• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Each Online match in Splatoon 2 barely consumes ~3% of battery

Copper

lmao

that's atrocious.

If and when the Switch XL with a bigger battery bank comes out, my OG Switch is getting traded faster than a battery dying during a Spla2oon match.

I don't think a Switch XL is happening. I mean the Switch is already pretty big. For now the solution is to just carry a battery pack.

Nintendo Switch aka you have to buy x to make it better. Really feels like it to me.

They are not even that much. And have you ever tried gaming on a phone or tablet? Battery life is not good.

Pretty sure S8 has a more taxing screen and iPhone 7 Plus a more powerful processor and GPU combo.

The S8 is also $800

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
I don't think a Switch XL is happening. I mean the Switch is already pretty big. For now the solution is to just carry a battery pack.

They are not even that much. And have you ever tried gaming on a phone or tablet? Battery life is not good.

The S8 is also $800

Not of manufacturing costs... if you think a phone like the iPhone 7/7 Plus costs Apple, to name one, anywhere close to $800 you are kidding yourself and buying into their marketing hype (which is helping them aim towards becoming a company valued $1 trillion before the end of the decade).

Did the doctor order them to have a hybrid console replacing both Wii U and 3DS when they were not ready or something? They control the entire stack (platform HW, platform SW, and in this case the game), have many billions in the bank and little to no debt, and they are responsible for how it performs and when you can launch it as a product.

Customers should not be blamed if they thought Nintendo would have had to call up nVIDIA earlier and put 200-400 hundred million dollars extra to get the to develop a custom chip to deliver the same power at a much much lower power consumption. They have the money to invest more in HW and SW.

This fella mad. Just because Nintendo has a ton of money to put out a super expensive product, doesnt mean customers could afford to buy it. You're not going to sell a Nintendo console for 400-500$ it's not going to happen.

TheJoRu

We desperately need a more thorough and reliable test of battery life from something like Digital Foundry. This thread is a travesty.

budpikmin

For those interested in playing this on the go, each match also only consumes around 20mbs of data

Edit: I should also say that it was butter smooth and lag free on a 4g connection

Depends which app doesn't it? Also, smartphones tend to run a lot more stuff in the background.

I don't really think that it does depend on the app. Even a phone like the S8 couldn't run a game like Mario Kart 8 or Splatoon 2 for quite as long as the Switch could due to thermal and battery constraints.
And smartphones are designed to have multiple apps running (or stored into ram) quietly and efficiently in the background. Lightweight apps running in the background on your phone aren't comparable to full-fat video games in terms of how they tax a device. That's been apparent for as long as even modestly taxing video games have existed on mobile platforms.

fhqwhgads

Oh good, if there was one thing I missed from the lead up to the Switch ,it was all the wild assumptions being thrown around and excuses to bash the Switch. Completely fine reasonable discussions being had.

Gotta love people who expect console online gaming on the go in a hardware that has a battery of 4000mah with an 8-player multiplayer and 60fps to last more than their average mobile game that drains their cell phone's battery in an hour.

Talking about reality checks.

Let's be clear. Battery tech is what it is, and sadly, it's very limited. And there has to be a balance between the hardware specs, battery and form factor.

For those saying the thread backfire, I really don't take into account those who just say "lol that's terrible" without arguing why or thinking about the hardware itself.

As someone has said, maybe my battery is faulty. But I don't think so. Zelda lasts the 2.5-3 hours everyone is experiencing.

Oh, and yes, for those who asked, I play at maximum brightness. Gotta love them colors.

Catvoca

Banned
I'm not sure the OP is right. I played for at least 3 hours last night (Salmon Run and turf war) without it running out of power. I've found it to be pretty decent in that regard, it definitely seems a bit better than Zelda and MK8 for battery life to me.

Teppic

We have 2017 guys, buy a 20000 or 30000Mah battery pack and you have your 8-15 hours playtime.
I have to agree. It's not a great solution, but it's the only one available. If you have a portable device you'll need a battery pack of some capacity if you want to game while traveling.

If you are home, just use the charger or play it docked. Motion controls for Splatoon isn't that good in portable mode, so you sort of have to play it docked if you want to use that control method anyway.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
This fella mad. Just because Nintendo has a ton of money to put out a super expensive product, doesnt mean customers could afford to buy it. You're not going to sell a Nintendo console for 400-500$ it's not going to happen.

I am not suggesting they should have released an expensive product to customers, but invested more in non recurring R&D costs (and eat into maybe initial profit margins a tad more). It is not the consumers’ fault of the arrogant launch of the 3DS and the following ambassador program and massive price reduction, it is not their fault the company derided the competition when they were laying the seeds for online networks for games, it is not their fault for the launch state of the Wii U or for the draught of games in the year or so preceding Wii U’s launch, and it is not their fault if Nintendo had to rush Switch out of the door.

Do they want to put the early stumbles of the 3DS and the Wii U behind them and regain their status as console leader like they used to? It is going to cost them. Not sure why the bar must be set so low for them as a company no matter the great awesome games they bring.

kiguel182

The battery is fine for casual play outside. If you want more power a power bank seems like an easy solution.

I took it out to my cousins house and I was able to play some single player, multiplayer and also three or four games of Tetris and it consumed half my battery.

Given what the system does is totally understanble.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
I don't really think that it does depend on the app. Even a phone like the S8 couldn't run a game like Mario Kart 8 or Splatoon 2 for quite as long as the Switch could due to thermal and battery constraints.
And smartphones are designed to have multiple apps running (or stored into ram) quietly and efficiently in the background. Lightweight apps running in the background on your phone aren't comparable to full-fat video games in terms of how they tax a device. That's been apparent for as long as even modestly taxing video games have existed on mobile platforms.

Sorry, but just follow the initially super mega strict background processing rules iOS laid out compared to Android (and their battery savings mode now) and the way Android is going with O about limiting background processes activity and forcing batches requests... the reality in most phones is that between applications trying to use GPS in the background, trying to refresh data in the the background (network becomes available and tons of processes wake up demanding network access), push notifications, etc... the battery drain may not be severe per app (keyword is ‘may’ here), but death by a thousand cuts seem a bit apt.

Jay Sosa

I was expecting something worse, tbh.

are you serious? You're happy with 90 minutes battery life?

In 2017?

If they want to market this as a portable console they have to fix this asap. I was planning on getting one when Odyssey comes out.. but the shitty battery is making this decision harder than it should be. I really hope they can make it somehow more efficient (kinda like some fw upgrades make your phone run longer)

are you serious? You're happy with 90 minutes battery life?

In 2017?

If they want to market this as a portable console they have to fix this asap. I was planning on getting one when Odyssey comes out.. but the shitty battery is making this decision harder than it should be. I really hope they can make it somehow more efficient (kinda like some fw upgrades make your phone run longer)

There's nothing to fix.
Sheesh, shitty battery is wrong. Just all kinds of wrong.

ggx2ac

So we have two posts saying they could use it normally and two posts saying 90 minutes, maybe those other two's batteries really are faulty.

Or it's the battery indicator like we had a thread about in the past with Kotaku.

It can happen with phones too, my phone was fully charged but it turned itself off(issue with old phone), when I turned it back on and went to use it for 5-10 minutes, it was already at 95% battery left. However, after a while the battery depletion stopped happening so fast.

My assumption is that the battery temperature affected the indicator reading, batteries last the longest around room temperature, if they are too hot or too cold their charge depletes faster.

Charging the battery increases its temperature hence why it could screw with the battery indicator.

Or it's the battery indicator like we had a thread about in the past with Kotaku.

It can happen with phones too, my phone was fully charged but it turned itself off(issue with old phone), when I turned it back on and went to use it for 5-10 minutes, it was already at 95% battery left. However, after a while the battery depletion stopped happening so fast.

My assumption is that the battery temperature affected the indicator reading, batteries last the longest around room temperature, if they are too hot or too cold their charge depletes faster.

Charging the battery increases its temperature hence why it could screw with the battery indicator.
It's my guess too.
My wife's iPhone 6S Plus can get to 1% really quick and then be on 1% for ages.
My pixel can be on 100% for a while and then just drop like A Huckabee would falling out of a plane.

Three people reporting normal battery usage now, might be the battery indicator, yeah. My phone does it all the time too.

Even still. 2 people, 3 people out of millions is not the basis for a problem.

So we have two posts saying they could use it normally and two posts saying 90 minutes, maybe those other two's batteries really are faulty.
I'm also getting 2-3 hours. Did an hour of Salmon Run (coop) and it dropped to 66% from full. Then did a few PVP matches (3) and it dropped 7% for ~10 minutes.

75% brightness, auto-brightness on. Someone else can do an accurate test.

Jay Sosa

There's nothing to fix.
Sheesh, shitty battery is wrong. Just all kinds of wrong.

My Redmi Note 4 has a 4100mah battery. And that's a fucking 4.5 inch phone..

So maybe the battery isn't shitty, but certainly not big enough. If something pisses me off it's portables with short battery life, no matter if phones, tablets, laptops or game consoles.

TheJoRu

I'm also getting 2-3 hours. Did an hour of Salmon Run (coop) and it dropped to 66% from full. Then did a few PVP matches (3) and it dropped 7% for ~10 minutes.

75% brightness, auto-brightness on. Someone else can do an accurate test.

About the same for me, and would make sense considering what's been said about the battery overall and what I've been getting in Zelda. Have not made a completely accurate test, but it's been around that level of battery drainage for me.

Would very much like someone reputable to test this out so all the kneejerk reactions/rants can stop.

Theonik

OP, you really should have finished the math on this equation. Your weird test basically says battery life doesn't last as long as Nintendo advertises.
It doesn't. BoTW kills it in 2.5hrs. Online be games will be even worse.

Oh, so Nintendo couldn't have possibly used a bigger battery cause it isn't the norm? wtf
Of course they could.
They could also have provided you with a car battery or nuclear waste to power it, but that would just be silly wouldn't it and also not fit in the design they wanted in your hands.

You could say every bloody phone should come with a 4100 battery because your phone did. But that's not how things work.
I find in situations like this I need to back out so I will.

Seik

Banned
There are many things that people can be critical on the Switch.

But Switch's battery is the best/bigger they could fit in, unless you want the Switch to be bigger or heavier. I don't think there's a successor to Lithium-Ion coming soon either.

I'd like to give a report but my battery indicator is crazy. But I can imagine why a 1080p 60fps multiplayer online game could drain the charge so much.

Chinner

Banned
Depends which app doesn’t it? Also, smartphones tend to run a lot more stuff in the background.
Agreed. A S7 or new IPhone would be able to output BOTW/Splatoon 2 at a 1080 at 60fps easily. Wouldn't be surprised if it could run for 5 hours +

Just wish someone would port it over.

darkinstinct

...lacks reading comprehension.
You guys do know this is the best battery you can possibly get while keeping the switch as is, right?

Then maybe it isn't a very well designed system? Could've gone with OLED for lower energy consumption. Or better wifi chips, because with how weak WLAN reception is on Switch a lot of data has to be send multiple times before it arrives without errors. They could've designed the Joycons for average hande sizes, so they would include bigger batteries there. As it stands, the Switch does nothing exceptionally well.

Plum

Agreed. A S7 or new IPhone would be able to output BOTW/Splatoon 2 at a 1080 at 60fps easily. Wouldn't be surprised if it could run for 5 hours +

Just wish someone would port it over.

Not sure if sarcastic or not.

I'm gonna err on the side of caution and go with the former.

Then maybe it isn't a very well designed system? Could've gone with OLED for lower energy consumption. Or better wifi chips, because with how weak WLAN reception is on Switch a lot of data has to be send multiple times before it arrives without errors. They could've designed the Joycons for average hande sizes, so they would include bigger batteries there. As it stands, the Switch does nothing exceptionally well.
All the things you are referring to have a cost, both in money and size. Remember that their goal was to sell the thing, not to make the perfect system for 400€, and the Switch is selling like crazy. I'd say it actually does some things exceptionally well, otherwise we would be seeing a Wii U situation.

Top Bottom