• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dynamic Resolution for Halo 5?

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Halo SP should have stayed maximum visual fidelity at 30fps and the MP 60fps. Too bad MS got caught up in the 60fps marketing battle with Sony. Halo 4 at 30 was fine, no need to chase the PS4 with a "1080/60 or death" mentality. Hell I mean look at Uncharted, hyped up on the 1080/60 marketing but there is a limit to what these consoles do.

30 is fine.
The campaign video they had at MS conference was 30FPS (stream was 60). I think that much like UC4, they are going for 30FPS SP / 60FPS MP.

Tumeke NZ

Banned
I really do pity the people who seem to prefer to nitpick over things like res and/or fps rather than just discuss the actual games and the great experiences they bring.
I can understand multiplatform games to an extent but if the game looks and plays well regardless of those two things then who gives a flying F?

I really do pity the people who seem to prefer to nitpick over things like res and/or fps rather than just discuss the actual games and the great experiences they bring.
I can understand multiplatform games to an extent but if the game looks and plays well regardless of those two things then who gives a flying F?

Seems like you stumbled into the wrong thread, friend.

So what? Do you know for certain this will change?

Considering the game is not finished yet, I have a pretty good inkling that things are still subject to change, yeah. But I mean, what do I know, apparently the game runs at 832x810 and is an unplayable blur fest that looks like a 360 game based on this thread.

kyser73

I don't get what people want. Xbox One is weaker hardware than PS4. You're not going to ever see 1080p/60FPS. So the options are some kind of dynamic scaling/1080pr/900p/60FPS or 1080p/30fps.

343 has said they wanted 60FPS and that's what the game is built around. That's what the beta was and that's what they did for every game in MCC including H2A

So if you cannot achieve 1080p at 60FPS while still maintaining impressive visuals, you drop resolution to what works. Let's remember, the game is 3 months out from going gold, and the entire OP is based around some scans of a documentary that had numbers on a screen without us really knowing what they were or from what build or when. It's literally assumptions everywhere.

This isn't correct. Both the current gen consoles are capable of 1080/60, but to get to this on both you need to make concessions in other areas like AA, lighting, textures & particle effects.

Because its on a console it comes down to what the devs, and their publishers (with their focus grouping) say the audience will or won't accept.

Halo SP should have stayed maximum visual fidelity at 30fps and the MP 60fps. Too bad MS got caught up in the 60fps marketing battle with Sony. Halo 4 at 30 was fine, no need to chase the PS4 with a "1080/60 or death" mentality. Hell I mean look at Uncharted, hyped up on the 1080/60 marketing but there is a limit to what these consoles do.

30 is fine.

There isn't a "60fps marketing battle", in fact plenty of Sony's exclusives are 30fps. 60fps is massively beneficial to gameplay and 343 sticked to that, after MCC the player base won't want to gett back to 30fps Halo.

Tumeke NZ

Banned
Seems like you stumbled into the wrong thread, friend.

No, no this was the thread I was reading... friend.
I'm not the only one to make a similar comment and i'm just giving my opinion on the resolution.
These threads are always destined to end up as a beat up to make certain people feel better about themselves.

I'm not the only one to make a similar comment and i'm just giving my opinion on the resolution.
These threads are always destined to end up as a beat up to make certain people feel better about themselves.

All you've done is attempt to discredit everyone's opinions in this thread by claiming gaming discussion in a gaming forum is pointless.

I would agree with you if we were in one of the main Halo threads, but you are in a thread made specifically so that people can act the way that you are accusing them of acting.

Weather or not this is productive/right or wrong is irrelevant.
I personally think it's unwise since the game isn't even out yet and that is why you don't see me participating or even complaining...

Let me try to explain it in a way that you may understand, friend. This thread is like a diaper for all of the people whom you think are whiny babies. It contains all of the things that you think are crap so that it doesn't stink up the other Halo threads as much. If you don't like it then don't wear it.

The campaign video they had at MS conference was 30FPS (stream was 60). I think that much like UC4, they are going for 30FPS SP / 60FPS MP.

I doubt it, their excuse for killing local campaign Co-Op was that they could not render the same image twice at 60fps on one screen.

It's just... The IQ is so bad and a lot of the metallic textures/structures look incredibly out of place. 60FPS is wonderful and I don't mind dynamic resolution as long as they work on the aliasing, textures and IQ.

Warzone has a lot of Texture issues IMO:

TATs7QP.png

cC8qsqo.png

Z91n1Sx.png

Maybe lets call it not "issues" but the texture work in Warzone is really unimpressive and for the most parts lowres.

W.S.

Which PS4 game have you played where DR was so noticeable that you would notice it anyway? The only Dynamic Resolution game (Wolfenstein) on the PS4 is 1080p 60fps 99% percent of the time, so why would you notice a disparity in IQ? On the flipside, it was much easier to notice the lower resolution on the XBONE because it varied in resolution much much more. Pretending that it was about the same and that you could not notice either at the lower rez is being totally disingenuous about it. They do not compare.
I haven't played the PS4 version so I don't have any frame of reference to compare to but playing the Old Blood on XBO I didn't find the resolution switching to be all that distracting. I'll probably notice some occasional jaggies but on the whole the game looked pretty good so if 343i can deliver something similar that's perfectly fine with me.

To be honest I don't think Halo 5 needs to be 60fps since the ones before it weren't but after playing MCC it's certainly makes a good case for why they would want to go that route and having dynamic resolution is a pretty good solution to try to maintain both.

If a Dynamic Resolution is indeed implemented in Multiplayer, you do bring up good points. Based on what DF pointed in out Wolfenstein when the resolution drops, you do get more jaggies and less sharpness. So you could see how that could impact players who notice such things (when they are aiming at someone far away, for example).
We don't really know if multiplayer will actually use dynamic resolution but it shouldn't be a big issue either way. Halo players have played the games in various other resolutions and have coped so unless this was a crossplay PC vs console thing console players are going to be on an even level.

832X1080?
That'd be my bet, but I'm often wrong so I guess we'll see.

Still, if they're aiming to keep a stable 60 I'll take the game not looking face meltingly amazing.
Still looks good though.

Considering the game is not finished yet, I have a pretty good inkling that things are still subject to change, yeah. But I mean, what do I know, apparently the game runs at 832x810 and is an unplayable blur fest that looks like a 360 game based on this thread.
No one hates Halo more than HaloGAF.

Top Bottom