• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Eid ul-Adha might be on September 11th?(It's not.)

Status
Not open for further replies.

score01

Man. I was all set for it to be on the 11th which was a Sunday. Had a last minute scramble to arrange leave from work for the 12th but got it sorted :)

i could totally see some people going like "look at those filthy muslims, they're celebrating 9/11!!!!".

good that we can now avoid that, 12 september is good too. better, actually. monday would be a better day for me.

vypek

Never heard of the day until I saw my calendar had it set for the 12th. Was wondering about it and saw the thread on GAF

This could get ugly. Hope this doesn't cause even more problems for American Muslims. Some cynical people will definitely use this as an opportunity to stir up shit.

Eid al-Adha honors the willingness of Ibrahim, or Abraham, to sacrifice his son Ishmael as an act of submission to God’s command.

I'm not really sure this is something that should be celebrated :/

Celebrate it on 9/11. Dont be afraid. You cant stop the calendar. Only racist ignorant fucks will have a problem with this. Expose and shame (bell rings) them. Shame! (Bell rings) etc ...

The fact these two events coincide is nothing but an unfortunate coincidence. Beyond that, there's no meaningful discussion to be had - at least none that wouldn't be tiresomely tangential to the original point.

So many unnecessary arguments in this thread.

JP_

Banned
the thing of importance is a muslim holiday, and the day and date in which it will fall is september 11th. you don't see how that could start a rileup?
Not the Muslims fault. Fault of people that don't understand the difference between Muslims as a whole and a few terrorists.

They should be careful as a practical precaution but they didn't do anything to deserve the hate they'll get.

Not the Muslims fault. Fault of people that don't understand the difference between Muslims as a whole and a few terrorists.

They should be careful as a practical precaution but they didn't do anything to deserve the hate they'll get.

i'm just stating a potential (and unfortunate) reality.

sirap

Guys, you are getting stirred up about nothing and without giving a situation the benefit of the doubt. This is Grade A persecution complex. Like, no one has said anything and you dudes are already boarding up your windows. Come on.

I suggest maybe wait? The sad irony is folks here are making more noise about it than the silent people they claim to be afraid of

Is this real life?

sirap

Many of us here don't get the point of the argument going around here that had Eid fallen on the 11th, there would be a backlash. Arguing about a hypothetical backlash is a mundane exercise.

In this past year alone, we've had more than a dozen threads about American muslims facing harassment and discrimination for simply existing. It might not be a big deal for you, but for many of us it is. This is the reality we're faced with on a daily basis all around the world.

No one's forcing you to participate. If you don't think this thread is worthy of your time, why post here at all?

Many of us here don't get the point of the argument going around here that had Eid fallen on the 11th, there would be a backlash. Arguing about a hypothetical backlash is a mundane exercise.
is it not different from that time 6 years ago when they tried building a masjid close to ground zero?

Ashes

Banned
Put simply, the fear was that Muslims would be harassed for celebrating Eid, because it happens to fall on September 11th. Underestimating ignorance is a fool's errand, especially the climate Muslims are facing in the US.

Having said that this is all a moot point now, because Eid is now going to be on September 12th.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom