• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

EA exec: infrastructure barrier for cloud gaming shrinking "very rapidly"

Gotta have electricity, so toss that in. And an Internet bill to play online. Gotta add that too! Then you gotta have a house for all this, so toss in the rent as well!

Total cost of buying FIFA: $2000.
Yeah, well, maybe someone should tell him you only buy the console once every 5-6 years, and you usually don't do it for just >one< game. And you don't have to do it when it's still full price ;)
By the same logic we need to factor in the tv cost right lol
And he forgot to add the prices of the loot boxes.

He's obviously talking about new markets. People who might be really interested in a single game but don't wanna buy the console. Yeah, you can tell them the console has a lot of games they might end up liking, but they're not really interested in those. They just really would like to play that single game. It's undeniable that there's a huge casual market untapped there. A lot more people have smart TVs than consoles.

Hell, it applies to core gamers too. Like, do you all buy every console out there if there's even a single game you'd really like to play? I don't believe that you do, unless you're rich. Maybe you haven't bought a good PC despite it being guaranteed that there are lot of games that you'd enjoy? Or Xbox? Or 3DS? For example, I'd really like to play Bloodborne but I don't, because I'm not buying a PS4 - that's not due to any dislike of the system but the cost investment is just too much for it. I'm also aware that the system has plenty of other games that I'd like (that I can't play on PC), but the thing is, I'm not that interested in those games. I'd absolutely like them if I'd play them, but time is very limited so I mostly play only the games that I'm really interested in.

eXistor

Whenever this becomes the norm, I'm out. I'll focus even more on playing retro games than I do today.

But you know this'll be the standard over years and people wil gobble it up.

luckily I have "enough till pension" kind of backlog so am am fine with it

Exactly, if I never buy a new game starting today I'd still have enough to last me a lifetime.

I wouldn't want publishers owning this experience at all.

I'm fine with platform holders offering it, since 1) something like PS Now relies on a healthy console business to even be sustainable in the first place (the content is fed in from hardware-software business) and 2) I get access to hundreds of games across several publishers, not just one.

I tried the PS Now trial on PS4 and PC and came away impressed with how well it worked - I often forgot I wasn't playing the PS3 games natively. It has issues mostly with content discovery and how it's presented on PS4, but it works and I'd welcome it, but only as an option to supplement the existing market, not to replace it as EA is evidently hoping for.

People still have shitty ISPs and data caps.
Matbe this is an interesting point for the long term shape of ISP service. I wonder if service side pressure will be enough to force some ISP's to modify their service delivery to be fair functionally data capless

There needs to be a way to remove the latency. I would still think you would have to download at least part of the game so that the experience isn't diminished. I really have no interest in game streaming like they have now.

Tadpole

Not only that, haven't people said that data caps is being implemented where there were none before too?

You could just as easily have deals where EA games don't count against the cap. Some mobile carriers do this with Netflix.

Not supporting this, just pointing it out.

Mithos

You could just as easily have deals where EA games don't count against the cap. Some mobile carriers do this with Netflix.

Not supporting this, just pointing it out.

Stuff like that might be illegal in EU I think, I remember Telia getting a slap on the hand for doing this with Spotify and other social media on their cellphone subscriptions..

If this is the route gaming will go, I might never buy access to a game if it goes cloud only. My work stuff is all cloud based. When I'm working the company pays for unlimited data bandwidth, but we're not gaming or streaming, 99% of the time.

It would absolutely suck to decide that you could only afford gaming or streaming for your household. lol

I guess I would do something different for a hobby, or just play old stuff.

kahi

I think Charter is the only "big" US ISP without a data cap, and the only reason they don't have a data cap is because they are not allowed to have a data cap as part of their Time Warner buy out. With our new FCC leadership though, expect every major ISP to have datacaps very very soon.

Consoles are definitely a barrier to proper gaming. Think of a single media form that requires a box that costs $200 minimum (or a powerful enough PC) in addition to buying the content.

I'm not stoked for it but cloud gaming is definitely going to be how you lower that barrier of entry.

I think 5G data is going to be what enables this, especially when you consider google dropped the fiber initiative in favor of investing in 5G.

AmFreak

People got "brainwashed" enough to use Netflix as their main platform for movie consumption, so yes ?
Netflix isn't comparable.
All a video streaming service needs to do is to send you the data.
Meaning it needs storage and bandwidth (and a little processing power per user).
You need to have a somewhat stable connection with enough bandwidth.

In contrast a game streaming service needs the hardware to process a game (e.g. the equivalent to the console it replaces), hardware to encode the picture in "real-time" into a video stream and the storage and the bandwidth to send it to you.
You need to have a more stable connection with enough bandwidth and a certain latency to the streaming servers.
Added to all of this is the much higher cost of keeping operations running for game streaming, because it needs more room and electricity than video streaming.
With game streaming you pay for hardware you don't own.

Top Bottom