• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Eid ul-Adha might be on September 11th?(It's not.)

Status
Not open for further replies.
00EID1-articleLarge.jpg

Every year, Muslim leaders around the world look to the moon to predict the date for one of their most important holidays, Eid al-Adha — the feast of sacrifice.

When Habeeb Ahmed began about two months ago to plan for that holy day, he noticed a potentially fraught coincidence: Eid al-Adha could fall on Sept. 11.

“Some people might want to make something out of that,” said Mr. Ahmed, who was recently elected president of the Islamic Center of Long Island, adding that he could easily foresee how some might misunderstand the festivities, and say, “Look at these Muslims, they are celebrating 9/11.”

The potential for the holiday to fall on the 15th anniversary of the terrorist attacks has stirred apprehension among Muslims in New York City and across the country at a time when violent acts committed by religious extremists have provoked inflammatory political rhetoric and helped fuel a surge in hate crimes against Muslims.

In New York, the possibility of the holiday falling on Sept. 11 has intensified security concerns and fears already reverberating throughout the Muslim community after the killings of an imam and his assistant in Queens this month. For some, it also resurfaces memories of the backlash and the police surveillance directed at Muslims in the years after the attacks.

“Our community is like, ‘What are we supposed to do?’” Linda Sarsour, the executive director of the Arab American Association of New York, said. She said she had sat through extensive meetings with other leaders grappling with the possibility and how best to prepare for it.

“I should not have to think about that,” Ms. Sarsour said. “What am I supposed to tell my kids?”

Eid al-Adha honors the willingness of Ibrahim, or Abraham, to sacrifice his son Ishmael as an act of submission to God’s command. The holy day can also serve as an opportunity to honor the sacrifice of those who were killed on Sept. 11, 2001, said Abdul Bhuiyan, the secretary-general of the Majlis Ashura, the Islamic Leadership Council of New York.

“It’s a day of remembrance and observance,” Mr. Bhuiyan said.

The likelihood of this year’s Eid al-Adha landing on Sept. 11 is still unclear. Every year, the holiday takes place 10 days after the sighting of a new moon at the start of the month of Dhu al-Hijjah, according to the Islamic calendar. Exactly when the month begins depends on when a new moon is spotted, and the month is expected to start this year on Sept. 1 or 2.

please lock if old

http://nytimes.com/2016/08/29/nyreg...sept-11.html?partner=rss&emc=rss&_r=0&referer

Saudi arabia just announced Eid al-audha will be on september 12th by the way

Syriel

What an awful coincidence and ignorants will make far too much out of it.

There were a few high profile complaints (including a NBA team having to change a promotion) for the Chinese New Year because some Year of the Monkey items were thought to be insensitive due to potential racial connotations.

9/11 holds a heavy significance in the US. It wouldn't be surprising if people thought a public celebration on that date was anything from insensitive to offensive.

lunar calendar, its based upon seeing a full moon or not

A full moon can be predicted with accuracy. The orbit is known. The lunar calendar isn't reliant on someone physically seeing the moon. Otherwise you could miss a full moon if it was cloudy.

A full moon can be predicted with accuracy. The orbit is known. The lunar calendar isn't reliant on someone physically seeing the moon. Otherwise you could miss a full moon if it was cloudy.

This was my thought too; I'm going to have to have someone explain the uncertainty to me.

WWE backlash is on 9/11 too.

People can enjoy themselves whilst remembering those who died. 9/11 date doesn't mean you need to be locked indoors all day.

dabig2

Wait religions celebrate the day Abraham got trolled by god?

Yeah, it's the moment Abraham became the leading patriarch of the Abrahamic religions. It's why we call them Abrahamic religions. And yes, it's bronze age barbarian nonsense with absolutely zero morals that should be celebrated. I remember learning this in Sunday school and being horrified.

This was my thought too; I'm going to have to have someone explain the uncertainty to me.
Tradition, I'd imagine. Some believe that it should be based on a physical sighting and argue against a calculated time, apparently. Others argue for the opposite.

Wait religions celebrate the day Abraham got trolled by god?

It's understood as being a proof of the Mercy of God actually, that He is not a God who will ask us to kill our kids for Him.

It's seem pretty normal to think so, but in the time of Abraham, peace upon him, it was a pretty big deal. The Quranic narrative is pretty different from the Biblical narrative of this event. It's more about trusting on God mercy.

Anyways, to get back to the subject, it remind me when you had this crazy hoax about muslims celebrating 11/09 when a dry cleaning service closed because of the 10th of Muharram commemoration of Imam Hussein martyrdom.

faridmon

Its based on physical sighting. whether it can be predicted or not is not the issue.

It's understood as being a proof of the Mercy of God actually, that He is not a God who will ask us to kill our kids for Him.

This. It's weird to look back on, but the concept of a God who didn't want the blood of your firstborn/your finest goat/an infidel or pagan for tribute was a pretty novel thing in the old days.

Why we celebrate any of this stuff now is a bit tougher to rationalize... but hey, community is important, right?

This. It's weird to look back on, but the concept of a God who didn't want the blood of your firstborn/your finest goat/an infidel or pagan for tribute was a pretty novel thing in the old days.

Why we celebrate any of this stuff now is a bit tougher to rationalize... but hey, community is important, right?

Why not celebrate God mercy ? We are call to emulate the God's Mercy by sharing our food with a needy family and neighbour.

Only assholes will make a big deal out of this. So basically avoid conservative news sources and the type of ppl who follow it....

Eid Mubarak y'all

Predicting the Lunar cycle became easier now that lunar calendars became more reliable.
You can also know each country that will be able to see the moon and which won't be able to.

What remains are neighboring countries that can share the same calendar but decide to not to for political reasons 😂

Predicting the Lunar cycle became easier now that lunar calendars became more reliable.
You can also know each country that will be able to see the moon and which won't be able to.

What remains are neighboring countries that can share the same calendar but decide to not to for political reasons 😂

There is actually strong theological reason to support direct eye sighting, but it's true that some countries are using the issue as a political tool to be always the first country to announce the moon.

ThisGuy

Alternately, Americans could drop 9/11 as a sacred holiday and stop freaking out about stuff like this.

Calling 9/11 a sacred holiday seems shitty given what happened.

Anyways, on topic, Muslims were also victims on 9/11. It irks me that there's an us vs them narrative in regards to that tragic day. They should be able to practice in peace, but I'm sure Trump will be the ring leader over this.

Lamel

Banned
This shouldn't be a big deal, but I have a feeling it will be made into one. Hopefully nothing bad happens to anyone, as I can see some unhinged person attacking muslims for it.

NEO0MJ

Just in time for the opening of the ground zero mosque. I heard That our spiritual leader Barack Hussain Obama will be the Imam that day.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
lol this moon thing is so stupid. every year the saudis do their own things, the pakistanis see the moon whenever they please, the americans are mostly immigrants so you have the bosnians celebirating eid one day, the arabs following SA the day before and pakistanis/indians/bangladeshis the day after.

thankfully the eid ul azha falls the day after hajj which pretty much everyone has to follow but the first eid is a pain in the ass.

i also find it amusing that not one of the 1.6 billion muslims actually question Ibrahim's story. so you get a dream in which god tells you to sacrifice your son and you actually go and do it. are you serious? lol. im sure this is blasphemy and im going to hell for this but ive always wanted to get that off my chest.

Jumeira

Banned
Don't celebrate it then...

It's not that hard of a decision. I don't understand the dilemma. It looks self imposed.
Yeah should've known 1600 years ago there will be a diary clash in 2016. So Muslims should not celebrate and consider the feelings of racist. Are you this daft when you step away from your computer? That's pretty scary.

i also find it amusing that not one of the 1.6 billion muslims actually question Ibrahim's story. so you get a dream in which god tells you to sacrifice your son and you actually go and do it. are you serious? lol. im sure this is blasphemy and im going to hell for this but ive always wanted to get that off my chest.

The way i understand the story is that both Abraham and his son, peace upon them, knew that God will save them and it was a demonstration of the total trust in God (tawwakul).
It's why the son of Abraham is so okay with the situation in the quranic narrative.

There is nothing wrong in asking and finding thing unsatisfying. For al-Ghazali, it's actually the path to true faith ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom