• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

E3 2015 Predictions & Discussion thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

thuway

So what one game getting announced and/or shown would make this one of the best E3s in a while for each of you?

Shenmue 3 - since no on ever thought this game would come out.

Half Life 3 - same reasons as above.

The Last Guardian - due to the incredible anticipation.

Servbot24

Banned
Still weirds me out that people found the Crash games to be so unbelievably great that they're still clamoring for more nearly 20 years later. I mean they're fine, but...

thuway

I don't know who would make Crash PS4 if they were to even try to make it. The humor usually deployed by that franchise wouldn't exactly pan out as well in 2015 as it did in 1998 either. It's a game ripe with nostalgia of it's era and has no business in the modern day.

sinxtanx

Still weirds me out that people found the Crash games to be so unbelievably great that they're still clamoring for more nearly 20 years later. I mean they're fine, but...

Sympathy. It's a damn pity what happened to the Crash IP. It was one of THE best selling series on the original PlayStation, and basically got flushed down the drain afterwards. If it could be restored somehow it would be something like seeing a friend successfully beat their crippling addiction to heroin and start a family.

I don't know who would make Crash PS4 if they were to even try to make it. The humor usually deployed by that franchise wouldn't exactly pan out as well in 2015 as it did in 1998 either. It's a game ripe with nostalgia of it's era and has no business in the modern day.

Mark Cerny joining with force with some other veterans

75bb293afe55a7256d2a2896a39aa24f.jpg

sinxtanx

It could work as a smaller game. Give it the 3D World treatment; fixed camera angles, lots of levels, boxes everywhere to smash and jump around on. Time trials of Warped were awesome, they should stay. Add some new mechanic that blends well with the general moveset of the PS1 games (something simple for starters, like walljumps). Sprinkle with secrets.

I'd buy it but I'm a sucker for platformers.

Servbot24

Banned
Sympathy. It's a damn pity what happened to the Crash IP. It was one of THE best selling series on the original PlayStation, and basically got flushed down the drain afterwards. If it could be restored somehow it would be something like seeing a friend successfully beat their crippling addiction to heroin and start a family.

It would be more like

fellow_kids_steve_buscemi.gif

I'm keen anime fan, this looks really.good. Do you need to know the previous game storylines to get into this one?

No, you don't. The games are separate stories from each other, with only certain motifs linking them together.

Incidentally, my introduction to the series was through 3, which I hated, whereas I bought 4 (Golden) on a whim and fell in love with it, so your mileage may vary significantly. I'm confident that 5 will fall into the latter camp.

thuway

Mark Cerny joining with force with some other veterans

I mean the "idea" sounds cool but I really do wonder how many people would fork over $59.99 for Crash PS4 with Knack level visuals and story telling. Knack felt like a spiritual successor to Crash and it happened to end up being critically panned. The gameplay mechanics would have to evolve, the story telling would have to evolve, and the universe would need to be fleshed out to an extent that whoever made it (I'm assuming NOT ND) would need to take liberty with the lore.

It's ripe for an awesome pop at a press event but makes little financial sense. Kickstarter could be a cool place for it, but to put the full force of Sony purchasing the IP from Activision and doing the title justice would be a big risk with very little reward other than fan service.

Lucreto

This, Nostalgia is strong with the franchise. It would not live up to today's standards. If Crash were created today it would be Knack.

Servbot24

Banned
I'm sure they could revamp it into something fresh, but it would would have to be so dramatic that at that point you may as well just let Crash be Crash and move on to a new IP.

sinxtanx

I'd say I'm not very nostalgic about Crash himself, but I feel like the mechanics of the early games never got brought to their full potential. 1 was like a prototype, 2 felt like the first "true" game built around the base mechanics and 3 was loaded with gimmicks and vehicles and didn't further the core gameplay. We don't talk about WoC.

I'd love to have a new "speedy character breaks boxes with differing properties in a 3D environment and flips the fuck out" game.

I mean the "idea" sounds cool but I really do wonder how many people would fork over $59.99 for Crash PS4 with Knack level visuals and story telling. Knack felt like a spiritual successor to Crash and it happened to end up being critically panned. The gameplay mechanics would have to evolve, the story telling would have to evolve, and the universe would need to be fleshed out to an extent that whoever made it (I'm assuming NOT ND) would need to take liberty with the lore.

It's ripe for an awesome pop at a press event but makes little financial sense. Kickstarter could be a cool place for it, but to put the full force of Sony purchasing the IP from Activision and doing the title justice would be a big risk with very little reward other than fan service.

yeah i totally agree that it needs some major changes. But i definetely see a chance to create a game by todays standard - the ex-director Andy Gavin said this aswell
"Crash needs a total reboot. There’s an opportunity to reset the history, and go back to his creation story and the original conflict with Cortex. In that context, you could reprise classic Crash 1 and 2’s settings and villains. It would make sense to use a more modern, free-roaming style. I would concentrate on Looney Tunes-esque animation and really addictive action. That’s what we did with the original Crash, and there’s no reason it couldn’t be done today. Given [Activision's] Crash games, people forget that he was once cool. [Naughty Dog's] Crash had a certain whimsical edge to him. Sure, it was goofy – but it wasn’t dumb."

In terms of sales...I think it would profit enorm by the nostalgia effect. The Crash Games are still doing very well on the PSN Charts
In 2014 at the PSN Charts, all three Crash Games were among the top 5 of best selling games of the classics section (FF7 at number 9)

The only problem are the rights, that belong to Activision like you said. However with the strong partnership between Sony & Activision (Destiny, Black Ops3) maybe there is a small chance that they work out sth.

Maggots

Banned
Is it me or is anyone not hype up about this E3 at all?

I feel it too... no one knows anything about any company... leaks arent as rampant as last couple years too... .... Its almost like there's not much to be excited about... especially since theres a ton of games announced a few years ago that havent come out yet.... It will be tough for anyone at e3 to "tell us something we dont know"

nbnt

is responsible for the well-being of this island.
So what one game getting announced and/or shown would make this one of the best E3s in a while for each of you?
TLG.

This one title, five E3s later, is still the only thing I want out of E3. A demo, a trailer, a screenshot, I don't care, just show me anything, please.

Jomjom

Banned
Sony

UC4
R&C
Powers Season 2
Indies

Microsoft

H5
GoW Remaster
Forza 6
Scalebound
3-4 First Party Exclusives
More Indies than Sony (Have a feeling they'll do this to combat some of the backlash at parity clause)
Fallout 4 Exclusivity of some sort

Nintendo

Zelda
Star Fox
Amiibos
I HAVE NO IDEA!

I feel it too... no one knows anything about any company... leaks arent as rampant as last couple years too... .... Its almost like there's not much to be excited about... especially since theres a ton of games announced a few years ago that havent come out yet.... It will be tough for anyone at e3 to "tell us something we dont know"

But isn't this a good thing?? That beast Souls leak (the big surprise and highlight) spoiled the whole E3 Show for me and many others...That SF V leak took away the big surprise of the PSX show.
I rather want hype threads and people getting crazy after E3 conferences :)

thuway

What are the chances of seeing a TitanFall 2 at E3?

I could imagine it at Sony's press event with a series of bad jokes including "Have you seen TitanFall.... running in native 1080p on PS4?"

TomShoe

Banned
I don't think Star Ocean 5 won't make it to E3, it's too Japanese for the mainstream audience. A TGS showing is more likely.

lol make another one?

Maybe i will when the hype is taking me over :p

I don't think Star Ocean 5 won't make it to E3, it's too Japanese for the mainstream audience. A TGS showing is more likely.

I could image Sony dedicating a small section of the show for japanese Games (like 5-6 minutes) where we get to see a new Persona Trailer, a Star Ocean Trailer and the english Trailer for Dragon Quest Heroes + Release Date(s)

Asd202

I could image Sony dedicating a small section of the show for japanese Games (like 5-6 minutes) where we get to see a new Persona Trailer, a Star Ocean Trailer and the english Trailer for Dragon Quest Heroes + Release Date(s)

Persona maybe but Dragon quest and Star Ocean? I don't think so maybe they'll part of SE conference.

Tratorn

It could, at SE prss conference, where they have all the time they want and everyone expects japanese games there.

If Sony doesn't want to lose japanese support (besides the standard ones like RE, FF, MGS etc.), they have to get an audience for these games in the west, because in japan they won't sell that well. So they should spare at least some marketing time in their western press conferences for them.

chemicals

I honestly think Sony will drop at least two big surprise announcements. The ps4 is selling like mad.. There has to be some killer exclusives coming. There just has to be. Publishers would be idiotic to not do this. Really!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom