• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

E3 2014: $399 Xbox Ones "Flying Off The Shelves" at GameStop

Status
Not open for further replies.

BeforeU

Oft hope is born when all is forlorn.
No they don't , all that matter to pubs is the total over all sales .
10 million sales is 10 million no matter the split unless it turns crazy bad for X1.

What?

It would be cheaper to develop a game for only one platform that has a userbase of lets say 14 million than for 2 platforms with 8 & 6 million users...

Since when is developing for two or 3 platforms cheaper?

Not only its extremely ridicules to say Xbox is a failure but some of the people are here justifying it would be good for the industry if there was no more Xbox.

its-time-to-stop-posting-cat-cats-kitten-kitty-pic-picture-funny-lolcat-cute-fun-lovely-photo-images.jpg

whateverblah

Neo Member
If X1 fails it will hurt industry more than help. We need all 3 consoles to be healthy for publishers to keep making AAA games. They can't afford to sell to only 2 systems the way those games costs.

Honestly I'd rather just have 1 console that would play every game. I hate the 3 consoles to play every game I want.

Console warzz bro. We're all justifying our purchases and pumping our chests out.

Join the fight or get out!

;P

What makes me laugh is I never experienced this as a kid , even with the media pushing the Mario v Sonic thing, it was only when the internet went mainstream did I start to take notice of it.

Tmac

What the fuck is going on in here lol, Xbox is far from a failure.

Considering the HUGE advantage the 360 had over PS3 in North America, you can say thats a failure in many ways.

Thats still too early to point out fingers thou... but if history tells us something the xbox one is doomed.

Chobel

Not only its extremely ridicules to say Xbox is a failure but some of the people are here justifying it would be good for the industry if there was no more Xbox.

its-time-to-stop-posting-cat-cats-kitten-kitty-pic-picture-funny-lolcat-cute-fun-lovely-photo-images.jpg

Nice strawman there.

They didn't say it would be good for the industry if there was no more Xbox, they only said even if Xbox is gone, the industry will be OK.

Please show me where i said that i want the X1 gone ?
For pubs the systems don't have to sell close once they get the sales they want , it would cheaper for them to support less system .
Having competition is good but they don't have to sell any where near each other for it to happen .
I go as far to say having one get beat bad is better for the consumer at least early on .

Raxus

Considering the HUGE advantage the 360 had over PS3 in North America, you can say thats a failure in many ways.

Thats still too early to point out fingers thou... but if history tells us something the xbox one is doomed.
DS was thought to have been a dead console at one point and look where it is now.

Please show me where i said that ?
For pubs the systems don't have to sell close once they get the sales they want , it would cheaper for them to support less system .
Having competition is good but they don't have to sell any where near each other .

Game budgets go down if developers support only one platform?

So how much cheaper would GTA5 have been if it only supported the PS3? Budget was $265m if I'm not mistaken.

Klocker

There's a tidal wave of Xbox One negativity for no good reason. We shouldn't really be taking this much stock of Amazon.com placements just because they've aligned with the extremely predictable placements in NPD, minus a few months.

Calling the Xbox One a failure at this point is laughable, especially since the PS3 launched a a much, much, much worse spot and had absolutely terrible word of mouth around these forums and others.

The difference between the two systems is going to be about the same. You can't go wrong with either choice this early in the cycle. No need to defend your choice or attack the other.

Exactly. People trying to write their own story of "xbox failure" are missing the mark or pissing into the wind trying to convince someone of something.

Xbox has a great possibility of turning NA sales in their favor a year from now and with more markets, world wide sales will improve.

Being second is not the same as failure.

Game budgets go down if developers support only one platform?

So how much cheaper would GTA5 have been if it only supported the PS3? Budget was $265m if I'm not mistaken.

Yes don't how much cheaper it would be but it would cost less plus that GTA budget also includes marketing .
Either way porting cost should be down this gen compare to last gen but it still going to cost money and time to port stuff .
A user base of a 160 million on one console is going to cheaper \ faster to develop for that a user base split between 2 .
Don't matter if Sony dies and MS stay or is MS dies and Sony stay it would be cheaper \ faster for pubs \ devs.

stevil

Always see this being mentioned, what other players have enough money to enter this market and produce exclusive first party games?

Steambox (Windows or Linux based) could work, it has pc exclusives. Personally I would like to see exclusives gone but that's probably because I'm not emotionally invested with one company

shanew21

Yep, doomed. Pack it up everybody. It's all over.

Seriously?

To be honest, gaming was at it's best when Sony was seemingly dominating. PS1 era, and PS2 era, good times.

I'd imagine it certainly makes things easier for developers to pool all resources into one console version. Naturally, this is mostly due to the software being designed moreso than the ps1 and ps2 themselves.

bedlamite

Nintendo, PC, mobile, heck maybe another player will enter the market.

jay23 said:
Always see this being mentioned, what other players have enough money to enter this market and produce exclusive first party games?
There really isn't anybody else. If you look at the market, neither Nintendo nor the PC platform are a match for Sony and MS. Mobile is huge but it caters to a whole other demographic and I'm quite sure none of us here want mobile taking over anyway. Sony really has no other competition. For all I know some upstart company could just launch their videogame console tomorrow with all the requisite tech bits, plus the backing of the 3rd-party gamemakers AND have a solid first-party lineup thus rendering my post utterly moot but as of right now, if MS were to just leave the console scene? Sony would stand alone.

To be honest, gaming was at it's best when Sony was seemingly dominating. PS1 era, and PS2 era, good times.

I'd imagine it certainly makes things easier for developers to pool all resources into one console version. Naturally, this is mostly due to the software being designed moreso than the ps1 and ps2 themselves.
I believe that's just nostalgia speaking, heh. Competition is ALWAYS good, no matter what the fanboys say.

Some of the statements made about the Xbox One's demise being good for the industry and even the Xbox brand itself is just plain stupid. There have already been a number of devs who have said their games couldn't have been made at all, or in the way they would've prefered, without MS' involvement.

The X1 will never match Sony's sales this Gen but it will still do very well and with a shorter console cycle it won't pay for it's mistakes as much as it might have. The brand has indeed been weakened but it's still strong and bound to get stronger.

Kusagari

Lol, this is the same posts people where posting when Titanfall released. Honestly, this is some very absurd logic. The xb1 is dropping to price parity, how would it automatically become the preferred console? It's not cheaper and its certainly not offering a better deal. I wonder if some of you guys even think before you post. Like use some logic, there are no metrics to support this train of thought. The xb1 will lose in June again and I will not be surprised.

What the hell are you even talking about? Did you even read my post? Ironic since I'm apparently the one that doesn't think before I post.

All I said is that I'm not ready to judge how much a price drop boosts the bone based off Amazon placements.

I said I doubt it beats PS4 in June and I'm 99% sure it will never pass the PS4 in America.

Jesus, some of you are so enthusiastic about claiming doom for the Xbox One that you don't even bother to read.

Cosmozone

Amazon, Apple, Samsung, Facebook, Google are the most likely candidates. With even more possibilities out of left field. All in all I just hope it's not gonna be Facebook, heh, that means if Microsoft should go away.

Tigress

There really isn't anybody else. If you look at the market, neither Nintendo nor the PC platform are a match for Sony and MS. Mobile is huge but it caters to a whole other demographic and I'm quite sure none of us here want mobile taking over anyway. Sony really has no other competition. For all I know some upstart company could just launch their videogame console tomorrow with all the requisite tech bits, plus the backing of the 3rd-party gamemakers AND have a solid first-party lineup thus rendering my post utterly moot but as of right now, if MS were to just leave the console scene? Sony would stand alone.

I believe that's just nostalgia speaking, heh. Competition is ALWAYS good, no matter what the fanboys say.

Realistically, yeah. I mean I think Amazon would do better or maybe even Samsung, but realistically I don't think either really is interested in investing that much money in a market that is pretty risk so you just aren't going to see it. (Amazon is happy more competing with Ouya, Vita, Google TV, apple TV).

If MS goes away, looking at real life situation, it probably does mean Sony stands alone unless Nintendo manages to step up (I see that happening more than some newcomer comes in the field). Though honestly I would prefer a Sony vs. Nintendo market than the Sony vs. MS. But, I've softened a bit cause MS has shown they're not quite as stubbern as I percieve them, they will eventually cave to consumers if they really are hurting enough (I tend to perceive MS as doing the, "We will push what we want and people will follow and if not, we got money to market it up to make up for it not working." Which they've kind of done but admittedly they caved sooner and did more caving than I expected <- I didn't expect them to actually get rid of the Live Gold paywall and I didn't expect them to 180 on the original policies until after the xbox one was on sale and sales, not just pre orders, were proving to be absymal. Though part of me feels it's just proof of how bad xbox one is doing compared to what they want it to be doing.).

So, I think as long as people are willing to keep MS in check, MS isn't bad for gaming. Problem is people have to be willing to keep MS in check and not just go, "it sux but I want to play the games so I'll just deal with it".

And yes, I realize they are all out to make money. But some companies tend to do it in a more consumer friendly fashion by building loyalty and trying to look to be for the consumers (Amazon is a great example of this) while others tend to feel they just need to manipulate the consumers or just tell them to deal with it (*cough* MS *Cough*).

BigDug13

But they had competition. They had competition from SEGA Saturn, N64, SEGA Dreamcast, GameCube, and OG Xbox. Sales parity is not the same thing as competition. Sony has never not had competition, even while dominating the industry.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom