• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

EDGE: Sony’s VR tech will be revealed at GDC

Leb

I disagree because development has already started on the PC side with the Oculus DK1. People are already working out "best practices" for VR game development. Because of the architecture of the PS4 and that Sony VR kit wont be that radically different then the Oculus. Most of that early experimentation will carry over to the PS4.

I believe we'll get an initial reveal at GDC. A huge blowout at E3 and a release holiday 2014.

Wow, that seems almost comically optimistic for a product which hasn't even been definitively confirmed to exist yet.

If Sony were to pull such a thing off, they will have single-handedly trumped the entire field of VR without anyone spilling the beans in the process. Which I suppose is possible, given Sony's R&D clout, but it doesn't seem very likely.

No one has spilled the beans? We've had like 50 threads on the subject. :p

Plus, this is just the logical extension of a product we've known about for five years — Move. That's why I'm baffled by those who say Sony can never "catch" Oculus; do they not realize Crystal Cove's amazing "new" tracking system is precisely the same system Sony gave us half a decade ago? Who's catching up to whom here?? =/

doemaaan

Wow, that seems almost comically optimistic for a product which hasn't even been definitively confirmed to exist yet.

If Sony were to pull such a thing off, they will have single-handedly trumped the entire field of VR without anyone spilling the beans in the process. Which I suppose is possible, given Sony's R&D clout, but it doesn't seem very likely.

I would hate to wait any longer than Holiday 2014. I'd rather them release the device with some of those in-house games they're working on. It doesn't have to release with a million games, no? Start slow.(?)

I disagree because development has already started on the PC side with the Oculus DK1. People are already working out "best practices" for VR game development. Because of the architecture of the PS4 and that Sony VR kit wont be that radically different then the Oculus. Most of that early experimentation will carry over to the PS4.

I believe we'll get an initial reveal at GDC. A huge blowout at E3 and a release holiday 2014.

This is exactly what I think will happen too. Smaller-sized reveal at GDC, big part of E3 conference, and then a Fall 2014 release.

There's no way it's comically optimistic. None of us can know for sure what will happen, and these are all just opinions. But it's certainly plausible that it will release in the Fall.

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important

Seriously, there's no way it releases in 7 months.
NO WAY.

DieH@rd

Banned
What is a killer app for VR?

tumblr_mik02drApl1s5i4foo4_250.gif
+ Minecraft = fun online games where people can interact and create in VR

i8yAvssGma9mz.gif
+ all other simulation/action games where you are stationary in a seat

the-witness-gif.gif
+ all other indie/AAA slow-paced FPS exploration/puzzle games/horror

cinema3d.jpg
entertaiment

406941-colony_wars_coverart.png

foamdino

I'd put money on http://evevalkyrie.com/ being on the Sony VR headset alongside the Oculus.

CCP have worked closely with Sony for Dust 514, they even mentioned that EVE Valkyrie is not an Oculus exclusive at some point (and then backtracked when they realized that sounded stupid - covering up for letting slip that there's another VR contender in my opinion! :)

I'd put money on http://evevalkyrie.com/ being on the Sony VR headset alongside the Oculus.

CCP have worked closely with Sony for Dust 514, they even mentioned that EVE Valkyrie is not an Oculus exclusive at some point (and then backtracked when they realized that sounded stupid - covering up for letting slip that there's another VR contender in my opinion! :)

That game would be perfect for this peripheral.

I hope Sony really courts developers making VR titles to get a lot of support for this thing.

DieH@rd

Banned
It would be a big deal if Sony announced on E3 that Squadron 42 will arrive on PS4 + PS4VR. That game will be much more ambitious and visually stunning than Eve Valkyrie [who is maybe receiving dev funding from OculusVR for exclusivity]. Although how can RSI make S42 run in 60/72/90fps for VR on PS4... nobody knows. :D

It would be a big deal if Sony announced on E3 that Squadron 42 will arrive on PS4 + PS4VR. That game will be much more ambitious and visually stunning than Eve Valkyrie [who is maybe receiving dev funding from OculusVR for exclusivity]. Alghouth how can RSI make S42 run in 60/72/90fps for VR on PS4... nobody knows. :D

That would be awesome, but what would be even more incredible is if Sony picked up that game "No Man's Sky" and made it a PS4 VR game.

That games looks like it would be perfect for VR.

StuBurns

Banned

I think people are forgetting that it does exist, and it has been shown, Sony have publicly demoed VR headsets, HMDs with various head tracking implementations. If Sony actually pull the trigger on it or not, it's real, and not a secret.

As for giving people time to develop for it, to implement VR into a game which is a good fit, takes a couple of people a few weeks.

Ground up VR games will take years, but Sony isn't going to wait for them.

doemaaan

I think people are forgetting that it does exist, and it has been shown, Sony have publicly demoed VR headsets, HMDs with various head tracking implementations. If Sony actually pull the trigger on it or not, it's real, and not a secret.

As for giving people time to develop for it, to implement VR into a game which is a good fit, takes a couple of people a few weeks.

Ground up VR games will take years, but Sony isn't going to wait for them.

I hope not. There's no need to. They can build a VR consumer base in the meantime with games that can have VR implemented into them.

DieH@rd

Banned
How can a game be exclusive to a display technology? Does it mean that in the future when people can get a different headset outside Oculus, they will be locked out of the game? If so, they are giving the finger to the PC community.

Core gameplay part of that game is using your head to lock-on enemies that are all around you. That means looking at sides even though you are traveling "forward". Putting monitor gamers in a MP match with Oculus gamers will cause incredible massacre, even more than keyb vs gamepad matches.

foamdino

It would be a big deal if Sony announced on E3 that Squadron 42 will arrive on PS4 + PS4VR. That game will be much more ambitious and visually stunning than Eve Valkyrie [who is maybe receiving dev funding from OculusVR for exclusivity]. Although how can RSI make S42 run in 60/72/90fps for VR on PS4... nobody knows. :D

Spoken like an RSI/Star Citizen fanboy ;)

Eve 4 lyfe!!

As it's already been pointed out that Oculus are publishing Valkyrie, then it's probably not coming to the sony vr system. It's very exciting times in this space-sim/shooter genre - I think Elite Dangerous would also be awesome with VR, but it doesn't look like they will support anything apart from Windows right now.

StuBurns

Banned
Core gameplay part of that game is using your head to lock-on enemies that are all around you. That means looking at sides even though you are traveling "forward". Putting monitor gamers in a MP match with Oculus gamers will cause incredible massacre, even more than keyb vs gamepad matches.
He's talking about a rival VR device, not a monitor.

Star Citizen
Eve Valkyrie
Elite: Dangerous

2015 is gonna be good! I bet one of them will be on Sony's VR, dogfighting is good to show off the tech. Any more space combat simulator games coming out?

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward

It sounds like it may be a timed exclusive and/or exclusive to Oculus within the PC realm.

http://venturebeat.com/2014/02/21/w...t-oculus-rift-needs-to-take-flight-interview/

GamesBeat: How exclusive is it to Oculus? In what way is it best on Oculus?

Petursson: It’s exclusive on the Oculus, on the PC. It’s the only announced platform. Oculus is the only VR platform out.

GamesBeat: What was involved in deciding to do that, from both your sides? To do an exclusive and to get your hands on an exclusive?

Brendan Iribe: It’s been our favorite Oculus game for a long time. We like a lot of games, but Valkyrie has shown what a dedicated team can do on the platform. We’ve been, in a way, pushing on these guys to do something together.

Petursson: This is really where the project was born. It’s natural to follow that line through. We look forward, of course, to more competing announcements and street dates and things like that, so that we can try to focus on bringing people into it. But for now, the focus is on bringing it to this announced VR platform on the PC. With Oculus we’re focused on making sure that we harness all the power that’s already behind the game.

StuBurns

Banned
I don't get that, it's exclusive by default because Rift is the only VR headset announced?

That seems obvious, but Oculus are co-publishing, what are they getting for their money if EVR just goes to everywhere as soon as VR headsets are out?

Not that I'm complaining, the idea of PC VR games being exclusive to specific headsets is beyond moronic, but Oculus doesn't seem like they're getting much out of the deal.

SighFight

On a side note:

I am almost 100% sure next Oculus Devkit is releasing next week (or at least shortly after GDC). Why?
Because I think the "sold out" of DK1 is not totally accidental. It is not possible to order anymore and was said to be selling out for some weeks now.
We never expected to sell so many Rift development kits and the fact that we’re close to being sold out after 60,000 kits is nothing short of incredible — Thank you for your support!

We’ll have more news on this soon, so stay tuned!
http://www.oculusvr.com/blog/welcome-atman-binstock-chief-architect/

Of course no one would still buy the old one if the new one is available and in addition people would be pissed if they just ordered the DK1 and the next day DK2 is coming. This way they build in a saftey time for themselves and for customers.

And as I highlighted before from the abstract of the GDC talk:
.In this talk, we'll discuss everything you need to know to get started integrating the latest Oculus Rift hardware with your VR game or experience. The talk will be split into an overview of the latest hardware, a technical breakdown for engineers, an a game design discussion relevant to the new features
http://schedule.gdconf.com/session-id/828260

No point in talking about it if no one has it.

In regards to Sony VR this leaves a couple of possibilities:

1) It probably the last chance to steal some thunder one day ahead before the maybe better Oculus version comes

2) The timing is on purpose by Oculus and Sony to double up on the impact of VR. Sony for the console market (Oculus team somehow started saying they think consoles not right for them...) and Oculus Rift in the PC space. (unlinkley but almost wished for by me)

3) Sony shows something unrelated to VR and everyone is dissapointed :(

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
A small thing, but The Guardian claims to have heard the same as Edge from their own sources:

http://www.theguardian.com/technolo...ft-vr-headset-rival-expected-next-week-at-gdc

Sony will reveal a virtual reality headset for the PlayStation 4 to directly compete with the pioneering Oculus Rift next week, sources have told the Guardian.

Gaming magazine Edge reported that Sony will unveil the headset at the Game Developers Conference (GDC) in San Francisco next week along with some limited software from a Sony games studio. Sony refused to comment. But other sources indicated to the Guardian that the report is correct.

Their report has no further information though.

StuBurns

Banned
Software from a Sony games studio is an interesting thing to note.

I wonder if San Diego is going to have a mini-games collection for it.

EDIT: Zindagi Games' (the big Move people) website says they're making PS4 stuff, and they're looking for a UI designer who can make 3D UIs.

If sony won't reveal VR at GDC now, it would be like not revealing the PS4 on the ps event last February. Seriously, this is too much buzz.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
EDIT: Zindagi Games' (the big Move people) website says they're making PS4 stuff, and they're looking for a UI designer who can make 3D UIs.

That would make sense.

VR sports could be very cool, but it might raise questions about 'stand-up-ability'. Or maybe they'd carefully choose sports that might be less likely to encourage standing up.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
That would make sense.

VR sports could be very cool, but it might raise questions about 'stand-up-ability'. Or maybe they'd carefully choose sports that might be less likely to encourage standing up.

Like Chess? :D

Kiddin aside, I think you are right. Also the cable going from headset to PS4 would limit your "stand-up-freedom" even in sports that do not involve too much moving around like golf or bowling.

Edit: Unless SCEA R&D somehow managed to make it wireless (which is super unlikely)

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Edit: Unless SCEA R&D somehow managed to make it wireless (which is super unlikely)

AFAIK there is actually now very, very low latency, uncompressed wireless video streaming tech available for 1080p/60 or even 1080p/120, within the same room. Like 1ms or lower.

But I'm not sure about the cost of it. I think it's mostly used in the professional space at the moment. The HMZ-T3 does use the wireless HD standard which advertises <1ms latency in some modes, but I don't know if anyone has quantified input latency in games using it, vs wired (?) And I actually wonder about the latency of wireless tracking data anyway.

Wireless would be brilliant but not holding my breath.

Things like table tennis could be fine seated ;) Or swimming :D

StuBurns

Banned
It'll be wired, wireless would be nice if they weren't targeting a seated experience, but they will.

I think if that studio are making a VR mini-game collection, I don't think it would be sports related.

I think the thing that would best demo VR would be some sort of theme park, or magical museum that transports you to places and times to walk around in.

doemaaan

It'll be wired, wireless would be nice if they weren't targeting a seated experience, but they will.

I think if that studio are making a VR mini-game collection, I don't think it would be sports related.

I think the thing that would best demo VR would be some sort of theme park, or magical museum that transports you to places and times to walk around in.

Yes and yes. The Tuscany demo comes to mind, but that was too small. Something like the Infinity Blade demo with a couple of player/world interactions would be sweet.

mitchman

Gold Member
I didn't calculate it at all, just quoted it.

PS4's HDMI is 1.4b

Pretty sure it's 1.4a. Remember that game company that couldn't do full HD 3D (Trine 2) due to restrictions with the PS4's HDMI output resolution in 3D? If it supported 1.4b, it would be able to do 3D in full HD (frame packing 3D format at 1080p60 per Eye). See http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-vs-trine-2-on-ps4 :

Right now the only drawback is that the game is stuck running in 720p on the PS4 when in this mode, so we get 720p at 60FPS displayed in 3D.

V_Ben

Banned
Like Chess? :D

Kiddin aside, I think you are right. Also the cable going from headset to PS4 would limit your "stand-up-freedom" even in sports that do not involve too much moving around like golf or bowling.

Boy if only there was a chip in the PS4 designed to send low latency video over small distances

StuBurns

Banned
Pretty sure it's 1.4a. Remember that game company that couldn't do full HD 3D (Rayman) due to restrictions with the PS4's HDMI output resolution in 3D? If it supported 1.4b, it would be able to do 3D in full HD (frame packing 3D format at 1080p60 per Eye).
I believe it's just a software side issue, Trine 2 devs said they could patch when Sony updates for support. A bit like it doesn't play 3D BRDs I guess.

Top Bottom