• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

EA exec: infrastructure barrier for cloud gaming shrinking "very rapidly"

Some Nobody

By the same logic we need to factor in the tv cost right lol

Gotta have electricity, so toss that in. And an Internet bill to play online. Gotta add that too! Then you gotta have a house for all this, so toss in the rent as well!

Total cost of buying FIFA: $2000.

Manzoon

Banned
EA Basic GameNOW™ Service™, $9.99/month
EA Advanced Deployment GameNOW Service™, $14.99/month (Includes Multiplayer Access)
EA Premium GameNOW Service™, $19.99/month Best Deal (Includes Multiplayer Access, Early Access (for select titles), and 2000 EA Bux per Billing Cycle)

daninthemix

Well of course someone like a "VP of investor relations" doesn't give an everloving shit about longevity, preservation, games as art, or allowing customers to continue accessing the product they've paid for - all he cares about is his personal bottom line until he can move on or retire.

Kaako

Felium Defensor
EA Basic GameNOW™ Service™, $9.99/month
EA Advanced Deployment GameNOW Service™, $14.99/month (Includes Multiplayer Access)
EA Premium GameNOW Service™, $19.99/month Best Deal (Includes Multiplayer Access, Early Access (for select titles), and 2000 EA Bux per Billing Cycle)
Broke NDA, did we?
You'll be hearing from EA's council shortly.

TheBowen

Sat alone in a boggy marsh
It's the same problem that I had with original Xbox one

An internet exlucisve gaming will eventually become a reality, but internet in the U.K. Is so shitty that I can't be apart of it

Dirk Benedict

Gold Member
Would people get brainwashed enough to even want to move on to a model where they are at the mercy of a data connection? What if they(EA) are hacked? bad weather that interrupts services? ISP problems on YOUR end? So much shit between you and the game with that model that I don't find it feasible, unless people really clamor for it and data caps go away on top of that with the proverbial cherry on top; an overall bandwidth increase for the entire U.S.

This is a fantasy of greed and if people are generally stupid enough to support this out of "convenience" and If I am still alive when such a time comes, then that is a sure sign for me to quit gaming. Would I? Well, EA isn't every publisher, so that would remain to be seen.

The nerve of this exec, though. He envisions the money in his account, already, before any of this has even begun, by his tone.

Kaako

Felium Defensor
*tips hat, grabs onto zipline and vanishes into the night*
Got your back bruh.
VKTwlZb.gif

Xion_Stellar

People should stop referencing data that makes me feel uncomfortable because games get ported to platforms I don't like
Nope.gif

The moment the industry moves to a digital only/streaming future than I'm done with modern gaming and I will stick to retro gaming

The implication that people who are illustrating obvious barriers to why game streaming as a standard has a long, uphill climb aren't being reasonable is some bullshit and you know it. Please inform us your "sensible" solution for raising the average speed of internet in the United States, how you would deal with data caps or the rise of paid internet fast lanes for certain media services.

Thanks for the lack of context!

I was only responding to his statement about the streaming vs physical on movies and music compared to how it would be (and, at least right now, is) since streaming services don't have the same quality as the actual, physical media running (in the case of music and movies). PSNow was a step in the right direction for things as it actually works perfectly fine for some games, but others suffer greatly and having the option of doing both is a perfectly reasonable solution and outcome compared to the scorched earth everyone in this thread is taking it to be.

I have Netflix/Hulu/Amazon, can and do stream in 4k, but I also buy 4k discs for stuff I want that way because, frankly, none of those services is still meeting the quality of the disc. The video bitrate simply isn't there and most movies on the services don't offer lossless audio. I buy CDs for music for the same reason: streams, hell even digital purchases, are compressed and don't sound as good. Even if all I do is rip the disc to my NAS as a FLAC container, it's still better quality than what I get everywhere else not offering FLAC downloads.

Shpeshal Nick

aka Collingwood
At least Microsoft seems to have a nice blend of both.

Yeah u still pay a sub, but at least you get to download and play the game locally. Fuck streaming.

Melchiah

That would end my spending on games, unfortunately. Not interested in this AT ALL.

Same here. I'm also not fond of the idea of gaming going Netflix route, and having to pay monthly fees for several publishers' services to play what I like. Not to mention, being unable to play anything when the connection is down. If anything, I would most likely just stick with one service, and that's definitely not EA's.

GenericUser

The main barrier imo is the base ping you'll always have. I have a base ping of 13ms to ISP. That alone is too much for fast games.

If he refers to bandwidth, I think he could be right. But bandwidth is not everything.

c0de

The main barrier imo is the base ping you'll always have. I have a base ping of 13ms to ISP. That alone is too much for fast games.

If he refers to bandwidth, I think he could be right. But bandwidth is not everything.

This is of course, besides the other disadvantages, the main reason to me why PSNow will fail in the end.

Aureon

Please do not let me serve on a jury. I am actually a crazy person.
On the other hand, the speed of light.
It can work for some genres, but there's literally physical limitations for others.

Eventually this is the future whether we like it or not. With these shit ISPs we currently have in the U.S. It ain't happening. I'm sure they'll have some extremely generous gaming packages you can pay out the ass for though at some point. You see if you pay them more it magically unclogs all the intertubes that get oh so congested.

Other than that there's lag/ping/latency/servers or whatever it's called that has to be worked on. I dunno how people are going to game competitively with the cloud either.

But yeah we'll get there someday.

Barrier to cloud gaming has never been the ownership vs access model. We have never owned software and probably never will, we only ever bought licenses to use.

Problem is internet infrastructure. Throttling and data caps need both need to be removed before cloud gaming becomes possible.

--edit

Most likely next step towards cloud gaming will be something like this: you pre-load partial game data to your device before real gameplay starts. Essentially loading screens will be replaced with downloading screens.

Sweep14

Eventually this is the future whether we like it or not. With these shit ISPs we currently have in the U.S. It ain't happening. I'm sure they'll have some extremely generous gaming packages you can pay out the ass for though at some point. You see if you pay them more it magically unclogs all the intertubes that get oh so congested.

Other than that there's lag/ping/latency/servers or whatever it's called that has to be worked on. I dunno how people are going to game competitively with the cloud either.

But yeah we'll get there someday.

Sure in 50-80 years from now.

The problem with such systems is going to be the same as the movies and TV show distributors'. I will not have multiple subscriptions running at the same time. I'm going to pick and choose and I'm not going to be a reliable customer. For distributors whose content I only very rarely dabble in, and EA certainly fits this bill for me, I'm going to have to cut off entirely.

Jezbollah

You can bet this is the end game that EA had when introducing EA Access.

Get away from physically distributed games, give MS a big cut from that saving, everyone's happy there.

Except for Sony who when presented with this proposal probably said "yeahnah, we've got PS Now for that"

Chao

Yeah, that's nice if you want only rich people with ultrafast connections to be able to play your games.

Roshin

Would people get brainwashed enough to even want to move on to a model where they are at the mercy of a data connection?

Some people would line up to hand over their testicles, if you asked them.

As for 'cloud gaming', it's a corporate dream, obviously, but I'm sure they have a lot of research data to back it up. The future is grim and dark.

Alx

Remember when Microsoft said cloud gaming was gonna be a thing in 2013?

As a matter of fact they said in 2013 that the infrastructure wasn't ready for game streaming yet, but that it was enough for cloud processing. (of course that opinion may have been influenced by Sony's push for PSNow and their own push for Azure)

Would people get brainwashed enough to even want to move on to a model where they are at the mercy of a data connection?

People got "brainwashed" enough to use Netflix as their main platform for movie consumption, so yes ?

CSJ

Other than latency being a huge barrier it's the cost of hardware per user.
Look how much gaming for a single user is in the public domain, console or PC.

Yes, infrastructure costs are going to be massively discounted compared to your average consumer but they're in it to make money which is why it hasn't properly worked yet, running a game and providing the bandwidth to a single person takes quite a bit of power and if you want to keep up the standard of today's fidelity; a shit load more.

Some people would line up to hand over their testicles, if you asked them.

As for 'cloud gaming', it's a corporate dream, obviously, but I'm sure they have a lot of research data to back it up. The future is grim and dark.

I wouldn't say so. People go to incredible lengths just to feel good. This is esp. true with gamers who are notoriously picky and loud when it comes to grievances. No amount of corporate PR can get people over the input lag that will occur when cloud gaming, if cloud gaming is attempted with current internet infrastructure.

Only way for cloud gaming to work is that you get the core infrastructure good enough that there is no noticeable gameplay difference. That is the basic requirement. Once that is done, you get to release your Killer App that will attract people to that platform.

I wish companies would STFU about game streaming. It will never happen until someone invents a way to transmit data instentaneously without any kind of lag or dropped packets. I mean, it has been tried, like onlive, and we all know how that went. And since onlive, were all still using the same broadband infrastructure more or less. Were still using IP based connections, there is no radical overhaul of the inherent structure of how we access the internet or transfer data electronically that could mean streaming a fucking 1080p game isnt going to incur SOME input lag, or have image quality issues. Whether from codec issues or just the fact that a streaming image isnt going to look as good as a native resolution on your monitor/TV, streamign will always look worse than just playing a game normally, and give you a substantially inferior experience to you having it installed on a box in front of you

EvB

People still have shitty ISPs and data caps.

I’m fed up of this poor excuse.

Let’s get his straight, it’s not EA who have put that data cap on your ISP, I’m sure they along with lots of other companies would love for you not to have a terrible ISP.

This is not the same problem elsewhere in the world, and US consumers have only made it worse for themselves by putting trump in place.

People need to stop being so closed minds about what cloud gaming is, if is not purely streaming games.

It’s almost as if people haven’t equated that when tech companies say cloud, they are just trying to not use the somewhat fuddy duddy phrase “internet”

ZenTzen

No thanks, i'd rather own my games, its has nothing to do with data caps, or whatever, its the simple fact of me having the ability to play whatever game i fucking want, whenever i want

As game development/marketing budgets continue their unstoppable march upwards, large publishers of AAA games will have to figure out how to expand and develop sales of their products in emerging markets (e.g. China, ME, Asia).

Sure they're all chomping at the bit to increase their monetization of existing markets today, through GaaS and micro-transactions, but there's an inherent limit to this that will only become more restrictive as time goes on and the rise in average salaries vs. inflation continues to crater in the all the largest gaming markets.

So if emerging markets—where physical boxed products are more important—will become more important over time, then moving to a cloud gaming model will only limit the reach of publishers in these ever increasingly important markets.

Likewise, cloud streaming models for entertainment media almost certainly come at the expensive of individual media product diversity; i.e. you're merely funneling more of the revenue towards an increasingly smaller and smaller pool of content creators. If such a model was to become the norm for gaming, it would potential lead to the complete end of smaller more niche games and game genres being developed.

All this is not even to mention that cloud gaming has been tried twice, and twice it has been almost universally rejected by consumers. I don't personally consider "infrastructural" problems to be the primary reason for this... but that's ok, EA, you go chase the cloud, as I'm not all that sure we'll really care if you run yourself out of business doing it.

TarNaru33

Banned
This is of course, besides the other disadvantages, the main reason to me why PSNow will fail in the end.

PSNow, will not fail if they get the price of the streaming correctly. There is nothing wrong with game streaming as a complimentary service, but it is not likely to reach the point where it is even close to majority of gaming of a console level or higher.

Even if he means bandwidth, he is incorrect. Most of U.S even in 5 years will not have the internet infrastructure/bandwidth speeds to make use of streaming games.

Latency would be the result of the physic limitation here and would make competing with other players even more unfair than it already is.

I'm fed up of this poor excuse.

Let's get his straight, it's not EA who have put that data cap on your ISP, I'm sure they along with lots of other companies would love for you not to have a terrible ISP.

This is not the same problem elsewhere in the world, and US consumers have only made it worse for themselves by putting trump in place.

People need to stop being so closed minds about what cloud gaming is, if is not purely streaming games.

It's almost as if people haven't equated that when tech companies say cloud, they are just trying to not use the somewhat fuddy duddy phrase ”internet"

This thread and this guy is talking about the possibility of switching gaming to a service rather than owning the medium through online streaming. He wasn't talking about other things that can be done with cloud gaming.

The guy you quoted isn't excusing anything, he is stating the reality of the world when it comes to internet access right now. Music and video streaming is no where near the same as gaming. Like I said to the other guy, it can be used as a complimentary service, but they shouldn't try reaching too far because technology isn't there and won't be there for even the 5 years he predicted and even then there is physic limitation that would make gaming even more unbearable.

And actually this IS a problem for most of the world, don't go thinking western parts of Europe and Eastern Asia is all of the world. Most of the world does not have the bandwidth to support it.

Xenoblade

"That infrastructure barrier is still there, but it's shrinking very rapidly"

Unless you live in Perth, in which case you will have lag forever.

Top Bottom