• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

EA announces Subscription Service for Xbox One ($5/month or $30/year, get game vault)

p3tran

Banned
Deciding if I should go for 1 month or 1 year...

I did one year. even though I already have the next possible games too. (nfs/pvz)
if i am not satisfied by overall service by the end of my subscription, i will not subscribe again.
you could do a month, but the monthly fee seems not so great when compared to the yearly fee.

Wait, so they have no plans to remove any titles from the Vault, but at the same time you shouldn't be surprised if they remove titles from the Vault? What? They should be able to guarantee that you have permanent access to the titles. Smells fishy to me...

I think they mean this in a do you still expect FIFA 14 to be in there by the time FIFA 17 or 18 rolls around kind of thing. It might make sense under certain circumstances to remove games, but in general I don't expect a game, once it makes it in, to be removed for a very long time. And I assume there may not be many cases where a game that's removed isn't shortly balanced out by something added.

I did one year. even though I already have the next possible games too. (nfs/pvz)
if i am not satisfied by overall service by the end of my subscription, i will not subscribe again.
you could do a month, but the monthly fee seems not so great when compared to the yearly fee.

Same, went for the year to see what it's like come the end, and if I still really like what I'm getting for the cost, I'll keep it.

jeremiahg

Neo Member
Not a bad deal, and I think subscription models like this may take off in the future. My only word of caution for those who invest is that the service cost is almost guaranteed to be increased substantially in the future. They are probably hooking people with a low subscription rate like this for now, and as they add more games plan on increasing the cost.

Fuck this stupid EA Access app. This piece of shit just keeps trying to connect to EA servers over and over again. EA has constantly shown how shitty they are at actually launching any service. I am actually having trouble thinking of a game OR service from EA that has online functionality that actually works like it should on day one.

I'll be home by Thursday so I wonder if GameStop will carry the sub card since I don't want to put my credit card on my Xbox one

I'm excited to get back into bf4 and play peggle 2
Bonus for FIFA and madden since I was waiting for them to be cheap

Came out of beta rather quick, guess it's all working as intended. I have interest but going to wait until I can get a store bought code.

UK price seems rather good, £3.99 for a month or £19.99 for the year, I kept thinking in dollars = pounds because video games.

blakep267

I want them to put live on already. I don't really care of it sucks( since I think 2k sucks). Just want to play some basketball games

Anyone else able to actually get it going? I've been trying all day and can't seem to get it to go past the app. Keeps bugging out on "Connecting to EA Servers." I guess, I shouldn't be surprised.

Northern California here.

Synth

I think they mean this in a do you still expect FIFA 14 to be in there by the time FIFA 17 or 18 rolls around kind of thing. It might make sense under certain circumstances to remove games, but in general I don't expect a game, once it makes it in, to be removed for a very long time. And I assume there may not be many cases where a game that's removed isn't shortly balanced out by something added.

They may also find themselves with an Outrun or Marvel vs Capcom scenario. They'd be stupid not to have something like that in there, just in case.

D4Danger

Unconfirmed Member
Wait, so they have no plans to remove any titles from the Vault, but at the same time you shouldn't be surprised if they remove titles from the Vault? What? They should be able to guarantee that you have permanent access to the titles. Smells fishy to me...

that's their legal out. It's happened before where publishing deals or something in the game (like some licensed music) has caused it to be pulled from one of the digital stores.

or maybe they'll just starting dropping old versions of games when they close the servers or whatever. That seems like something EA would do.

Somnia

Anyone else able to actually get it going? I've been trying all day and can't seem to get it to go past the app. Keeps bugging out on "Connecting to EA Servers." I guess, I shouldn't be surprised.

Northern California here.

I dont' have access to my xbox one right now, but everyone I know who signed up have had 0 issues.

I've had zero issues man.

I must have the worse luck. Every EA game I've bought in the last few years(B3,B4,Titanfall) have all had launch issues that I've always experienced every single time. I thought I wouldn't run into issues nearly as much moving to California from Hawaii. I guess I was wrong.

MacBosse

Alright, got EA Access going here. Took a year sub and started downloading BF4. For the amount of bucks they ask for a year I think its a good deal for me and it will be intresting to see how this progress.

Kertiously

Neo Member
Anyone having issues downloading games? I subscribed to this and I'm trying to download FIFA, however the download never begins and eventually just stops all together. Am I doing something wrong?

Cider X

Just bought a 1 month sub and I'm in tier 2 unsupported scrub country. Works fine, payed with Visa card and I'm now downloading madden and BF4. So if you're on the fence about this due to living in a tier 2 country I can confirm it works.

Edit: forgot to mention I bought it from the U.S. store.

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?
All of a sudden Battlefield 4 is not working for me. I was playing it earlier in the day but now it asks me for the disc and only gives me the option to buy it when I go to the EA Access app. Madden and Fifa work fine and give me the option to Play when to go to the app. Anyone else had an issue like this?

Stuy999

Neo Member
All of a sudden Battlefield 4 is not working for me. I was playing it earlier in the day but now it asks me for the disc and only gives me the option to buy it when I go to the EA Access app. Madden and Fifa work fine and give me the option to Play when to go to the app. Anyone else had an issue like this?

I've been having the same problem. Spoke to xbox support and they say the EA servers are having problems; whether that's true or not I don't know..

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?
I've been having the same problem. Spoke to xbox support and they say the EA servers are having problems; whether that's true or not I don't know..

Hmm, ok, I'll just try again later. Thanks!

Spades

It's been confirmed that MUT is in the Madden 15 early access version. If MUT is included, then I'm pretty confident that what we're going to get is the full game (as expected) to play until launch.

Can't wait!

mrklaw

MrArseFace
do you have to subscribe for a year or any kind of minimum period? Just wondering what would stop you subscribing for a month just before eg Madden came out, so you could play the game early plus effectively rent the four older games for a month for $5?

Castef

Banned
What's the issue here? Pay for as long as you want, and if they get shitty about it, cancel your sub. It's not like the agreement is bound in blood for all time.

As far as I understand most people in this thread think that when you subscribe you immediately get some kind of unremovable mark on your forehead, glowing in the darkness.

mike4001_

do you have to subscribe for a year or any kind of minimum period? Just wondering what would stop you subscribing for a month just before eg Madden came out, so you could play the game early plus effectively rent the four older games for a month for $5?

You can subscribe for one month or one year.

Each will continue automatically if you do not cancel it (can by easily done on xbox.com)

As long as you are subscribed you can use their games/services.

How you "plan" this is completely up to you.

Alx

Now that I think about it, I hadn't considered that the 10% discount on a full game purchase could pay back a one month $5 subscription. It's an interesting take on the "paid demo" aspect for those who don't really want to subscribe ; just wait for 4 weeks before a game release, get a one month subscription and play the game :
If you like it and buy it, you make back your one month subscription with the discount.
If you dislike it and don't buy it, you just got a rental/paid demo for a few weeks.

Not a bad business model actually. The only catch is that you have to buy digital for it to work.

Hasney

Can you easily sign up for the US version from the UK through region switching? Asking for a friend and I don't have an XB1 so I can't test it myself, but even with the discounts it becomes more expensive to buy games in the UK still than just buying outright from the US store.

Spades

Can you easily sign up for the US version from the UK through region switching? Asking for a friend and I don't have an XB1 so I can't test it myself, but even with the discounts it becomes more expensive to buy games in the UK still than just buying outright from the US store.

You can't subscribe using the US store (unless you have a US credit card on file) but I'm hoping that once you're a member, switching the store to US will allow you to download games using the discount (and get early access even earlier).

You can't subscribe using the US store (unless you have a US credit card on file) but I'm hoping that once you're a member, switching the store to US will allow you to download games using the discount (and get early access even earlier).

That's not correct. I am in Australia and purchased from the US store using my AU credit card, I was just required to use a US address.

And yes, you can switch between regions to get the discount.

Spades

That's not correct. I am in Australia and purchased from the US store using my AU credit card, I was just required to use a US address.

Ah my bad, I was getting confused as I know you can't pay with credit on your US account.

And I just confirmed also that I purchased my subscription on the UK store but I still get the 10% discount on the US store.

Hasney

Ah my bad, I was getting confused as I know you can't pay with credit on your US account.

And I just confirmed also that I purchased my subscription on the UK store but I still get the 10% discount on the US store.

Thanks for the responses guys. So basically I'll tell her that whichever subscription is fine (UK yearly is £3 more in terms of raw conversion, but card charges sometimes apply to USD so whichever is easier for her card) and then get the games from the US store. Win-win!

EA Access ‏@EAAccess 16s
EA Access members, prepare to start your engines! @NeedforSpeed Rivals is racing to The Vault: http://bit.ly/1qm0EWP

https://twitter.com/EAAccess/status/506864918780313600

EDIT: Coming soon

Need for Speed Rivals Goes in The Vault
To welcome our new members, we will be adding Need for Speed Rivals to The Vault in the coming weeks. Need for Speed Rivals will join Battlefield 4, FIFA 14, Peggle 2, and Madden NFL 25 in The Vault as games you can play any time you want for as long as you want. Rivals lets you play as either cop or racer, and introduces the all-new AllDrive social system to blend the line between singleplayer and multiplayer.

Top Bottom