• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Driveclub PS Plus Edition Delayed by Server Issues

KyleCross

Why don't they just cancel this version? It's kinda pointless by now, they'd be better off just offering the full game as a PS+ title down the road.

mclem

Why don't they just cancel this version? It's kinda pointless by now, they'd be better off just offering the full game as a PS+ title down the road.

That'd have the same problems; the design issue still needs to be rectified, and if it can't be, it can't come to PS+ at all.

zoobzone

So I got Driveclub last week, played a bit and decided to try multiplayer with my bro.

Is the server still plagued with issues?

I get kicked out of the race just as the race finishes, kicked out of session at random times, party invite sometimes doesn't respond and sometimes we can't enter the same race because one PS4 wouldn't enter the lobby when the event countdown ends.

Fonds

I feel that as of now, with all the work put in post-launch people don't deserve a free edition anymore.

valkyre

Because it is bad business. It will make Evo sound like the next guy who promises you something and then just fails to deliver. It will have a substantial negative impact to the studio's reputation in the industry.

They HAVE to release the PS Plus version. And they will release it, because their reputation is on the line when it comes to this. And I am pretty sure that they will offer more than what they originally planned. Because ES might have fucked up bigtime with the release of Driveclub, but through their continuous support they show that they care about their product.

It will only benefit them if they offer a slightly richer PS plus version.

KyleCross

Because it is bad business. It will make Evo sound like the next guy who promises you something and then just fails to deliver. It will have a substantial negative impact to the studio's reputation in the industry.

They HAVE to release the PS Plus version. And they will release it, because their reputation is on the line when it comes to this. And I am pretty sure that they will offer more than what they originally planned. Because ES might have fucked up bigtime with the release of Driveclub, but through their continuous support they show that they care about their product.

It will only benefit them if they offer a slightly richer PS plus version.

Their reputation is already jacked over this mess.

hesido

So Sony is guilty of what exactly??

Withholding the ls+ edition so the servers dont overload with millions of free users?

Sony is guilty of promoting the game as if it will launch with the Ps4 Plus version, to aid in boosting the positive atmosphere and hype for their platform pre-launch, like they did with 8 days and Getaway and The last guardian for the PS3, but only worse, because they explicitly mentioned the release time frame and gave a very important focus to the game in their key notes, both at reveal and E3, unlike 8 day and getaway which we had to make do with very small snippets of prototype gameplay / environments.

So I got Driveclub last week, played a bit and decided to try multiplayer with my bro.

Is the server still plagued with issues?

I get kicked out of the race just as the race finishes, kicked out of session at random times, party invite sometimes doesn't respond and sometimes we can't enter the same race because one PS4 wouldn't enter the lobby when the event countdown ends.

kicked out of the race just as the race finishes probably because you took too much time, the race finshes 30 sec after the first player has finished it.

Are you sure that everyone in your session has the full game ? You can be kicked and you will prevent other from being in a MP session if someone hasn't downloaded every requirement the race need. it happenned with a friends that got the game digitally and because he lacked some data , he was preventing us from sync with others.

Also there is no party invite ( yet) , just join someone session ( a friend ) if he is online

Why wouldn't they be?

I was originally planning to upgrade from a PS+ version to a full version of this game.

At this point I have absolutely no interest in the game and I have no trust in any future game released from this studio. So I can care less if they ever release the game.

Mabufu

Banned
I was originally planning to upgrade from a PS+ version to a full version of this game.

At this point I have absolutely no interest in the game and I have no trust in any future game released from this studio. So I can care less if they ever release the game.

Worse for you then.

So...because you are not getting a free version you are going to skip a great game? I mean your choice and all that but seems kind of strange. Especially given all the support that the game is getting after release I am happy to support this developer and wish more would do the same.

MMaRsu

Banned
Sony is guilty of promoting the game as if it will launch with the Ps4 Plus version, to aid in boosting the positive atmosphere and hype for their platform pre-launch, like they did with 8 days and Getaway and The last guardian for the PS3, but only worse, because they explicitly mentioned the release time frame and gave a very important focus to the game in their key notes, both at reveal and E3, unlike 8 day and getaway which we had to make do with very small snippets of prototype gameplay / environments.

And the ps+ version actually went up to download in asia region, but was quickly pulled when server problems arose.

Read up on the subject before you jump tp conclusions.

The only thing Sony is guilty of is saving ps+ users from a broken experience.

Yopis

Your loss

ReBurn

Gold Member
So...because you are not getting a free version you are going to skip a great game? I mean your choice and all that but seems kind of strange. Especially given all the support that the game is getting after release I am happy to support this developer and wish more would do the same.

It isn't really all that strange to not support a developer that didn't deliver what some people wanted. After all, the PS+ version isn't free if people have to buy PS+ to get it.

Viruz

Did this thread get bumped to rehash the same arguments?

I'm not mad sony. Just dissapointed.
It's all about EVO reputation from those who didn't play the game...
But those who are playing it know that DRIVECLUB solidified EVO's reputation. Gold tier reputation.
No need for a free demo on PS+ now, or prevent it from going online.

Mabufu

Banned
That, and making a very public promise and failing miserably to deliver on it

What it's done is done. What are you gonna do, cry every fucking day till the end of times and dont get anything? Maybe that people needs attention more than an amazing game.

I call those people kids.

Fonds

Way I see it is that the game sold a million units in its first week. Going on to sell quite well afterwards (with the DC ps4 bundle).
The people that own the game know what evo is worth.

People that are complaining about the lack of a ps+ version and that a lack thereof will hurt evo, might want to reconsider.
There is a strong online community and the game is supported strongly post-launch. All of that results in quite a happy and healthy playerbase. Most of the launch and the online issues have been solved. The cars, tracks, modes and features have doubled.
I think they aren't too fussy about a missing ps+ version and will support coming releases regardless of the shakey launch the game had.

You said you have no interest, but then say you can care less. YOU ARE SENDING MIXED SIGNALS!!!

zoobzone

kicked out of the race just as the race finishes probably because you took too much time, the race finshes 30 sec after the first player has finished it.

Are you sure that everyone in your session has the full game ? You can be kicked and you will prevent other from being in a MP session if someone hasn't downloaded every requirement the race need. it happenned with a friends that got the game digitally and because he lacked some data , he was preventing us from sync with others.

Also there is no party invite ( yet) , just join someone session ( a friend ) if he is online

I'm pretty sure I didn't take too long to finish after the first player. We're both running digital version, however it is fully patched.

I wish I could make a custom lobby and just invite some friends and fill the rest with AI.

You said you have no interest, but then say you can care less. YOU ARE SENDING MIXED SIGNALS!!!

No Mixed signals here... I can care less... I am not expecting a PS+ version and even if they release it I no longer have any interest in playing it. I've moved on...

They chose to release a broken game (after a year delay) and they are the ones who made promises of a free PS+ game yet still can't even deliver that.
So I choose not to support the developer based upon their own actions

So I get it.. you bought the game....It may be great now so Enjoy....

Griss

I'm still waiting, and if I like it I'll buy the full game. The idea that I'm not allowed to feel this way or must be being dishonest is complete bullshit.

I bought a PS4 on day 1 with a PS+ subscription on the promise that I'd get to play a version of Driveclub for no more than that expenditure. More than a demo, less than the full version. I paid for the console, paid for the sub. Now they fail to deliver on that. Am I not entitled to be disappointed, to feel cheated? Am I not entitled to refuse to buy the full version on principle? (As it would be all to easy to promise a PS+ version, then indefinitely postpone it until all those you got interested with your initial promises have actually bought it.)

I'll keep waiting until they release the bloody game or until they announce that it's not feasible (which it doesn't appear to be). The amount of corporate apologizing in this thread is fucking astonishing. And also, like it or not, this is the thread for discussing the delay. Plenty of threads to talk about how much you enjoy the game if that's your angle. But until the PS+ version releases this thread is relevant and should remain at least somewhat active.

No Mixed signals here... I can care less... I am not expecting a PS+ version and even if they release it I no longer have any interest in playing it. I've moved on...

They chose to release a broken game (after a year delay) and they are the ones who made promises of a free PS+ game yet still can't even deliver that.
So I choose not to support the developer based upon their own actions

So I get it.. you bought the game....It may be great now so Enjoy....

He's saying you're sending mixed signals because when you say 'I can care less' it means you do actually care. What you mean to say is 'I couldn't care less' or 'I can't care less'.

bosseye

No Mixed signals here... I can care less...

The phrase is 'couldn't care less' as in, "I already care so little about this, that I couldn't care any less about it if I tried".

If you 'can care less' you're basically saying "I don't care particularly, but I could care less than I do, thus I still retain a passing level of interest"

You're not the only person to write/say it like that though, for some reason this pretty simple concept about how little you care has been twisted into 'can care less' or 'could care less' neither of which which make any sense in the context they're used.

ANYWAY! Driveclub is a brilliant game. Honestly, if you're still sat on the fence about the PS+ version, just buy the damn game, its pretty cheap these days, works well and has bags of content.

I guarantee that when'if the PS+ version drops it will be a disappointment to those who have been waiting for it for the last year and a half or so.

dave is ok

aztek is ok
What it's done is done. What are you gonna do, cry every fucking day till the end of times and dont get anything? Maybe that people needs attention more than an amazing game.

I call those people kids.
You sound a little too personally invested to be rational about this.

epmode

I probably would have bought this game by now if it wasn't for the promise of a PSN Plus trial. Now I'm holding out on principle and I'm rapidly losing interest.

I hope this gets released soon. I've been wanting to try the game for a while now. Didn't the latest patch notes make it seem like the trial version was coming soon?

Oersted

I believe that would be the opposite of entitlement.

Also, this is one of the most embarrassing threads on gaf imo. This thread sparks a lot of emotions out of me.

What makes you so emotionally invested? Company promised something, didn't deliver and consumers remind of that. Seems rational.

I'm pretty sure I didn't take too long to finish after the first player. We're both running digital version, however it is fully patched.

I wish I could make a custom lobby and just invite some friends and fill the rest with AI.

Yep this is a digital version problem.
The patching is a flase indicator as it does give you the content that was released by patches but sometimes you might not have the full game yet. If one of the people in a MP session doesn't have the full game downloaded , the game will kick you out of an event ( for everyone on the session ) . It's a legitimate design to keep friends/playmates together.
The digital version can be playable, but some stuff might have not finished downloading yet. It happens.

A friend had the same problem and once it did finish the download, at that point he could play with us without everyone in the session being kicked out Mp events.

It's all about EVO reputation from those who didn't play the game...
But those who are playing it know that DRIVECLUB solidified EVO's reputation. Gold tier reputation.
No need for a free demo on PS+ now, or prevent it from going online.

They released a broken game even after it was delayed that's Hardly gold tier. I'm still waiting on that psn+ version I was supposed to get when the ps4 launched.

Yikes guys, let's just take a breath for a sec. The PS+ edition received a lot of hype and attention. You can't just drop something like that without some blowback. But obviously the PS+ service wasn't sold just on the promise of Driveclub.

There's some room for reasonableness here between 'omg entitlement!' and 'wtf Sony stole from me!'

P.S. apologies to those coming in here hoping for a Drive club PS+ update because of my bump.

IKizzLE

Can only speak for myself, but in terms of evos reputation during this whole network fiasco, I know that I will not buy one of their games at launch ever again. But their reputation for putting out a great title still exists and I will buy everything they put out in the future because driveclub is so good. (Just not at launch).

IISANDERII

Yikes guys, let's just take a breath for a sec. The PS+ edition received a lot of hype and attention. You can't just drop something like that without some blowback. But obviously the PS+ service wasn't sold just on the promise of Driveclub.

There's some room for reasonableness here between 'omg entitlement!' and 'wtf Sony stole from me!'

P.S. apologies to those coming in here hoping for a Drive club PS+ update because of my bump.
Apology accepted

Vader_Needa.jpg

mclem

There's nothing rational about spending 6 months blaming someone for one mistake.
When time-based subscriptions are involved, I can understand people being concerned.

After all, someone who purchased a PS+ subscription in February 2014 would have reasonably expected to have received access to Driveclub by now. Instead, the subscription has expired, and they have not received that component of it. And as time goes on, more and more subscriptions which were active at the time the game was expected will be expiring.

There's a ticking clock on this, and that's going to affect people's opinion on the subject.

That said, Sony could alleviate this issue by promising a reasonable period of access to the game to anyone who had a sub active during the time it's been inaccessible, even if they don't still have a PS+ sub. I would hope they'd do that. A promise of that nature would strike me as a reasonable gesture that recognises the issues the delay has brought about.

Mabufu

Banned
If it is nondelivery of a product? How come?

When your son makes a mistake, will you be angry at him for 6 months, reminding him what he made every day?

Yes, Evo screwed up. But come on, 6 months of flaming for a nondelivery of a FREE PRODUCT? Cant you spend your time on more profitable things?

When time-based subscriptions are involved, I can understand people being concerned.

After all, someone who purchased a PS+ subscription in February 2014 would have reasonably expected to have received access to Driveclub by now. Instead, the subscription has expired, and they have not received that component of it. And as time goes on, more and more subscriptions which were active at the time the game was expected will be expiring.

There's a ticking clock on this, and that's going to affect people's opinion on the subject.

That said, Sony could alleviate this issue by promising a reasonable period of access to the game to anyone who had a sub active during the time it's been inaccessible, even if they don't still have a PS+ sub.

Driveclub is a social racer mostly, and that's what Evo wants to show. Right now servers cant handle the millions of new users of the free version. When servers gets fixed, you can be sure Evo or Sony will make something for compensation.
But now is just not the moment.

I'm still waiting, and if I like it I'll buy the full game. The idea that I'm not allowed to feel this way or must be being dishonest is complete bullshit.

I bought a PS4 on day 1 with a PS+ subscription on the promise that I'd get to play a version of Driveclub for no more than that expenditure. More than a demo, less than the full version. I paid for the console, paid for the sub. Now they fail to deliver on that. Am I not entitled to be disappointed, to feel cheated? Am I not entitled to refuse to buy the full version on principle? (As it would be all to easy to promise a PS+ version, then indefinitely postpone it until all those you got interested with your initial promises have actually bought it.)

I'll keep waiting until they release the bloody game or until they announce that it's not feasible (which it doesn't appear to be). The amount of corporate apologizing in this thread is fucking astonishing. And also, like it or not, this is the thread for discussing the delay. Plenty of threads to talk about how much you enjoy the game if that's your angle. But until the PS+ version releases this thread is relevant and should remain at least somewhat active.

He's saying you're sending mixed signals because when you say 'I can care less' it means you do actually care. What you mean to say is 'I couldn't care less' or 'I can't care less'.

Ugh, I'm sorry but this is entitlement. I want to play this game but who cares? It's like you guys wanted the broken experience so you can close the chapter on the damn game and never give it another chance because of it or have an excuse to not like the game because of it.

I don't understand how some of you want a great experience but in the same breath do not want to wait for it, so when the broken experience is handed to you, you then want to complain. If the game is still broken, give them the time to fix it. It's like you guys want the BS on top of the BS that is surrounding the game.

This grudge against this game is so tiring now. Of all the games coming out this year, the amount of sales this game has had from various different outlets, Y'all are still complaining about the Demo?

At this point, it's annoying. Either give it up, focus on something else that will be released down the line or buy, rent, whichever you have to do, try it and draw your line in the sand. There is no corporate apologist here. It's people being realistic about something that isn't treating it like "the end of the world" and moving the fuck on. If Sony doesn't deserve your money for the game, they won't get it. It's simple like that. No one is forcing you to wait or buy the game.

MJLord

That said, Sony could alleviate this issue by promising a reasonable period of access to the game to anyone who had a sub active during the time it's been inaccessible, even if they don't still have a PS+ sub.

If you pay for a month of PS+ for just that then it sucks that it didn't come out. But it's just one of those things. You still got the rest of the PSN service, if you chose not to take advantage of that out of spite or whatever just because the PS+ version didn't come out then that's your loss. (Not directed at you directly btw just a general statement)

Have they never commented on the possibility of just releasing an offline PS+ version? Presumably the quality of the graphics and actual racing would sell people on the game (if it was going to at all, that is), and the online stuff would just be something you didn't get to try until you bought the full version.

It sure seems like that would solve most of the issues surrounding this title (as it's not like being online is the only way the game is fun).

dave is ok

aztek is ok
When your son makes a mistake, will you be angry at him for 6 months, reminding him what he made every day?
I care about and love my son. I don't give a fuck about a company full of people I will never meet. I care even less about a company that can't meet deadlines and fulfill PR stunt promises made a year ago.

mclem

Driveclub is a social racer mostly, and that's what Evo wants to show. Right now servers cant handle the millions of new users of the free version. When servers gets fixed, you can be sure Evo or Sony will make something for compensation.
But now is just not the moment.

I hope so, but:

* Some assurances of an offering would not be unreasonable at this stage.
* Some guarantee that those who had a sub at the relevant time will not get ignored, even if they don't have a sub currently, would signify recognition of the time component of this issue.

If you pay for a month of PS+ for just that then it sucks that it didn't come out. But it's just one of those things.

"Ya know, things break"

We're past 'just paying for a month' now, though. I picked February because a year sub from February would now have expired, without having delivered the game.

Given how sub purchases tend to be spread around the year - clustered around Christmas - I don't think it's unreasonable to suggest that more than half of the subs that were active at the point the PS+ version was meant to be released have since expired and been renewed or even gone dead.

You still got the rest of the PSN service, if you chose not to take advantage of that out of spite or whatever just because the PS+ version didn't come out then that's your loss.

You got the rest of the PSN service, yes; it's important to not demean that. But it's also important to indicate that you still didn't get the entirety of what was advertised as on offer.

Wasn't there a Season Pass a while back - I forget what game it was for - that, after selling a bunch and releasing some DLC, they cancelled the final DLC packages? You still got some of what was on offer, but didn't get the full advertised deal? Can't for the life of me remember what game that was, irritatingly.

Top Bottom