• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Each Online match in Splatoon 2 barely consumes ~3% of battery

are you serious? You're happy with 90 minutes battery life?

In 2017?

If they want to market this as a portable console they have to fix this asap. I was planning on getting one when Odyssey comes out.. but the shitty battery is making this decision harder than it should be. I really hope they can make it somehow more efficient (kinda like some fw upgrades make your phone run longer)

Maybe you could read what other people have said here and inform yourself a little about battery technology. There's nothing to fix.

Schnozberry

Played Splatoon for two hours this morning, and I was at 30% from an overnight charge on the dock. This 90 minute number seems overblown.

If a match of Splatoon 2 requires 3% battery to run and mocolostrocolos has 2 hours to play before his piano recital. How many matches can mocolostrocolos participate in before his showcase of Mozart's greatest hits?

Each battle cost me 3% as well on auto brightness, but they were 5 minute ranked matches. Seems closer to 3 hours (2.77 hours) than 2 (1.67 hours).

Also, it appears a lot of people here don't actually have any real concept of battery life in today's consumer electronics. A phone's screen on time averages something like 6-7 hours at best, and when playing (graphically and technically undemanding, especially compared to Breath of the Wild or Splatoon 2) games typically dips to about 2-3 hours at best. You don't have the screen on at all times so obviously it feels longer, but you can't get around that when playing a game. Advances in mobile processing (and the amount of power needed to sustain it) have vastly outstripped advances in battery tech. Just because you got like 10 hours out of your DS playing Mario Kart DS 12 years ago doesn't mean you're going to get the same amount of time out of your Switch playing Splatoon 2 since the game itself is more complex by several orders of magnitude whereas the battery tech is virtually unchanged.

The switch battery is complete dog shit. They launched this system 1-2 years too early. Glad I skipped this game after the app fiasco. Going to offload my switch ASAP because I am sick of the shit battery life and horrible online infrastructure.
Lol why would you skip it? Its an amazing game and the app isn't neccessary to play it, Plus you can always play it in docked mode if the battery is that much of an issue for you.

Theonik

The switch battery is complete dog shit. They launched this system 1-2 years too early. Glad I skipped this game after the app fiasco. Going to offload my switch ASAP because I am sick of the shit battery life and horrible online infrastructure.
It's the best they could fit in that formfactor with that chip. A future revision could improve considerably by moving to 10nm in maybe a year. But Nintendo needed to launch this now since the WiiU was basically dead. Arguably though they don't have production of the system till later in the year and virtually no games. The system wasn't ready for launch.

Facts need to be faced: Switch battery is not going to cut the mustard if you play long handheld gaming sessions. You're going to need an additional portable battery to achieve that. I bought a Ravpower one and reach 10h+ easily. Only drawback is that my bag is significantly heavier than in the 3ds days (which isn't a big deal to me as I tend to go around on bicycle).

I don't think this math checks out at all. Not saying the Switch's battery is incredible or anything, but I was able to play one online match after another in the Splatfest World Premiere for a solid two hours and 15ish minutes on a full charge before my Switch died. Max volume through headphones, motion controls on, probably around 70% brightness.

Unless Splatoon 2's online matches are somehow way more taxing on the Switch's battery than the Splatfest World Premiere, there's some wonky math going on here.

ohlawd

Oh so OP is incorrect? And people are still treating it as fact and ignoring claims to the contrary?

I am shocked I tell you.
and it's gonna be used as a talking point in future threads

man, no wonder the shitpost ratio is so high in discussions. threads that fuel them remain open

Nairume

Banned
Oh so OP is incorrect? And people are still treating it as fact and ignoring claims to the contrary?

I am shocked I tell you.
I'm sorry to tell you this Jaded Alyx, but they may be suffering from a serious condition known as "miswitchony". Symptoms include feeling compelled to tell everyone around you that some perceived shortcoming/flaw in the Nintendo Switch is actually worse than it is and fans should be hysterically criticised and mocked. There is no known cure presently, but please be comforted by the fact that they are not alone as this epidemic rages across gaming journalism and internet discussions boards in these trying times.

Sorry, but just follow the initially super mega strict background processing rules iOS laid out compared to Android (and their battery savings mode now) and the way Android is going with O about limiting background processes activity and forcing batches requests... the reality in most phones is that between applications trying to use GPS in the background, trying to refresh data in the the background (network becomes available and tons of processes wake up demanding network access), push notifications, etc... the battery drain may not be severe per app (keyword is ‘may’ here), but death by a thousand cuts seem a bit apt.

Yeah, you ain't wrong, my point is that (and you know it too) it would be disingenuous to compare a phone's expected drain to a dedicated video game console's. Switch is doing much more than your phone is at any given moment when it's in use.

are you serious? You're happy with 90 minutes battery life?

In 2017?

If they want to market this as a portable console they have to fix this asap. I was planning on getting one when Odyssey comes out.. but the shitty battery is making this decision harder than it should be. I really hope they can make it somehow more efficient (kinda like some fw upgrades make your phone run longer)

Odyssey is going to last longer than Splatoon does when you're playing Splatoon online at max brightness no matter how long Splatoon 2 actually lasts in practice, for reasons that I sincerely hope you don't need explained to you

A portable device that needs a power plug after an hour or 90 minutes is not very portable.

Yeah, this is the new line. Just as Zelda's worst-case-scenario 2.5hrs at max brightness w/wifi on somehow became the average lifespan of the Switch's battery doing anything ever, where a good number of you are concerned.

I'm sorry to tell you this OP, but you may be suffering from a serious condition known as "Switchitis". Symptoms include feeling compelled to tell everyone around you that some perceived shortcoming/flaw in the Nintendo Switch is actually a positive feature that should be praised and welcomed. There is no known cure presently, but please be comforted by the fact that you are not alone as this epidemic rages across gaming journalism and internet discussions boards in these trying times.

Thank you Doctor Flawrio.

OP pls
vasmu3wczyaz.gif

Persona7

Banned
and it's gonna be used as a talking point in future threads

man, no wonder the shitpost ratio is so high in discussions. threads that fuel them remain open

The battery life of the switch is terrible. That is a fact. I can turn wifi off and reduce the brightness and Zelda will zap the battery to zero in less than two hours and 20 minutes.

Odyssey is going to last longer than Splatoon does when you're playing Splatoon online at max brightness no matter how long Splatoon 2 actually lasts in practice, for reasons that I sincerely hope you don't need explained to you

Yeah, this is the new line. Just as Zelda's worst-case-scenario 2.5hrs at max brightness w/wifi on somehow became the average lifespan of the Switch's battery doing anything ever, where a good number of you are concerned.

Worst case scenario? My experience with zelda falls in well under that estimation. I turn off wifi and reduce the brightness and I can't even get two hours and thirty minutes out of the battery.

Spirited

Mine is pretty and pink
The battery life of the switch is terrible. That is a fact. I can turn wifi off and reduce the brightness and Zelda will zap the battery to zero in less than two hours and 20 minutes.

Got any proof? That is not the time it's "benchmarked" to perform and I don't really believe you.

Well, the compulsion to make it was in the hopes that it might make one or more people laugh, so if you actually laughed out loud then I'll consider it a successful venture.
Not out loud but I had a sensible chuckle.

Still love my Switch and evangelical about it.

ozfunghi

Maybe you could read what other people have said here and inform yourself a little about battery technology. There's nothing to fix.

There's nothing to fix the battery... but they could have gone for a different chip i guess. I didn't follow the latest tech threads before the Switch was released (back when a lot of people still thought it was an actual home console, with an AMD GPU, or when people thought the newest Tegra would be used, not the old one)... Wasn't there a possibility to go with a smaller fab node? Which would have boosted battery life considerably.

You must have a lemon, or a special edition of Zelda, because i played Zelda for over 3 hours on the plane. I guess it makes a difference whether you're doing a bunch of temples, or trying to take on enemy camps, though.

Whb29

I don't think this is accurate, I have just played an hour of turf war and it consumed just over 20% battery. That's pretty awesome.

Chauzu

Worst case scenario? My experience with zelda falls in well under that estimation. I turn off wifi and reduce the brightness and I can't even get two hours and thirty minutes out of the battery.

You should send in your Switch to Nintendo. That is not normal.

Mameshiba

Neo Member

Do you remember what you did during the gametime? The number seems quite low to me, maybe you should get your battery checked.
I once played Zelda on maximum brightness and volume ( Which is annoyingly loud) for testing purposes and ended up at 2:34, was quite surprised it was so close to Nintendos estimate. With Volume at 50% and brightness at 70% it pretty much always dies after 3 hours, 3,5 hours with minimum brightness and volume at 20%.

BNGames

I'm sorry to tell you this OP, but you may be suffering from a serious condition known as "Switchitis". Symptoms include feeling compelled to tell everyone around you that some perceived shortcoming/flaw in the Nintendo Switch is actually a positive feature that should be praised and welcomed. There is no known cure presently, but please be comforted by the fact that you are not alone as this epidemic rages across gaming journalism and internet discussions boards in these trying times.

Im saving this for later, so many bad Facebook posts defending shit like the 3rd part chat app.

OuterLimits

Not surprising. My Kindle Fire HDX drains super quick as well when playing a game like XCom Enemy Within. 2 hours max would be about what I would expect on a Switch with a game like Splatoon.

I do feel like I'm always charging devices. Kindle, phone, Switch, PS4 controller.

Top Bottom