• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Edge cover revealed: Bloodborne, the verdict (review available tomorrow)

Status
Not open for further replies.

GHG

Does every fucking thread have to become a the order thread these days?

Give it a rest.

Kosma

Banned
Click bait from Edge?

Get real guys

No hype. For all we know the game could end up like The Order 1886.

gtfo-eccbc87e4b5ce2fe28308fd9f2a7baf3-428.gif

That's a fantastic cover.

As for the review.

A solid follow up to Demon's and Dark Soils, but fails to fully capitalise on being a new IP. Doesn't take enough risks, doesn't do enough to differentiate itself from past games, the new gun mechanic, while sounding like a revolution, actually turns out to be a failure in its execution.

Bloodbourne ultimately fails to capture what made Demon's and Dark such good games.

Recent review not-embargoes might have ruined it, but usually games would get reviews a week before they're out. A couple of weeks doesn't seem that far-fetched especially for a print magazine compared to an online outlet. We'll see tomorrow though, whether it's a full-blown review.

I know, it's just that these days most devs and publishers seem to favor protecting their products more than getting out reviews early. Back in the day, when the digital age was relatively young, it was important to get reviews of the final product as fast as possible, in order to make the biggest sales when the game came out. Now a days, where word travels in a millisecond, reviews are less so important, especially since a negative one, especially one that is the only singular review for the product, can ricochet across the crevices of twitter or even NeoGAF. These days, to release a review early(Especially since Edge is announcing it, and if true the review will be available later today/tomorrow) is risky not knowing the outcome, especially giving consumers enough time to parse through it and decide to cancel it.

So...yeah it's peculiar and odd for the review of Bloodborne, a very much anticipated game to be coming out so early.

Jomjom

Banned
Expecting a 6.5 for the notoriety.

Probably going to be dinging it for a bunch of things it isn't rather than what it is. Not open world, not RPG enough, not enough player choice, pace of combat is not fast enough, etc. etc.

It'll be a 9 or 10.
If they gave Dark Souls II, which was developped by a B-team, they can't go lower with that one.

When you say B-team do you say this as if to say "the less talented developers"? I doubt very much they'd refer to them as the "B-team" and it comes off as insulting to see this rhetoric put forward regularly as if Dark Souls 2 was some shameful production.

Why don't you just refer to them as the DS team, or BB teams? Let them stand on their own merits, not artificial, arbitrary ones such as A/B.

galvenize

I like all the underrating in this thread that's being given to the game. It will make that 9/10 all the more enjoyable ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°

Jb

£fivefifty

Presumably the review is 10/10 or it wouldn't really warrant this kind of cover. I can't think of many Edge covers which have been dedicated to reviews rather than previews/features.

Or they know they have the first BB review which will get them a lot of attention, and there aren't that many already announced that would make for interesting previews at this time.

Probably going to be dinging it for a bunch of things it isn't rather than what it is. Not open world, not RPG enough, not enough player choice, pace of combat is not fast enough, etc. etc.

I take it you've never read Edge? :)

It it's a good game, it'll get a good score. And Dark Souls was their game of the generation.

Jomjom

Banned
I like all the underrating in this thread that's being given to the game. It will make that 9/10 all the more enjoyable ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°

Pretty much every PS retail exclusive has rated below or at average, with the one exception of Naughty Dog games. I don't see that changing. For whatever reason reviewer's tastes just don't match with Sony's tastes on the games they decide to fund.

WITHE1982

If it is a full review it'll be the first copy of Edge I've bought in around a year. I do like it when a developer has the balls to let reviews out this early. It shows they have supreme confidence in their product and it's normally justified.

I predict a 10/10.

King_Moc

Banned

What makes you think that?

Edit:

Pretty much every PS retail exclusive has rated below or at average, with the one exception of Naughty Dog games. I don't see that changing. For whatever reason reviewer's the just don't match with Sony's tastes on the games they decide to fund.

Ahh, an anti-Sony conspiracy. I see. You realise that they have far better reviews on average than the competition on Metacritic, right?

Shengar

What is this influx of people suddenly assigning low score to Bloodborne? Did Dark Souls and Demon's Souls ceasing to exist because of The Order 1886?

Amused

Pretty much every PS retail exclusive has rated below or at average, with the one exception of Naughty Dog games. I don't see that changing. For whatever reason reviewer's tastes just don't match with Sony's tastes on the games they decide to fund.

Eh.

Neff

Does every fucking thread have to become a the order thread these days?

Give it a rest.

When a game is more disproportionate and conflicted than ever before between what pulls you in (stunning visuals and production values) and what gives you a satisfying gaming experience (innovation, content, variety) like The Order is, it's always going to invite passionate feelings, from people who have played the game and people who haven't.

You should get used to it, because it's not going to end for a while.

bigol

The hate DS 2 gets is ridicolous.

About BB i think it will be more or less on par with other Souls game. I fear for the quantity and variety of game content though.

Galactic Fork

A little fluff between the ears never did any harm...
score = 6/10
since you create your character, and it is anonymous...I had to give my character the name "Fight" just so I could recognize what she should do in battle.

Ole-G

Banned
Lol @ some of you predicting 6s and even lower scores. Clueless people will be clueless no matter what.

iLR2FT4J4haxg.gif

Dark_castle

That's a fantastic cover.

As for the review.

A solid follow up to Demon's and Dark Soils, but fails to fully capitalise on being a new IP. Doesn't take enough risks, doesn't do enough to differentiate itself from past games, the new gun mechanic, while sounding like a revolution, actually turns out to be a failure in its execution.

Bloodbourne ultimately fails to capture what made Demon's and Dark such good games.

Have faith in Miyazaki.

"I can't believe I ate the whole thing!"
-Burger review, 9/10

"Had to turn the brightness way up, why does it have to be so dark?"
-Bloodborne review, 6/10

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom