• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Edge cover revealed: Bloodborne, the verdict (review available tomorrow)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ratrat

Well, it is a somewhat niche Japanese game, so you never know..........

No its not. Demons Souls was Gamespots Game of the Year and Dark Souls 2 is the highest rated and best selling of the games in spite of being the worst.
Hell, its more likely to get overrated than under.

Jomjom

Banned
What Did Edge's review say though?

Yeah I know, maybe I'm not being fair to Edge, but it's not like Edge is one guy and it's not like any one game outlet is always consistent. We'll see soon enough I guess.

Just a bit tired of how negative it seems the majority of reviewers are for Sony exclusives when I've quite enjoyed many of the games that get middling scores.

King_Moc

Banned
Yeah I know, maybe I'm not being fair to Edge, but it's not like Edge is one guy and it's not like any one game outlet is always consistent. We'll see soon enough I guess.

Just a bit tired of how negative it seems the majority of reviewers are for Sony exclusives when I've quite enjoyed many of the games that get middling scores.

As a PS4 owner, I'd say the AAA stuff has been reviewed pretty accurately. Stuff like Driveclub and Infamous are good games, but certainly not great. Knack and The Order pretty much got as they deserved imo. I actually think Killzone got overrated. It's probably worth bearing in mind that most reviewer's seem to have changed their review scale in recent years as well. The 7 = awful, 10 = great scale seems to be a thing of the past at many sites.

Incoming 10/10.

I do like Edge, being a print news outlet (and one that usually focuses on quality rather than cheaply rushing out crap) they don't have to fuck about with "Click bait" and usually have actually interesting content. I also don't think I've ever disagreed with any of their reviews really (beyond The Order, the game was at least a 6.5/10). From what I remember, they judge games on what they are, rather than what they aren't. Might have to look at picking up that issue when it's out.

BigTnaples

Todd Howard's Secret GAF Account
Joke? The Order is pretty mediocre and Edge are usually pretty harsh with their reviews.

With all the Order threads lately and the posts in them, I really can't tell if this is sarcasm.

I realize that reviews are somewhat subjective, and The Order is not going to win anyone's (including my) GoTY award. But it's not a 3/10 game. Period. Not even close.

The reviewer would/will lose all credibility by stating it is. Just as if they called Ocarina of time 6.0 game, or Halo CE a 4.0.

It just isn't within the "margin of opinion".

I realize that reviews are somewhat subjective, and The Order is not going to win anyone's (including my) GoTY award. But it's not a 3/10 game. Period. Not even close.

The reviewer would/will lose all credibility by stating it is. Just as if they called Ocarina of time 6.0 game, or Halo CE a 4.0.

You don't know anything about what subjective is if you think a reviewer would lose cred by giving the Order a 3/10.

scoobs

That is one gorgeous magazine cover. I'd imagine if they dedicated a cover to it, and made a big deal about the review, its probably pretty positive.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Dunno, but verdict sounds clearly indicative of a review and a final score.
Yep. Likely an exclusive early review. Has Edge ever done one of those before? Usually those are reserved for the more hyperbolic publications and I haven't seen one in a while.

What does the team has to do with the score? If the game is good, it will get a good score. And Dark Souls II was good.

When you say B-team do you say this as if to say "the less talented developers"? I doubt very much they'd refer to them as the "B-team" and it comes off as insulting to see this rhetoric put forward regularly as if Dark Souls 2 was some shameful production.

Why don't you just refer to them as the DS team, or BB teams? Let them stand on their own merits, not artificial, arbitrary ones such as A/B.

Nonono, don't misunderstand me. I don't mean to say Dark Souls II wasn't a great game. But it seems Bloodborne is receiving more attention from From. My point was that since Dark Souls II was a great game, Bloodborne being developped by their mean team (I think ?) means it has chances to be at least as good if not better. Poor wording on my side I recognize.

King_Moc

Banned
Yep. Likely an exclusive early review. Has Edge ever done one of those before? Usually those are reserved for the more hyperbolic publications and I haven't seen one in a while.

Bloodborne is precisely the type of game that has more to gain by having a good review from Edge, than a good review from IGN.

robotrock

Banned
if the game sucked i doubt their cover art would be bloodborne related

since it is though i bet they like it, just like the other souls games

Tillbo

Got the magazine, and there is no 'review' nope. That is in next months issue apparently...

"With 40 hours' play in the bank, and standing it against FromSoftware's formidable back catalogue, we can make a clear call on Bloodborne's quality and present our verdict. You'll have to wait until issue 279 for some words with a digit on the end, but if the purpose of the review is to provide a recommendation - or otherwise - then out cover story should hit the mark."

Protome

You're wrong here, sorry.
Different people have different opinions. A review is a portrayal and explanation of that opinion. It's not "Somewhat subjective", some bizzarro "margin of opinion" is irrelevant.

I don't personally agree with a review score that low but if the review itself backs it up, who cares. Arguments like your post here are exactly why review scores need to go away.

Amused

Got the magazine, and there is no 'review' nope. That is in next months issue apparently...

"With 40 hours' play in the bank, and standing it against FromSoftware's formidable back catalogue, we can make a clear call on Bloodborne's quality and present our verdict. You'll have to wait until issue 279 for some words with a digit on the end, but if the purpose of the review is to provide a recommendation - or otherwise - then out cover story should hit the mark."

Peter_griffen,_go_on_meme..jpg

Is this fo' real real? That's some shameful shit. Edge magazine: redefining words because FUCK YOU CLICK ME

Pepin

'Verdict' doesn't = 'review', if it was a review, surely they'd just come right out and say it? For the timing of the mag, it'd be a world exclusive. That's something you'd shout about on your cover, right? This is playful semantics.

Neff

Yep. There's no way they'd have given it the cover spot if they weren't all over it.

Also the pre-emptive, blow-softening assumptions that this game will get low scores is quite the darlingest.

Pretty much every PS retail exclusive has rated below or at average, with the one exception of Naughty Dog games. I don't see that changing. For whatever reason reviewer's tastes just don't match with Sony's tastes on the games they decide to fund.

The majority of Sony's first party games receive middling scores in the press because they're bland, not simply because they're from Sony. There are still non-ND Sony exclusives that review well (GoW, Heavy Rain, GT), and Demon's Souls was one of them. From titles are a clear step above the likes of Shadow Fall/Knack/Second Son/The Order etc. I wouldn't worry.

Spineker

Banned

Someone turn on the Bishlight

Danielsan

40 hours of play in the bank. Looks like Blooborne will be another huge FromSoftware game.

Incoming 10/10.

I do like Edge, being a print news outlet (and one that usually focuses on quality rather than cheaply rushing out crap) they don't have to fuck about with "Click bait" and usually have actually interesting content. I also don't think I've ever disagreed with any of their reviews really (beyond The Order, the game was at least a 6.5/10). From what I remember, they judge games on what they are, rather than what they aren't. Might have to look at picking up that issue when it's out.

EDGE doesn't resort to click bait garbage?

What EDGE have you been reading the past four years?

Wait Im confused will there be a review in tomorrows issue or do we have to wait till next month for the actual number and shit?

Then whats to tomorrow?

Pretty much every PS retail exclusive has rated below or at average, with the one exception of Naughty Dog games. I don't see that changing. For whatever reason reviewer's tastes just don't match with Sony's tastes on the games they decide to fund.

This is factually incorrect though.

Plus, Bloodborne isn't just another exclusive. It's technically the sequel to two of the most influential and critically revered games of the previous generation.

WITHE1982

Wait Im confused will there be a review in tomorrows issue or do we have to wait till next month for the actual number and shit?

Then whats to tomorrow?

I think Edge are being quite clever and making sure they have a Bloodborne feature/verdict in their current issue as otherwise, due to their print schedule, they'd miss the boat completely and the review would be post launch.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom