• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

EDGE: "Power struggle: the real differences between PS4 and Xbox One performance"

JonnyLH

Banned
Bullshit detected here.
I don't mind you dis-proving and discussing what I write, but put some context against it to why. It's not like what I'm saying is gospel, but surely a gaming community can have a constructive discussion around technicalities yes?

Caronte

Judging by the Wii, maybe a metric ton of them. If it's used correctly. I firmly believe that bundling the Kinect was the right decision. A console can't survive on specs alone and the PS4 has nothing to attract the casual crowd with.

The casual crowd is not going to pay $500 for a console.

JonnyLH

Banned
so basically you typed all that just to imply the ps4 is unbalanced tech?

OK, then.....
Well, not really. It's pros and cons between both consoles. The PS4 needs that massive GPU because its throttled its CPU with GDDR. Sony played it very smart with their financial situation.

Judging by the Wii, maybe a metric ton of them. If it's used correctly. I firmly believe that bundling the Kinect was the right decision. A console can't survive on specs alone and the PS4 has nothing to attract the casual crowd with.

Kinect is not the right decision. You realize they already tried that with xbox 360 right? Casuals will look at it as the same thing. That is the mistake Nintendo did with WiiU.

Vizzeh

Banned
I don't mind you dis-proving and discussing what I write, but put some context against it to why. It's not like what I'm saying is gospel, but surely a gaming community can have a constructive discussion around technicalities yes?

What you just typed will need an extreme amount of energy to explain, I would honestly sugguest reading around the boards a bit, the answers are there, without getting into it, theres definately alot of flaws, to start with the GDDR5 latency, the CU's etc

Well, not really. It's pros and cons between both consoles. The PS4 needs that massive GPU because its throttled its CPU with GDDR. Sony played it very smart with their financial situation.

No you have no idea what you are talking about and everything you said has already been deal with .
In fact your first point alone shows you don't understand stuff drivers\ API will continue to improve even after the systems out.

orioto

Good Art™
Nononono, the difference is more like:

PS4
toy-story-3.jpg

Xbone
Pong.png

4reel guise

More like

PS4
Neytiri-neytiri-10237066-900-600.jpg

XBO
avatar_neytiri_by_eraocean-d5ubs66.png

Chobel

Memory reads are 50% faster? From what? I can tell you as a fact that if its the CPU doing the memory read, it would be a heck lot slower. Even if its the GPU doing the read, it the developer doesn't implement the switching of tasks while waiting for GDDR return, then it'll still be slower. It depends how deep the OpenGL wrapper goes.

I tried my best to understand this, I just couldn't. Mind explain what are you talking about here?
Also, OpenGL?

rjinaz

I don't know about you, but I really don't care about casual games.

I do get what he is saying. The Wii showed that there is a large audience of casual gamers looking for gaming experiences beyond console graphics. The audience at GAF may not like the Kinect, but there is no doubt an audience for Kinect and similar experiences.

I'm just not so sure Kinect is the next Wii. The 360 and the PS3 sold just fine without Kinect or Wii motion controls being attached to it. Also, it seems to me that most casual gamers would be playing on their phones or their PCs that run low-end games. My Mother and Grandmother both play puzzle games on their PC. These choices are more accessible now with choices like Amazon Digital than they were when the Wii first came around.

Pain

Banned
Call of Duty, Madden, FIFA...etc. I think PS3 has plenty of casual appeal.
Gimmicks only work when you also have the price advantage. Xbox One doesnt.

So that's what I think. Xbox one doesnt have casual appeal, not at that price.

TheCloser

Banned
You should stop posting now because you're clueless. Please stop.

jaypah

I think its more accurate to say Nintendo has failed because the casual market that the Wii had has left, not that there is a market for the taking now that Nintendo has failed with the Wii U. The casual fans that the Wii brought in have already moved onto other things.

This is what MS should be concerned with. Pet rock syndrome. And I say that as a Kinect supporter!

Kuro

I tried my best to understand this, I just couldn't. Mind explain what are you talking about here?
Also, OpenGL?

He really doesn't know what he's talking about. Especially the fact that he completely ignored the separate chip in the PS4 that does audio/video encoding/decompression

Edit: He is really close to becoming the new Reiko.

Chobel

A console generation is not a race, it's a marathon. Maybe the PS4 sells better in the first few months. It will just be temporary. As I said, the casual market is crucial for the success of a console.

Xbox 360 and PS3 survived. Also Wii had the image of "console for casuals" and because of that hardcore games didn't sell well.

JonnyLH

Banned
Also, OpenGL?
GPU's love GDDR because they don't work on clock cycles. They process their tasks parallel and without interruption, like a "stream". Hence their name. If the CPU is calling the RAM, it has to wait for that RAM to return with its result. It can't change what its doing, or carry on with something else, it literally has to sit and wait. The CPU could miss several clock cycles (depending on the clock speed) until GDDR returns. That's why DDR is prefered as a general computing memory.

GPU's on the other hand, can jump ship and work on something else when they wait for GDDR to return, they don't have clock cycles and simply keep ticking. Hence why they're prefered for maths calculations and not intermittent calls or changing things about. Although, when the GPU is managing its tasks this is primarily down to the software handling which in this case will be OpenGL. How baked and fully implemented this iteration of OpenGL is in the PS4, I don't know but if its not in there, it'll be left to the developers and things can get messy. Its essentially what sony meant by "coding to the metal".

Sorry if I've just rambled a bit.

You should stop posting now because you're clueless. Please stop.
This post explains that point.

If you've been following Gaf for any amount of time you would know that GDDR5 latency is a non issue. The latency in discrete gpu comes from the memory controller. The fact that you mentioned it discredits your entire post.

Pain

Banned
A console generation is not a race, it's a marathon. Maybe the PS4 sells better in the first few months. It will just be temporary. As I said, the casual market is crucial for the success of a console.
Are you implying the Xvone will get a price cut a few months after launch?
Didn't think so. The first few months are crucial in a consoles lifecycle.

If PS4 gets the lead this year, which I think is very likely, that means it will get more word of mouth. Add to that the price advantage and it makes it easy for it to lead the market in all territories.

See Nintendo as far as counting on repeating the wii thing.

Now in reality, how many? The market is driven right now by multiplats, and one console should/will have the best of them. Kinect won't factor.

JonnyLH

Banned
No you have no idea what you are talking about and everything you said has already been deal with .
In fact your first point alone shows you don't understand stuff drivers\ API will continue to improve even after the systems out.
Let me ask, did DirectX or OpenGL ever get upgraded after the consoles got released? These drivers are final at manufacturing and both companies have had theirs final for a very long time, which makes me believe this article is just capitalistic journalism at its best.

I'm just a random chap who's finally got his GAF account. Regarding technical knowledge, I've been a software engineer for around 8 years.

Who knows more about hardware design than Mark Cerny and knows more about the power differences between these two consoles than the developers actually making software for them.

Got it.

Caronte

It will take years for the Xbox to be at a price that the casual market would be interested in, not months. Unless they drop Kinect.

This includes video encoding, video decoding and even like Mark Cerny said, a lot of the audio tasks will be offloaded to the GPU due to the fact that the GPU is a parralel processing unit which isn't effected by GDDR latency in the same way as the CPU is. Those extra CU's are starting to become less and less without the custom architecture to back them up. Oh and the developers have a lot more leg work managing the threading and task handling of the GPU.Audio processing (not be confused by the audio encoder in the PS4) will have to be off-loaded to the GPU, a lot of the physics will be handled by the GPU. Those extra CU's start decreasing and decreasing and when you've got a CPU which you have to think a lot about because they've put GDDR in there, then you're starting to see what Albert Penello is saying.

He really doesn't know what he's talking about. Especially the fact that he completely ignored the separate chip in the PS4 that does audio/video encoding/decompression

Edit: He is really close to becoming the new Reiko.

http://www.gamechup.com/mark-cerny-ps4-contains-a-dedicated-audio-processing-chip/

JonnyLH

Banned
If you've been following Gaf for any amount of time you would know that GDDR5 latency is a non issue. The latency in discrete gpu comes from the memory controller. The fact that you mentioned it discredits your entire post.
It's a non-issue in the GPU because they can swap tasks and work on anything they want while they're waiting for GDDR to return. They'd rather do that and have the uber-high bandwidth rates for when they do all the texturing and modelling etc.

CPU's don't have that privilege. Mark Cerny himself said it was a non-issue due to audio processing being handled by the GPU.

Piggus

Yeah because a $500 system will capture the casual market the way the Wii did. Lol

PS4 will have a price advantage for years. You're also vastly underestimating the power of momentum.

If these gimmicks are so important for the casual market, why isn't the Wii U doing well? Most "casual" gamers I've talked to want a PS4.

everyone was like lets wait to hear what the devs say. devs speak. and everyone argues cloud (STILL SOMEHOW) and that these "devs" dont know what they are talking about, or arent real... november cant come soon enough

fallingdove

Let me ask, did DirectX or OpenGL ever get upgraded after the consoles got released? These drivers are final at manufacturing and both companies have had theirs final for a very long time, which makes me believe this article is just capitalistic journalism at its best.

Wow, you are very confused. You might want to come back in another 8 years - seems you have missed a few things in the time you have been a software engineer.

Vizzeh

Banned

Thats what I was basing my tiled resources quotes on, a 16mb file that can exist in the esram, being STREAMED from files as big as 10gb textures, that along side a 1080p Frame buffer = 8mb, Double buffered = 16mb = so 16mb tiled + 16mb frame buffer = 32mb eSRAM.

However PS4 can do this too since it suports DX11.2

eSram is ideal with the low latency but the GDDR5 im sure can do it also.

Yeah because a $500 system will capture the casual market the way the Wii did. Lol

PS4 will have a price advantage for years. You're also vastly underestimating the power of momentum.

If these gimmicks are so important for the casual market, why isn't the Wii U doing well? Most "casual" gamers I've talked to want a PS4.

Because Nintendo stupidly deemphasized motion controls with the wiiu and focused its marketing on the tablet controller, alienating and confusing most of its existing audience.

James Sawyer Ford

Gold Member
By any means, I'm not saying the PS4 doesn't have more of a GPU, because it does. The thing is though, it needs that GPU when you've got a CPU crippled by GDDR latency. Audio processing (not be confused by the audio encoder in the PS4) will have to be off-loaded to the GPU, a lot of the physics will be handled by the GPU. Those extra CU's start decreasing and decreasing and when you've got a CPU which you have to think a lot about because they've put GDDR in there, then you're starting to see what Albert Penello is saying.

-CPU isn't crippled at all by GDDR5 latency. Their hUMA architeture and bussing should mitigate any large concerns about that.

-Microsoft's specialized audio hardware is also for encoding, the additional hardware is for Kinect's special purpose processing. Xbox One still needs to offload audio tasks to either CPU or GPU, so this isn't some advantage you're making it out to be.

-Physics should be handled by the GPU thanks to GPGPU in both Xbox One and PS4. Again, this isn't an advantage for Microsoft, in fact the contrary; PS4 has far more hardware dedicated to GPGPU so expect to see larger differences as developers come to grips with asynchronous compute.

-Those extra CU's are going to get plenty of work. Asynchronous compute allows developers to get extra performance out of idle GPU performance.

-Albert Penello is relaying information (or misinformation) about their own hardware, and isn't saying anything about the PS4's hardware choices. I'd love to hear your reasoning about why his word is better than Mark Cerny's.

JonnyLH

Banned
Wow, you are very confused. You might want to come back in another 8 years - seems you have missed a few things in the time you have been a software engineer.

Like I've said, I'm just trying to discuss around this. They're not going to manafacture consoles with beta drivers are they? I can find the article (for X1 atleast) when they state they rolled the drivers on their dev-kits during E3 which were the final "mono" drivers.

To give some more context, I'm not some "Xbot" who's trying to de-rail the whole thread. I will be buying a PS4 because I love the look of DriveClub and Killzone. I also used to PC game, but considering since I had a professional career all I do is sit at my desk all day. I prefer the couch and a pad.

Chobel

Adding another ALU (CU) usually would decrease the performance because of locks and synchronizing between CU and most of the time the data can't be processed in parallel. however this not always.
Adding another CU in GPU will increase performance because the data of rendering can be always processed in parallel (data parallelism).

Like I've said, I'm just trying to discuss around this. They're not going to manafacture consoles with beta drivers are they? I can find the article (for X1 atleast) when they state they rolled the drivers on their dev-kits during E3 which were the final "mono" drivers.

To give some more context, I'm not some "Xbot" who's trying to de-rail the whole thread. I will be buying a PS4 because I love the look of DriveClub and Killzone.

but thats not right. it says drivers for both are not complete....

REV 09

I'm curious how long it will take (if ever) for a game to appear on PS4 that makes me think "Wow, this could never be done on Xbone."
that's not going to happen...ever. Resolution may be a bit worse, same with framerate, but the games will mostly look similar. Giving up resolution provides a lot of room to keep all the other graphical bells and whistles turned on. I had to do this with my pc in order to keep the games maxed out before I got around to upgrading my gpu.

Top Bottom