• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Edge #304 - The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild special

MoonFrog

The bigger crime in all this is that Goldeneye, Resident Evil 4 and Metroid Prime were more than deserving of receiving a 10 but didn't get one *shakes fist*.
Yeah. When did Edge start? 93 I thought I saw. Super Metroid robbed, if so. Chrono Trigger too.

As another example, Fire Emblem Awakening is the model of a review-friendly game: accessible, lively, content-rich, full of interface refinements in a clean and tidy presentation, challenging to the average-to-semi-serious player who has never heard of Serenes Forest. And the many reasons that it's... a sensitive subject in hardcore Fire Emblem circles today—imbalance of the pairing system, same-turn reinforcements, lack of diversity in map mechanics, trivialization of certain mechanics via breeding Galeforce into every child, a certain resentment towards the change in tone of the storytelling compared to previous games—are not the kind of thing that would ever make it into a release-day mass-market review. The lesson that a Fire Emblem die-hard takes away from this, whether they like Awakening or not: never read reviews.
I know this is a throw-away example...but Awakening makes my blood boil, so I'll let off a little steam...

Doesn't help that most people in the press seem to be like most people on GAF and to not have played FE before Awakening and have no reference point to what is so god awful about that game. New Fire Emblem makes my skin crawl like nothing else, but I dodged the Other M bullet, so that could be why. Conquest had good gameplay and at least, I think, it got more backlashes about how dumbed down its story and world was, in line with Awakening. And at least the next entry is billed as a "return to consoles," so hopefully they get some story/world/character ambitions again. Sucks that they wasted the premise of Conquest and its gameplay on such aggravatingly bad characters/world/story. Could have been the best thing to the lord character since Ike.

jmizzal

Gameplay wise Skyward Sword is 10/10 imo. A lot of super cool mechanics and the way they handled motion controls was flawless. But it wasn't a 10/10 Zelda.

This
but so many people didnt like motion controllers a dismissed it, I thought it was one of the most fun Zelda games

I always expect some kind of backlash in response to a Zelda game. that's as much of a staple of the series as anything else.

Yea my hype has died down since dungeons are my favorite part of the series. I think it will be great, but I wish they were sprawling with the number of them. Even if they were not traditional.

Gotta correct you, Twilight princess has the worst opening. Skyward sword might take longer, but at least it has charm and you like the characters you meet. Twilight Princess's opening is a full slog until you meet Midna.

Yeah, there's bits of Twilight Princess' opening that I love, like when you first become the wolf and going through Hyrule Castle in the Twilight realm, but I thought Skyward's opening was very fitting being that chronologically it's the very beginning of the story so I was okay with it being long. It had better characters and story/cutscene direction I felt, and I loved the mystery behind it all, Link's dreams and whatnot. It had that feeling that something big was about to happen.

I didn't really care about much going on in Twilight Princess' opening in the village and with the kids and stuff, so that didn't really help. I guess the difference is that I liked what was going on at the beginning of Skyward but was less interested in Twilight Princess' opening.

Nope, that belongs to MM

Eh nothing really happened in Majora that interested me, I much preferred the actual lore and story in Skyward but I'm a bigger fan of the Link/Zelda story than Link in spinoff lands.

Very rarely impressive, most of the time the game looked washed out and dull.

I attribute this to it being on Wii and being sub HD. The art style is incredible and not at all dull, but it did look washed out especially playing on an HDTV.

If Skyward Sword got a remaster it would look something like this:

13a7bhc.jpg

19mslv6.jpg

22bslds.jpg

4gazou.jpg

Absolutely gorgeous game held back by hardware.

Caelus

Yea my hype has died down since dungeons are my favorite part of the series. I think it will be great, but I wish they were sprawling with the number of them. Even if they were not traditional.

The reactions to them will be interesting. Some previewers have stated that they didn't get to the first dungeon til they were 20-25 hours in, but also that they were occupied with the overworld, towns, sidequests etc. This seems like a departure from past games where what compelled you was going from dungeon to dungeon.

Forkball

Skyward Sword
+Music
+Dungeons
+Items
+Puzzles
+Character designs

-Repeated elements (bosses, gameplay sequences, revisiting same places)
-Limited exploration
-Silent realms

-Limited exploration

I don't see how. The game was big and there was a lot to it. There was plenty of exploration. It introduced each new area in a linear fashion, but it has no less exploration than any other installment.

-Silent realms

Thought these were atmospheric and fun. I liked the design of them, the panicked nature and the brief change of pace that they provided. But that's gonna be subjective so to each his own.

My only real issues with Skyward were the item notifications that would repeat, you'd have to read through item descriptions many times even though you already have and know what it is, and Fi does pop up too much. But those were minor quibbles for me in the grand scheme. Luckily Breath of the Wild doesn't seem to have such minor annoyances.

Chindogg

Gameplay wise Skyward Sword is 10/10 imo. A lot of super cool mechanics and the way they handled motion controls was flawless. But it wasn't a 10/10 Zelda.

It had some of the best gameplay and by far the most fleshed out story of any Zelda at the time. Definitely a 10/10 Zelda.

Have I been playing the same Zelda dungeons as everyone else? Lots of dungeons I've played in Zelda (with a few exceptions in each game) have been either too short or too repetitive for my tastes. I'm excited to have lots more puzzle solving scenarios scattered about as shrines, and if the traditional dungeons that do exist are thematically satisfying and have cool bosses, that's pretty much all I care about.

When I think of dungeons in Zelda games, I really just think of some standouts. If they managed to make the dungeons in BotW all as satisfying as my select favorite dungeons from other Zelda titles, then I have no problems.

It had some of the best gameplay and by far the most fleshed out story of any Zelda at the time. Definitely a 10/10 Zelda.

I guess for me as a longtime fan, the establishing nature of the game, how you see how so many tropes of the series came to be, was far more satisfactory than the story in any of the others. It did so many brilliant things like with the
Deku Tree for example and explained the reincarnation (for lack of a better term) of Link, Zelda and Ganon and why they're forever destined in different generations to play those roles

That stuff was just awesome to me.

Have I been playing the same Zelda dungeons as everyone else? Lots of dungeons I've played in Zelda (with a few exceptions in each game) have been either too short or too repetitive for my tastes. I'm excited to have lots more puzzle solving scenarios, and if the dungeons that do exist are thematically satisfying and have cool bosses, that's pretty much all I care about.

When I think of dungeons in Zelda games, I really just think of some standouts. If they managed to make the dungeons in BotW all as satisfying as my select favorite dungeons from other Zelda titles, then I have no problems.

I wish we had a comparison of length because I'm imagining there like deku tree or jabu size and shorter than anything in twilight. If they are amazing each then maybe it won't sting too bad :)

wmlk

Have I been playing the same Zelda dungeons as everyone else? Lots of dungeons I've played in Zelda (with a few exceptions in each game) have been either too short or too repetitive for my tastes. I'm excited to have lots more puzzle solving scenarios scattered about as shrines, and if the traditional dungeons that do exist are thematically satisfying and have cool bosses, that's pretty much all I care about.

I've always found the dungeons on handheld games very short. Mostly because upon entering the room there's a view of where I need to go what I should do almost immediately. So yeah, it would be surprising to me if dungeons in a console Zelda game were short or if the whole experience wasn't memorable.

I feel somewhat similar. My favorite Zelda games often have the weakest dungeons (Majora's Mask, Wind Waker). I do enjoy the dungeons very much, especially compared to dungeons of other games, but I find most of my enjoyment coming from what I do between the dungeons. I honestly hardly remember a lot of the dungeons I've played other than a few standouts, as you said.

I don't think we know enough about the dungeons in this game either way as nobody has talked about them. Which I personally find... well, not frustrating, but I would like any potential concerns to be eased. Like if some impressions came and said yeah the dungeons are great with awesome puzzles I'd be like, alright cool. I don't really want anything spoiled exactly, but I would like some reassurance. It's one of the very few things that I'm potentially concerned about as it would be a major bummer for me if the dungeons didn't deliver. I don't need like 12 dungeons or something but I would like more than say Majora's Mask and not super weak ones like Wind Waker's.

That from the mag itself?
10 seems a little generous in that case but eh...they did give SS a 10.

Read the first two words of the post again :p

I'd advise anyone sounding off about their Skyward Sword score to dig out the text of the review. You may or may not agree, but they argue their case compellingly enough that you can't really quibble with it.

Yeah, there's bits of Twilight Princess' opening that I love, like when you first become the wolf and going through Hyrule Castle in the Twilight realm, but I thought Skyward's opening was very fitting being that chronologically it's the very beginning of the story so I was okay with it being long. It had better characters and story/cutscene direction I felt, and I loved the mystery behind it all, Link's dreams and whatnot. It had that feeling that something big was about to happen.

I didn't really care about much going on in Twilight Princess' opening in the village and with the kids and stuff, so that didn't really help. I guess the difference is that I liked what was going on at the beginning of Skyward but was less interested in Twilight Princess' opening.

Eh nothing really happened in Majora that interested me, I much preferred the actual lore and story in Skyward but I'm a bigger fan of the Link/Zelda story than Link in spinoff lands.

I attribute this to it being on Wii and being sub HD. The art style is incredible and not at all dull, but it did look washed out especially playing on an HDTV.

If Skyward Sword got a remaster it would look something like this:

Absolutely gorgeous game held back by hardware.

Yeah, I've always enjoyed the painterly look that Skyward Sword has going for it. It's a treat on Dolphin.

Porcile

I'll take care of those for ya

Goldeneye - 5
Resident Evil 4 - 9.5
Metroid Prime - 10 GOAT

ur2edgy4EDGE.

Goldeneye was a great achievement and packed with ridiculous amounts of content and replayability for a console shooter, or any shooter for that matter.

Whats this about dungeons. My fears coming true. :(

If you want 8+ dungeons that take 2+ hours to finish, then yes, lower your expectations for that aspect of the game now. Doesn't mean the dungeons in this game aren't great, but they appear to be very different.

However, you said in another thread you want lots of
populated towns with lots of stuff to do in them
....and it appears you're going to be very, very happy in that regard.

Tuck

Yeah its a fear coming true unfortunately. I wasn't too bummed about there only being five or six, but if they're small, thats a shame.

Sounds like the rest of the game makes up for it though, but we'll see. I know a lot of people in this thread are jumping on the runaway hype train, as is tradition on GAF, but I'm taking a more cautiously optimistic response, especially because open world games aren't usually my thing.

The game looks good, really good. But I'll leave it to myself to decide if its great.

Caelus

There's definitely going to be a backlash to this aspect of the game.

I doubt it will be a problem considering the nature of the overworld and how some areas are dungeon-like. Past Zelda games relied on the dungeons to push the narrative and gameplay forward and were focal points of item usage.

In this game, you get key items early and can use them pretty much anywhere, which means the entire overworld is open to puzzle solving and labyrinthine areas.

Based on what I've read of the review, they've struck a good balance. Regardless, there will be complaints about this. I still think the total amount will be 5 or 6.

MoonFrog

Yeah. Think it was pretty clear they were going to come true ever since they started talking/showing much about the game and their design direction. Game was never going to be what I think I want; the reaction to SS was too "I don't want a game like this at all" from too many corners for it to be a SS, TP follow-up.

That's even how Aonuma frames it, as starting from a point of external and internal critique that Zelda had lost its sense of exploration.

This is the exploration heavy, non-linear, harder Zelda a large chunk of the audience has been clamoring for for a long time. Nintendo seems to have done a good job of making their mark on open world gaming. They've taken that direction for the series and run with it.

We're in a case of "I hope that I appreciate what they did do, that don't miss too much what I wanted since 2013-2014 or so, and that despite my fears and anxieties, this, in its own way, satisfies my Zelda lust," as I see it.

I think it is a safe bet the game is going to be great. I just hope that it lives up to what I play Zelda for, despite my doubts, or that it rises above my doubts and pushes a new vision of Zelda on to me.

Because frankly, if it is a good game but not a good Zelda in my eye, I'm going to be quite disappointed.

This is not OoT of time. Get over the dungeon stuff. I love everything I hear about this game and all the changes. There are over 100 shrines and I'm going to find all of them and solve all the puzzles in them.

I don't think the new dungeon format is gonna affect the score much. In previous Zelda games, spent the 1st half of the dungeon searching for that one "Item"you need.

Since the game is open in every way possible. You don't really need a said item so In a way it's cuts the dungeon a bit. They could've made it longer, but perhaps that would've just made it drag.

People are tired of the same dungeon formula of get to dungeon and find only weapon(s) to use for dungeon. This was a changed that was needed and it's opened up. If it wasn't a good change it would not be getting praise from all these reviewers.

I don't think the new dungeon format is gonna affect the score much. In previous Zelda games, spent the 1st half of the dungeon searching for that one "Item"you need.

Since the game is open in every way possible. You don't really need a said item so In a way it's cuts the dungeon a bit. They could've made it longer, but perhaps that would've just made it drag.

ramparter

Banned
Skyward Sword
+Music
+Dungeons
+Items
+Puzzles
+Character designs

-Repeated elements (bosses, gameplay sequences, revisiting same places)
-Limited exploration
-Silent realms
- Too much hand holding on first hours made me wanna go to Nintendo HQ and slap whoever responsible.

LotusHD

Banned
Now that I think about it, I never particularly cared about the amount of dungeons in a Zelda game. But all the same, I've associated more dungeons as meaning more time you get to spend playing the game, and more opportunities to go through the story beats and what not. Where basically, you go the dungeons in previous entries, and not much else. But if there's less than usual, that seems completely fine for me personally because of the enormous world having an insane amount of stuff to do, which of course includes the shrines. Ultimately I find it hard to complain about, unless you absolutely crave dungeons over everything else when it comes to a Zelda game.

This is not OoT of time. Get over the dungeon stuff. I love everything I hear about this game and all the changes. There are over 100 shrines and I'm going to find all of them and solve all the puzzles in them.

While I completely agree with you, I also think it's fair for people who love the traditional 3D Zelda formula to be disappointed. What I'm hoping is those same people will be open to this game and give it a chance, regardless. Nintendo may end up surprising them.

watershed

Banned
I don't think we can predict the post-mortem critiques of BOTW until after we've played it. Usually whatever 2nd take consensus/backlash emerges is in contrast to reviews and we don't even have those yet.

While I completely agree with you, I also think it's fair for people who love the traditional Zelda formula to be disappointed. What I'm hoping is those same people will be open to this game and give it a chance, regardless. Nintendo may end up surprising them.

It's fine to be disappointed if you're expecting the same Zelda formula, but Aonuma kinda said it was going to change 4 years ago. I think when those who are disappointed play this game they'll say "man why was I disappointed?!? This is Zelda! It's an amazing game even with the formula changing".

Caelus

While I completely agree with you, I also think it's fair for people who love the traditional 3D Zelda formula to be disappointed. What I'm hoping is those same people will be open to this game and give it a chance, regardless. Nintendo may end up surprising them.

At this point, the difference between a dungeon and a 'dungeon-like' area of the game seems to be whether or not it's in an enclosed space, if it has a dedicated separate map and if there's a major boss battle. Otherwise there isn't much distinction between a dungeon and a section of the overworld with powerful enemies and challenging puzzles.

At this point, the difference between a dungeon and a 'dungeon-like' area of the game seems to be whether or not it's in an enclosed space, if it has a dedicated separate map and if there's a major boss battle. Otherwise there isn't much distinction between a dungeon and a section of the overworld with powerful enemies and challenging puzzles.

For sure. Knowing this game has The Witness-style environmental puzzles in the overworld is incredibly exciting.

MM only had 4 dungeons, and we all know how that game turned out. The number is arbitrary; it's what is within them that counts. Also, 100+ shrines in the game which are basically miniature dungeons. If each one takes an average of 3 minutes to complete, that's over 300 minutes (5 hours) of gameplay. More than enough puzzle solving.

MoonFrog

I never particularly cared about the amount of dungeons in a Zelda game. But all the same, I've associated more dungeons as meaning more time you get to spend playing the game, and more opportunities to go through the story beats and what not. But if there's less than usual, that seems completely fine for me personally because of the enormous world having an insane amount of stuff to do, which of course includes the shrines.
It's not so much the amount itself.

It is a) dungeons are said to be shorter, b) there is more overworld to dungeon content in the game balance than before, c) there is a new item/gadget and puzzle approach, d) there are many shrines, but to many of us those are an unknown quantity as to how we'll like the bite-sized approach, e) it is also unclear how much the overworld play will make up for the lower balance of dungeons.

C, D, and E are the central questions to me. And I'm only going to be able to answer when I play it. And I care a lot. So I am anxious. There are good reports but they aren't conclusive to me.

It is a) dungeons are said to be shorter, b) there is more overworld to dungeon content in the game balance than before, c) there is a new item/gadget and puzzle approach, d) there are many shrines, but to many of us those are an unknown quantity as to how we'll like the bite-sized approach, e) it is also unclear how much the overworld play will make up for the lower balance of dungeons.

C, D, and E are the central questions to me.

Question: what are you feelings on Majora's Mask? The game had great, lengthy dungeons, but there were only four of them and made up a small portion of the game.

wmlk

I really don't see how the open world is like a big dungeon or gives a similar impression. From everything I've seen, it's fairly straight forward to get to where you want with the difference being some enemy encounters.

Edge thought the dungeons were extremely well made though and they seem to reflect why the dungeons in Zelda are good. It seems the only reason to complain is the amount and even then the kind of dungeon that Edge describes seems to be of an amount similar to other Zelda games. While the shrines handle the others kinds of dungeon.

Caelus

It is a) dungeons are said to be shorter, b) there is more overworld to dungeon content in the game balance than before

The review talked about 'build-ups' to dungeons, which I assume are story based missions related to the different Hylian tribes and are probably going to be as long as the dungeons themselves. We've had build ups to dungeons in past Zeldas before but it seems they're extending that approach since the overworld can have just as much physics-based puzzles as a dungeon.

Again, it's a fine criticism to air if one is very particular about what constitutes a proper dungeon experience, but it's fair to say they've chosen to break from that formula.

I really don't see how the open world is like a big dungeon or gives a similar impression. From everything I've seen, it's fairly straight forward to get to where you want with the difference being some enemy encounters.

There are more story-heavy areas in the game related to the dungeons which are under embargo along with villages.

MM only had 4 dungeons, and we all know how that game turned out. The number is arbitrary; it's what is within them that counts. Also, 100+ shrines in the game which are basically miniature dungeons. If each one takes an average of 3 minutes to complete, that's over 300 minutes (5 hours) of gameplay. More than enough puzzle solving.

To be fair, those dungeons were large and complex. It's a masterclass in dungeon design.

Top Bottom