• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

E3 2014: $399 Xbox Ones "Flying Off The Shelves" at GameStop

Status
Not open for further replies.

Curufinwe

Playstation stuff has always weirdly sold extremely good on Amazon. Even last gen on multiplats that favored 360, the PS3 version more often than not would be selling more on Amazon.

Amazon charts are fun to look at but they really don't tell anything.

They have been consistent with the PS4 handily outselling the Xbone in the US in 2014.

RoKKeR

I have all three systems, and I mainly use my Xbox One because most of my friends play and/or planning to get an Xbox One as they transition from 360. The online ecosystem matters far more to me than any technical specifications.

I'll go ahead and second this as it perfectly reflects my current set up.
Sans WiiU

RPGamer92

Banned
At any given moment from one online retailer. It isn't exactly a great barometer for overall sales in a given period of time.

Give me a break, best sellers lists are not statistics, or any form of hard data.

Yeah, NPD's.
NPD has listed PS4 outselling XB1 except for 1 month since they launched.

Skeff

Love the trend in here of using online retailer best selling lists to forecast overall sales for a console. Great stuff.

Amazon monthly listing are correct for every month so far this generation including when xb1 outsold ps4 in dec. and by correct I mean the same as npd.

Good news its a great offer.
I am so curious to see how Wii U compares this month.

Imagine if they made a new Jet Set Radio and it was an Xbox One exclusive.... LORD!!!

5 people would buy it. Me, you, Miles, DC Rider, and maybe Statham cause he buys everything.
it would be awesome

On Demand

Banned
They have been consistent with the PS4 handily outselling the Xbone in the US in 2014.

Not only that. If you look at Amazon, Gamestop, and Bestbuy, they all show the PS4 ahead in sales. Those are very big retailers. It's not hard to guess who's selling more from that.

Haven't even seen the X1 break the top 40 on amazon since the price drop.

Amazon is the largest online retailer, online sales are massive these days ... thus you can get a good sense of how wanted an object is by checking out the amazon best sellers list. It has been pretty good so far. For example Watch Dogs for PS4 was in the top 40 for a long ass time, while the X1 version wasn't even in the Top 100 for the longest time. Gauging that you could tell the PS4 version would sell more, and that was correct with what was it, 47% of overall sales being for the PS4? So 1.8m or so.

Destiny skyrocketed to #4 on the list, think it was 14. The destiny bundle ( may of sold out, yeah it is sold out ) was at #3-4 for a long time. The PS4 remains in the top 10 and has been there for a long time now.

June NPD is going to be very interesting I think. I'm not seeing the surge I thought I might when the price drop occured. It is reminding me of the Titanfall situation. Most thought a massive increase in sales would happen over a long stretch of time but it was like a week long bump and that was it.

Finally I don't think strong exclusives are going to win the game (for either company). Just look at Sony's success in the U.S. Microsoft pummeled them in this market last gen and now will come in third place next month in monthly sales behind two Japanese companies.
What does this have to do with the point of your argument? Everything else makes sense, but the only people who honestly think MS came out on top in the NA last gen b/c it was an "American" (lol) company are the same sorts stupid enough to put a "Buy American" bumper sticker on their.....Honda.

Haven't even seen the X1 break the top 40 on amazon since the price drop.

Amazon is the largest online retailer, online sales are massive these days ... thus you can get a good sense of how wanted an object is by checking out the amazon best sellers list. It has been pretty good so far. For example Watch Dogs for PS4 was in the top 40 for a long ass time, while the X1 version wasn't even in the Top 100 for the longest time. Gauging that you could tell the PS4 version would sell more, and that was correct with what was it, 47% of overall sales being for the PS4? So 1.8m or so.

Destiny skyrocketed to #4 on the list, think it was 14. The destiny bundle ( may of sold out ) was at #3-4 for a long time. The PS4 remains in the top 10 and has been there for a long time now.

June NPD is going to be very interesting I think. I'm not seeing the surge I thought I might when the price drop occured. It is reminding me of the Titanfall situation. Most thought a massive increase in sales would happen over a long stretch of time but it was like a week long bump and that was it.
Yep Amazon lists (and Gamestop, Best Buy lists etc.) are pretty good indicators of actual sales. I think a lot of people downplaying them are doing so in light of....the February NPDs I think? Where despite the lists saying otherwise XBO was within earshot of PS4 #s that month.

Although that's the only time it's happened. Once is proof enough for some folk :S.

CoG

Amazon charts are not always indicative of sales trends but when something is that low on the charts it's not a good sign. The $399 Xbox One is about to fall below the top 50.

Xbox One + Titanfall + Kinect was $449 at some point in April, right? If the signs are right June NPD may be another April for Microsoft -- high expectations, low sales.

I had a strong feeling Destiny, due to this alpha, was going to get more popularity and more pre-orders and voila. I look this morning on amazon and it jumped from 14 to 4 for the PS4 version ( showing 75% increase in sales ). So yeah ... it is a good gauge of how popular something is.

It is 100% the only thing to look at? Of course not. But can give you a small glimpse.

Kusagari

And that was obvious just by the fact that most stores have had piles of Xbones sitting there for months.

Amazon can be another way to reinforce a trend, but I'm not ready to use them as a way to judge the effects of the price drop yet.

Still, I doubt the bone beats PS4 in June.

TheCloser

Banned
And that was obvious just by the fact that most stores have had piles of Xbones sitting there for months.

Amazon can be another way to reinforce a trend, but I'm not ready to use them as a way to judge the effects of the price drop yet.

Still, I doubt the bone beats PS4 in June.
Lol, this is the same posts people where posting when Titanfall released. Honestly, this is some very absurd logic. The xb1 is dropping to price parity, how would it automatically become the preferred console? It's not cheaper and its certainly not offering a better deal. I wonder if some of you guys even think before you post. Like use some logic, there are no metrics to support this train of thought. The xb1 will lose in June again and I will not be surprised.

Boke1879

I had a strong feeling Destiny, due to this alpha, was going to get more popularity and more pre-orders and voila. I look this morning on amazon and it jumped from 14 to 4 for the PS4 version ( showing 75% increase in sales ). So yeah ... it is a good gauge of how popular something is.

It is 100% the only thing to look at? Of course not. But can give you a small glimpse.

Destiny is going to be HUGE for the PS4. The Alpha only reinforces that fact now. I fount it amazing how after the Destiny white PS4 bundle was announced it immediately jumped into the top 5 on amazon.I'm very curious to see how many PS4's this game will move in September. Also wondering if anyone will buy a PS4 early so to speak just to get into the beta?

OT. It's amazing how the Alpha has sold a lot of people on Destiny. When Activision starts their marketing campaign for it I expect HUGE sales for Destiny in the month of September.

Destiny is going to be HUGE for the PS4. The Alpha only reinforces that fact now. I fount it amazing how after the Destiny white PS4 bundle was announced it immediately jumped into the top 5 on amazon.I'm very curious to see how many PS4's this game will move in September. Also wondering if anyone will buy a PS4 early so to speak just to get into the beta?

OT. It's amazing how the Alpha has sold a lot of people on Destiny. When Activision starts their marketing campaign for it I expect HUGE sales for Destiny in the month of September.

Outside of possibly Peter Dinklage's worst performance in anything, Destiny shaping up to be a quality title and huge for PS4 if they keep pushing 'exclusive' access to alphas & betas.

Utopia fantasy would be for Destiny to skirt around platform BS and have PS4/XB1 & PS3/360 versions play with each other.

That's an interesting point. MS is supposed to launch in 26 "new" markets in September. But PS4 will get an avalanche of Destiny bundle sales that same month.

I have all three systems, and I mainly use my Xbox One because most of my friends play and/or planning to get an Xbox One as they transition from 360. The online ecosystem matters far more to me than any technical specifications.

I also prefer navigating the Xbox One UI over the other two systems, too.

All my friends were on 360, but after the awful XB1 reveal last year and then seeing the PS4 is more powerful AND was $100 cheaper, we all got PS4's.

None of us were achievement whores, so that didn't factor into anything either.

Personally I got sick of all the ads on the dashboards of Msoft's ecosystem too.

Boke1879

Outside of possibly Peter Dinklage's worst performance in anything, Destiny shaping up to be a quality title and huge for PS4 if they keep pushing 'exclusive' access to alphas & betas.

Utopia fantasy would be for Destiny to skirt around platform BS and have PS4/XB1 & PS3/360 versions play with each other.

Yea Peter is definitely phoning it in. Bungie need to add some sort of effect to the voice or something.

Blueblur1

I keep thinking I should buy one soon, but for what? There are games I would play on it, but sunset overdrive, forza and Halo MC aren't out until fall, this thing can only get cheaper until then and they could even do a bundle. I need to wait for that sweet, sweet bomba.

Same here, man. I want one but I'll wait. There's gotta be a sweet bundle this fall.

There's a tidal wave of Xbox One negativity for no good reason. We shouldn't really be taking this much stock of Amazon.com placements just because they've aligned with the extremely predictable placements in NPD, minus a few months.

Calling the Xbox One a failure at this point is laughable, especially since the PS3 launched a a much, much, much worse spot and had absolutely terrible word of mouth around these forums and others.

The difference between the two systems is going to be about the same. You can't go wrong with either choice this early in the cycle. No need to defend your choice or attack the other.

CoG

There's a tidal wave of Xbox One negativity for no good reason. We shouldn't really be taking this much stock of Amazon.com placements just because they've aligned with the extremely predictable placements in NPD, minus a few months.

Calling the Xbox One a failure at this point is laughable, especially since the PS3 launched a a much, much, much worse spot and had absolutely terrible word of mouth around these forums and others.

The difference between the two systems is going to be about the same. You can't go wrong with either choice this early in the cycle. No need to defend your choice or attack the other.

The PS3 had a bad start but ultimately succeeded because of 1) Sony turning their policies/voice around and 2) Areas outside of the US/UK.

Microsoft really only has the US/UK at this point, and even that is up in the air right now. The Xbox One will never reach parity with the PS4 worldwide. Myopia caused by NPDs may make the Xbox One seem a success if it does catch up in the US but worldwide it's another story.

The PS3 had a bad start but ultimately succeeded because of 1) Sony turning their policies/voice around and 2) Areas outside of the US/UK.

Microsoft really only has the US/UK at this point, and even that is up in the air right now. The Xbox One will never reach parity with the PS4 worldwide. Myopia caused by NPDs may make the Xbox One seem a success if it does catch up in the US but worldwide it's another story.

Xbox doesn't need parity to be a success.

kodecraft

I also prefer navigating the Xbox One UI over the other two systems, too.

I can agree with this.

Amazon monthly listing are correct for every month so far this generation including when xb1 outsold ps4 in dec. and by correct I mean the same as npd.

Im pretty sure there was no complaining then, now when bold sales statements get made this gen, its not accurate coming from the side needing to play catchup. Resolution doesnt matter anymore along with framerate, this is gonna be a never ending story.

Lets just face the music and get to gaming instead of worrying bout numbers, not like we getting paid from it. It all works out for all of us in the end. Due to this we will end up with better systems as they're both playing off eachothers success right now.

Yay!!! Gamers win

It won't reach parity, which is fine, but some of the call-outs designing the death of the system are just facepalm worthy. It's just far too early to make a call (Maybe not for the placements). I was thinking the slow start of last gen (For both systems outside the Wii) would've proven that by now

Anecdotal - asked at my local Game how the XBone was doing since the pricecut. The sales girl suggested they'd be no real increase in sales. However, she also said they'd sold more XBone that PS4 consoles in total (ie since launch), so.....

She also said that the XBones original DRM plans were only added to the console because MS done a survey and they're what the US gamer asked for. So make of this all what you will.

Anecdotal - asked at my local Game how the XBone was doing since the pricecut. The sales girl suggested they'd be no real increase in sales. However, she also said they'd sold more XBone that PS4 consoles in total (ie since launch), so.....

She also said that the XBones original DRM plans were only added to the console because MS done a survey and they're what the US gamer asked for. So make of this all what you will.

Seems legit

AmFreak

Yeah im pretty sure everyone marked the "I want to have to go online every 24 hrs to be able to play" checkbox.

ypo

Some of you people better get more friends so *all of them* buying Xbone will actually be reflected in sales. Imagine each of you had 1 millions friendz? WOW.

Seems legit

Yeah im pretty sure everyone marked the "I want to have to go online every 24 hrs to be able to play" checkbox.

I wasn't going to argue with her. I said, "Are you sure?" and was told she'd read an article online about it. I didn't want to delve any further at that stage, but in hindsight I should have asked if it was MisterXmedia's site.

Edit - forgot to add, she has her hair dyed green.....

rokkerkory

If X1 fails it will hurt industry more than help. We need all 3 consoles to be healthy for publishers to keep making AAA games. They can't afford to sell to only 2 systems the way those games costs.

Bundy

Banned

lmao
Thanks for the laugh ;D

N.Domixis

Banned

The xbox one IS a failure, its a failure outside of the NA and UK and now its losing it its once dominant regions. So it is a failure. Just imagine if the consoles switched places. Xbox one around 8 million and ps4 at 4.5 million with the ps4 being irrelevant in Jp, getting slaughtered in EU and still losing to xbox brand in NA. Or imagine if the ps4 is being outsold in Europe by xbox and being slaughtered in NA and still dead in Jp. People all around the media would be calling it the end of play station and would be considered a failure.

So its ridiculous to say that the xbox is not a failure.

Chobel

I wasn't going to argue with her. I said, "Are you sure?" and was told she'd read an article online about it. I didn't want to delve any further at that stage, but in hindsight I should have asked if it was MisterXmedia's site.

Edit - forgot to add, she has her hair dyed green.....

Why do you wanna add that?
The xbox one IS a failure, its a failure outside of the NA and UK and now its losing it its once dominant regions. So it is a failure. Just imagine if the consoles switched places. Xbox one around 8 million and ps4 at 4.5 million with the ps4 being irrelevant in Jp, getting slaughtered in EU and still losing to xbox brand in NA. Or imagine if the ps4 is being outsold in Europe by xbox and being slaughtered in NA and still dead in Jp. People all around the media would be calling it the end of play station and would be considered a failure.

WOW!

stevil

If X1 fails it will hurt industry more than help. We need all 3 consoles to be healthy for publishers to keep making AAA games. They can't afford to sell to only 2 systems the way those games costs.

Suppose x1 fails miserably (or the ps4) doesn't mean that all current x1 owners give up gaming, most if not all will move to ps4 or to a new contender (steambox?).

Although competition is generally better I'm not sure if this works for consoles as a consumer I have to deal with exclusives and thus end up buying three consoles. If there would be only one console prices wise they still would be in competition with pc games and what people are willing to pay for games. Also third patties have two platforms less to support so this will save money end makes it easier to optimize.

Best would be for Sony en Microsoft to make one console, the power of the cloud and ps4 would be perfect ☺

No they don't , all that matter to pubs is the total over all sales .
10 million sales is 10 million no matter the split unless it turns crazy bad for X1.

sprinkles

Small anecdote: yesterday was the first day I ever saw a PS4 "in the wild" here in Germany at my local Saturn. Xbox Ones have been in stock for months, but never a PS4.

Bgamer90

Banned

There was a switch last gen. The Wii during the beginning of the gen did much better than the 360 and PS3 and this was after the GameCube (the system's predecessor) was the worst selling of its gen. Since the system was "last gen" in tech and crushed the "actual next gen systems" in sales during the first half of the gen, were the PS3/360 "failures"? No. While the consoles had lower userbases, the sales of games were good and the systems continued on getting support due to that.

The system is still getting support due to solid game sales. The userbase of the system actually buys games so no, it's not a complete failure.

psn

What?

It would be cheaper to develop a game for only one platform that has a userbase of lets say 14 million than for 2 platforms with 8 & 6 million users...

Since when is developing for two or 3 platforms cheaper?

Blue Ranger

Neo Member

Looks like a yt comment lol

Ok, I agree with that, its too early to say it will end as a failure but currently it is a failure.

I don't think this is fair. It's a relative failure compared to the PS4, but the PS4 is setting records. I think the XBone is doing OK at the moment, but if May and June are as low as some people speculate, then we can say it's in trouble. It that carries for the rest of the year and the PS4 is thumping it both domestically and internationally, then it's definitely in trouble.

Even then, MS can turn things around, it depends if they want to spend the money required to do so - maybe buy RockStar and Activision, something crazy like that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom