• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Edge cover revealed: Bloodborne, the verdict (review available tomorrow)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mutombo

Next gen gameplay = game mechanics not possible last gen

No Man's Sky is, to me, next gen gameplay, where universe and world combine something not possible before.

Bloodborne has a tried and true formula and straying too far from the Souls path will result in an un-soullike game. Chalice Dungeon implemented in the souls universe is next gen.

Donos

Anything less than 10 will cause outrage. This is the one Sony fans have been hanging thier hopes on. The review thread will be a bloodbath if the game has any imperfections.

What hope? It's not like in the early PS3/Xbox360 era where PS3 was seriously behind and people hope for Uncharted 1 to give the PS3 a second wind.
And C-Warriors use every release for their cause.

Mutombo

From games aren't know for stellar performance /technical expertise . Their forte is gameplay . Would maybe par back on the smoothness expectations ;p. but who knows with the japan studio involvement

By smooth I mean the game not dropping to 2 fps when going up a certain ladder, or walking across a certain bridge.

I WILL BE FINE

Scrawnton

No Man's Sky is, to me, next gen gameplay, where universe and world combine something not possible before.

Bloodborne has a tried and true formula and straying too far from the Souls path will result in an un-soullike game. Chalice Dungeon implemented in the souls universe is next gen.

In No Man's Sky, I see next generation presentation. But not next gen gameplay. Stop bashing Bloodborne for sticking to something that works. Guess what, New Super Mario Bros. U is a fantastic fun game with 25 year old game play.

I guess I just don't understand why you'd care. Anyone who complains about next-gen gameplay should be immediately disregarded as a games journalist, because they're complaining about things that don't exist.

I can see the "next gen" complaint working in certain cases. Like if you're playing a shooter and the gunplay, AI, multiplayer options, level design etc all fall short of last generations best but it has some decent graphics I can see why you would complain. Then again, that actually happened a lot last gen as well :p

I don't think this is going to be a problem with Bloodborne though. Challice dungeon, different combat focus, not commonly used setting and rumblings of mysterious something something that can't be discussed make it seem like it has a pleasing balance of old and new.

I realize that reviews are somewhat subjective, and The Order is not going to win anyone's (including my) GoTY award. But it's not a 3/10 game. Period. Not even close.

The reviewer would/will lose all credibility by stating it is. Just as if they called Ocarina of time 6.0 game, or Halo CE a 4.0.

It just isn't within the "margin of opinion".
Oh wow, you were being serious.

Oh-Wait-Your-Serious-Let-Me-Laugh-Even-Harder-On-Futurama.gif

Mutombo

In No Man's Sky, I see next generation presentation. But not next gen gameplay. Stop bashing Bloodborne for sticking to something that works. Guess what, New Super Mario Bros. U is a fantastic fun game with 25 year old game play.

Gameplay is not the way you control the character or how you handle the controller. Gameplay is inherent to the world, the mechanics, the goals, the way you achieve your goals, interaction with the world, interaction with the social community... interaction in general. In this view I find No Mans Sky pretty fucking next generational.

But other than that, I already said Souls has a tried and true formula which works well, and you can't fault the game for 'evolving' on this path. Which is something they're clearly doing. Giving something new with something already known.

Ha ha, I wondered whether Rise of the Tomb Raider was going to get a subtitle, but I never expected that!

Do Edge not consider the Wii U part of this generation then? Didn't they give Bayonetta 2 a 10/10?

"If you've been watching this generation from the sidelines,..."

They took it into consideration. :p

...I'm sorry, I'll show myself out.

Cognitive Dissonance, Distilled
I hate this. I really wanted to play it before any in-depth impressions came out to color my playthrough. Now I have avoid all Internet for two weeks. Thanks, Edge. :(

Scrawnton

Gameplay is not the way you control the character or how you handle the controller. Gameplay is inherent to the world, the mechanics, the goals, the way you achieve your goals, interaction with the world, interaction with the social community... interaction in general. In this view I find No Mans Sky pretty fucking next generational.

But other than that, I already said Souls has a tried and true formula which works well, and you can't fault the game for 'evolving' on this path. Which is something they're clearly doing. Giving something new with something already known.

Well then, when we see a video of someone actually playing No Man's Sky and we can verify that loading between space and planet is seamless and fluid like they're showing, then I'll agree with you on "pretty fucking next gen" but that doesn't hold that game to a different standard gameplay-wise than any other game. If a formula works for gameplay, you stick with it. Gameplay is relative, it's why some nes and snes games are still fun. You can't judge next gen gameplay or last gen gameplay, you judge good vs bad gameplay. You're arguement is so arbitrary.

gai_shain

Well, the only negative thing coming out of this pseudo review is they have a few worries about potential replayability as there is no class system and enemies no longer drop weapons/gear.

No more weapon farming and constantly reseting for speedruns, so good!

Mutombo

Well then, when we see a video of someone actually playing No Man's Sky and we can verify that loading between space and planet is seamless and fluid like they're showing, then I'll agree with you on "pretty fucking next gen" but that doesn't hold that game to a different standard gameplay-wise than any other game. If a formula works for gameplay, you stick with it. Gameplay is relative, it's why some nes and snes games are still fun. You can't judge next gen gameplay or last gen gameplay, you judge good vs bad gameplay. You're arguement is so arbitrary.

Judging the term 'next gen gameplay' can only be done when comparing it to the last gen. The term implies this.

I'm not saying it should be done though. I agree. Gameplay is fun or it isn't. I was responding to a little bit of discussion going around in this thread. But that doesn't mean you can't think about gameplay on newer hardware in comparison with gameplay on older hardware. Isn't that why we get excited with new hardware in the first place? Is playing Half Life 2 on Oculus Rift still last gen, or does it give you something new?

You see? It is arbitrary - but therein lies the fun for discussion. Games industry is the newest form of media since ever. It means we're always in need of new definitions of terminology.

Anything less than 10 will cause outrage. This is the one Sony fans have been hanging thier hopes on. The review thread will be a bloodbath if the game has any imperfections.

Really? I already have it preordered and will probably love it regardless, but I'm expecting 7-8's with stuff like

"Too derivative"
"Con - More Souls in all but name. Pros - More Souls in all but name."
"Needs significant changes in next Souls entry"
"After the delay, still can't lock down consistent framerate in some areas"
"Color palette too drab"
"All areas have an oppressive atmosphere, unlike previous Souls titles which were better at changing the feel of each area."
"With Dark Souls now reaching 60 fps on PC, for this game to only be 30 fps is a bit of a letdown."

And it wouldn't matter to me. The only thing I would care about is if the frame rate was consistently reaching Blighttown levels. I want more Souls. I want that oppressive
atmosphere. I want it to be just like Demon's Souls when I first stepped out into Boletaria or Latria, looked around and said "What the f' happened here??"

The first AAA PS4 exclusive that doesnt fall short...

Of course...

Zia

Yeah, as soon as I saw the typical games reviewed list left off the cover I knew Bloodborne wasn't actually reviewed. Their publishing schedule is a fucking mess right now.

Would like to know what games from two months ago they did manage to review though.

bombshell

Pretty much every PS retail exclusive has rated below or at average, with the one exception of Naughty Dog games. I don't see that changing. For whatever reason reviewer's tastes just don't match with Sony's tastes on the games they decide to fund.

You can't be serious...

Uncharted 2 - 96
The Last of Us - 95
LittleBigPlanet - 95
God of War 3 - 92
Uncharted 3 - 92
Journey - 92
LittleBigPlanet 2 - 91
Killzone 2 - 91
Wipeout HD - 89
Demon's Souls - 89
Ratchet & Clank ToD - 89
Uncharted - 88
Heavy Rain - 87

All from the top 100 PS3 games on metacritic.

Yeah, everything besides Naughty Dog games are rated below or at average...

bimltg.gif

Someone give me a sleeping pill that lasts 2 weeks.

If you see the gif casually you see second guy rolling between first guy and the monster, but if you keep looking at the second guy throughout, it looks like he rolled behind the first guy and not in between. Weird huh..

EDIT: nvm I need to sleep lol

shandy706

No interest in the game, but that is a nice cover

I agree. Heck, I'd like some artwork/figures based on the game.

The gameplay videos turned me completely off over time. It's a long wait for Uncharted.

Good thing there's no friendly fire. That one player head-shots his partner right in the back of the head...boom! LOL That creature also seems to either really love or really hate pillars.

Scrawnton

Judging the term 'next gen gameplay' can only be done when comparing it to the last gen. The term implies this.

I'm not saying it should be done though. I agree. Gameplay is fun or it isn't. I was responding to a little bit of discussion going around in this thread. But that doesn't mean you can't think about gameplay on newer hardware in comparison with gameplay on older hardware. Isn't that why we get excited with new hardware in the first place? Is playing Half Life 2 on Oculus Rift still last gen, or does it give you something new?

You see? It is arbitrary - but therein lies the fun for discussion. Games industry is the newest form of media since ever. It means we're always in need of new definitions of terminology.

I'm not personally attacking you. So I hope no hard feelings, but I still don't like that argument. Also, everyone gets excited about "teh graphics" for next gen systems, not the gameplay. I think the graphics of bloodborne adds to the gameplay in a way that makes it more tense because of the realistic atmosphere. It's one of the reasons why I thought darks souls was better than demons souls, the world was more realized and added to the tension of the gameplay. Bloodborne takes that even further.

BigTnaples

Todd Howard's Secret GAF Account
Oh wow, you were being serious.

Oh-Wait-Your-Serious-Let-Me-Laugh-Even-Harder-On-Futurama.gif

Yes. There is a difference between a game not being to ones liking, or having issues, and being bargain bin quality. M

The order is Amazing on a technical level, has extremely solid gunplay, fantastic sound design, a gripping story, solid presentation, inventive weapon/gadget designs, and wonderful Art.

Does it have some pacing issues? For many, yes.

Does it have the best AI? No. It's just serviceable.

Could it use more of the later style firefights in the first half of the game? Yes.

Probably a few other issues as well.

Do any of these things make it a 3/10 game? No.

Just as I hated everything about Final Fantasy VII, but I can see its merits through my hatred, and realize it is not actually a 3/10 game. A professional reviewer should be able to make the same distinction of they want to be credible in my eyes.

The game may "too cinimatic" or have "too many QTEs" for a reviewers liking, and that can drop a games score lower for certain. But the Order Executes what it sets out to do for the most part very well..

In any case I think the numbered review scale needs to go in favor of text only reviews... In part because of stuff like this. Rating games super high or low for clicks.

Tell us about the game. What you liked, what you didn't, what worked, what didn't.

Ray Wonder

Founder of the Wounded Tagless Children
You can't be serious...

Uncharted 2 - 96
The Last of Us - 95
LittleBigPlanet - 95
God of War 3 - 92
Uncharted 3 - 92
Journey - 92
LittleBigPlanet 2 - 91
Killzone 2 - 91
Wipeout HD - 89
Demon's Souls - 89
Ratchet & Clank ToD - 89
Uncharted - 88
Heavy Rain - 87

This seems to be the mentality that took over once there were a couple average/below average games that came out on Sony platforms. People just want to make someone a villain instead of seeing what's in front of them. There are tons of great, highly rated Playstation games. I expect Bloodborne will join those ranks.

Zaventem

You can't be serious...

Uncharted 2 - 96
The Last of Us - 95
LittleBigPlanet - 95
God of War 3 - 92
Uncharted 3 - 92
Journey - 92
LittleBigPlanet 2 - 91
Killzone 2 - 91
Wipeout HD - 89
Demon's Souls - 89
Ratchet & Clank ToD - 89
Uncharted - 88
Heavy Rain - 87

Expected someone with a 1886 avatar to take the bait.

Zia

I stole this from rllmuk if anyone wants the actual review scores in this issue:

The Order: 1886: 4
Evolve: 6
Resident Evil: Revelations 2: 7
Total War: Attila: 7
There Came An Echo: 5
Kick & Fennick: 5
IDARB: 6

Exciting stuff...

I'm expecting 8+ average, Souls games have always been divisive. I do think a good portion of people will consider Dark Souls better and be hyperbolic in criticism when they talk about Bloodborne, just as they did with Dark Souls 2.

So long as the game isn't overwhelmingly negative like Order I don't see my preorder going anywhere.

driver116

This seems to be the mentality that took over once there were a couple average/below average games that came out on Sony platforms. People just want to make someone a villain instead of seeing what's in front of them. There are tons of great, highly rated Playstation games. I expect Bloodborne will join those ranks.

Anything below 90 shit sux mentality.

derExperte

The order is Amazing on a technical level, has extremely solid gunplay, fantastic sound design, a gripping story, solid presentation, inventive weapon/gadget designs, and wonderful Art.

For many the story wasn't gripping at all and at the end was actually the thing that cemented the pretty low score I'd have given it. The rest is mostly fluff and wasted potential.

Also shouldn't we've moved beyond 'reviewer x gave only y so he's a fool' after horrible incidents like the UC3 thread? It's just childish at this point.

driver116

I stole this from rllmuk if anyone wants the actual review scores in this issue:

The Order: 1886: 4
Evolve: 6
Resident Evil: Revelations 2: 7
Total War: Attila: 7
There Came An Echo: 5
Kick & Fennick: 5
IDARB: 6

Exciting stuff...

The order is unfinished, broken, buggy and unpolished then.

I dont understand this, we have NO IDEA what no mans sky really is

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom