• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

EDGE: "Meet NeoGAF, the hardcore community shaping the games media agenda"

Auto_aim1

MeisaMcCaffrey
There will be other Jeff Bells, Denis Dyacks and Adam Orths. It’s not always comfortable viewing, but NeoGAF’s influence is nonetheless a reflection of how the lines are blurring between the media and the communities its serves.

GAF will become more influential in the years to come. Great article!

Soriku

He is now 28, and tells us that he has turned down seven-figure offers from large corporations and gaming networks to buy his site

Maaaaan, fuck that, Evilore, I would have taken that money
KuGsj.gif

He's probably already rich. And well, if he enjoys running the site and doesn't want it to get ruined by a corporation, great.

"Malka describes NeoGAF as his life’s work. He joined the community when he was fourteen, took it over when he was 19 and has been running it as a full-time job since 2006. He is now 28, and tells us that he has turned down seven-figure offers from large corporations and gaming networks to buy his site."

Dayuummm

I wonder how would it turn out if a corporation takes over NeoGAF. If it turned out bad, props to Malka for turning it down

If a corporation bought Gaf, it would be over and done with and someone else would make the "new" gaf. Corporation free is one of the hallmarks of Gaf and why it works so well.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
Soon we will demand tributes. Protection money. For the "work" we do.

EloquentM

aka Mannny
I can think of a few other places that have been driving these controversies more than Neogaf.
Why do people do this. If you're going to make opposing statements give examples to stimulate discussion instead of virtually saying nothing with a drive-by post.

Alucrid

Banned
Editorials like this worry me because it means even more attention will be placed on GAF, and as a result more people will want to join. While I'm a relatively recent member, I joined this website because I lurked it for a six-month period and enjoyed reading the conversations here. It would be a shame if GAF became the "next big thing", because I think it would harm the website's overall quality.

I would also hope that game developers don't start to look to GAF for approval. While I like our poster base, game development should come out of inspiration, not focus group testing. GAF is a relatively intelligent body, but it would still be focus group testing.

I don't think the level of complaining about shit has gone down over the years, so clearly they ain't listening.

Also the account approval process and moderation make it so we don't turn into gamefaqs.

Minions

Hrm. I'm not really sure anyone should take the blame, other than the person who originally posted public comments on twitter. But hey, iit could just be me.

I respect that guy for not selling it.

But part of me wonders if ten years down the line he might look back and say "Shit, I wish I took those offers".

sangreal

If a website is pushing an exclusive review of the next hyped triple-A game, it’s likely that those involved managed to pander to the game’s publisher harder than everyone else did, and that is usually reflected in the tone of the review.”

However much one might disagree with this – and we do in the strongest possible terms – there’s no dispute over the fact that these views are out there, and they are dominant on NeoGAF

yeah, right

Riposte

GAF isn't that hardcore, at least relative to its population. I don't think the "hardcore" gamers are the ones obsessed with the daily life and eating habits of Polygon writers.

Einbroch

Banned
I respect that guy for not selling it.

But part of me wonders if ten years down the line he might look back and say "Shit, I wish I took those offers".

He's making more than enough money. Dude went to Europe for like four months just 'cause.

If a corporation bought Gaf, it would be over and done with and someone else would make the "new" gaf. Corporation free is one of the hallmarks of Gaf and why it works so well.
Exactly. We rarely even have advertisements revolving around games (I do wonder why this is the case, though).

And on the note of GAF's legacy, I'd like to think that GAF's defining moments come out of the things GAF members do, not what gets spread about as the result of journalists hovering over the site for news bits.

Shit, now we all HAVE to get those NeoGAF tattos, don't we?

Proud member of insanity.
The first rule of GAF club...

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
This article, more than anything, reminds me how great Evilore has been in shaping the forum as it is today. He truly cares.

Top Bottom