• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

EA on Wii U: "What we describe as "Gen 4" is yet to come." [Up: Full Direct Quote]

Mindlog

DICE defines generations based on when 3D came into being on consoles and EA followed.
OP, please edit your post with this information.
Before the craziness and accusations begin, I am pretty sure the way they're describing gens is different from the traditional definition of 'whatever the newest iteration of a console' is.

I think he means the distinction as the differences in a generation where you have to build new engines and such... with Wii U, you can pretty much port your PS30 engines with modifications and be done with it. To get the most out of Orbis/Durango, you're going to have to build from scratch.

For a game company, the distinction would be very real and a total different ballpark in terms of investment.
As is common in every other industry. It makes sense. The labels are used as shorthand to describe a category of related products as opposed to products that just happened to be released on certain dates.

However, that simple explanation still offends our gaming sensibilities. Use our definition or we'll get all defensive about it.

The Wii U really is in a bad situation.

There is more talk in here about what Gen numbers they are using than how the Wii U will fare with what seems to be limited EA support.
I never expected there to be any decent ea support on wii u though, especially when they announced the $60 mass effect trilogy for 360/ps3 before the year late $60 mass effect 3 came out for wii u.

I guess now it starts with PS1, either due to the advent of 3D or the advent of Sony blowing the mainstream wide open. Either way I think it's really stupid to treat it as if the prior generations don't matter, it should either be from the very start, or at least from when the NES resuscitated consoles.

Alternatively, their view is more along the lines of this: the start of games period (Atari), the start of sophisticated 2D design (PC/Nintendo), the start of sophisticated 3D design (Sega/Sony/Nintendo/PC), and the start of serious alternative controls (DS/Wii/Move/Kinect/Wii U/next consoles... though I guess that should've ALREADY started.)

So by EA using Gen4 they erased from history anything that happened before the PS1?

It's not even about getting EA to publicly say something; it's about trying to leverage your sources and get them to explain what happened ("a source within EA speaking on condition of anonymity..." etc.)
This. Why do multiple posters think the only way to get information as a journalist is to ask the PR person directly?

Hero

So this gives that whole rumor of Nintendo almost going with EA on their online network Origin for the Wii U a bit more credibility, huh? Seems like they're really bitter about it.

Amir0x

Banned
OP, please edit your post with this information.

As is common in every other industry. It makes sense. The labels are used as shorthand to describe a category of related products as opposed to products that just happened to be released on certain dates.

However, that simple explanation still offends our gaming sensibilities. Use our definition or we'll get all defensive about it.

Haha, yeah. I freely admit to being part of the curmudgeonly gaming masses in this regard, but this seems like a rather obvious explanation.

They weren't trying to say "Wii U is not next-gen" the way some fanboys are saying it, in other words.

def sim

That's still pretty retarded

It's developer reasoning, no reason to be upset about it. It's more likely related to what Amirox said.

Before the craziness and accusations begin, I am pretty sure the way they're describing gens is different from the traditional definition of 'whatever the newest iteration of a console' is.

I think he means the distinction as the differences in a generation where you have to build new engines and such... with Wii U, you can pretty much port your PS30 engines with modifications and be done with it. To get the most out of Orbis/Durango, you're going to have to build from scratch.

For a game company, the distinction would be very real and a total different ballpark in terms of investment.

It's not even about getting EA to publicly say something; it's about trying to leverage your sources and get them to explain what happened ("a source within EA speaking on condition of anonymity..." etc.)

People people have the same drive to expose gaming news to what would be obtainable for news related to the government or issues people would care about.

Why would a person risk their job to reveal information regarding EA and nintendo?

No reason.

Why would a person risk their job to expose a company that committing fraud?

No reason, but there is more moral drive on this one.

SmokyDave

Gen 1: PS1, Saturn, N64.
Gen 2: PS2, Xbox, GameCube.
Gen 2b: Wii.
Gen 3: PS3, 360.
Gen 3b: Wii-U.
Gen 4: Orbis, Durango.

The Dreamcast transcends classification. It is the alpha and the omega.

Dear Nintendo Fans

Thank you for purchasing our "Gen 3" hand me downs. Hope you continue to purchase these limited investments we have made on your system at premium prices, while we concentrate on the real "Gen 4" consoles that don't come with duct tape.

Lots of Love

EA

Wiiu owners should be grateful without EA support :p

I think the point is at least in EA's view, the Wii U is not in the same class as what they expect/know the next Sony and Microsoft consoles to be, and that's going to be true no matter how you want to define "generation." Pull it from a dictionary, wikipedia, or from wherever, and it is still irrelevant.

Yeah, it will be true.

But it will also mean that they don't know what generation means. They shouldn't use words if they don't know what they mean.

AzaK

What a bunch of babies. Unfortunately I think Orbis/Durango will be massive markets again like this generation so EA will be OK.

can't blame EA here. what drive do you have to release your games on the Wii U just to play second fiddle to whatever Mario or Zelda gets released?

i mean, with attitudes like this:

So I won't expect NHL/NFL roster updates each year with 1 or 2 amazing new improvements like "physics engine" or "stick control"

I'm not going to see Dead Space 4 , 5 and 6?

Woe is me.

yeah...

Shion

The Dreamcast transcends classification. It is the alpha and the omega.
di-YDT1.gif

People people have the same drive to expose gaming news to what would be obtainable for news related to the government or issues people would care about.

Why would a person risk their job to reveal information regarding EA and nintendo?

Same reason so many people with insider information of all kinds share it, even knowing they risk their own jobs? They gossip to friends, or they're showing off to a contact, or they're asked and pass it on without thinking about the consequences, etc. etc.

Arkam

I'm guessing Gen4 is not meant to be generation, but code for something else. As, starting with WiiU, we're in Gen8.

No it is short for generation. They use that to label consoles based on their franchise iterations. The reason Xbox was Gen2 but Xenon(360) was Gen3 was not just becasue it was a new box, but because it meant they would have to update/revamp/etc their iterative franchises like Madded, Tiger woods, Medal of honor, etc.

So you could release box 10 years from now but is relatively the same power as the nextbox/ps4 and it would be considered gen4 since it would use assets from those generations of the iterative franchises.

Thats Why Wii was considered Gen2 despite being from the same console generation as Xenon/Ps3.

?oe?oe

EA is still butthurt.

Generations aren't determined by power. It's determined by hardware releases in the market. It doesn't matter if one console is a little uglier than the other. PS2/Xbox/GCN market is different to the PS3/360/Wii market as will the PS4/720/WiiU market be different. You think with all the sales talk, people would understand that.

Dantis

Wii U is the next generation to the same extent that the Wii is a part of the current generation. In terms of times of development, yes, in terms of advancing hardware, no. Riccitello was obviously referring to the leap that the next gen will bring in terms of tech.

tkscz

No it is short for generation. They use that to label consoles based on their franchise iterations. The reason Xbox was Gen2 but Xenon(360) was Gen3 was not just becasue it was a new box, but because it meant they would have to update/revamp/etc their iterative franchises like Madded, Tiger woods, Medal of honor, etc.

So you could release box 10 years from now but is relatively the same power as the nextbox/ps4 and it would be considered gen4 since it would use assets from those generations of the iterative franchises.

Thats Why Wii was considered Gen2 despite being from the same console generation as Xenon/Ps3.

This makes EA sound incredibly lazy.

Wait just noticed. He said other next-gen consoles. So do they consider it next-gen or not?

It means that their gen classification refers to internal factors and that's how they refer to them in situations like this, but everyone with half a brain refers to generations based on whether or not the console is a successor to the system before it.

The actual important part of this quote isn't the generation thing, but rather how they avoided the question and did not say "We intend to support the system." EA and Nintendo are not at peace.

I guess now it starts with PS1, either due to the advent of 3D or the advent of Sony blowing the mainstream wide open. Either way I think it's really stupid to treat it as if the prior generations don't matter, it should either be from the very start, or at least from when the NES resuscitated consoles.

Correct me if I am wrong but didn't some SNES and Mega Drive game have 3D in some of their games, so shouldn't they start from there?

Top Bottom