• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Driveclub PS Plus Edition Delayed by Server Issues

Angelcurio

And just a month ago, Destiny, an always online title, released across 4 different platforms, was released withouft any issues. Either Bungie/Activision have their own servers and know how to handle those kind of releases, or Evolution did not take into account the possible server loads come release day, They could have done a proper open beta in order to be better prepared for the launch of Driveclub.

Xando

Sony has been advertising Driveclub PS+ version since mid 2013 as a subscriber benefit, so they really couldn't. And many people paid for their subscriptions with the knowledge that they would be getting this game as part of it.

And they will get it sooner rather than later. I agree its a shitty situation but it has nothing to do with PSN other than the exchange of login information.(speculation).

Haxxona

Banned
Wow, seriously!?! Its a freaking extended demo that includes offline play, is it really that hard to put a notice on the download page with it saying "online features will be up in a day or two"?

I was thinking that very same thing. The reviews have been poor and they need this PS+ version to make a good impression in order to sell more copies. A non-functioning release of this version would likely make things worse.

They need to get the live challenges up ASAP, it's a great addition to a circuit racer from the experience I had of playing the game both with and without a connection.

Squozen

I expect nothing less than a shitfest when it comes to Sony and server/network infrastructure. This shouldn't be difficult at this point, but they still manage to screw things up.

And you know this how? Please explain your expert knowledge of the inner workings of PSN and the online code base for Driveclub.

It's simple.

DriveClub's and every game on PS4 needs the PSN infrastructure to work online. They won't just work on they own.

So is directly related.

Do I really have to explain this?

Smurf

Banned
I suppose what grates is the pre-launch promise around driveclub about 18 months ago at this stage and it still seems they're dragging their heels over fulfilling that promise. It's just a post-release demo on a paid subscription now. In europe at least they actually delayed this months ps plus by a week to include driveclub which makes it even more ridiculous. It could only be topped if their previous promise of a AAA game on ps plus before the end of the year was this driveclub demo.
The internet problems just compound matters a few weeks after the much hyped and claimed first party title Destiny floundered badly.
Difficult times for Sony and their core audience, they might be rolling in the mass markets money but they'll pay the price like Nintendo if they wind up abandoning their faithful for the easy money.

Dragon

Banned
Good thing that they are now charging for online gaming so that such issues can no longer occur.

No one at Sony ever said that as far as I can recall and frankly if you look back at their track record on PS3 any logical thinking human being would take such a statement, if it does exist, with a gigantic grain of salt.

Atrophis

Sony has confirmed it's delaying the free PS Plus version of DriveClub in the face of ongoing server issues.

Developer Paul "Rushy" Rustchynsky has penned a lengthy explanation for the decision, explaining the studio needs to deliver a smooth experience for those who have already purchased the full game before risking destabilising things further

http://www.ign.com/articles/2014/10/08/driveclub-ps-plus-edition-delayed-by-server-issues

IGN readers sure love their conspiracy theories.

Interfectum

It's simple.

DriveClub's and every game on PS4 needs the PSN infrastructure to work online. They won't just work on they own.

So is directly related.

Do I really have to explain this?

You explained nothing. PSN is still working fine... the issue is with Driveclub servers specifically.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
I don't really understand why they are having network issues now. It was fine until the free weekend. How could those effects still be lingering? Could grace Chen please reboot the pentium 2 she uses to host psn please?

Cbajd5

so has anyone considered that sony only didn't do the always online drm because their servers couldn't handle it

Seriously Sony, put at least a little bit of that PS+ money into your online infrastructure.

The fact the PS Plus edition of DriveClub wasn't available to download at the same time as the full version tells me Sony planned all along to delay it if necessary to lighten the load on its servers.

That's not very nice.

wapplew

I have yet connected to Driveclub server since day 1.
It's not like the game selling well or something.

PSN servers are a joke. Also, I hate how they handle the store updates.

They do it like once or twice a week and still have problems.

Saganator

I'm pretty annoyed by this, but I find it pretty comical their own game is pretty much DDoS'ing their servers. I read somewhere that the game automatically tries to reconnect, it doesn't give up after a few tries, and as far as I know, you can't tell it to stop trying. They have thousands of clients constantly hammering the server which is probably bringing them to their knees. What an oversight.

Cudder

I'm getting flashbacks to the Socom 4/PSN outage situation with this game. It could end up being disastrous for the game and Evolution. Launch couldn't have gone any worse.

sublimit

Banned
I hope we'll at least get it in the next few days. My PS+ subscription ends on the 16th of October and i don't plan to resubscribe until Bloodborne comes out.

c0de

I'm pretty annoyed by this, but I find it pretty comical their own game is pretty much DDoS'ing their servers. I read somewhere that the game automatically tries to reconnect, it doesn't give up after a few tries, and as far as I know, you can't tell it to stop trying. They have thousands of clients constantly hammering the server which is probably bringing them to their knees. What an oversight.

This is bad design of it in the game and really sad considering that it is 2014 we are living in. Online load to servers and building a strong infrastructure aren't mysteries anymore since many years.

Snaku

Banned

Which means as soon as they get this fixed for the current user base and give the ps+ edition the green light, the flood of new players are going to fuck the servers again.

Xando

So, you're saying that DC's interaction with PSN has nothing to do.

Okay.

I differ.

They probably communicate Authentication informations. Like with every Multiplayer game.
If you have evidence PSN servers have more functions in Driveclub please tell us of you knowledge in the PSN infrastructure.

-PXG-

If this is some last ditch/ unconventional method of advertising, it's working. There are 5 motherfuckin Drive Club threads on the first page.

Looking forward to a thread full of people who don't understand that you don't just throw money at a server infrastructure to make it magically work.

EDIT: Though that doesn't excuse that PS+ is a paid service.
I thought they were delaying it because they want to ensure paying customers were working first. Feels like code to me. If that's the case the only thing you can do is architect horizontally... So basically throwing money at infrastructure.

Just giving ya a hard time!

OT

I thought this game was supposed to be free for ps+ users early on and then they said no and now they are basically saying "just kidding on the demo.

I thought they tested DC (both versions) prior to its release date, so I don't get this delay. I also thought any developer/publisher would have an estimation about how the release day would impact the servers so they can avoid / minimize issues.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
The entire DriveClub project is an unending disaster. Not sure how they could screw up so bad not only with just delivering the product an entire year later, but then not understanding server strain between constant unending client calls.

Good thing they killed Studio Liverpool though to ensure this project lived on instead, aka the always on-time shippers of fluid online games that even worked across platforms.

Top Bottom