• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

E3 2014: $399 Xbox Ones "Flying Off The Shelves" at GameStop

Status
Not open for further replies.

statham

no thread on this?
The $399 Xbox One went on sale yesterday at retailers worldwide, and GameStop is already seeing a boost in business as a result, according to senior vice president of merchandising Bob Puzon.

"They went on sale in GameStop yesterday; these things started to fly off the shelves," Puzon told GameSpot at E3 today in Los Angeles. "It's a huge win and a huge opportunity for us."

Though the $399 Xbox One may be the hot new item, Puzon pointed out that the $499 standard Xbox One is still "very vibrant" for GameStop.
http://www.gamespot.com/articles/e3...ing-off-the-shelves-at-gamestop/1100-6420336/

rokkerkory

Well they will need the help for June's NPD. May NPD prob was not good because many were waiting for $400 sku and E3.

modsbox

Retailer who would benefit massively from XB1 turning things around reports "we can't keep them in stock!! They're just flying off the shelves!!"

maneil99

Might be because everyone has been holding off for last 3 weeks. Its like making a dam, breaking it and saying wow so much water!

Doesn't seem to be making too much of a splash on US Amazon, so this report actually kind of surprises me. Then again, Gamespot always feels a little disingenuous in their excitement for video game things selling well.

Link Man

Banned
Retailer who would benefit massively from XB1 turning things around reports "we can't keep them in stock!! They're just flying off the shelves!!"

Yeah, when Gamestops dedicate half the store to Xbox, they're going to try to give it good PR.

Mindlog

Doesn't seem to be making too much of a splash on US Amazon, so this report actually kind of surprises me. Then again, Gamespot always feels a little disingenuous in their excitement for video game things selling well.
Using the Amazon list as an indicator of sales is an ancient 'Retail Musings' technique.

MilesTeg

Banned
Yeah right. Usually you can tell when there is real anticipation for a price drop/new SKU. This wasn't one of those times.

"Already seeing a boost" is such strange wording. The $399 SKU was known about for a month before it released. If there was going to be a boost, it'd be immediate [edit: upon release]. "Already" implies they were expecting any boost to be delayed to some degree.

"Puzon pointed out that the $499 standard Xbox One is still "very vibrant" for GameStop."

Yea, pretty clearly PR, but they of course wouldn't say otherwise. Amazon tells a very different tale and while that's certainly not a perfect gauge it has been rather accurate all year long (as in, every time the PS4 is on top on Amazon, it tops NPD as well).

I'm more surprised by the PS4 Destiny bundled jumping to #3 on the Amazon vs. the X1 Kinect less bundle still way, way below (I think it just barely cracked the top 50?). Heck, outside of the Halo collection, the next X1 game is Destiny, at #29. Seems Sony got most of the boost from E3.

"Already seeing a boost" is such strange wording. The $399 SKU was known about for a month before it released. If there was going to be a boost, it'd be immediate. "Already" implies they were expecting any boost to be delayed to some degree.

Why would there be a boost in sales before the price drop?

Maybe at Gamestop. I was in Best Buy earlier today and they still had stacks and stacks of them. And the PS4 is $50 more here now (Canada).

Xenoflare

This is rather a funny situation in Canada, since PS4 received a price bump to $450, this means XB1 is cheaper than PS4. Well, Kinect-less of course.

It's not clear if MS is going to bump up their price to follow suit, but games has already been moved to the $70 territory from $60.

HORRORSHØW

MS had a good E3 showing, and coupled with a cheaper SKU, it's only natural that they'd see increased sales. good for them.

Inb4 boost of 0% is 0%. lol

But general statements like that don't mean much except that it wasn't gangbusters to say "we sold a million on the first day" like PS4 or whatever.

We'll have to wait for NPD.

Toki767

If the $500 Xbox One is "very vibrant" selling under 100K in a month, the $400 Xbox One "flying off the shelves" must be over 100K right?

Why would there be a boost in sales before the price drop?

I meant there would be a boost in sales immediately upon release. "Already" implies that they expected a boost, but not one so soon. Which is just weird given the SKU's release date was known for a month and presumably advertised.

Xbox One is number 42 best selling on Amazon.
White PS4 is number 2 and regular PS4 is number 8.

If this is any indication of any general trend, then Sony is killing it.

Pain

Banned
"Puzon pointed out that the $499 standard Xbox One is still "very vibrant" for GameStop."

Yea, pretty clearly PR, but they of course wouldn't say otherwise. Amazon tells a very different tale and while that's certainly not a perfect gauge it has been rather accurate all year long (as in, every time the PS4 is on top on Amazon, it tops NPD as well).

I'm more surprised by the PS4 Destiny bundled jumping to #3 on the Amazon vs. the X1 Kinect less bundle still way, way below (I think it just barely cracked the top 50?).
Yup. They're not gonna come out and say that the price drop didn't make a difference and PS4 is still selling better on the day the $399 XB1 is released. GameStop and Microsoft have a long history of partnerships,and promotions. It's in their best interest to keep it that way.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom