• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

EA CFO: XBO Pricing Strategy Catching up to PS4, expects 25M PS4+XB1 after holidays

This argument sucks. Look at how Sony dragged its feet on online play. Look at PSN even now. You need competition or people get lazy. Look at the release of the PS3!

Perhaps Sony never originally wanted gaming to go online play!

Personally, I still to this day despise online and can't find the fascination behind running around the same map with no objective or story and just shooting human controlled avatars, etc.

It's ushered in all the bollocks I hate in gaming now; the microtransactions, the day one DLC, the tacked on MP in every game, the buggy releases that can be patched later, and so forth.

Isn't that after the launch?
No, the launch period of a product usually covers a couple of months at least. This is usually the period where they're trying to produce enough of a product to satisfy demand, they don't usually satisfy their demand in the first two months.

It becomes even more complicated when you realise it took Microsoft almost a year to fully roll out their launch to other countries.

Cidd

Personally, I still to this day despise online and can't find the fascination behind running around the same map with no objective or story and just shooting human controlled avatars, etc.

It's ushered in all the bollocks I hate in gaming now; the microtransactions, the day one DLC, the tacked on MP in every game, the buggy releases that can be patched later, and so forth.

Couldn't agree more, I'll take Jrpgs over online shooters any day.

Figments

Your whole post implies that the only games with online multiplayer are shooters.

Your whole post implies that the only games with online multiplayer are shooters.

Yeah, but MMO's are their own beast that kinda don't interfere with the traditional single player adventures with rich gameplay and story. They operate alone, have their own subs, etc.

Single player games have been interfered with and dissected to pieces, then reassembled with all the rotten things I detailed above. Even worse is that we are at the point now where even when a dev comes along and tries to adhere to that traditional single player adventure, such as with the Order 1886, it gets a big fucking target painted on its back.

Guaranteed that game gets poor reviews.

orochi91

I also doubt this. Sales for the last week of October, which MS used as reference for the "triple" figure, were suppressed b/c the price count was announced then and I'm certain many buyers held off until the price drop. If October kept up w/ September (it didn't) and they did 280k in September, that'd translate to a weekly average of 70k, for the "triple" figure to be 210k over two weeks. Saying it keeps that pace to BF and that's now 280k, and 90% of Nov. sales happen on BF weekend, and that's about 252k on BF, or 532k for the month.

In November.

That's Saturn-tier.

That's a great perspective on the situation, I never made that connection.

~550k seems to be a good bet for the XB1.

Where do you see the PS4 ending up at?

I want to say around 480k-520k.

Biker19

Banned
It may be that, but I think it's just more likely that the PS4 sells steadily whereas the Xbox One with all the different price cuts and bundles spikes in sales and then drops off.

This. It was only a matter of time before PS4 regained control, honestly. Especially when they have exclusive marketing with GTA V.

Add me to your list. Can't agree more!

jesu

No, the launch period of a product usually covers a couple of months at least. This is usually the period where they're trying to produce enough of a product to satisfy demand, they don't usually satisfy their demand in the first two months.

It becomes even more complicated when you realise it took Microsoft almost a year to fully roll out their launch to other countries.

So the X1 launch was actually better than the 360 launch considering that it took almost a year to fully roll out the X1 launch?

Doukou

What do they have to do with eachother. Japanese make JRPGs while online shooters are made by primarily western developers. The fall of JRPGs has to do with Japanese declining console market.

Toki767

$70 sticker shock during the busiest holiday event of the year.

What's hilarious is that last year when Microsoft was $100 more expensive, people were making the argument that parents are going to spend that extra $100 if their kid really wants an Xbox One over a PS4.

Now this year people think parents won't spend an extra $50-70 if their kid really wants a PS4 over an Xbox One.

Goodness no! Not for any fanboy reasons either; simply that it would be incredibly poor for a system that's done as well as PS4 in NPD for the rest of the year, to come so under the curve in the holiday months. That'd represent a massive drop in momentum.

Realistically I don't see that being possible, but crazier things have happened. If on the off-chance XBO does outsell PS4 in Nov/Dec, it'll be closer to how it outsold PS4 last December i.e just by a few ten thousand. And both systems should do at least 600k in Nov.

Single player games have been interfered with and dissected to pieces, then reassembled with all the rotten things I detailed above. Even worse is that we are at the point now where even when a dev comes along and tries to adhere to that traditional single player adventure, such as with the Order 1886, it gets a big fucking target painted on its back.

Guaranteed that game gets poor reviews.
Dunno; reviewers do like pretty graphics and that's the best-looking photo-realistic game I see coming out anytime soon. I think RAD's just been holding back a lot w/ the demos.

What I will say, though, is that I don't think Sony can afford Order getting poor reviews, and I hope certain reviewers who would be biased against it, just elect not to review it at all.

No way. PS4 did 550k in September alone off of Destiny hype. Now they have a GTA/TLOU and LBP3/Lego Batman bundle and holiday shoppers? Should be at least 700-800k

What's hilarious is that last year when Microsoft was $100 more expensive, people were making the argument that parents are going to spend that extra $100 if their kid really wants an Xbox One over a PS4.

Now this year people think parents won't spend an extra $50-70 if their kid really wants a PS4 over an Xbox One.

I even get dizzy with some of this stuff.

NickFire

I think it has a lot more to do with MS crappy practices, like BS/deceiving/vague PR statements. personally, the more I learn, the more turned-off I am. If I was a share/stock holder and/or employee of MS, I'd probably look the other way (as some may already do), but I'm not.

I don't see the same dislike towards the Wii U, do you?

Yep, that's exactly right. People don't really hate the Xbox One. They hate the company who makes it because of the crap its been doing in recent years. And many have decided to speak up and call MS out on its bull, and to fight back against MS for money hatting games away from their system of choice.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
What do they have to do with eachother. Japanese make JRPGs while online shooters are made by primarily western developers. The fall of JRPGs has to do with Japanese declining console market.

Many times, Japanese devs could count on western sales making up the difference. Now that western gaming has been curated and fully turned into online FPS playing drones, many other gaming genre's are essentially dead or hardly do any real numbers. And the rise of Xbox live and the dude bro has a lot to do with that.

I don't mind western games at all, but its a fact that a large reason for the fall of Japanese gaming is the hostile backlash against japanese games after a point in time where western games were all the rage. Now your a weaboo if you so much as look at a japanese game with interest, or are not taken seriously by the western media.

inbit

Banned
Jesus people.

Dude's saying the MS is catching up to Sony's PRICING STRATEGIES, not sales.

It's a sensationalist Gamespot headline, and it's a sensationalist thread title.

Ugh.

I don't know how you came to that conclusion. It seems to me they're talking about sales.

orochi91

Goodness no! Not for any fanboy reasons either; simply that it would be incredibly poor for a system that's done as well as PS4 in NPD for the rest of the year, to come so under the curve in the holiday months. That'd represent a massive drop in momentum.

Realistically I don't see that being possible, but crazier things have happened. If on the off-chance XBO does outsell PS4 in Nov/Dec, it'll be closer to how it outsold PS4 last December i.e just by a few ten thousand. And both systems should do at least 600k in Nov.

No way. PS4 did 550k in September alone off of Destiny hype. Now they have a GTA/TLOU and LBP3/Lego Batman bundle and holiday shoppers? Should be at least 700-800k

I suppose my pessimism for total November sales stems from the MoM decline in hardware exhibited by both consoles from September to October.

Unless that's historically how consoles trend from September to October.

This is when Aqua comes in and throws historical data at us.

That word-of-mouth/snowball effect wouldn't be a significant factor since the gap between the 2 consoles in the US is ~1 million.

Not sure if kids would opt for a PS4 when the MCC is waiting for them.

Good for gamers

Keep sucking those nuts.

It would be interesting to see how things went if Sony and MS were neck and neck.

Funny how they use the future number giving by MS vs the old numbers from Sony to say that they are catching up lol.

Even MS can spin EA.

EA & UBISOFT sure have been working to make it so, so I am sure they're happy if this is indeed true.

Unprecedented partnership.

The fuck has it got to do with EA. The 25M I get but the comment on catching up? Sure shows WHO they want to do well. Fuckers.

Doukou

Many times, Japanese devs could count on western sales making up the difference. Now that western gaming has been curated and fully turned into online FPS playing drones, many other gaming genre's are essentially dead or hardly do any real numbers. And the rise of Xbox live and the dude bro has a lot to do with that.

I don't mind western games at all, but its a fact that a large reason for the fall of Japanese gaming is the hostile backlash against japanese games after a point in time where western games were all the rage. Now your a weaboo if you so much as look at a japanese game with interest, or are not taken seriously by the western media.

A bit hypocritical to be offended by weaboo yet call western gaming nothing but online fps playing drones. Both you and the person calling you a weaboo are making large generalizations.

I don't understand your point though. You are saying that Japanese games died off due to a large part by western gaming. Western gaming became popular because people lost focus on Japanese gaming right and thought western games were more interesting. So are we blaming people for playing what they like and that developers made a product that people want? How can anyone be blamed if that is the case?

The argument for the connection is that Western fans used to like JRPGs but now like FPSes so I want FPSes to 'end' so they will be forced to like JRPGs?

EatMyFace

Banned
I suppose my pessimism for total November sales stems from the MoM decline in hardware exhibited by both consoles from September to October.

This is when Aqua comes in and throws historical data at us.

That word-of-mouth/snowball effect wouldn't be a significant factor since the gap between the 2 consoles in the US is ~1 million.

Not sure if kids would opt for a PS4 when the MCC is waiting for them.
Not sure kids care about Halo these days. COD is easily more popular.

I get what you're saying but not all Western games are dudebros and online FPS.

I agree. Said to a mate mine at the time when Halo 2 came out.

Having said that, I do enjoy some online multiplayer games but it has, for the most part, fucked gaming in many ways.

Hopefully in the long run, it will sort itself right. I mean, I really wish a few games on the WiiU were online such as Nintendoland, Pikmin 3 and a better WiiSports (that worked ffs with a bit more love and money spent on its development) would be good online experiences. What I'm saying is, some online gaming is good for gaming too.

orochi91

I don't understand your point though. You are saying that Japanese games died off due to a large part by western gaming. Western gaming became popular because people lost focus on Japanese gaming right. So are we blaming people for playing what they like and that developers made a product that people want? How can anyone be blamed if that is the case?

Honestly, most Japanese devs from the PS2 days were mid-tier who couldn't afford to transition to HD standards.

PS3 being an absolute bitch to program was also a primary factor in their decline.

This was compounded by the fact the X360 players didn't really get into JRPGs at all lol

PS4 being easier to develop for, plus Sony's embrace of indies is the best shot those mid-tier devs have of making a comeback of some sorts.

Doukou

Honestly, most Japanese devs from the PS2 days were mid-tier who couldn't afford to transition to HD standards.

PS3 being an absolute bitch to program was also a primary factor in their decline.

This was compounded by the fact the X360 players didn't really get into JRPGs at all lol

PS4 being easier to develop for, plus Sony's embrace of indies is the best shot those mid-tier devs have of making a comeback of some sorts.

I would say it's a combination of the PS3 being meh in the U.S.A and the 360 being meh in Japan that caused a split user base that resulted in that.
I don't think it will be a comeback to PS2 levels where they had the biggest of budgets but I could see it becoming a decent indie focus at a 20-30 dollar level.

A bit hypocritical to be offended by weaboo yet call western gaming nothing but online fps playing drones. Both you and the person calling you a weaboo are making large generalizations.

I don't understand your point though. You are saying that Japanese games died off due to a large part by western gaming. Western gaming became popular because people lost focus on Japanese gaming right and thought western games were more interesting. So are we blaming people for playing what they like and that developers made a product that people want? How can anyone be blamed if that is the case?

The argument for the connection is that Western fans used to like JRPGs but now like FPSes so I want FPSes to 'end' so they will be forced to like JRPGs?
Forest from the trees my dude.

No one's got problems if a person prefers COD over Guilty Gear. However, it just helps that they prefer it for the right reasons. If a person isn't playing Guilty Gear simply b/c its Japanese or has an anime aesthetic, that's ignorance plain and simple. It shows they've got a warped sense of patriotism and generalize a medium w/ many diverse styles b/c they probably didn't like Pokemon back in middle school or w/e.

If on the other hand they prefer it b/c they can't get into fighting games and have tried GG games in the past and failed miserably at them, and are really competitive in FPSs and don't want to be frustrated learning how to play GG and don't have the time to learn something new, that's somewhat unfortunate but more than respectable.

There's probably at least a decent # of people who base what they play exactly like that, and it's irksome to those of us who enjoy the creative diversity that was more abundant in the industry before Western AAA took over.

This is when Aqua comes in and throws historical data at us..

Don't know much about the MoM stuff, but I just assumed it natural November/December are quite bigger months than September. Altho, thinking on it now maybe this September was a bit of an anomaly b/c of Destiny? I think YoY console sales are up, but that may or may not be saying too much.

Also if you're reading this Aqua and Cream, I miss you guys. We all miss 'ya.

RedAssedApe

Banned
Sony is likely going to be well over 15 million after the holidays. 10 mil for xbox one sounds about right though.

You're expecting the XB1 to sell 3+ million over the next two months?

For reference, those are historic Wii levels.

Not happening, whatsoever.

The is not even 10 millions Xbox One shipped....

Um, it's not like the PS4 is selling 0 consoles throughout the holidays.

I expect Sony to be higher. Was just saying that what the guy was saying probably isn't a totally outrageous number to throw out there. Weren't 360s selling like a million worldwide at its peak during BFs or something like that? I could see both consoles selling 2 million apiece during the holidays? That's kind of me being conservative as I have never looked at NPDs in holiday months compared to the rest of the year.

Biker19

Banned

I don't mind western games at all, but its a fact that a large reason for the fall of Japanese gaming is the hostile backlash against japanese games after a point in time where western games were all the rage. Now you're a weeaboo if you so much as look at a japanese game with interest, or are not taken seriously by the western media.

And I say, screw them all. I've been gaming since I was a small boy back in the 80's, & most of the games that I grew up playing, are Japanese games, including Arcades.

There's nothing wrong with Western games, but no one can judge me based off of games that I like to play. I play games for fun, not to please a certain group.

Doukou

We are getting off-topic in this western and japanese gaming debate.

Why shouldn't people be allowed to purchase CoD over Guilty Gear and not be be criticized for it. They don't have infinite money and know for a fact that they like games like CoD so why not buy it, not everyone is willing to drop a good amount of money on something that they may or may not like. People buy Guilty Gear because they like the anime style so why shouldn't the opposite be allowed, or at least considering. Now if they say it's shit without playing it then there is a problem.

I would also argue that this isn't a Western 'problem' either. The Japanese could also be argued to do the same thing to games also.

Also I question if the industry was really as diverse creatively as it was back then. Of course this is an un-countable object so it doesn't really matter what I say as you would just refute with your own evidence to prove it and I'll just provide other stuff to refute it. So this isn't really a good point.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Well it's awesome that Microsoft was able to refocus the Xbox division, hope to continue to see great things from them.

Agreed.
Maybe competition isn't absolutely necessary, but it certainly isn't a bad thing.

I'm tired of seeing my own post dragged out because people keep misinterpreting it. It's not about competition. It is about sales. They're unrelated but people keep conflating them.

Tired of seeing that y2kev post used as Gospel. He makes good points, but I feel the industry would look unhealthy if a big platform suddenly loses a lot of marketshare. Also, comparing it to cola seems kind of absurd. It's not like we want cola to do well so we get to drink improved cola 6-7 years down the line.

The industry is unhealthy. I don't see what the appearance of impropriety does for you really.

Also I question if the industry was really as diverse creatively as it was back then.

When you take PC output and arcade output from that time, yes, it absolutely was more creatively diverse. The 4X genre on PC has all about died out long ago, flight simulators and train simulators are pretty much dead, there's still only been one truly open-world space horror simulator (some old PS1 game from Psygnosis, never played it personally but might try it), rail-gun shooters are dead, adventure games only started making a comeback in the back half of last decade, puzzle games are about dead, arcade-style racers are dead, character-based rhythm games have been long dead, a lot of those funkier NDS games haven't seen equivalents on newer core-orientated hardware, etc.

It can be said that nowadays we need to look at it beyond just the traditional market (PC, console, handheld, arcade), but it's the lack of diversification in the traditional market almost everyone who brings up the issue on these sort of forums is complaining about in the first place. Either the genres have scaled back to a sharp degree, genre themes have scaled back or game mechanics and systems have homogenized to the point of literally making many games too easy.

Couldnt agree more campaign over online any day.

Reg

Banned
Relax man. It's only a word. I hold no real malice within it.

Here we go, I suppose I could have said "What a terrible Company sometimes EA is" = means the same to me :)

ME4UBYq.gif

Couldnt agree more campaign over online any day.

Glad you and a few others in here agree with me. It gives me hope that single player experiences aren't going the way of the Dodo.

I know people are entitled to their view, but my eye twitches when I hear of somebody getting a game and jumping straight online, ignoring the single player.

orochi91

Glad you and a few others in here agree with me. It gives me hope that single player experiences aren't going the way of the Dodo.

I know people are entitled to their view, but my eye twitches when I hear of somebody getting a game and jumping straight online, ignoring the single player.

So long as Sony and Japanese devs are around, there will always be SP games.

Top Bottom