• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DX12 update for Tomb Raider out now

jediyoshi

Ytcoeup.png

new drivers

QnE4UFE.png

neat

b0uncyfr0

How is this running on AMD cards now?

I want to pick this up for my 290x but need to know if performance will be worth it. I'm generally happy with a constant 50-60 fps experience.

jediyoshi

That looks good but the minimums are worse.

I'll try it later on with my 980 Ti

The minimums are pretty irrelevant, it's more tied to outliers in hitching from initial than normal gameplay. Also, the first shot was on an SSD, second on an HDD after I moved it over.

Arkanius

The minimums are pretty irrelevant, it's more tied to outliers in hitching from initial than normal gameplay. Also, the first shot was on an SSD, second on an HDD after I moved it over.

Makes sense with all the loading stuttering.
Nice improvement then. It's finally above DX11 right?

Vash63

Makes sense with all the loading stuttering.
Nice improvement then. It's finally above DX11 right?

Mine was very, very slightly above DX11 (1.5FPS) but the minimum was higher which is usually more important. Unfortunately no VXAO though which might make me choose DX11 when I finally play the game.

valouris

DX12 improves my performance quite a bit, probably because I have a GPU bottleneck? Installing .72 NVidia drivers now to see if they are better.

Laptop
i7 4710hq
Maxwell 860m 2gb
8gb RAM
1080p

Granted, laptop peasant that I am, I am not going for 60fps, but I am hovering around 30fps with settings between Medium and High, which is more than I had hoped for at 1080p.

Are AMD cards still under performing compared to NV cards? It seems at 1080p my 290x would still suffer.

not anymore. its pretty much equal across most perf tiers with the 980ti being a good bit faster than the furyx. in this title furyx doesnt scale beyond a 390x

edit - under dx11

tci

After the DX12 update, my game is now unplayable. Game seems to crawl at times, my the framerate still shows 30+ etc (Fraps). Everything just crawls randomly for no good reason. Happens both with and without dx12.

Will probably not complete the game now :(

b0uncyfr0

not anymore. its pretty much equal across most perf tiers with the 980ti being a good bit faster than the furyx. in this title furyx doesnt scale beyond a 390x

edit - under dx11

Excellent. What about under DX12? Id most likely run DX12 for the higher minimums.

I keep seeing people posting the fps, how are the frame times? Lower overall fps, but running smoother due to more uniform frame times would be better overall.

Basically, does DX12 run smoother but at a slightly lower overall frame rate?

Easy_D

never left the stone age
I keep seeing people posting the fps, how are the frame times? Lower overall fps, but running smoother due to more uniform frame times would be better overall.

Basically, does DX12 run smoother but at a slightly lower overall frame rate?

Yeah, DX12 smoothed my experience out a ton, benchmark says the max fps is a bit lower, but during gameplay I can tell it doesn't dip anywhere as close as 11 does. It also get rids of a the stuttering when the game loads in new areas or assets.

Keihart

I still can't understand why "ambient oclussion" is a thing, is so ungly and weird. The "penumbra" type shadows are a way better trick to simulate that kind of shadows.
Is this new "ambient oclussion" any better or just that fugly black halo arround things that most game use?

jediyoshi

I still can't understand why "ambient oclussion" is a thing, is so ungly and weird. The "penumbra" type shadows are a way better trick to simulate that kind of shadows.
Is this new "ambient oclussion" any better or just that fugly black halo arround things that most game use?

"Ambient" "occlusion" is a very "general term", "that's like just saying whether antialiasing is good or bad". In any case, you're actually saying this first image looks better than the second?

St42Zqj.gif

Keihart

"Ambient" "occlusion" is a very "general term", "that's like just saying whether antialiasing is good or bad". In any case, you're actually saying this first image looks better than the second?

St42Zqj.gif

When you put that example i can't disagree, but that is not the only way the effect is achieved and i think it looks pretty unnatural on most objects when exagerated. But if my only options were those i guess i would go with it.

I kinda get that ambient oclussion is the idea of blocking the light or ambient light, i don't understand why is almost always the same cheap effect or exagerated so much. Real objects don't cast anything close to those shadows.
How about implementng something like those soft shadows that run on PS3 in TLoU.

I just find it a weird effect that gets pushed more and more with no good reason, in my opinion ofcourse.

Mman235

I agree that AO used to look awful (Never forget), but most implementations in the last couple of years or so have been fine and a big leap from those early days.

Finaika

It also comes with a huge hit on performance.

Lose/lose situation?

dr_rus

That is EXACTLY what i imagine when i read "AO"

That's not AO though, it's a bug in the SSAO (HBAO to be precise) implementation in FC3 which makes the AO shader disregard the distance between the occluder and the surface behind it. This isn't really a widespread result even in the earlier implementations of SSAO technique and this is basically impossible in VXAO as it's not running in screen space.

Banned
Haven't checked in awhile. Is VXAO worth staying in DX11 or is DX12 with hbao+ the way to go?

I play at 1440p.

My PC specs are:

980Ti
I7-3770k 4.2Ghz
12GB DDR3 1333mhz

Yeah, DX12 smoothed my experience out a ton, benchmark says the max fps is a bit lower, but during gameplay I can tell it doesn't dip anywhere as close as 11 does. It also get rids of a the stuttering when the game loads in new areas or assets.
Awesome, thanks. I've been curious about this. FPS isn't the "be all" of performance. Slightly lower FPS and a better overall experience is well worth it as far as I'm concerned.

Top Bottom