• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Driveclub PS Plus Edition Delayed by Server Issues

Mogwai

Have they never commented on the possibility of just releasing an offline PS+ version? Presumably the quality of the graphics and actual racing would sell people on the game (if it was going to at all, that is), and the online stuff would just be something you didn't get to try until you bought the full version.

It sure seems like that would solve most of the issues surrounding this title (as it's not like being online is the only way the game is fun).
It will be called "Drive: Photomode Edition"

The club aspect is ridiculous half-baked anyway.

drotahorror

What makes you so emotionally invested? Company promised something, didn't deliver and consumers remind of that. Seems rational.

Emotionally invested? Naw, I've glanced at this thread probably less than you. But everytime I read a few posts I get a good laugh, or a solid sigh, or a slight tear (kidding). I get that people are passionate about their free stuff but some people take it pretty far.

Friction

Cant believe this isnt yet up. I've honestly gave up. I didnt buy driveclub due to principle, but now i dont even have the urge to try.

I dont think evo are bad developers, but it just pisses me off when devs/pubs don't deliver on what was promised.

When your son makes a mistake, will you be angry at him for 6 months, reminding him what he made every day?

Yes, Evo screwed up. But come on, 6 months of flaming for a nondelivery of a FREE PRODUCT? Cant you spend your time on more profitable things?

You should probably take a step back and stop posting you seem way too emotional about this game. I'm not sure how you can compare a child making a mistake to a large corporation making promises to sell its new product and then never following through with said promise.

You may love Sony as family but that is not how most consumers feel about corporations.

Mabufu

Banned
You should probably take a step back and stop posting you seem way to emotional about this game. I'm not sure how you can compare a child making a mistake to a large corporation making promises to sell its new product and then never following through with said promise.

You may love Sony as family but that is not how most consumers feel about corporations.

I'm not emotional about the game, more about the people, but yeah, I'll relax.

Fonds

It isn't, I get challenges on a regular basis from other clubs and players. It has resulted in a fun rivalry and created a sense of community that other racing games haven't offered me before.

Griss

When your son makes a mistake, will you be angry at him for 6 months, reminding him what he made every day?

Yes, Evo screwed up. But come on, 6 months of flaming for a nondelivery of a FREE PRODUCT? Cant you spend your time on more profitable things?

If a builder forgets to install my new window for a week, I won't hard on his mistake six months later. If the builder still hasn't installed my new window six months later, you can be damn sure I'll still be talking about his mistake.

See the difference? The matter is not closed. Until we get closure one way or the other, the topic remains valid.

Ugh, I'm sorry but this is entitlement. I want to play this game but who cares? It's like you guys wanted the broken experience so you can close the chapter on the damn game and never give it another chance because of it or have an excuse to not like the game because of it.

I don't understand how some of you want a great experience but in the same breath do not want to wait for it, so when the broken experience is handed to you, you then want to complain. If the game is still broken, give them the time to fix it. It's like you guys want the BS on top of the BS that is surrounding the game.

This grudge against this game is so tiring now. Of all the games coming out this year, the amount of sales this game has had from various different outlets, Y'all are still complaining about the Demo?

At this point, it's annoying. Either give it up, focus on something else that will be released down the line or buy, rent, whichever you have to do, try it and draw your line in the sand. There is no corporate apologist here. It's people being realistic about something that isn't treating it like "the end of the world" and moving the fuck on. If Sony doesn't deserve your money for the game, they won't get it. It's simple like that. No one is forcing you to wait or buy the game.

To the bolded sections:
1. We don't want the broken experience, we want the correct experience, and we're frustrated by Evo's ability to deliver a working experience over 18 months since the game was originally set to launch. That's 18 months. Plenty of waiting.
2. It's not a demo and was never advertised as such. Nor is it free. These two fallacies are the most frustrating thing about talking about this topic. It is supposed to be a fully featured game, with less content. That's not a demo.
3. We'll move on when there's closure.

Handy Fake

If a builder forgets to install my new window for a week, I won't hard on his mistake six months later. If the builder still hasn't installed my new window six months later, you can be damn sure I'll still be talking about his mistake.

See the difference? The matter is not closed. Until we get closure one way or the other, the topic remains valid.

The difference is presumably you'd have paid for the window.

This is more "You bought a house from a company and as a favour they said they'd put in a skylight for you. Unfortunately, they didn't realise how popular their houses were going to be so they've had to put that favour on the backburner, but they will do it eventually".

Monster Zero

The only thing about the argument "It's still broken, don't you guys want them to fix it!x" is that it's clearly working well enough to charge people full price for all the content.

Gestault

Use analogies when a topic is hard to understand. This isn't hard to understand.

Something was used as a selling point for a paid subscription service, and it was originally delayed for a year, then put on indefinite hold after the release of a separate paid version. The explanation that the thing holding it up was networking issues. The separate paid version doesn't seem to be suffering from those networking issues at this point.

MMaRsu

Banned

So what if the builder puts in a new window, but it's broken the moment a leaf fly's against it.

The builder then tries 6 months to come up with a window that wont break, ever.

Use analogies when a topic is hard to understand. This isn't hard to understand.

Something was used as a selling point for a paid subscription service, and it was originally delayed for a year, then put on indefinite hold after the release of a separate paid version. The explanation that the thing holding it up was networking issues. The separate paid version doesn't seem to be suffering from those networking issues at this point.

Actually those network issues still persist, and have been ever since the game launched. With a influx of millions of PS+ users, this would probably break the game all over again.

You probably dont play it, or have ever played it otherwise you wouldnt act like they are withholding the free version to sell u the full version.

Justified

This is more "You bought a house from a company and as a favour they said they'd put in a skylight for you. Unfortunately, they didn't realise how popular their houses were going to be so they've had to put that favour on the backburner, but they will do it eventually".

Thing is some people bought that "house" (PS+) because they thought the promise of the skyview (DriveClub+) gave them value for their dollar. Even though they havent "lost" anything, their dollar seems to be devaluing in their eyes

Pillville

The PS+ version was not a favor. It was a selling point for PS+ subscriptions.

I promised myself I wouldn't post in this thread, but you pulled me in with the "favor" analogy...... damn it......

Handy Fake

Speaking of hard to understand, there's a small difference between an install base for a paid game, and opening up a graphical showcase for free download and play to a userbase of 20m+.

Thing is some people bought that "house" (PS+) because they thought the promise of the skyview (DriveClub+) gave them value for their dollar. Even though they havent "lost" anything, their dollar seems to be devaluing in their eyes

The PS+ version was not a favor. It was a selling point for PS+ subscriptions.

I promised myself I wouldn't post in this thread, but you pulled me in with the "favor" analogy...... damn it......

Shit happens. It's not working. I'd understand the vitriol if they'd just brushed the whole thing under the rug and pretended it never happened, but they've been fairly up front around the whole issue.

Griss

In your example you could absolutely sue for specific performance for installation of the skylight assuming they made the promise before you bought the house, so I reckon that's a bad example.

And that's the point. You don't get to promise something, accept someone's money and then say 'well that was only a part of the promise, only a favour really'. 'Kinda wasn't sure whether I'd get around to it.' Contracts, verbal, written or otherwise do not work like that. You deliver what is promised once the price is paid. In the case of PS+ I believe they have terms in the PS+ agreement stating that the availability of games can change at any time that gets (or might get) them off the hook in this specific instance, but the moral point stands. (What really matters to Sony is that nobody's going to sue on such a trivial matter anyway.) Advertising works in a similar way, unless the consumer could not reasonably have accepted the ad was real (or the amount paid / type of goods requires a written contract in order to be valid) then you need to deliver on what was advertised. (Pepsi's harrier jump jet commercial is a famous example of this in reverse - in that case it was clearly not a real offer.)

I only bring up this legal discussion to reinforce the point that Sony is not delivering what was promised, advertised and paid for, and that's not really acceptable in any industry. I realize that they still might do so, but it would be nice to have an ETA or an update at the very least.

cakely

I was originally planning to upgrade from a PS+ version to a full version of this game.

At this point I have absolutely no interest in the game and I have no trust in any future game released from this studio. So I can care less if they ever release the game.

At this point I wish people's "lack of interest" in this game would translate into a lack of interest in posting in this thread.

(also, it's "couldn't care less". sorry. pet peeve.)

MMaRsu

Banned
In your example you could absolutely sue for specific performance for installation of the skylight assuming they made the promise before you bought the house, so I reckon that's a bad example.

And that's the point. You don't get to promise something, accept someone's money and then say 'well that was only a part of the promise, only a favour really'. 'Kinda wasn't sure whether I'd get around to it.' Contracts, verbal, written or otherwise do not work like that. You deliver what is promised once the price is paid. In the case of PS+ I believe they have terms in the PS+ agreement stating that the availability of games can change at any time that gets (or might get) them off the hook in this specific instance, but the moral point stands. (What really matters to Sony is that nobody's going to sue on such a trivial matter anyway.) Advertising works in a similar way, unless the consumer could not reasonably have accepted the ad was real (or the amount paid / type of goods requires a written contract in order to be valid) then you need to deliver on what was advertised. (Pepsi's harrier jump jet commercial is a famous example of this in reverse - in that case it was clearly not a real offer.)

I only bring up this legal discussion to reinforce the point that Sony is not delivering what was promised, advertised and paid for, and that's not really acceptable in any industry. I realize that they still might do so, but it would be nice to have an ETA or an update at the very least.

I agree with you but the devs have been up front and ave given plenty of updates. In the previous patch the patch notes stated server improvements to enable the release of the ps+ version.

I mostly see ppl in these threads who have not kept up at all with Driveclub, and only read these threads and bitch and moan about the "free" ps+ demo.

NickFire

Ugh, I'm sorry but this is entitlement.

Consumers (who subscribed before the "delay") were sold a very specific bill of goods that still has not been delivered. Feeling entitled to have a conglomerate provide what was offered, and paid for, is not worthy of using the word entitlement in a derogatory way.

Seriously people, even Sony knows they screwed up here. Hence, their failure to just announce they cancelled the PS+ version.

Quixzlizx

The people who are the angriest at Evolution are the people who aren't willing to pay for the game. That doesn't seem like a catastrophic problem for them, since the L they took for the launch issues is a sunk cost.

Justified

Speaking of hard to understand, there's a small difference between an install base for a paid game, and opening up a graphical showcase for free download and play to a userbase of 20m+.

Shit happens. It's not working. I'd understand the vitriol if they'd just brushed the whole thing under the rug and pretended it never happened, but they've been fairly up front around the whole issue.

Seem to be you are hedging your bets....First you say It was "a favor, chill out, it wasnt promised"(para) , now you are saying "Shit happen, oh well, at least they are open about it" (para)

FYI, Im not pissed at EVO or Sony. However I understand some people are, and post calling them entitled (some are though), is just as uncalled for

Lothars

I am sure they will update you when they feel it's ready to go, I don't think they should update saying it's coming and that's it would be worst than not saying anything at all about it until it's ready to be released and the servers are ready to handle it.

I want to play drive club and I am looking forward to the PSN + version but I am not upset that it's not out and I think it's pretty insane some of the posters bitching about the ps+ version.

Consumers (who subscribed before the "delay") were sold a very specific bill of goods that still has not been delivered. Feeling entitled to have a conglomerate provide what was offered, and paid for, is not worthy of using the word entitlement in a derogatory way.

Seriously people, even Sony knows they screwed up here. Hence, their failure to just announce they cancelled the PS+ version.
it's because that version is not cancelled. ps+ users got compensation for it in regards to a different game that replaced it on PS+ but it doesn't mean it won't come out. I would just rather have a working version than something that will cause more issues.

Yeah, I figured the club thing was going to disappoint when I learned it capped out at 6 people. When they first talked about the game, I was picturing the kind of thing I'd join with like, 50 people from a given forum or something. A big group.

Handy Fake

Seem to be you hedging your bets....First you say It was "a favor, chill out, it wasnt promised"(para) , now you are saying "Shit happen, oh well, at least they are open about it" (para)

FYI, Im not pissed at EVO or Sony. However I understand some people are, and post calling them entitled (some are though), is just as uncalled for

Nah, I kind of changed it a bit when it was mentioned that it was part of the subscription promise. But only as a slight addendum as (personally) I don't think the majority of people who mention it actually bought the subscription as a reason but are using it as a stick to beat Sony with.

But you need to be careful on here, anything you say can be picked apart 'til not even the marrow is left. :D

For what it's worth, I think those that are truly interested in the game would have bought it by now, especially with all the updates. So I can kind of understand the "entitlement" arguments when it's clear that a lot of people have just been promised something - anything - free and damn it they want it.

If you get me. ;)

I tried to stay off the this thread in all honesty, but sometimes you just get dragged in. I get baffled by people's attitudes sometimes, I'd love to see a demographic, haha.

You bought ps+ with the promise of a demo?

Exactamundo.

MMaRsu

Banned

They havent cancelled it.

They launched it when it was supposed to go up, but then quickly pulled it.

They are trying to fix the game to enable the release of the ps+ version.

Do you want a broken game? Because thats what it sounds like

Pillville

You bought ps+ with the promise of a demo?

No, with this promise:
ab3.jpg

and, it it wasn't the ONLY reason I got PS+, but it was part of the PAID deal, so I'm allowed to feel cheated when it's not delivered.

and, and here's where I exit. I can only complete the loop of endless arguments so many times.
You're ok with paying for something and not getting it, I'm not. The End.

NickFire

it's because that version is not cancelled. ps+ users got compensation for it in regards to a different game that replaced it on PS+ but it doesn't mean it won't come out. I would just rather have a working version than something that will cause more issues.

I hope you're right, but I'm not holding my breath. It seems that the consensus is the infrastructure cant handle a PS+ version. If so, will they really be investing money into upgrades for a PS+ version if they haven't already?

Justified

Nah, I kind of changed it a bit when it was mentioned that it was part of the subscription promise. But only as a slight addendum as (personally) I don't think the majority of people who mention it actually bought the subscription as a reason but are using it as a stick to beat Sony with.

But you need to be careful on here, anything you say can be picked apart 'til not even the marrow is left. :D

For what it's worth, I think those that are truly interested in the game would have bought it by now, especially with all the updates. So I can kind of understand the "entitlement" arguments when it's clear that a lot of people have just been promised something - anything - free and damn it they want it.

If you get me. ;)

I tried to stay off the this thread in all honesty, but sometimes you just get dragged in. I get baffled by people's attitudes sometimes, I'd love to see a demographic, haha.

Exactamundo.

Same here

At this point I wish people's "lack of interest" in this game would translate into a lack of interest in posting in this thread.

(also, it's "couldn't care less". sorry. pet peeve.)

Well technically I could care less..... My disgust could turn to pure hate.... :)

autoduelist

No, it's even more abstracted than that. They realized the skylight has a manufacturer defect and leaks badly... and some people want it installed anyway instead of letting the manufacturer fix the defect.

Those asking for an offline only version -- that would be a massive amount of work. You'd be making a whole new game, practically. Game development doesn't work like that, you can't just easily strip things out that are deeply ingrained into the existing systems.

Those asking for recompense if they no longer have ps+ at time of release -- maybe? but Sony would have its hands tied and are limited to the systems they currently have in place. that is, if you don't have ps+ now you don't have ps+ now. there's no way built into their systems to temporarily give non-ps+ members ps+ games (and there shouldn't be). given how cheap ps+ is per month, and all the other stuff we did get, perhaps a 50cent coupon would make up for it.

Pezus

No, with this promise:
ab3.jpg

and, it it wasn't the ONLY reason I got PS+, but it was part of the PAID deal, so I'm allowed to feel cheated when it's not delivered.

and, and here's where I exit. I can only complete the loop of endless arguments so many times.
You're ok with paying for something and not getting it, I'm not. The End.

they meant first year after DC release

mclem

Those asking for recompense if they no longer have ps+ at time of release -- maybe? but Sony would have its hands tied and are limited to the systems they currently have in place. that is, if you don't have ps+ now you don't have ps+ now. there's no way built into their systems to temporarily give non-ps+ members ps+ games (and there shouldn't be). given how cheap ps+ is per month, and all the other stuff we did get, perhaps a 50cent coupon would make up for it.

Make it a separate subscription (in terms of how it's implemented internally, not in terms of a charge); I'm pretty sure they have systems in place for multiple distinct subscription memberships. Distribute a code giving an appropriate amount of time for that sub. Said sub is also activated free with an active PS+ sub. That should be implementable without jumping through too many hoops, I think, but it does depend somewhat on exactly what exists internally.

No, it's even more abstracted than that. They realized the skylight has a manufacturer defect and leaks badly... and some people want it installed anyway instead of letting the manufacturer fix the defect.

Well, if we're going with this analogy, it's not that 'some people want it installed anyway'; Very few people - if any - are advocating for that. It's that "Some people are annoyed that the skylight heavily promoted and now can't be delivered due to this defect.".

Mind you, that analogy still doesn't take into account the time component. So, in the interests of conveying this viewpoint to those who downplay it, let's try another wacky analogy, because compounding bad analogies onto bad analogies never makes anything worse.

You're planning a trip to Vegas on Expedia, and you see a damn good deal. Book with this hotel, and included in the package is a voucher for hot-tub-only membership of the famous spa next door for as long as your stay lasts! Just show your room key and the voucher, and you'll get unlimited use of the hot tub until you head home.

You get there, and get your voucher. You go to the spa - on the opening night, even! - and... it's closed. Demand's so great, they're having to turn people away at the door. Also, it appears the aircon is broken, so no-one who's in there is having a particularly pleasant experience right now. You're politely requested to come back tomorrow. Given this is an exceptional circumstance, fair enough.

The following day, you go to the spa, and there's a sign on the door; "Spa access only for lifetime members.". Apparently, against all logic and reason, the aircon can only cope with a building occupancy of a hundred. Even with only lifetime members, it's not really coping properly. You go back to the hotel.

The following day, the spa has called out an engineer, and the aircon has been vastly improved. It can now support multiple hundreds of people in the building. But it's still open only to people with a lifetime membership - who, by all accounts, are having a fantastic time now. However, a few of them remember the unpleasantness of that first day, and strongly do not want any of these voucher holders to be able to come in and use the hot tub; that might kill the aircon again! You are told that if you care that much about the hot tub, you should probably buy a lifetime membership; it's a bit cheaper now, and you'll get so much more than just the hot tub for it. But, well, you probably don't need more than the hot tub, really. If you really like the hot tub, perhaps you'll stretch to the lifetime membership. But you do really want to have the hot tub, for a bit of relaxation in the short term. After all, you've got a voucher!

Each day passes, and there's vague assurances that the aircon will be fixed to cope with the thousands of potential visitors at some point in the future. And that's encouraging, and you feel sorry for the poor engineers who are struggling with a difficult situation. But it's still the case that you have this voucher, and you can't use it.

And so you, once again, go back to the hotel. You'll start wondering if you'll get a chance to use this voucher, or if your trip will end without having had the opportunity to make use of the hot tub that - while in no way the entire attraction of the stay - was definitely a factor in your purchase choice.

Handy Fake

Those asking for an offline only version -- that would be a massive amount of work. You'd be making a whole new game, practically. Game development doesn't work like that, you can't just easily strip things out that are deeply ingrained into the existing systems.

Oof.

Yes.

I think it would be quite funny if they sent out a leaky skylight as way of compensation now though. It would appeal to me.

gatisimo

OK thanks. I've only seen it at that price in the EU store. I would jump in immediately if I could get it with my US account (for $30, not just $15).

schaft0620

OK thanks. I've only seen it at that price in the EU store. I would jump in immediately if I could get it with my US account (for $30, not just $15).

Its going for about ~$30 now on Ebay, its full price everywhere else. It was $30 throughout the holiday sales.

MMaRsu

Banned

Didnt I tell you to buy it from the eu store? As long as your ps4 is set tp primary on the account you buy Driveclub with you can play with your main profile, offline and online.

hesido

And the ps+ version actually went up to download in asia region, but was quickly pulled when server problems arose.

Read up on the subject before you jump tp conclusions.

The only thing Sony is guilty of is saving ps+ users from a broken experience.

I thought Sony was not releasing DriveClub for the fun of it. Thanks for the clarification.

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
People still crying about spending $50 on a demo when they can get the full game for $15?

You know it's bannable to straight make shit up to drive a point home, right?
Unless you can show me where I can get the full game for $15, put up or shut up... I'll put my own money on the line, $15 and I'm ready to click on the purchase button.

MMaRsu

Banned
You know it's bannable to straight make shit up to drive a point home, right?
Unless you can show me where I can get the full game for $15, put up or shut up... I'll put my own money on the line, $15 and I'm ready to click on the purchase button.

27 dollars on the European store.

Top Bottom