• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

EA CFO: XBO Pricing Strategy Catching up to PS4, expects 25M PS4+XB1 after holidays

Welfare

That's not catching up, that's being outpaced slower.

So either he misspoke about the worldwide statement or whatever data they have shows the One has been outselling the PS4 worldwide. I think the latter is BS, so it has to a misspeaking.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
We understand that both consoles will move over 60 million consoles each. After 5-7 years.
umm... I have some bad news for you. You better sit down.

no way in hell to believe XBONE is on track to surpass 60M at its first year rate and with PS4 dominance

SerTapTap

Jesus people.

Dude's saying the MS is catching up to Sony's PRICING STRATEGIES, not sales.

It's a sensationalist Gamespot headline, and it's a sensationalist thread title.

Ugh.

Clearly, Sony has jumped out to a lead with a great console and I think a great pricing strategy. But Microsoft is catching up quickly

To me that definitely sounds like they're talking about catching up to Sony's lead, not pricing strategy. Their pricing strategy is identical since early this year so that doesn't even make sense.

So either he misspoke about the worldwide statement or whatever data they have shows the One has been outselling the PS4 worldwide. I think the latter is BS, so it has to a misspeaking.

He's being misquoted, badly.

He was talking specifically about how the consoles are PRICED, not how they are SELLING.

To me that definitely sounds like they're talking about catching up to Sony's lead, not pricing strategy. Their pricing strategy is identical since early this year so that doesn't even make sense.

You're not speaking CFO. Sony's "pricing strategy" in this case is its launch pricing and its bundling. He's saying the Microsoft is catching up to Sony's leadership in pricing quickly by dropping the price and doing its bundling.

MavFan619

Banned
Wouldn't PS4 WW sales have to stall by a lot for them to catch up? I just got an Xbone and have a PS4 I'm all for install bases growing but this doesn't seem accurate.

He's probably using the same accounting method as the federal government when it claims the deficit is closing. Instead of meaning the national debt is reducing, the feds mean it just isn't growing as quickly.
Huh? There's no "method" to that. The federal government is not trying to imply that our national debt is decreasing. They never were and there's no special accounting to attribute towards our falling deficit.

There's a clear distinction between deficit and total debt and there's no deception on the governments part about it.

Tired of seeing that y2kev post used as Gospel. He makes good points, but I feel the industry would look unhealthy if a big platform suddenly loses a lot of marketshare. Also, comparing it to cola seems kind of absurd. It's not like we want cola to do well so we get to drink improved cola 6-7 years down the line.

GnawtyDog

Banned
Jesus people.

It's a sensationalist Gamespot headline, and it's a sensationalist thread title.

Ugh.

So does it demand a thread title change for lack of specificity? Won't give Gamespot a click - just how it's....

KoopaTheCasual

realistically 2-3M in channel. There is no hard evidence that EITHER console will hit 1M units each this holiday for each month.. which is likely at least what MS would have to do to hit 9M sold through.

hell, I don't even know if PS4 is going to hit 1M both months.. the only reason 15M sounds possible is because the system sells like crazy in the rest of the world also.

Sony is at 13.5M sold-in. Over 10M sold through.. at this point likely 11-12M sold through.
Sony was at 13.5M sold in months ago.

15M at the end of the holidays would be terrible, considering how the back half of the year usually makes a vast majority of sales. 17M bare minimum, is my estimate.

Lady Gaia

That's an underestimation imo. I predict it's gonna be >30M. (19-20M PS4/10-12M Xbones)

That your estimate seems far more grounded in reality than what's coming from EA's CFO is pretty entertaining. Either it's spin, or they need leadership that doesn't take their parters' word at face value. MS may be closing the gap on the first derivative (getting closer to getting closer) but they're still losing headway in most regions and it remains to be seen if their momentum over the past few weeks is remotely sustainable.

It's not a given that PS4 will top 20M by the end of the year, but it will at least be close. For the combined total to be anywhere near as low as 25M would millions of Xbox returns where in reality they're going to see healthy sales in the US at least. 30M combined feels a little conservative, if anything.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
Sony was at 13.5M sold in months ago.

15M at the end of the holidays would be terrible, considering how the back half of the year usually makes a vast majority of sales. 17M bare minimum, is my estimate.

again, that 13.5M is sold in. Realistically sold-through is maybe 12M right now. They basically have to sell 2.5M a month to hit your numbers. Unlikely.

edit - lol... if by "months" ago you mean 3 weeks... it was PR from the end of October :p

BadWolf

Jesus people.

Ugh.

How are they catching up to Sony's pricing strategies exactly?

Sony hasn't made any adjustments to the price. All they have done is bundle games.

Wasn't MS the first to give away free games with the X1?

madmackem

Wouldn't PS4 WW sales have to stall by a lot for them to catch up? I just got an Xbone and have a PS4 I'm all for install bases growing but this doesn't seem accurate.
Ps4 would've had to simply had stopped selling worldwide for his statement to be truth. Two weeks of strong Xbox sales in one region has gone to some people's heads. Xb1 is pretty much doa in mainland Europe and Japan.

orochi91

We understand that both consoles will move over 60 million consoles each. After 5-7 years.

Right?

There are no real losers in our era of gaming.

We get this, right?

60 million for XB1???

Not a chance in hell.

They'd be lucky to hit 50 million.

ughh... some you guys do take brand worshiping into a next level of obnoxious

Nah, EA being PR for MS is what's obnoxious here.

So does it demand a thread title change for lack of specificity? Won't give Gamespot a lick - just how it's....

Based on the conversation, yes.

An interesting conversation can be had on pricing strategies between the two boxes, as MS has indeed tried to catch up.

As it is, however...

How are they catching up to Sony's pricing strategies exactly?

Sony hasn't made any adjustments to the price. All they have done is bundle games.

Wasn't MS the first to give away free games with the X1?

Don't confuse tactics with strategy. Sony's pricing strategy may or may not involve tactics like price drops. Sony's strategy can be EDLP with some bundling, while Microsoft is having to play hi-lo and do more bundles. That's what dude is referring to.

truth411

What I said still stands:

It's impossible for the Xbone to "catch up" right now. Unless they mean not in terms of total units sold but in terms of momentum.

To be fair he didn't say catch up in the sense it's a guaranteed, they way I read it, he meant the Xbox one is out selling the PS4 in the US lately because of the price drop and bundles (I'm assuming the article quoted him out of context, he meant US not WW). It wouldn't be surprising if M.S. wins NPD this month, but I doubt M.S. Will put too much of a dent in the PS4 1 million US lead.

Well it's awesome that Microsoft was able to refocus the Xbox division, hope to continue to see great things from them.

Tired of seeing that y2kev post used as Gospel. He makes good points, but I feel the industry would look unhealthy if a big platform suddenly loses a lot of marketshare. Also, comparing it to cola seems kind of absurd. It's not like we want cola to do well so we get to drink improved cola 6-7 years down the line.

Agreed.
Maybe competition isn't absolutely necessary, but it certainly isn't a bad thing.

Figments

His next tweet will be

"Xbox One at 10 million sold v. PS4 13 million sold, catching up!"

SO ACCURATE my guys

That's still a better ratio than what people think it is currently. I'm pretty sure there are a lot of people who still think the Xbone hasn't passed the 6 million sold mark.

daveo42

Banned
again, that 13.5M is sold in. Realistically sold-through is maybe 12M right now. They basically have to sell 2.5M a month to hit your numbers. Unlikely.

I'm guessing we'll see updated numbers from Sony at their conference in December since Sony isn't one to give out their numbers outside of hitting benchmarks.

Etnos

Banned
Nah, EA being PR for MS is what's obnoxious here.

have it occur to you maybe they saying this because their numbers show an improvement? I mean they are a multi platform publisher... Why would they even care?

If true why would even bother you? its a positive note for the industry as a whole... But of course this being MS showing an improvement, sure there is conspiracy going on... right..

Why would the CFO of EA stick his neck out and say anything like this at all? There's no need. When someone blindly says that on this forum without proof we call it blatant console warring. CFO of EA a console warrior no better than many of his consumers confirmed, and we all know that console wars are serious business. Oh, and obligatory WiiUlookingOutTheWindow.gif.

They're throwing bundles of money at one another in the EA corporate offices regardless of the leading platform. No need for weird statements like this.

And I'd certainly hope we'd get to 25 million this year. The GAF consensus estimate on the PS4 seemed to be ~18M in the last sales update thread we had and ~9M for Microsoft. Edit: Both those might seem a little low now, actually. ~19-20 and ~9.5-10 seem doable.

turnbuckle

realistically 2-3M in channel. There is no hard evidence that EITHER console will hit 1M units each this holiday for each month.. which is likely at least what MS would have to do to hit 9M sold through.

hell, I don't even know if PS4 is going to hit 1M both months.. the only reason 15M sounds possible is because the system sells like crazy in the rest of the world also.

Sony is at 13.5M sold-in. Over 10M sold through.. at this point likely 11-12M sold through.

Not in Japan.

Then again, the PS4 might have the largest % share of the market of a region in Japan relative to the XB1.

Of the 2 next gen consoles, the PS4 had over 95% of total hardware sales in Japan last week.

But that pie has gotten a lot smaller over there.

truth411

Right?

There are no real losers in our era of gaming.

We get this, right?

I highly doubt the X1 will reach 60 million, it's impossible without dominating the US and UK market, which there not.

Isak_Borg

I think this is pretty great news and shows that the console market is as healthy as ever.

People keep talking about "The End of Consoles" but we're about one year in and we're seeing pretty great numbers and will most likely see continued growth in 2015.

I think folks should stop thinking of themselves as console warriors and more of industry advocates, because this just means we'll see more growth in the industry.

Fuck UBISOFT.

BadWolf

Isn't that what happened after the SNES between the PS1 and N64?

The PS2 dominated as well and to this day has the best and most varied library of games ever with a huge install base and a shit ton of software sold.

Top Bottom