• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Durante Presents: FFXIII resolution unlocking (GeDoSaTo plugin) released - pre-alpha

I wish steam home streaming actually worked for me (my building is too large, machines go through 2 routers and a powerline adapter) so I could play this on the family computer (which doesn't have enough hard drive space). I just don't get to spend enough time in my chamber of solitude where the gaming PC is.

Parsnip

I thought someone made a repacker?

As far as I know, they made a repacker that works on the big filelist archives. Textures are inside xgr/imgb filecombo that are inside the big archives. It's possible to extract those if you fiddle around with noesis a bit, but can't repack them.

TheTux

I thought someone made a repacker?

Did they? I'd take care of the UI right now if someone could point me to the extraction tool and repacker.

As far as I know, they made a repacker that works on the big filelist archives. Textures are inside xgr/imgb filecombo that are inside the big archives. It's possible to extract those if you fiddle around with noesis a bit, but can't repack them.

FFXIII Extractor Tool

TheTux

That's the one I was talking about, it only does filelist+img/scr combos afaik.

Final Fantasy XIII extraction/repacking command line tool. v1.0

Program is supposed to be used in command line, but there's a few batch files for the most obvious actions.

There's 3 different ways to use the tool:
- Extract all files from a container file. Example: ff13tool -x filelist_scrc.win32.bin white_scrc.win32.bin
- Repack all files into a container file. Note that it requires the filelist as it uses it as base. It has a limitation that it can't add new files, it'll compress the same files as the ones listed in filelist. Example: ff13tool -c filelist_scrc.win32.bin white_scrc
- Import one file into container file. Repacking an entire container file is slow since they're so big, so this is intended for quick iteration on testing mods. Note that it appends file data to the end of the container file, so it'll make the container file larger each time you do this. Example: ff13tool -i filelist_scrc.win32.bin white_scrc.win32.bin white_scrc/chr/pc/c205/bin/c205.win32.trb

Some notes:
- This is only tested with PC version of FFXIII. I don't know if it works on 360 and PS3 versions.
- As mentioned above, since new filelist is based on the old filelist, the tool can't add all new files. It has to be replacing files already in the container file.
- Zone container files can be extracted/repacked too. Their corresponding filelists is in white_imgc.win32.bin.
- Any container file with "c" are Japanese files, and any container file with "u" are English files. Many of these are actually identical. There's no difference between white_scrc.win32.bin and white_scru.win32.bin
- I have no idea what white_scrc.win32.sdat is used for. I have tried experimenting with it and I couldn't see any ingame effect. It might not actually be used for anything.
- The batch files are configured to extract/repack the img and scr Japanese container files.

From the readme file.

Parsnip

From the readme file.

Yeah? You are going to have be a bit more specific what you are saying here.

Have you actually used it? Because it seems like you are misinterpreting the readme or something. It unpacks and repacks those filelist+img/src containers and does a fine job at that. And like it says, it can also import single files back to the archive.

None of that helps if we can't actually edit the files. For that we need something that can also unpack and repack xgr+imgb containers, because those are the files where the textures live.

Sectus

Hi, I made that FF13 tool!

And yes, it extracts/repacks the big container files and it doesn't do anything related to texture or model formats. People have figured out texture and model formats though, since there are tools to mess around with them from 360 or PS3 versions of the game. But no one has updated any tools to do that for PC version. I assume those formats are still the same except for different endian.

Edit: Took a brief look at some of this. The IMGB files contain a sequence of raw DDS image data. Like this: http://abload.de/img/ff13texture3boe0.png

Some XGR files seem complex. I guess it might contain animation data for UI elements? I see some info near the end of the files which I think are the actual headers for the texture data (there's values which corresponds to resolutions of textures in IMGB).

It'd probably be doable to create a tool which can extract textures, and inject it back into the IMGB files.

Parsnip

Hi, I made that FF13 tool!

And yes, it extracts/repacks the big container files and it doesn't do anything related to texture or model formats. People have figured out texture and model formats though, since there are tools to mess around with them from 360 or PS3 versions of the game. But no one has updated any tools to do that for PC version. I assume those formats are still the same except for different endian.

Edit: Took a brief look at some of this. The IMGB files contain a sequence of raw DDS image data. Like this: http://abload.de/img/ff13texture3boe0.png

Some XGR files seem complex. I guess it might contain animation data for UI elements? I see some info near the end of the files which I think are the actual headers for the texture data (there's values which corresponds to resolutions of textures in IMGB).

It'd probably be doable to create a tool which can extract textures, and inject it back into the IMGB files.
Noesis can also view and extract (but not repack) the textures in their non-garbled form if you rename the files to .ps3. instead of .win32. (does that mean the endian is the same? I don't know how that stuff works at all). That's how I grabbed the UI/font/etc textures that I posted a few pages back.

Thanks for taking a look, by the way.

Sectus

Noesis can also view and extract (but not repack) the textures in their non-garbled form if you rename the files to .ps3. instead of .win32. (does that mean the endian is the same? I don't know how that stuff works at all). That's how I grabbed the UI/font/etc textures that I posted a few pages back.

Thanks for taking a look, by the way.

Maybe it uses same endian as PS3 version. Can it read models if you rename model filenames from win32 to ps3?

TheTux

Yeah? You are going to have be a bit more specific what you are saying here.

Have you actually used it? Because it seems like you are misinterpreting the readme or something. It unpacks and repacks those filelist+img/src containers and does a fine job at that. And like it says, it can also import single files back to the archive.

None of that helps if we can't actually edit the files. For that we need something that can also unpack and repack xgr+imgb containers, because those are the files where the textures live.

I don't know anything about modding, I just copypasted it here so that maybe someone will find it useful.

Edit: Is there some way to extract the world 3D model and open it with like Autodesk Maya? I have a student license and would like to mess around with it but I know nothing of 3D/game files.

Avallon

GeDoSaTo is giving me a very weird bug. When I run Final Fantasy my mouse gets "stuck" outside the game and clicking instantly minimizes the game. I can play with a controller without this happening, but as soon as i even click my mouse once, the game minimizes. Is this a common problem? Is there a fix?

This is when playing on full screen on a dual monitor setup.

Painguy

Hey guys! sorry to bug, but I have the GeDeSaTo tool running, but the game is still at 720p and runs at 30fps, but GeDeSaTo says it's downsampling. Thanks for the tool Durante!

Hey guys! sorry to bug, but I have the GeDeSaTo tool running, but the game is still at 720p and runs at 30fps, but GeDeSaTo says it's downsampling. Thanks for the tool Durante!

In the main config where it says resolution, make sure that matches your monitor's native resolution. Leaving that with 0's causes crashes for me, and setting it to anything besides your native resolution will make it not use the correct resolution.

As for 30fps... You're pretty much at the mercy of whatever there. The game seems to have issues running at high frame rates on just about every machine.

Melchior

Is there anyway to just have the game run in 1920x1080. I've changed settings in the gedosato.ini and ffxiiimg.ini but it still downsamples from 3840x2160. I don't care for any downsampling just want 1080p

BONKERS

Is there anyway to just have the game run in 1920x1080. I've changed settings in the gedosato.ini and ffxiiimg.ini but it still downsamples from 3840x2160. I don't care for any downsampling just want 1080p

Replace the contents of your GeDoSaTo FFXIIIMG .ini file with this

Code:
# Lines starting with "#" are ignored by GeDoSaTo and used to provide documentation

# This is a profile file for ffxiiiimg

## Rendering Resolution
# can't select res in-game so write it here
clearRenderResolutions
renderResolution 1920x1080@60

## Anti Aliasing
# MSAA sample count, default 4, other options: 2, 8
# higher = higher performance impact
MSAASampleCount 4
# Enable coverage sampling (CSAA on NV, EQAA on AMD) if HW supports it
# (improvement for small performance hit)
enableCoverageSampling false

# The type of scaling you want to use.
# bilinear: what GPUs generally do, cheap performance-wise
# bicubic: higher quality, more expensive performance-wise
# lanczos: higher quality and sharp, most expensive performance-wise
# nearest: extremely cheap, generally ugly, but useful to upsample retro games
scalingType nearest

forceAnisoLevel 16

## Shadow Resolution
# 1 = default
# sensible values: 2, 4, 8 (extreme)
# higher numbers = larger performance impact
shadowScale 4

## Required settings, don't change
injectPSHash 1329c9bf
maxScreenshotParallelism -1
forceRenderRes true

Code:
# Lines starting with "#" are ignored by GeDoSaTo and used to provide documentation

# This is a profile file for ffxiiiimg

## Rendering Resolution
# can't select res in-game so write it here
clearRenderResolutions
[B]renderResolution 1920x1080@60[/B]

## Anti Aliasing
# MSAA sample count, default 4, other options: 2, 8
# higher = higher performance impact
MSAASampleCount 4
# Enable coverage sampling (CSAA on NV, EQAA on AMD) if HW supports it
# (improvement for small performance hit)
enableCoverageSampling false

# The type of scaling you want to use.
# bilinear: what GPUs generally do, cheap performance-wise
# bicubic: higher quality, more expensive performance-wise
# lanczos: higher quality and sharp, most expensive performance-wise
# nearest: extremely cheap, generally ugly, but useful to upsample retro games
scalingType nearest

forceAnisoLevel 16

## Shadow Resolution
# 1 = default
# sensible values: 2, 4, 8 (extreme)
# higher numbers = larger performance impact
shadowScale 4

## Required settings, don't change
injectPSHash 1329c9bf
maxScreenshotParallelism -1
forceRenderRes true

That also shadow scales 4x, and forces 16x ansio, which isn't exactly what they asked for. I bolded the only thing that needs to be changed in the FFXIII config to run in 1080p.

Melchior

Yea those are the settings that I mentioned I changed. Thought I was doing something wrong but I guess not. Still getting this message
s3EZ57L.png

BONKERS

That also shadow scales 4x, and forces 16x ansio, which isn't exactly what they asked for. I bolded the only thing that needs to be changed in the FFXIII config to run in 1080p.

Even then, those are essential improvements IMO!

If you are playing native, Nearest resampling is needed.

Shadow scale has barely any performance impact.
16xAF fixes ugly 2D scaling to some degree

Yea those are the settings that I mentioned I changed. Thought I was doing something wrong but I guess not. Still getting this message

Are you sure you're hitting save after changing them? Or that if you installed GeDoSaTo to program files/etc to run as administrator (or it won't be able to save changes correctly). That is the only thing you should have to change.

Hey I now this thread is for FFXIII, but is there a way to use Gedosato with Prince of Persia (2008)?

Most games will work okay without any special settings, just edit the whitelist and add the name of the game exe to that. The upscale resolutions will appear amongst the normal resolutions (if it supports multiple resolutions by default).

Melchior

Levyne

Banned
Ugh, I get immediate crashes to the desktop trying to run with gedosato now.

My code is pretty much what bonkers put up there, only 4k (I've tried with 1080p too) and bicubic, not nearest. Also I'm using ffxiiiimg with the _user at the end, that's correct right?

Does my base configuration _user file matter?

Edit: Okay, I can run it now using that windowed borderless tool. Framerate is still wonky but I guess it's going to be. So last thing I want to fix is this issue, can't someone tell me what's going on here?

ALso my steam overlay notifications and gedosato status at the top are still being "sticky"

is there any way to make it work with a 16:10 monitor without the stretching?

edit: actually 3840x2160 works well, but my pc is too old for this kind of resolution. I tried 1920x1080 but there is all kind of flickering instead of the black bars. forcing fullscreen or borderless fullscreen on gedosato make the game crash on startup. 1680x1050 works but as I said with stretching (no black bars) and the text is somewhat pixelated (side effect of the stretching?)

[Fugo]

It's working fine on my 16:10 monitor, no stretching.
Just set your monitor native 16:10 resolution as the target resolution, and any proper 16:9 resolution as the internal rendering resolution.

BONKERS

edit: actually 3840x2160 works well, but my pc is too old for this kind of resolution. I tried 1920x1080 but there is all kind of flickering instead of the black bars. forcing fullscreen or borderless fullscreen on gedosato make the game crash on startup. 1680x1050 works but as I said with stretching (no black bars) and the text is somewhat pixelated (side effect of the stretching?)

If you change the scaling in NVCP for Nvidia cards, the driver should letterbox it without issues for you.

Try creating 1680x945 as a custom resolution, set scaling to aspect ratio

Daeoc

FINAL FANTASY XIII December Update
NOVEMBER 11 - SE_ROSSI
Hello,

The FINAL FANTASY XIII team have been working hard to improve your experience on Steam and we're happy to announce the following changes will be rolled out at the beginning of December.

■ All versions
Custom resolutions (720p, 1080p...) and graphic options will be added.

We'll be in touch as soon as we're ready for the next one!

SQUARE ENIX

http://steamcommunity.com/games/292120/announcements/detail/251401353223653928

Sounds like they are patching this a week or two before they release FFXIII-2, which will probably have the same graphic options that they are going to give to FFXIII. Looking forward to seeing if this will also fix performance(the 30 to 60 changes).

Garteal

Awesome, thanks for sharing!

XIII-2 will support higher resolutions from the get-go this time looking at the steam page.
Now Enhanced for Windows PC
Including a range of the downloadable content from the original console, plus the choice for either English or Japanese voiceovers, 60 frames-per-second graphics and customizeable rendering resolution (720p, 1080p, and more).

BONKERS

Are they just dense or what??

No performance improvements noted?

No option for 30/60 lock?

No choice to only download a version of the game with English or Japanese?

No higher quality FMVs? (I mean FFS the download was 60GB any the FMV quality was utter shit!)

No proper Xinput support or Playstation buttons?

At this rate, I don't think i'll be buying XIII-2 on steam. Even if they are only 720p, the FMVs on the PS3 are a monumentally huge increase in quality over a 60GB download for ridiculously bad quality FMVs

EVEN IF we get higher resolutions for gameplay and better AA with shitty peformance.

BONKERS

Even more reason they should take the time and effort to fix and improve XIII-1 on PC.

It's laughable at best in it's current state and their update statements are so vague it's irritating

The game uses custom Squeenix library for XInput, instead of more widely used xinput1_3.dll - meaning people not using X360 or Logitech pads are out of luck.

Not having issues with my DS3 either... I hadn't even heard issues with xinput compatible controllers.

Top Bottom