• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

EA CFO: XBO Pricing Strategy Catching up to PS4, expects 25M PS4+XB1 after holidays

I like the subtle bit of self-ownage going on in that statement. In the past they tried to bundle EA games, but only now, when they bundle Ubisoft and Activision games, are they really starting to offer value.

kinoki

Illness is the doctor to whom we pay most heed; to kindness, to knowledge, we make promise only; pain we obey.
Microsoft clearly over-valued their product and are now catching up to price it correctly. Unlike Sony who had the right price for their product all along. It's not hard to grasp.

I will say that hoping a console sells more is a bit odd though. I mean, do you hope your toaster sells a lot when you buy it? What about your TV? Your car? Your PC? Your phone?

Most people buy something, use it, and move on. I understand there are reasons to hope a system does well in terms of support but as long as you have an Xbox and PS4 and it has games on it then why care so much?

You answered your own question. Better sales = better support generally which likely means you see more games for a longer period of time. Franchises are attached to different consoles as well, so if you're a fan of a certain console maker's franchises, you likely want it to sell well so you see more of that franchise. It's really just a problem when emotions get too attached.

orochi91

Tired of seeing that y2kev post used as Gospel. He makes good points, but I feel the industry would look unhealthy if a big platform suddenly loses a lot of marketshare. Also, comparing it to cola seems kind of absurd. It's not like we want cola to do well so we get to drink improved cola 6-7 years down the line.

Return to PS1/PS2 era?

Sounds good to me.

The industry is better off with one primary market leader.

idk. I liked the PS2 era

Precisely.

THEF3AR

I'm legitimately shocked you would want this to happen

image.php

I am pretty sure accusing another GAF member of being a fanboy is grounds for ban, correct me if I am wrong though.

So what? I like Halo. Many GAFFERS do. Because I chose to display that as my avatar you claim fanboy ism.

If I go into a Sony thread with a Halo avatar I have to be obviously a Microsoft fanboy.

FFS. Grow up. Why are you trying to create something that isn't even there? You assumed. You didn't even ask me a question about how I felt. You jumped the gun now you look like an ass.

Shame on Gamespot for completely misrepresenting what the EA guy said in a completely deceitful way.

The Xbox One is "catching up quickly" to the PlayStation 4 in terms of worldwide sales, according to Electronic Arts CFO Blake Jorgensen.

What exactly did the guy say that led them to jump to this conclusion?

/gamingjournalism.

At the same time western devs are a lot stronger now and there is the rise of indies as well.

Eitherway, the point is that one console dominating is not a bad thing.

The problem with western developers is that they aren't as willing to take risks and while indies have stepped in to fill some of the variety vacuum, we're still nowhere close to the sheer level of variety and quality that was on PS2.

I do agree that one console dominating isn't necessarily a bad thing, but competition is also a good thing.

Remember worldwide game releases before MS stepped into the console market? Remember having to wait months to get a game because of localisation or sometimes not even getting the game at all?

Then there was the proprietary mess. While still prevalent, isn't anywhere near the level it was on PS1/2.

Still, one console dominating isn't always bad, so long as there's a somewhat healthy competitor snapping at their heels.

You answered your own question. Better sales = better support generally which likely means you see more games for a longer period of time. Franchises are attached to different consoles as well, so if you're a fan of a certain console maker's franchises, you likely want it to sell well so you see more of that franchise. It's really just a problem when emotions get too attached.

Even if Xbox sold poorly they would still get most of the third party games for a variety of reasons.

Return to PS1/PS2 era?

Sounds good to me.

The industry is better off with one primary market leader.

If the other console makers aren't making money for a long period of time they'll leave the console industry entirely. I don't want to see MS Studios and Nintendo reach SEGA levels someday. I know it's an extreme example, but I'd like to see the big three have their ups and downs while continuing to thrive overall.

Ambition

I am pretty sure accusing another GAF member of being a fanboy is grounds for ban, correct me if I am wrong though.

So what? I like Halo. Many GAFFERS do. Because I chose to display that as my avatar you claim fanboy ism.

If I go into a Sony thread with a Halo avatar I have to be obviously a Microsoft fanboy.

FFS. Grow up. Why are you trying to create something that isn't even there? You assumed. You didn't even ask me a question about how I felt. You jumped the gun now you look like an ass.

Stating why you want the Xbox to outsell the PS4 in your original post would of helped. Maybe then people wouldn't assume anything, I don't know.

orochi91

Even if Xbox sold poorly they would still get most of the third party games for a variety of reasons.

XB1 selling poorly means PS4 will be the lead platform going forward, resulting in better optimized games.

Not to mention it would be extremely difficult to pull off a Tomb Raider type timed exclusive deal should the XB1 continue to lag behind the way it has.

If the other console makers aren't making money for a long period of time they'll leave the console industry entirely. I don't want to see MS Studios and Nintendo reach SEGA levels someday. I know it's an extreme example, but I'd like to see the big three have their ups and downs while continuing to thrive overall.

I see where you're coming from.

This gen seems to be returning to the way most other gens used to be: 1 runaway console, with others fulfilling their own niche.

Nintendo will still be there for the foreseeable future, as will the Xbox brand so long as it is profitable.

I doubt we will see a Sega type of clusterfuck again.

XB1 selling poorly means PS4 will be the lead platform going forward, resulting in better optimized games.

Not to mention it would be extremely difficult to pull off a Tomb Raider type timed exclusive deal should the XB1 continue to lag behind the way it has.

Not really. It would only mean MS have to pay more money to secure exclusives.

Developers and publishers will always remain open to being bought off for temp exclusivity if the money's right. Naive to think otherwise.

BadWolf

Nintendo isn't going anywhere and I would be okay with a Sony/Nintendo future.

MS has been aiming for the Playstation crowd since day one and overlaps immensely with Sony. I don't think they will be missed much should they exit tbh.

2thepoint

*PS4 outsells Xbone in october
*Xbone cuts price and gives free games only in the US
*Xbone outsells PS4 for two weeks only in the US
-XBONE CATCHES UP-

I'm not that gullible to believe that, sorry.

Exactly what I was thinking.

Why is EA still so cosy with Microsoft even when PS4 is dominating?

I'd bet everything that if Sony was in Microsoft's position next gen (highly unlikely), you wouldn't see the press/publishers cheerleading them in comparison to Xbox.

So unbelievably strange.

Isak_Borg

I think people aren't seeing the bigger picture here.

We need a healthy competitive industry to drive innovation forward. Sony having a healthy lead this generation is pretty great (I'm an X1 owner) and has forced MS to get their house in order.

Competition is healthy for the industry and wishing your competitor to fail or aligning yourself with a multi-million dollar company that doesn't even know you exist is just weird.

I want a diverse amount of options out there and that is only going to happen if we have a healthy industry.

People just need to accept that this is a very pro Sony board...anything negative towards ps4 is flamed or dismissed and anything pro xbox is dissected. ...squeezed and lit on fire

One you realize that things are peaches and cream and you look foward to the cool games

Toki767

Exactly what I was thinking.

Why is EA still so cosy with Microsoft even when PS4 is dominating?

I'd bet everything that if Sony was in Microsoft's position next gen (highly unlikely), you wouldn't see the press/publishers cheerleading them in comparison to Xbox.

So unbelievably strange.

It all goes back to the PS2 days where Microsoft basically wined and dined most of the press whereas Sony treated them like dirt.

People just need to accept that this is a very pro Sony board...anything negative towards ps4 is flamed or dismissed and anything pro xbox is dissected. ...squeezed and lit on fire

One you realize that things are peaches and cream and you look foward to the cool games

People just need to accept that this board isn't biased towards any one brand. When I originally joined Sony couldn't catch a break no matter what they did and the majority were incredibly pro-Microsoft.

orochi91

Developers and publishers will always remain open to being bought off for temp exclusivity if the money's right. Naive to think otherwise.

I can't fathom MS continuing to buy there way into relevancy should PS4 sales continue to grow at its current pace.

We're talking extreme money-hats for mere months of exclusivity at that point.

Chobel

Isn't that very similar to what he said "extremely difficult"? More expansive maneyhats = lower profits = it will be a lot difficult to justify moneyhatting.

I can't fathom MS continuing to buy there way into relevancy should PS4 sales continue to grow at its current pace.

We're talking extreme money-hats for mere months of exclusivity at that point.

MS are more than happy to buy their way to some level of success and developers/publishers are more than happy to let someone take on some of the development cost burden...

Even if the end result is only a deal for 3 months exclusivity, that's still three months where they can claim the game is only available on their platform and hope it drives sales...

Jac_Solar

Is the Holiday season that significant for sales? Could they really sell 10 million in less than 2 months, 5 million less than their TOTAL sold so far?

SFenton

1. I find it funny that whenever i see a thread title that paints the XBO in a positive light, the odds that Statham is the thread maker are likely. I find it funny that's all.

I find it funny that a lot of your posts paint the XB1 in a negative light.

I'm fine as i am thank you. I despise MS/XB something fierce, nothing and no one will ever change that :D

I don't need any X-mas presents, i just want the PS4 taking Nov/Dec... that would be the ultimate gift for me... :D

It's not about the poster, it's about the content. And that can vary from post to post. There doesn't seem to be anything in the OP that anyone else wouldn't have posted.

As for point 2, now that there's been clarification on what exactly CFO was talking about, I suppose my argument for this thread is invalid. That being said, yes, I'm pretty sure the CFO knows way better than we do about how games consoles are selling.

user_nat

THE WORDS! They'll drift away without the _!
I doubt it will catch up in any way, however, some people seem to be confusing catching up with already caught up.

Isn't that very similar to what he said "extremely difficult"? More expansive maneyhats = lower profits = it will be a lot difficult to justify moneyhatting.

I took it to mean it would be harder to convince developers/publishers to even entertain the idea of the game being exclusive for a certain amount of time rather than asking for more money.

Toki767

Is the Holiday season that significant for sales? Could they really sell 10 million in less than 2 months, 5 million less than their TOTAL sold so far?

They aren't going to sell 10 million in 2 months, no. I think the high point is probably around 3 million, though I don't know if it would be at the current pricepoint. The 360's NPD highest sales I think was what, November 2011 with 1.7 million sold in that month? That was probably due to the Kinect hype and the 360 selling for $200 which is the traditionally assumed mass market impulse buying price.

Mikey Jr.

Yeah, what are you guys talking about?

He's obviously talking sales.

Microsoft is catching up to pricing strategy? Da fuck?

He was referring to the first part of the sentence when he talks about the PS4 lead.

So were you requesting a self ban?
I hope the Xbox One does outsell the PS4.

Because hoping [insert piece of plastic] outsells [insert piece of plastic] is the definition of fanboyism no matter what the reasoning. You exposed yourself, your avatar was the cherry on top

jesu

So were you requesting a self ban?

Because hoping [insert piece of plastic] outsells [insert piece of plastic] is the definition of fanboyism no matter what the reasoning. You exposed yourself, your avatar was the cherry on top

Did you just accuse someone of being a fanboy?

Shame on Gamespot for completely misrepresenting what the EA guy said in a completely deceitful way.

What exactly did the guy say that led them to jump to this conclusion?

/gamingjournalism.

That is too funny, I read the whole article, Gamespot is who said that, they run that they are "closing the gap" in the title, and that was never even said in the interview at all. "Close the gap" was what the author of the article said, but EA's CEO never said that.

Top Bottom