• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Due to demand, Nintendo used unusual and costly air freight to ship Switches faster

mugwhump

I'd like to know when units arriving at stores today were manufactured. I'm assuming everything sold in March was made prior to March third, possibly excepting the air shipments.

The WSJ reported in early/mid March that Nintendo was doubling production, so I'm wondering when those will show up on shelves, or if they've already shown up.

TimPV3

I remember reading about Sony doing the same thing for the slim PS2 back in 2004.

This doesn't add much to the discussion, I'm just proud of my brain for remembering.

rockyt

Again, a personal single package does not = a commercial pallet of products at business rates. Nintendo did not even overnight express these, they could have just used a 5 day economy service because they only needed to be faster that the 6 weeks it would have taken a boat.

Its still pretty pricey for consumer and business to ship air either way.

Cerium

If Nintendo squeezes every part supplier and factory, I wonder what their maximum output for the year would be.

I recall reading 16 million or so? Sheesh, it won't be enough.

Speely

Banned
Discounts or not, expedited shipments (even if that merely means "expedited" vs boat freight) decrease profits on the products you are shipping. This is true of any product ever, whether they enjoy discounts or not. If you enjoy discounts on expedited shipping due to volume, you also enjoy discounts on normal shipping due to volume. Without knowing the exact relationship Nintendo has with the carriers they use, this is all just academic.

The exact amount doesn't matter as much as Nintendo shipping a number of units at less profit. Again, that is promising. It shows confidence in the product's longevity. I would not be surprised to see production ramp up soon.

samn

So they're helping to destroy the environment, but who cares if people get their game console that plays ports from an older game console faster. SMH

Nintendo originally planned to ship 2 million Switches worldwide by March 31st, which 2 million sold in March would have still been considered a success. I imagine these air freight were the extra 740,000 units sold past projection.

I always felt like Nintendo was overly optimistic about selling 2 million units in the first month, and the vast majority of GAF thought the Switch was DOA. So I don't think really anyone expected demand to be this high out the gate.
To me, Wii U is like Vista, and Switch is like Windows 7. It does not necessarily do anything revolutionary. It just actually delivers on the promise of the previous generation, and fixes previous issues.

J@hranimo

Banned
airplane-departing.jpeg

Thank you for posting this lol

CJY

Banned
That's nice that they did that but it gives me the impression that they aren't super confident.

I don't blame them after WiiU.

Hopefully it all goes better than expected for Nintendo.

Don't did the same thing with the PS2 in its early days. I suppose air freight may have been cheaper back then? Either way, I don't see how it's a show of low-confidence

_Clash_

If Nintendo squeezes every part supplier and factory, I wonder what their maximum output for the year would be.

I recall reading 16 million or so? Sheesh, it won't be enough.

Seriously.

Reading the room makes me think Switch is gonna be real hard to get for most of 2017 and will be a sellout Christmas

8mil/ year for two months= 1.3mil
16mil/ year for 9 months= 12mil

Nintendo can get 13mil Switches out without overtime to meet 2017 demand

Speely

Banned
Aeroplanes causing huge environmental damage is not a conspiracy theory.

I hope you only ever buy digital from companies who never release physical copies of games and you only own platforms bought locally that you run on solar power.

oti

Banned
So they're helping to destroy the environment, but who cares if people get their game console that plays ports from an older game console faster. SMH

So how exactly did the Switch break GAF? What happened.

Salvadora

I remember when I lost my bank card abroad and had to get the replacement airfreighted to me by DHL.

Cost me around £40 for the equivalent of an envelope.

So yeah, it's expensive as fuck.

Hcoregamer00

The 'H' stands for hentai.
So how exactly did the Switch break GAF? What happened.

You think it is bad now, wait until switch get date and day mutilplatform games.

It gets even worse when the switch starts getting exclusive games.

It will get way worse when games that used to be exclusive on other platforms become switch exclusive.

VegiHam

I saw a lady in Best Buy pubicly cursing Sony that it was their fault they don't have enough PS2s and they were doing it on purpose. It was actually kind of funny that some consumers think that these companies are purposefully limiting their supplies of systems to create demand. Silly people.

12 years ago. Nothing changes.

Tubie

The Switch being this successful has driven some people borderline insane.

I'm actually amazed Nintendo was willing to take a $45 hit just to get more consoles out a bit faster.

Here's to hoping things stabilize a bit before the Mario frenzy in the fall.

geordiemp

Its easy to say but they should of ramped production before release date and had 4 or 5 million for first few months. Sony budgeted for 18 million first year whatever, if Ps4 was not as popular Sony would have warehoused but they were brave....

Worst case is Nintendo would have to warehouse a few, but Nintendo have enough money and sometimes i think they are really SCOTTISH (tight as a ducks arse).

I am Scottish so dont be upset if you are as well lol

Cerium

The Switch being this successful has driven some people borderline insane.

I'm actually amazed Nintendo was willing to take a $45 hit just to get more consoles out a bit faster.

They're going to have to cancel the Pokemon Stars reveal at this rate. They've got public safety to think about.

ASIS

Nice, last time Nintendo had an in-demand product they discontinued it.

Not even Nintendo expected this system to take off.

That's nice that they did that but it gives me the impression that they aren't super confident.

I don't blame them after WiiU.

Hopefully it all goes better than expected for Nintendo.

They could just make more of them instead of it costing more to ship fewer out faster.

What an incredibly poorly managed company.

Thanks so much for letting people give you money to buy your game console. really generous.

Wow. This company is amazing. I love this brand for selling me this new product

Nintendo needs to invest in better business managers, once and for all.

if they're not making at least $45 per unit then they are idiots.

Outstanding.

jaina

They did, but they were completely caught off guard at the magnitude at which it took off.

I'm honestly surprised myself; March isn't exactly the time for people to drop hundreds of dollars into a shiny new tech toy, Zelda is really far from the "Wii Sports" type of game that has universal appeal, and at launch there wasn't anything other than 1-2-Switch (which afaik didn't set the world on fire).
Tax returns make March a better time than e.g. June.
I agree with the rest

They're going to have to cancel the Pokemon Stars reveal at this rate. They've got public safety to think about.

Not only that, they need to strongly consider the environmental impact of selling commercial products at retail. Especially since Stars is just a port from an older game console.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup

But first there's Splatoon frenzy in summer, and maybe Pokémon frenzy before Mario. The Pokémon frenzy would dwarf all other frenzies. They're gonna need a few more Switch factories.

antonz

Pretty sure there was a period with the Wii they were doing the same thing. Accelerating Production alone isn't enough due to the transit periods from factory to retail. So its pretty much inevitable if demand is high that you are forced to ship product by air while everything gets smoothed out.

I mean its a good problem to have as it means the product is in demand but Nintendo would also obviously want to get the supply chain from factory to Retail smoothed out

Top Bottom