• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DX12 update for Tomb Raider out now

Kezen

Banned
Reposting this here :
vxaodvoj4.gif

All hail VXAO, our new overlord.

bwat47

Neo Member
DX12 mode not working well at all here (i5-2500, gtx 970). Far lower FPS all around (including min fps) in dx12 mode.

In dx12 mode in geothermal valley on high settings I'm frequently dropping down into the 40's, in dx11 mode usually stays around 60 and rarely drops below the 60's.

Maxey

Gemüsepizza;198223528 said:
Maybe the dev team is moving on, that's why they called it a day and just released the DX12 patch.

Nixxes doesn't do things half-assed. I'm sure we will see more patches in the coming weeks.

Locuza

Nixxes doesn't do things half-assed. I'm sure we will see more patches in the coming weeks.
Define half-assed, but launching DX12 in such a state was pretty half-assed I would say.
Pointing at future patches doesn't mean something for right now.

Maxey

Define half-assed, but launching DX12 in such a state was pretty half-assed I would say.
Pointing at future patches doesn't mean something for right now.

They'll fix it. That's what I mean.

Believe me, my uncle works for Nint-- Square-Enix.

NeoRaider

Imo. it's not even worth losing all these fps for VXAO.. It looks almost identical to HBAO+. It makes textures little darker.

Durante

Imo. it's not even worth losing all these fps for VXAO.. It looks almost identical to HBAO+. It makes textures little darker.
That's completely wrong.

If you look at this comparison, it's obvious that VXAO does a much better job at taking the complete scene structure into account when calculating the occlusion than any screen-space technique.

You might not consider the (significant) performance cost to be worth the improved effect, but that's no reason to claim that it isn't improved. Especially when it's this obvious.

As expected high-end tech is not free :
7EC2m7a.png

Is this with an OC'd 980Ti or with Vanilla? The article sadly does not make mention on that page!
It only recommends an OC'd 980Ti for 1440p with VXAO.

Given the post-game support for this and the scaling above the xb1 version they have demonstrated in the options... I can only agree at this point. The Steam version goes above and beyond the call of duty at the moment.

roytheone

It's not like there's any advantage to DX12 so far, at least for Nvidia users.

Honestly, I see a pretty big improvement on my rig. Cross post from performance thread :

Did some tests, running around in the thermal valley.

GTX 970
i7 870
8 gig RAM

Lowest my fps got on directx 11 was 42 fps. Lowest it went on directx 12 was 53 fps. Definitely a good improvement on my end! As an added bonus, the patch actually fixed a quest giver not showing up for me!

Edit: did some more running around in the soviet installation, and for me the game is A LOT more smooth. It's not that my average fps is a lot higher, but the fps drops I would get when spinning the camera and pointing it to specific spots are a lot less prevalent. I am kinda sad I didn't wait for this patch before playing the game, because the frame rate feels so much better. Really impressed with the results.

dr_rus

Well, DX12 is basically pointless for me judging from the built-in benchmark (all max, no AA, no motion and vignette blur):

r1Kb.png

It's not like there's any advantage to DX12 so far, at least for Nvidia users.

There are clear benefits when the game is CPU limited:

v1Kb.png

beeswax

That's completely wrong.

If you look at this comparison, it's obvious that VXAO does a much better job at taking the complete scene structure into account when calculating the occlusion than any screen-space technique.

You might not consider the (significant) performance cost to be worth the improved effect, but that's no reason to claim that it isn't improved. Especially when it's this obvious.

I'm not agreeing with him but I think that comparison is comparing the Ambient Occlusion at the 'On' setting to 'VXAO'. Rather than HBAO+ compared to VXAO. The difference is still going to be there of course but that particular example doesn't address his point.

NeoRaider

That's completely wrong.

I don't think that one is much better looking than the other in this comparison. But maybe it's just me.
I don't really care about AO that much, i was happy with how ON looked too.

Edit: But wait, this is ON vs. VXAO? I was talking about HBAO+ vs. VXAO so this comparison is pointless.

Joey Ravn

Banned
I'll have to wait until the update hits the Windows 10 Store. It's a sacrifice I have to make. You know, supporting new and forward-thinking technologies is never easy at the start.

Who am I kidding. I got the game dirt cheap a few weeks ago.

Reposting this here :
vxaodvoj4.gif

All hail VXAO, our new overlord.

Why is lighting affected? It looks like the bloom's intensity increases with VXAO (it reminds me of Reshade presets).

On a side note, I wonder how VXAO stacks up with HBAO+ ultra from AC:Syndicate; are both AO methods worth the fps hit?

VXAO looks bloody fantastic.... but there's just no way I'd use that and take the FPS loss. I'd definitely turn it on for pretty screenshots though.

Frozone

The lighting is affected because AO is a global lighting approximation. The HBAO+ obviously is wrong when you look at the bricks on the ground to the far right of the image. They should all be shadowed from the outside light (not lit by the sky). With VXAO, you can see that they are. This "miss" of shadowing is apparent in just about every game that has come out so far. It destroys realism IMO. I'm glad to see something that is at least consistent with the real world.

KennyL

That's completely wrong.

Something like this is only really noticeable in comparison shot. Little darker patches under rocks matters nothing while playing. Better off just prebake that for better performance.

Banned
Hopefully this thing comes to dx12 and devs support it in all their games. I was a huge fan of TXAA but almost never see it in the games I play. Mind you, I haven't been playing AAA PC games recently.

charsace

VXAO is far more accurate than the others because it is an actual 3d world space effect and not a 2d screen space effect. There is a big difference that is easy to see.

iavi

That's completely wrong.

I agree that the gif wasn't the best example--I wasn't really seeing any great difference myself. I saw one, but different, not better--but this comparison you posted is actually leagues better. You can make out the individual slats on the cabin closer to the right on the screen and there's actual shadows under the cabin closer to the center.

Not something worth the performance hit, and there's something about it only being available on Maxwell--forward--let alone Nvidia that really bugs me, but that's a real tangible diff.

NeoRaider

VXAO is far more accurate than the others because it is an actual 3d world space effect and not a 2d screen space effect. There is a big difference that is easy to see.

I still think that it's not worth losing 15 or more fps compared to HBAO+, sorry.

I still think that it's not worth losing 15 or more fps compared to HBAO+, sorry.

Three GPUs here. I've got the frames to spare. VXAO for me. I was really amazed with it testing it out the other day.

I'd still like to see them getting mGPU and VXAO up and working in DX12 though. The steam version I'm using is on a shared steam library. I own the windows store version and I'm way further through it.

dr_rus

VXAO impact compared to HBAO+ changes depending on the resolution you're using.

Yeah it's a great technology, but the hardware to support it it's not here yet :)

VXAO is perfectly usable on 980Ti cards. If you're willing to lower some other settings then you should be able to hit 60 fps in 1080p on 970/980 with VXAO as well. So I don't see how "the h/w is not here yet".

Top Bottom