• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Driveclub PS Plus Edition Delayed by Server Issues

EGM1966

So is this a case of they simply messed up the server side or are they a victim of their own success (i.e. the game has sold better than anticipated)?

It's so hard to know with Sony at times.

Personally I'm fine with it as I'm deep into Alien Isolation with Mordor waiting afterwards but this does suck for Plus customers.

Still - I guess some final Driveclub drama is par for the course. As ever I'd love to know what position it was in when it was supposed to be launching (as well as infrastructure)? Would be fascinating to be able to judge just how much as been re-worked and polished.

Thankfully, I've grown patient over the years.
sHKuxQV.gif

Feel you on that.

Kssio_Aug

It's the lack of communication that Sony needs to improve or otherwise people will go to the competition, aka Xbox One.

I can't believe that in 2014 we're still having major delays in store update and stuff like that. I pay for the service, i want an update on what's wrong. I don't care that the DriveClub demo isn't on the store day one, but at least put a little notice on the blog so everyone knows what's up. Sony can lose the trust of consumers if they act like this, if it's not already lost...

Love it or hate it but Microsoft does an amazing job communicating with their customers and their service is more stable overall. Yes Live does have some moments that it's down but honestly that rarely goes for more than 24 hours and they tell you right away what's up with the problem compared to Sony.

Thats something Im observing aswell. Sony did a golden entry to this gen, but is definitely not keeping that "pro-consumer" image by a long time already.
They promised DC as pratically a launch title, then it had a full year delay, and now the game is releasing without features like weather and photomode, that will only come later even after such delay. Not saying the lack of basic things such as replay. If it wasnt enough the long promised free version, that was supposed to be release at yesterday's IGC is not up yet.

I mean... DC is their only big exclusive title by a long time, Plus subscription is now paid, and they were not prepared to release it? Thats a big shame. And now their subscribers that were for long waiting the plus version paid the price for their bad work.

Not saying that DC is only a piece of the problem. People are for long asking for basic features on the console, like pause downloads and a fixed share button. Its like, with all of this, the PS4 is in a hybernation state when it comes to Sony's supports and consumers care.

Almost 99% of the people I know had zero idea that there was suppose to be DRIVECLUBE PS+ Free version. Heck most don't even know what DRIVECLUB is. So Sony not ever properly communicating about this game to the general public (pretty much no ads at all) I guess has helped them. Because outside of people that pay attention to this stuff online (us) no one has any idea this is going on.

It's not only about Driveclub but overall. It's not the first time that something like this happens. Sony don't have a good track record with communication. I hope they improve this very important part of their weakness, it's important for me and many others as i love their products overall.

BTW, i do have Driveclub and i even bought the season pass as i'm in love with the game but i hope Sony get their shit together and make PSN a better stable service that consumer can rely on.

TyrantII

I don't really understand why they are having network issues now. It was fine until the free weekend. How could those effects still be lingering? Could grace Chen please reboot the pentium 2 she uses to host psn please?

Its been spotty since the Lizard attack from what I can tell, especially the social services like friends list, messenging, The social wall, ect.

Wonder if they're still being attacked by zombie bots. Still, no excuse.

shink

What an awful launch for Driveclub. Still waiting for my copy to arrive, hopefully it's sorted out soon.

DWinn7

damn people are taking this too serious....go hit the gym or go lay up with your girl in the meantime..

Lol bro I'm with you 100%....but to be fair, it's always something going on with PSN and people dont like paying for services that constantly lag or go down.

Mugatu

Why accept this, though? If I buy a product, it ought to work as advertised. For some reason that's considered an "entitlement mindset" when you apply it to a video game, but in every other arena it would just be a completely ordinary, unremarkable consumer expectation.

It is en entitlement mindset to think that just because you paid for something means that it has to be perfect and completely trouble-free and that the supplier has to move heaven and earth to make your experience faultless -and that's not just with video games. It's just reality.

Yes, you have a right to complain but acting like you're owed nothing but perfection is without a doubt entitlement.

Sorry, I'm not trying to be hard on you specifically but I had to say this because it's one of the things that makes gaming culture so caustic and adversarial.

PaulloDEC

Why accept this, though? If I buy a product, it ought to work as advertised. For some reason that's considered an "entitlement mindset" when you apply it to a video game, but in every other arena it would just be a completely ordinary, unremarkable consumer expectation.

Partly because Driveclub+ is only one of several games being offered this month (and the others seem accessible as advertised), and partly because I'm a realist. *Shrugs*

So if Sony can't communicate driveclub existence it would look like they gave zero games for Xmas. Have they started advertising lbp3?

I think Sony is banking on third party games this holiday, and we all know that 2015 is going to be the first real wave of first party games for both consoles Right now it is mostly remakes (like Last of Us and the Halo Collection), games availabe on older consoles (Forza and Titanfall), and a few true next generation exclusives (Sunset Overdrive).

Kssio_Aug

I think Sony is banking on third party games this holiday, and we all know that 2015 is going to be the first real wave of first party games for both consoles Right now it is mostly remakes (like Last of Us and the Halo Collection), games availabe on older consoles (Forza and Titanfall), and a few true next generation exclusives (Sunset Overdrive).

Lol. Please dont bring FH2 as a cross-gen game, cause its not like that!

I did really want to give a try since it was free but my PS+ runs out in like 12 days so I doubt I'll get much of a go at it. I likely won't resubscribe for a while since the cost hasn't been worth it for the last few months when I don't have a Vita.

Maybe as a "we're sorry" from the people at Driveclub for this less than stellar launch and disappointing a bunch of people they could reward the PS+ version with another location patched/unlocked in the game. That would cool me off a lil to say the least..

Sami+

I'm actually glad they haven't launched it yet. The servers being overloaded for such a long time seems to imply the game sold better than they expected and launching the Plus version now would only set a bad first impression and delay the servers even longer.

Just launch it when it's ready. Shouldn't be more than a few days at the most.

Servbot24

Banned
so those tests weren't very exhaust, anyways I suppose even though you give your best to avoid this situations, shit happens

The point of testing is to find issues. They found the the issues, which suggests that the testing was in fact exhaustive and helped avoid an even worse situation that could have happened.

Saganator

So how is this different to every other major online game ever, seemingly apart from Destiny? Or is every publisher guilty of 'massive oversight'?

Their oversight was the way they engineered their game. They basically turn their game client into a DDoS client when their servers can't handle the load. As soon as there is a server hiccup and people lose connection, it starts one big positive feedback loop as more and more clients lose connection and start to hammer the servers trying to reconnect, as the server gets hammered, more people lose their connection and their client starts to try reconnecting over and over. See where I'm going?

Their oversight was the way their engineered their game. They basically turn their game client into a DDoS client when their servers can't handle the load. As soon as there is a server hiccup and people lose connection, it starts one big positive feedback loop as more and more clients lose connection and start to hammer the servers as they try to reconnect, as the server gets hammered, more people lose their connection and their client starts to try reconnecting over and over. See where I'm going?

That is funny and sad at the same time.

Was dead set on trying out the demo version today. Bugger. At least Pix the Cat and the slew of other PS+ titles that are up today ease the pain.

Agent X

Maybe as a "we're sorry" from the people at Driveclub for this less than stellar launch and disappointing a bunch of people they could reward the PS+ version with another location patched/unlocked in the game. That would cool me off a lil to say the least..

That's a good idea. I was thinking of something like this as well.

d9b

Banned
It is en entitlement mindset to think that just because you paid for something means that it has to be perfect and completely trouble-free and that the supplier has to move heaven and earth to make your experience faultless -and that's not just with video games. It's just reality.

Yes, you have a right to complain but acting like you're owed nothing but perfection is without a doubt entitlement.
What in the right fuck is this, I can't even.

Goreomedy

Console Market Analyst
I feel for Evo studios. They haven't delivered a broken game. The thing plays like a dream, as far as I'm concerned.

Too bad it looks like Sony had no confidence in the title...

Zalusithix

At a bare minimum, I'm entitled to products I paid for—such as DriveClub PS Plus Edition.

And you'll get it. You'll just have to wait a bit. There was never a contractual guarantee that you were going to get DC at a given time when you paid for PS+. Thus, you're not entitled to have it right now.

I'm actually glad they haven't launched it yet. The servers being overloaded for such a long time seems to imply the game sold better than they expected and launching the Plus version now would only set a bad first impression and delay the servers even longer.

Just launch it when it's ready. Shouldn't be more than a few days at the most.

Sure, it could be that, or it could be that they just didn't have their shit together.

Xando

At a bare minimum, I'm entitled to products I paid for—such as DriveClub PS Plus Edition.

19.Limits on our liability and your rights
As far as permitted by law, we are not responsible or liable for nor do we give warranty or representation in relation to:
(i)The quality, functionality, availability, completeness, accuracy or performance of the SEN or its products;

So much for your "entitlement"

source: PSN TOS

lmbotiva

its hilarious how people is mad about a FREE game being delayed, gaming has changed definitely, thanks to how entitled gamers have become oright

bedlamite

I don't think this is a PSN issue, no? It's a Driveclub issue and it sounds like not enough servers were put up to handle all the new traffic.

Elitro

And this probably will keep happening throughout the gen.

Honestly i think they should have been more flexible with pre-loading options, i'm sure they are well aware of what the servers can handle so they need to think ahead. Why not let players pre-load the free version and only provide an activation key when the game becomes free on store update day?

We can't realistically expect things to always go smooth, but they can help prevent alot of problems as well... many players would be very happy with some single player right now.

gfdoom

I don't understand time and time again why these companies never account for server overload when their online reliant games releases? This happens far to often than it should.

jacobeid

Banned

They'd have to delay the game 11 months for that feature.

lmbotiva

guyz, just go get laid or go to the gym bros. srsly bros, just a game. cod still works jus fine

Corporate Law TOS Defense Force? Interesting.

PS+ isn't free.

Oh yeah, because PS+ is free, isn't it?
you're not paying for pS+ to get games, is to play MP games, free games are part of the program plus as far as i know no one is forcing you to subscribe, if you're in it put up with it, as simple as that

Not really was just reading the new TOS in the other thread.
And thought about the so called entitlement some Gafers like to throw around.

I don't think it's entitlement to expect something to be delivered when it's supposed to be. I mean, there is a clause to deter blame in almost everything ... it's not a loophole to half ass a product, it's a legal out to stop the over zealous from suing.

Did you just try to pacify the masses with COD Ghosts?

petergriffinmillionmanmarch.gif

jus get laid bro, push ups too.

(Just commenting on what others have already said ... not in jest, earlier in the thread. Just found it hilarious)

you're not paying for pS+ to get games, is to play MP games, free games are part of the program plus as far as i know no one is forcing you to subscribe, if you're in it put up with it, as simple as that

How do you know what my reasoning for paying for PS+ is? I don't play MP, I got it FOR DC back at launch before the clusterfuck of a miscommunication and launch. And you contradicted yourself. "You're not paying for PS+ to get games" but "free games are part of the program"? And I probably won't be re-upping. I bought it based on DriveClub being a launch game, it ends in about a month and I really have no interest in a majority of the PS+ games that are released. Thanks for your concern though.

I'm fairly satisfied with their explanation now. Sure, I'd rather be playing the game now, but I can wait a little while until they can sort this out. I'm not sure if other people felt this way, but what bothered me most yesterday wasn't the lack of Driveclub PS Plus Edition, it was the utter silence from everyone about it.

rrc1594

You still need PS+ to play the free version of DC SP or MP

lmbotiva

You still need PS+ to play the free version of DC SP or MP
no, you need PS+ to access MP games, you get DC PS+ as a bonus, that's the truth, people has just become to spoiled and want everything immediately, if you want to play the game so bad go out and buy it, or just wait until the free edition gets released

Top Bottom