• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Easy Allies @ E3 2017 Streaming Thread & Schedule

Why is Shenmue different? Surely it being a Kickstarter and therefore even further away from being realised would make it a more premature announcement? The comparison is even more apt in my eyes when you consider that the hype for Shenmue 3 came not from the KS reveal as a whole but from the worlds "Shenmue's story was left unfinished."

The idea that the MP4 reveal would somehow be "more informative" and "more hype" if Nintendo outsourced some twenty second teaser of Samus walking down a space station hallway (which is essentially what FFVIIr's reveal was; a more realistic Midgar and then Cloud and Barret) is just silly to me frankly and is more a justification of a base cynical reaction than anything. At the very least we know we're getting one instead of having to endure another year of waiting and hoping, as someone in the other thread said we're also very likely going to get this before FFVIIr, Death Stranding and KH3. Having a negative reaction to this is fine, but taking that reaction and using it to determine whether the reveal was "good" or not just seems, to me, to be incredibly arbitrary.

Because the Shenmue reveal needed to be premature as it was a Kickstarter...

And yes, it would be more hype if it had a outsourced CG trailer. Then we'd actually have something to speculate about. As it stands, it's great that it exists and that's about it. It's silly to you, that's fine.

What's silly to me is Nintendo's half-assed MS paint job revealing a long requested game.

FTF

Damn, checking YouTube and twitch the upload from last is only an hour and 20min :/ There's about 30min or so with Jones, but seems like they cut a lot?

I stopped watching around 9:45pm pst so I know I missed a lot and seems they didn't upload the whole thing. I really hope they upload the rest as it was amazing and such a great podcast.

Plum

Metroid Prime literally showed its title and that was it. You can see the underwhelming responses from everyone as soon as they realise there is nothing else. If FF7R and Shenmue did the same thing they would get similar responses, because while their existence is a great announcement, so little presence means said existence feels small.

FF7R had one of the best CGI trailers in recent years, with beautiful direction, clever dialogue and an ending that provided bounties of excitement. Calling frivolous seems to be a cop out to being unable to understand why certain CGI trailers are so meaningful. Look at Beyond Good and Evil 2 for instance.

CGI trailers are not shallow. They provide story, a feel for the world, an introduction to characters and their relationships....ultimately they provide a feel for the entire game (if handled well).

Shenmue 3, had the creator express his long lost love for his series on stage and countdown to its official start as well.

Exactly, this is all about prescence and "feel" which I just find to be a fool's errand in quantifying. As I said, the Shenmue 3 hype came from its name alone, not from the aftermath of the trailer, so why was the hype for that but not for this? The only difference is in feelings which are so difficult to quantify that it's a fool's errand; you can try to do it afterwards by saying that FFVIIr showed more (it didn't, we got Midgar, Cloud, Barret and an ominous tone; in MP4's reveal we got space, Samus and an ominous sci-fi tone) or that Shenmue 3 showed more (again, it didn't) but at the base level the reveal just didn't work for you, Kyle or Primethius which is fine.

The thing is, Nintendo could have waited until next year when they had some more to show but then they'd have another year of "Where's Metroid?! Just show us a logo, Nintendo! Why are you making a 3DS game instead of Switch Metroid!!!" The game's clearly in early development and they don't have much to show, but they're not stupid and knew that the fan reaction to no Metroid or Switch Pokemon (similar situation) would be even worse than the fan reaction to this reveal.

Because the Shenmue reveal needed to be premature as it was a Kickstarter...

And yes, it would be more hype if it had a outsourced CG trailer. Then we'd actually have something to speculate about. As it stands, it's great that it exists and that's about it. It's silly to you, that's fine.

What's silly to me is Nintendo's half-assed MS paint job revealing a long requested game.

Showing Samus walking down a corridor wouldn't have given us anything more to speculate on. We'd still be wondering about the devs, the look, the gameplay the engine, the story, etc; nothing would have actually changed.

As for Nintendo half-assing it, sure, but I seriously doubt we'll be here in two years time wondering where Metroid Prime 4 went with rumors of Nintendo outsourcing the game because of development hell.

EDIT: Though, as I said, this is a silly argument so I'll just leave it here.

Hasney

Damn, checking YouTube and twitch the upload from last is only an hour and 20min :/ There's about 30min or so with Jones, but seems like they cut a lot?

I stopped watching around 9:45pm pst so I know I missed a lot and seems they didn't upload the whole thing. I really hope they upload the rest as it was amazing and such a great podcast.

The podcast is separate to the impressions and likely will take a while to upload due to the length.

Exactly, this is all about prescence and "feel" which I just find to be a fool's errand in quantifying. As I said, the Shenmue 3 hype came from its name alone, not from the aftermath of the trailer, so why was the hype for that but not for this? The only difference is in feelings which are so difficult to quantify that it's a fool's errand; you can try to do it afterwards by saying that FFVIIr showed more (it didn't, we got Midgar, Cloud, Barret and an ominous tone; in MP4's reveal we got space, Samus and an ominous sci-fi tone) or that Shenmue 3 showed more (again, it didn't) but at the base level the reveal just didn't work for you, Kyle or Primethius which is fine.

The thing is, Nintendo could have waited until next year when they had some more to show but then they'd have another year of "Where's Metroid?! Just show us a logo, Nintendo! Why are you making a 3DS game instead of Switch Metroid!!!" The game's clearly in early development and they don't have much to show, but they're not stupid and knew that the fan reaction to no Metroid or Switch Pokemon (similar situation) would be even worse than the fan reaction to this reveal.

Shenmue 3 to be fair is a far bigger deal due to it not being a first party game, and the creator not having a team at that point in time, but the point is still the same: if it was just a title screen with petals, you would never see the reactions be as significant.

Instead they had a short doc with the creators ambitions, teases of gameplay and a launch of the kickstarter.

FF7R was never about showing new things but highlighting the old things in a new light, something the trailer and voice over did perfectly.

I'm sorry, even with feelings aside, there is no way one can say a 10 second title screen would get the same reaction as a 2 min narrated CGI trailer or 2 min reveal with gameplay, dev talk and the creator coming out on stage.

Plum

Shenmue 3 to be fair is a far bigger deal due to it not being a first party game, and the creator not having a team at that point in time, but the point is still the same: if it was just a title screen with petals, you would never see the reactions be as significant.

Instead they had a short doc with the creators ambitions, teases of gameplay and a launch of the kickstarter.

FF7R was never about showing new things but highlighting the old things in a new light, something the trailer and voice over did perfectly.

I'm sorry, even with feelings aside, there is no way one can say a 10 second title screen would get the same reaction as a 2 min narrated CGI trailer or 2 min reveal with gameplay, dev talk and the creator coming out on stage.

I'm saying the reaction for Shenmue was for the namedrop itself and not the trailer. They practically ignored most of the trailer afterwards because they were so hyped. If the reaction was entirely based on it being a 2 minute 'preview' then Kyle and the gang would have been subdued until the end, but they weren't, instead they were like this:

hqdefault.jpg

They didn't know what it would look like or how Sakaguchi is directing, they got a title and a sound-cue which is exactly the same thing we saw yesterday.

EDIT: They did know it was a Kickstarter, but I seriously doubt that factored much into the reaction anyway.

Essentially, trying to argue as to why Nintendo revealing Metroid Prime 4 in such a way as being altogether "bad" is, as I have said, a fool's errand. For every person like Kyle you get someone like Arlo or EWNetwork who loved it. Some people are fine with a namedrop, some people aren't, I just find it weird to show so much negativity around such a long-awaited announcement because "the reveal wasn't great."

Budi

For the Metroid announcement, it was good that they did it. There's been so much murmuring about proper Metroid that just telling it's in developement makes a lot of people happy. But yes, it didn't have much substance or details. But it didn't take a lot of time either to announce it, it didn't negatively affect the direct. The mistake was not having the 3DS Metroid in the direct to go alongside with Prime.

jett

D-Member
For every person like Kyle you get someone like Arlo or EWNetwork who loved it. Some people are fine with a namedrop, some people aren't, I just find it weird to show so much negativity around such a long-awaited announcement because "the reveal wasn't great."

What a fake-ass mofo. Didn't recognize the music or the logo.

That live podcast last night was the most jolly broadcast I've watched in a long time. I will be making a lot more effort to tune in as much as I can in the future.

I'm saying the reaction for Shenmue was for the namedrop itself and not the trailer. They practically ignored most of the trailer afterwards because they were so hyped.

To be fair, We all knew a Metroid would get made by Nintendo eventually.

Shenmue 3 on the other hand was in the same category as Half Life 3 at that point in time.

Also, unlike Shenmue, Nintendo has burned us with Metroid with Other M & Federation Force on top of the long ass wait.
The logo reveal was great, but after the long ass wait, they needed to show more to gain good will from Federation Force and canceling AR2.
They eventually did with Samus Returns, but that announcement/reveal came an hour late.

Is there going to be a TTE episode today?

I'm saying the reaction for Shenmue was for the namedrop itself and not the trailer.

And like I said, Shenmue 3 was a far bigger deal simply because of the circumstances around it: nearly 15 years since the last Shenmue game, creator is freelance and there is no team.

The trailer just made things that much better

They practically ignored most of the trailer afterwards because they were so hyped. If the reaction was entirely based on it being a 2 minute 'preview' then Kyle and the gang would have been subdued until the end, but they weren't, instead they were like this:

No they did not. The reaction was even more emotional as we saw bits of gameplay and the creator come on stage on launch it.

Essentially, trying to argue as to why Nintendo revealing Metroid Prime 4 in such a way as being altogether "bad" is, as I have said, a fool's errand. For every person like Kyle you get someone like Arlo or EWNetwork who loved it. Some people are fine with a namedrop, some people aren't, I just find it weird to show so much negativity around such a long-awaited announcement because "the reveal wasn't great."

Not at all. Its pretty evident that Shenmue 3 and FF7R reveals were far more successful, as the positivity was so high, while Metroid's lack of substance hurt its impact.

BGE2 would of been a dry announcement as well if it was not for the CG trailer and creator coming on stage to talk about it.

Hasney

Yeah, Friend Code is usually tighter and will probably mostly talk Mario impressions as people will have played it, then we get into the full impressions list probably for longer. And we get a new Huber Yakuza story!

Dmax3901

The difference between Shenmue is that Metroid hasn't been completely absent, there just hasn't been a good/mainline one for nearly a decade. Hell, I still have concerns Prime 4 won't actually be good, concerns that probably won't disappear til I see a trailer. Shenmue was far less likely to even exist, Metroid was always likely to continue just not in the way the hardcore fans would like. That's why it's not as big an announcement.

Tsosie

Yeah, Friend Code is usually tighter and will probably mostly talk Mario impressions as people will have played it, then we get into the full impressions list probably for longer. And we get a new Huber Yakuza story!

I do not think tonight's Friend Code is going to be structured that way.

Praying they can keep the podcast two hours or less today. If not there's going to be a big backlog of stuff they didn't discuss, and by the end of the week it won't be fresh anymore.

crash-14

There was no need to announce on the direct the pokemon game and Metroid if they didn't have anything substancial.

Look what Beyond Good and Evil did, something that was missing for 15 years. They posted on facebook it was in development, then they made a big reveal with that CG trailer showing what's the direction the game goes.

Same goes for God of War. The development of the new installment was announced during a PSX panel, but it wasn't revealed until last E3.

Even Borderlands 3 has taken the same route.

With Metroid they could have put the 2d game in the direct and then the logo at the end.

But what ever, it's coming. That's what matters now.

P.S: If Metroid comes out before 2019 I'll be doubtful about hitting the standards a 2019 game should have. No way Zelda took +4 years to develop and they can do what Metroid Prime deserves in 2 and a half.

I don't have a huge problem with the Prime 4 reveal, and tbh I'm not sure it's all that different than a CG reveal trailer. BG&E2 got everyone excited, but the fact is that they needed a sweet trailer, because it wouldn't have be credible for ubi to flash the logo and say 'please be excited'. Nintendo hasn't been yanking us around with Prime 4, so they *can* just show the logo and say 'trust us, we're good for it'. And we can... because they are.

Both the Pokemon and Metroid announcements during the spotlight were necessary. The Pokemon one was clearly done very close to after the Direct due to the negative feedback they received online about it, and there is NO WAY people would get excited about a Metroid 2 remake after both AM2R came out and was C&D by Nintendo and it being on the 3DS when the Switch just released. If they stuck that in the Spotlight, people would of been way more mad unless you lead with Metroid Prime 4 in development then go directly into the that trailer.

KingBroly

Banned
Even though I love the reactions to Prime 4 being announced...

I'd have loved an initial trailer to do it first instead of a logo and old music.

I get WHY they did it, because Metroid 2 remake is there, for 3DS, out of the Spotlight, would've been the Final Nail for most people.

But the impact of seeing Metroid Prime 4 gameplay for the first time will be diminished somewhat.

Top Bottom