• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Each Online match in Splatoon 2 barely consumes ~3% of battery

For what it's worth, I've played two hours and still have a quarter of my battery left. That's not including it in sleep mode as it downloaded the game.

FyreWulff

ITT people don't realize phones don't last much longer than the Switch if at all if you actually continously play a game on it

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
Sounds pretty solid for me - running a console level 60fps online multiplayer shooter at that level. Dont really know what type of magic people expect from Switch or batteries.

Coreda

A quick search didn't return any battery cases available yet. Depends how long one is practically using it for though.

I wonder what the average play time spent in portable mode is for most users. I'd imagine it's far less than phone usage simply due to the size and single functionality.

Where exactly is this bigger battery everyone wants gonna go?

Nintendo-Switch-Internals.jpg

WlgphtCiKGYyeuWQ.medium

Use a AC adapter or external battery pack if you want extended gaming sessions beyond whatever the Switch is internally capable of. You can buy external battery packs that give you something like 12 hours of battery life.

Nintendo should used those non existent super batteries. Shame

I mean, if Nintendo put out a device with a 4K screen packing Xbox One X-tier performance at the same size as the Switch, it would be pretty fucking impressive for them to hit like, 15 minutes, and there's no magic battery that would get it to several hours, yet despite that it would obviously be a pretty fucking bad handheld. Now, that's an absolute extreme, but obviously you can understand that while yes, when you're talking about handhelds with decent specs, there's going to be some trade-offs, and that doesn't mean the end result of those trade-offs has to be acceptable to everyone, and it's not unreasonable in the slightest to complain.

And besides, isn't it commonly accepted that if Nintendo had sprung for the next-gen Tegra chip they could have got better performance and battery life (albeit potentially at the cost of the price tag)?

They cooooooooould have made the batteries removable so players could simply swap the battery when one went flat for double the playtime. You know, like we did for literal decades with portable gaming consoles.

edit:

The ability to easily replace the PSP's battery with servicable 3rd party knock-offs is the only reason the console isn't a paperweight in 2017. I bought some Insten batteries from China and they work great. No thanks to Sony who stopped selling official batteries because they were paranoid about piracy. It's crazy to think how problematic hardware like the Switch is going to be in 20 years. Unlike a phone, people do actually assume they'll be able to play Mario Odyssey in 20 years.

Turn your phone on airplane mode and watch the battery suddenly show strength you never thought possible.

60fps online third person shooting matches on a handheld are going to eat up battery no matter what you have. And battery technology hasn't exactly made all these awesome leaps and bounds in improvements over the years the same way all of our tech has. It's moving at a much slower pace.

This sounds pretty good to me for where the tech is at, and honestly why are you away from a device with an HDMI port for that long playing online multiplayer?

Luminaire

They cooooooooould have made the batteries removable so players could simply swap the battery when one went flat for double the playtime. You know, like we did for literal decades with portable gaming consoles.

how many AAs do i need for 8 rounds of splatoon 2

Chauzu

https://www.reddit.com/r/NintendoSwitch/comments/61f8vc/splatoon_2_battery_usage/

This is from the Testfire, so granted it might be different now but it seemed to be the same in Handheld Mode for me at full brightness when playing the Japanese Splatfest. The only difference between then and now is higher limit for adaptive resolution (648p instead of 540p) and a higher tickrate, 14Hz instead of 12.5Hz.

I also remember Splatfest not taking too much battery. Playing MK8D, I can play plenty more than 90 mins as well. I don't doubt that the 90 mins here is true but I would wonder why, and if it's actually a bug.

Chinner

Banned
1. We need proper tests for splatoon 2 battery life
2. Where people honestly expecting alot?
3. I see posters have already forgotten the limits of current battery technology.

Actually I dont think its too bad, compare it to gaming notebooks that only last 1.5-2 hours while gaming.

Even Vita wasnt that great online, consumed a larger chunk then normal.

Uhm playing online dragons crown on my vita several nights a week, can play some 3-4 hours max brightness on the old OLED. The slim should double that

A Switch revision, thats what I get many years from now :)

Fat4all

Banned
2. Where people honestly expecting alot?

i would've expected it to be a bit less than Zelda, not like half as much as Zelda

Maybe OP's battery is faulty. MK8 has a higher tickrate, runs at higher resolution and has more players.

this other posters test rates it close to 3% used a match as well

I experimented something like this in the morning while in bed, played like 9 matches and ended in 74% or so.

i would've expected it to be a bit less than Zelda, not like half as much as Zelda

this other posters test rates it close to 3% used a match as well

Why would it be less than Zelda? The wi-fi is on non-stop in Splatoon 2 when playing online matches.........

lucius

That depresses me because I was expecting worse case would be Zelda drainage, 1.5 hours is not long.

battery life has never been a problem to me with switch. i have a battery pack and with a usbc cable you can just charge on the go.

i played zelda on 5-6 hour train rides without a problem.

jts

...hate me...
Sounds about expected for Switch battery life when added the constant wi-fi drain.

Sizzel

Gross. I am not a mobile gamer, nor a Switch owner yet. If this is standard or the best one can expect for mobile online gaming on the Switch due standards, cost, technology, size constraints or any number of valid reasons, than mobile online gaming sounds like it is not ready for prime time.

I get that a phone or a tablet or a laptop maybe only last similar xyz hours or this might be expected as many posters pointed out. This may be normal for online mobile gaming and nothing to flip out about, that being said. The reactions here speak volumes on the perception of this being a terrible value proposition. Can one imagine the ad campaign that says " play online with your friends for 1-2 hours!" ? It sounds bad to non mobile experienced people. All I can think of is having to get a battery pack or trying to find and out let to jack into, 3-5 hours "feels" right. Regardless of if 1.5 hours for online play is the norm...it is a fail. I could be wrong and often am, it sounds laughable to me though.

Uhm playing online dragons crown on my vita several nights a week, can play some 3-4 hours max brightness on the old OLED. The slim should double that

KZ Mercs online lasted less than two hours on OG Vita, the other hand. I'd think it varies from game to game.

Maybe OP's battery is faulty. MK8 has a higher tickrate, runs at higher resolution and has more players.

I really don't think Mario Kart 8 Deluxe has a higher tickrate than Splatoon 2

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Yes Nintendo should stop cheaping out and use those magic batteries that are available

Did the doctor order them to have a hybrid console replacing both Wii U and 3DS when they were not ready or something? They control the entire stack (platform HW, platform SW, and in this case the game), have many billions in the bank and little to no debt, and they are responsible for how it performs and when you can launch it as a product.

Customers should not be blamed if they thought Nintendo would have had to call up nVIDIA earlier and put 200-400 hundred million dollars extra to get the to develop a custom chip to deliver the same power at a much much lower power consumption. They have the money to invest more in HW and SW.

The switch battery is complete dog shit. They launched this system 1-2 years too early. Glad I skipped this game after the app fiasco. Going to offload my switch ASAP because I am sick of the shit battery life and horrible online infrastructure.

What were you expecting?

I'm not gonna sit here and defend Nintendo's incompetence in regards to online play, but anyone who expected them to get it right has themselves to blame. Buying Nintendo and expecting online to work the way you want is like pissing in the wind.

Top Bottom