, I just can't get more than 17.6K points. I'm not even able NOT to loose 800+ points on the first speed trap (previously i was like 200-300 behind, not anymore) and then it's even worse. Will wait for another challenge :)

Because the game adheres to the rules of the universe.

Events have a start time. It would be impossible to know no one wants to play that Event until the timer reaches zero for that Event.

Now you could sit there any tell me that having an Event browser system is rubbish, but what you've said about empty rooms and timers is totally illogical.

Having an event browser system is rubbish. It gets people into games slower, they get to play less of what they like, and lobbies disband after just a single race. These problems do not exist within traditional matchmade / server browser based, online racing games.

Racing games benefit most from a server browser with 'quick match' option (matchmaking essentially), I think. That way you can make a lobby with a number of pre-set configurations, play in it, and have people join, or join someone else lobby by careful selection, or the use of matchmaking.

I'm not sure if the event browser system has any benefits aside it's quite nice for the games presentation. It almost masks the fact that you are connecting online, so if immersion was a factor it benefits that, as it feels like you are registering for an event rather than 'matchmaking' or whatever, but ultimately I don't feel that's needed and would rather a faster, more efficient online system, that allows people to play more of what they like.

Ainsz

Having an event browser system is rubbish. It gets people into games slower, they get to play less of what they like, and lobbies disband after just a single race. These problems do not exist within traditional matchmade / server browser based, online racing games.

Racing games benefit most from a server browser with 'quick match' option (matchmaking essentially), I think. That way you can make a lobby with a number of pre-set configurations, play in it, and have people join, or join someone else lobby by careful selection, or the use of matchmaking.

I'm not sure if the event browser system has any benefits aside it's quite nice for the games presentation. It almost masks the fact that you are connecting online, so if immersion was a factor it benefits that, as it feels like you are registering for an event rather than 'matchmaking' or whatever, but ultimately I don't feel that's needed and would rather a faster, more efficient online system, that allows people to play more of what they like.

Other racing games that used traditional matchmaking methods usually came off worse a year or so down the line. Having different game modes separated in to different menus only serves to eventually segregate the player base.

Once the whole Driveclub community has figured out they only like racing in Rimacs on Fraser Valley Endurance events, then the majority of other tracks and events will never get played after so long.

The event browser is neat way to keep all the event types and tracks in one area, ensuring there's at least some interest across the board whatever's on and certain game modes don't completely die off.

The lobbies are shuffled depending how many people are on to play that particular event - if there's fewer than 12 then you'll be racing the same people. What often confuses people is you see names disappearing during the gathering players phase - this could be peeps quitting the lobby but often isn't (random names from our 5 player session disappear for example). I don't know why it does this but I can see why it leads to the belief that people quit after 1 race.

Ainsz has covered your other points pretty much in line with my opinions, once your used to the system it works well tho I do agree it'd be nice to have a shorter time between events (but maybe this is to allow enough time of the event being visible for people to join).

Played online for the first time yesterday... and welp... if you are not good like me, having to battle it out with the pack behind it's Mario Kart without any of the fun... and the items... and the fun. Ugh.

Simultanious Time Trial is cool, though.

Yeah if you get stuck in the pack it can be damn brutal - and yes the time trial is great, we often switch to that if the races are feeling more like destruction derbies.

Just logged in for a bit to beat Shannow in the challenge (zzz)

I just nipped on earlier for a bit to beat Maki (yawn) ;-)

T_Exige

I just nipped on earlier for a bit to beat Maki (yawn) ;-)

That means I may have lost 2 places! ;p
Had a few tries this morning to increase to 18.500 at N°10

I came to the conclusion that the first speed trap is the most difficult ...
Losing 500-700 is too much.

Other racing games that used traditional matchmaking methods usually came off worse a year or so down the line. Having different game modes separated in to different menus only serves to eventually segregate the player base.

Once the whole Driveclub community has figured out they only like racing in Rimacs on Fraser Valley Endurance events, then the majority of other tracks and events will never get played after so long.

The event browser is neat way to keep all the event types and tracks in one area, ensuring there's at least some interest across the board whatever's on and certain game modes don't completely die off.

I don't really see how it does that. On games like GRID you could just hit 'view matches' then browse to find a lobby that you want to play, or quick match to get into one. On GRID it worked because the settings were pre-regulated, so you couldn't have a lobby organised by some randoms using X car only, on X track only, or whatever, you had to select 'open wheel, sport, drift, or a few other modes and it would rotate through the respective cars suitable for those events. None of those event types were underplayed, because they had a small number of focal categories.

I really don't have a problem with certain event types dying off though, if no one wants to play them. Isn't that how it should be? If an event type is dying off, it's because it's not popular. No one is stopping you from playing it or making a lobby and getting others to do so. People shouldn't have to play a gametype they don't really like, because what they want to be playing hasn't come up in the rotation. It's a little silly, in my opinion, especially for people that may want to hone their skills on particular disciplines etc.

Glix

Well, there's the handful of cars you unlock being in a club, like the awesome BAC Mono. Also, doing challenges as a club can be fun. Otherwise, there's not a lot to it. Wish they had fleshed that aspect out more.

You can play online with your club, but it seems more set up to earn points asynchronously. You unlock cars and liveries as your club levels up. Honestly, once you unlock all the cars, you probably won't care much about the club. Unless your club is active and doing club challenges and such.

You're welcome to join my club: Autobot Armada. We're high enough, you'll unlock all the club cars. We're not as active anymore but some new blood might motivate me to play more!

Do you have toom for me too? I made my roommate join my club just so its active, but its just me grinding it now and it kinda sucks. Although my isles/knicks/mets club paint job is the shit.

If you've been in a chat session with me you'll probably have heard me rambling on about PSVR and how I'm looking forward to trying out Driveclub VR but the recent steam VR show has raised some questions I hadn't thought of before. The one demo that caused nausea at the event was the only seated experience, driving a buggy in Elite Dangerous.

There's a couple of different explanations I've seen for this, one is that the framerate was dropping and the other is the low gravity bouncing movement was too much of a disconnection from reality.

I knew that the frame rate needs to be rock solid but Evo have shown they can deliver on that already. I wonder if they will have to run it without the camera shake however and I should imagine they can't have you inside the car if it flips or maybe even if it goes on 2 wheels... It'll be interesting to see what solutions they come up with but it probably means we won't be seeing a Motorstorm VR anytime (unless 3rd person view only...)

Do you have toom for me too? I made my roommate join my club just so its active, but its just me grinding it now and it kinda sucks. Although my isles/knicks/mets club paint job is the shit.
Sure thing. I have one open spot, so feel free to send me a join request in the game.

If others want to join I can kick some of my current members out. I don't think most of them play much anymore. And they're mostly old friends from when we played Hot Shots Golf online many years ago. So they'll understand.

Rushy has tweeted that they're releasing details about the update this week, so i'd expect (hoping!) the actual patch will hit the week following.

Good lord Venom Hot Lap 2 is brutal.

Finally completed this last night to get Elements 100%. I had moved on and just left it with 2 starts but with only 3 other tours left thought it was time get it out the way.

Configured a matching TT but with slightly more day light (19:00) and focused on finding break & turn in points. Multiple laps later I was 1.19.4x and 50/50 on making the time.
Back on the VHL2: 1st lap was PB, 2nd made the 3 stars = relief

Total wall riding bullshit right there!!!!

26FPrgsxrAm55qrlu.gif

I probably would have lost as i was in the Enzo, but that kinda bollocks really shouldn't be possible without some kinda penalty.

jp_footy

Neo Member
Total wall riding bullshit right there!!!!

26FPrgsxrAm55qrlu.gif

I probably would have lost as i was in the Enzo, but that kinda bollocks really shouldn't be possible without some kinda penalty.

I've mentioned this over at the gtplanet forums several times. Cars should "sink" into walls instead of bouncing off them.

Another week and another new winner - Well done SigSwat551, the result never looked in doubt as you dominated this challenge. Sirenty mugged Ainsz for second spot on the run in and takes the overall series lead because of this strong showing. Bouniter followed up last week's great result with an excellent 4th and AnythingBut battled into 5.

Here's the current standings, as you can see Sirenty is now leading from Ainsz with SigSwat551 jumping up to 3rd with that win.

Screenshot_2016_02_07_19_38_45.png

BraXzy

Just had the craziest online race ever. Me and a mate are in 1st and 2nd place. He spins out right at the end because he mistakes the average speed check for the finish line, I manage to overtake at the last second. Yet we both get the exact same time to the third decimal place. Double checked the replay.. Say whaaaaa?

Is there a way to fast forward frame by frame? Replay felt really basic as far as getting precise time changes.

OK this week we're back in the cars in a race event. The car is a Marussia B2 on Cayoosh Point in the dry against 7 cars on legend difficulty.

https://youtu.be/LRRF35qGYxM

As you can see, there's nothing too tricky about this event - it's just a case of getting past the cars as quickly as possible then concentrating on your time.

You should've received your invite by now so if you havent then please let me know. Can you also send me a friend request if I'm not already on your list as it's way easier just clicking down a list rather than have to text search for people's names every time...

And anyone who hasn't joined yet but fancies a go just let me know, there's no need to participate in every event.

Have fun!

Top Bottom