• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Edge cover revealed: Bloodborne, the verdict (review available tomorrow)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can someone please explain to me . (And this is coming from a sony fan) Are we expecting most sites to review this very well without bringing up . Where is the next gen gameplay ?

Btw for the record I'm pretty sure this will review well (good track record previews etc) but I personally don't see what's being done in this game that couldn't be done on last gen . (Disregarding graphics because we always do that it seems)

So if this reviews super well without it's online introducing something super unique or without many reviewrs atleast bringing up next gen gameplay it would just illustrate a very silly expectation ppl have built up .

Yup I do . I'm just saying as this is increasingly looking like the first next gen only game that will review welli hope all the reviewers who've been harping about "next gen gameplay" atleast point out that while this is a good game it's not doing anything super new/not possible last gen

. I mean there are true next gen moments (m64 gta3 etc) but those are far and few inbetween . Just saying the outlets/sites clamouring for a"true next gen" fix better justify why this is . Or at least acknowledge it's not but just a good game etc etc whichever way it turns out

Oh I'm not expecting more myself by my original post I meant that ppl (aka review outlets) constantly clamouring for "next gen next gen gameplay" need to realize it's mostly an evolution . It seems some of you took it to mean me saying bloodborne is bad. I meant by the looks of it bloodborne is good and at an evolution (aggressive benefits/procedural dungeons /improved graphics) you know what you would expect of a new improved version . But lately many sites have been critiquing many games as not having and "next gen" gameplay . I'm sure most of these sites will love bloodborne . Was just pointing out the hypocrisy in that .
Can you cite some examples of reviewers/critics mentioning or demanding "next gen gameplay"? I haven't ever come across this term but you seem to have come across many.

I'm googling and can't find any review. Are you making this shit up? lol

BigTnaples

Todd Howard's Secret GAF Account
For many the story wasn't gripping at all and at the end was actually the thing that cemented the pretty low score I'd have given it. The rest is mostly fluff.

Also shouldn't we've moved beyond 'reviewer x gave only y so he's a fool' after horrible incidents like the UC3 thread? It's just childish at this point.

Fair enough. But even if you didn't enjoy the story, doesn't drop the game down to that level.

Don't remember the thread you're referring to. I just know that a game that does as much right as the Order, shouldn't be rated as "shit".

Is it the best thing ever? No. But there is a grey area, a middle ground.

If I rated these games:

Ocarina of Time 6/10
Halo CE 4/10
Destiny 7/10
Driveclub 1/10
Bioshock Infinite 3/10
The Order 8/10
Superman 64 5/10

Would you take me seriously as a professional reviewer? Defending my "Opinions?"

I hope not.

Auctopus

I was thinking last night, at the rate I'm seeing posts on GAF along the lines of...

Never played a Souls game before but I'm getting Bloodborne Day 1!

, there's going to have to be a dedicated questions/help thread for newcomers to the series.

If Bloodborne receives pre-release 10/10s from major publications then it's gonna get busy, haha.

halfbeast

Banned
I do like a bit of a loot hunt though. Think it will be restricted to just chests now or something?

now that I think about it, this means it's going to be more like Demon's Souls. there weren't weapon drops from killing (other than a couple of NPCs). it was either a gift, world tendency shenanigans or strategically placed loot on corpses.

I'm guessing, they're trying to avoid the lucky Black Knight Halberd drop from Dark Souls, which spawned impressions like "I can't kill the first boss!" to "I finished the game with the first weapon I found, easy game, get gud!".

I'm ok with this.

Fair enough. But even if you didn't enjoy the story, doesn't drop the game down to that level.

Don't remember the thread you're referring to. I just know that a game that does as much right as the Order, shouldn't be rated as "shit".

Is it the best thing ever? No. But there is a grey area, a middle ground.

If I rated these games:

Ocarina of Time 6/10
Halo CE 4/10
Destiny 7/10
Driveclub 1/10
Bioshock Infinite 3/10
The Order 8/10
Superman 64 5/10

Would you take me seriously as a professional reviewer? Defending my "Opinions?"

I hope not.
No, because destiny is a 8 imo, with a actual story and more content it would hit 10.

now that I think about it, this means it's going to be more like Demon's Souls. there weren't weapon drops from killing (other than a couple of NPCs). it was either a gift, world tendency shenanigans or strategically placed loot on corpses.

I'm guessing, they're trying to avoid the lucky Black Knight Halberd drop from Dark Souls, which spawned impressions like "I can't kill the first boss!" to "I finished the game with the first weapon I found, easy game, get gud!".

I'm ok with this.
It's been a few years since I played demons souls... You sure there aren't weapon drops from enemies? Seems incorrect but my memory could be completely failing me.

ced

Well, the only negative thing coming out of this pseudo review is they have a few worries about potential replayability as there is no class system and enemies no longer drop weapons/gear.

Personally neither of those things are a negative to me, and with the addition of chalice dungeons I don't think we need to worry about replayability.

When they say No Class System, does that mean you can't make different builds? Like in Dark Souls you had STR builds for big weapons or INT builds who concentrate on magic, does that not exist now?

Amused

Loving this interview with Jun Yoshino.

Regarding game design, how free will the player be to explore different areas in the game? Can we go straight to a bigger challenge or will the game push us to one direction at a time?

"It’s quite interesting. It’s like a hybrid of Demon and Dark Souls. FromSoftware decided to mix those two together. I think it works out really nicely. You still have this kind of refuge, this central area you can always retreat back to. But the game world itself is more like Dark Souls, because in Bloodborne it’s all linked together as well. Once you venture out, you can effectively go anywhere you want."

Eh... No drops from mobs? So, is there NG+? What's the point of it if not for better loot?

Loot was never the point of NG+ in the Souls games. o_O This isn't Diablo. Besides that I can only think of 1 weapon I actually ever felt was worth it to grind for to get it early and that the Balder Side Sword in the Undead Parish in Dark Souls.

Most weapons and armor usually coinsidered good are either found or are a unique drop from a special enemy (like boss tails, etc.)

Doesn't sound like that change impacts the game much at all.

Now if we get a Pure Bladestone situation though...(just got this last trophy about a week ago after 5 years...the first time I ever saw a Bladestone o_O)

ced

"But the game world itself is more like Dark Souls, because in Bloodborne it’s all linked together as well. Once you venture out, you can effectively go anywhere you want."

Not new info but good to hear again.

My biggest complaint with DS2 was dumping the DS world design, can't wait.

Auctopus

Regarding game design, how free will the player be to explore different areas in the game? Can we go straight to a bigger challenge or will the game push us to one direction at a time?

"It’s quite interesting. It’s like a hybrid of Demon and Dark Souls. FromSoftware decided to mix those two together. I think it works out really nicely. You still have this kind of refuge, this central area you can always retreat back to. But the game world itself is more like Dark Souls, because in Bloodborne it’s all linked together as well. Once you venture out, you can effectively go anywhere you want."

Untitled-1%2Bcopy.jpg

get me a towel.

Ridley327

Not new info but good to hear again.

My biggest complaint with DS2 was dumping the DS world design, can't wait.

It was really weird how it was essentially a bigger version of DeS. You had some shortcuts that took you to other parts of the game, but you could almost label the areas 1-1 or 2-4 and no one would bat an eye.

Sounds fantastic. I can't wait to play it.

Drencrom

'And if you've been watching this generation from the sidelines, unmoved by the remasters and rush jobs while you wait for the first essential to arrive, now's the time'.

The last line is even better: 'As if there was ever any doubt, Miyazaki and his team have done it all over again'.

:)
When they say No Class System, does that mean you can't make different builds? Like in Dark Souls you had STR builds for big weapons or INT builds who concentrate on magic, does that not exist now?

There are stats and you can make builds, you just don't start as a class ('knight', 'wanderer' etc).

derExperte

[....]

I hope not.

Says who? For some it obviously did which is no surprise since it's a story focused game, there isn't some higher instance that says 'because of this and that nobody can score this game lower than that'.

[....]

I would conclude that we have different tastes but still read your reviews if they're well written. Like 50% for Sup64? I need to know why! What I wouldn't do is declare that you've lost all credibility based on one single score without hearing the arguments, that would be just petty.

halfbeast

Banned
It's been a few years since I played demons souls... You sure there aren't weapon drops from enemies? Seems incorrect but my memory could be completely failing me.

yeah, it's been a while for me too, they do drop those basic weapons, like short sword or buckler and stuff, although I got a mirdan hammer in 2-2 from a drop, but you got all those weapons from placed items in all the worlds or from a vendor. you basically farmed for stones, so, if a weapon would drop it was actually an annoyance.

but they had world/character tendency, which was complicated to get right and needed multiple playthroughs to get the special loot you can find from those quests (not to mention all the spells/miracles for each soul).

Can you cite some examples of reviewers/critics mentioning or demanding "next gen gameplay"? I haven't ever come across this term but you seem to have come across many.

I remember reviews on Infamous Second Son has reviewers bringing that up. It's annoying because the game is pretty fun, even though it didn't revolutionize the genre.

truly101

I got grudge sucked!

I'd like to know an example of just what "next gen gameplay" supposedly is. I cannot think of any game released on any of the new consoles that couldn't be done on the previous games in terms of gameplay.

Bookoo

'If you've been watching this generation from the sidelines, unmoved by remasters and rush jobs while you wait for the first true essential to arrive, now's the time."

I want this game now!

Cognitive Dissonance, Distilled
So am I reading this correctly? Their build didn't have the Chalice dungeon, yet they're 40+ hrs in and still have a lot more? That should clear up concerns about the Chalice dungeon being filler for a short game.

ced

there is also a brand new mechanic that they are forbidden from discussing.

I'm going to guess this has something to do with the time of day change that's been seen in a lot of the areas shown. I don't think they would have put in that much work for something that is just cosmetic.

Zia

So it is a review but with no score attached. Nice!
Clever way around the embargo, lol!

Next issue should contain a standard reviews heading with the game, platform etc and then a white page with a [9] at the bottom.

D

Deleted member 10571

Unconfirmed Member
So am I reading this correctly? Their build didn't have the Chalice dungeon, yet they're 40+ hrs in and still have a lot more? That should clear up concerns about the Chalice dungeon being filler for a short game.

I do wonder though, will there be a New Game+ or will the Dungeon take this place.

It's obvious beast transformation / invade.

Is there any reason people think there's a beast transformation? ^^

ced

Is there any reason people think there's a beast transformation?

Yes, I would have to dig up the quotes, but there is also a theme in the game that the blood your consuming transforms people into beasts or something like that.

Ferr986

I dont understand this, we have NO IDEA what no mans sky really is

YOU don't.

14 days! Damn!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom