• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Eidos Montreal unveils new engine: Dawn Engine (based on IO's Glacier 2)

TheMoon

Hitman: Absolution? As in the game with segregated hubs per assassination? That's worse than linear titles. Past Hitman games gave you 1 AREA (aside from H1's drug lord mission). I'd like to see no more loading spaces in between assassinations all meant to be pursued in 1 mission .

I have no doubts on their "graphics" upgrade capabilities but I'm seriously doubting they can pull off actual good AI.

You read the part where it said "heavily modified," right?

dr_rus

If that's the best screenshot they can give us from that engine then color me unimpressed for now.

DOWN

Banned
Am I the only one who thinks this looks less than cutting edge?

After seeing Unity, Uncharted 4, The Order, etc. This shot, especially with the grain, reminds me of the dated look Human Revolution had. And nobody really touted Absolution as a graphical leader on Glacier 2.

Interiors on Unity look tons better and those have been player captured.

EDIT: Okay, so it isn't just me.
If that's the best screenshot they can give us from that engine then color me unimpressed for now.

vrln

Neo Member
Looks very nice and above all very suited for the art direction. Human Revolution was my game of the year back then. Solid first effort for a new team with only the boss battles being a weak link (and those were outsourced!). Much better than Invisible War for example. Now with a solid production cycle things are looking good for this fine studio :) Day one purchase after how good Human Revolution turned out.

This time I hope they take even more influence from the original Deus Ex, my favourite game of all time.

UrbanRats

Yes... Hitman Absolution turned out just fine! :)

? It had game design problems, but many games do.
Sounds like confirmation bias, if you single it out like that.

I don't remember any problem it had, directly related to the tech (infact, it was the best thing about it).

Denton

Absolution looks absolutely nextgen on PC already. If they will use Glacier/Dawn for all their future games that should be awesome news.

I want Deus Ex 4 and Hitman 6 details dammit :(

DirtyCase

People said the same thing about Deus Ex HR when it was shown, look how that turned out. Graphics don't make a game, the art direction and world that is created also play a significant role in that.

I'm personally happy with the huge graphical upgrade from HR to this.

? It had game design problems, but many games do.
Sounds like confirmation bias, if you single it out like that.

I don't remember any problem it had, directly related to the tech (infact, it was the best thing about it).

Yeah, say what you will about the gameplay systems in absolution, but the game was pretty as all get out. Maybe not best in class, but it was no slouch.

Man I kept reading it as Ubisoft Montreal for some reason, it wasn't until I scrolled down to the bottom that it hit me this wasn't about Ubisoft. Because I was so confused since they just AC:U on their new engine. Most likely because when I'm on gaming side, I automatically associate anything Montreal with Ubisoft.

I know this will sound strange/ironic but I think Epic should push UE4 in Japan.

Aren't they already?

People said the same thing about Deus Ex HR when it was shown, look how that turned out. Graphics don't make a game, the art direction and world that is created also play a significant role in that.

I'm personally happy with the huge graphical upgrade from HR to this.

I'm satisfied with the screenshot also. Truthfully, boundary-pushing graphics aren't as important to me as much as having a larger, more open world in which to interact.

I know this will sound strange/ironic but I think Epic should push UE4 in Japan.

The West is capable of making their own engines for next gen. Japan can barely keep up.

Well Scalebound and KH3 are all ready using UE4 which are two pretty high profile games. I expect more to follow honestly.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
Hey remember how things turned out the last two times Square Enix announced engine tech and put it front and center ahead of their games? I'm sure it couldn't possibly happen again!

SE Western =/= SE Japan.

Comeon duckroll, stay on the ball :p

Eidos and Crystal dynamics always do good work it seems of SE's western studios

3bdelilah

Banned
DAMMIT! I got way too exited after reading "Eidos Montreal unveils....". Ah well, at least the picture screams Deus Ex, so hopefully we'll get an announcement. :)

Braag

Give me a new Deus Ex with this engine.
And keep useless online features and microtransactions away from it.

And nobody really touted Absolution as a graphical leader on Glacier 2.

Bald head leader
9b8790191515738d18176118ca40c667da845e09.jpg

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
The Glacier 2 engine looks amazing. This image doesn't do the engine justice.

Well, you see, the implication of this announcement is that instead of using the same engine as IO Interactive and getting all the updates they make to it, they split out a separate branch, so each team develops new features and they don't get a shared benefit.

This is unlike EA with Frostbite, or Rockstar with RAGE, or Warner with their UE3 variant (Arkham, Mortal Kombat, and Warner Montreal all share the same build), where every updates benefits all projects on the engine.

It's the easiest way to share technology at one point and then not get any of the ongoing benefits of doing so. In unrelated news, Square Enix's CTO and their Worldwide Technology Director left for some reason.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
I mean as in a huge marketing push to get all Japanese developers to embrace it instead of those who volunteered to use it.

Maybe they're doing it already, I dunno.

Namco bandai should really get all their devs on UE4. To see Tales on that engine....

In any case, it would help the transition to PS4 much easier than trying to upport their current engine that isn't especially good for much besides 60fps battles

Interfectum

Well, you see, the implication of this announcement is that instead of using the same engine as IO Interactive and getting all the updates they make to it, they split out a separate branch, so each team develops new features and they don't get a shared benefit.

This is unlike EA with Frostbite, or Rockstar with RAGE, or Warner with their UE3 variant (Arkham, Mortal Kombat, and Warner Montreal all share the same build), where every updates benefits all projects on the engine.

It's the easiest way to share technology at one point and then not get any of the ongoing benefits of doing so. In unrelated news, Square Enix's CTO and their Worldwide Technology Director left for some reason.

Heh, that would explain it.

Can not wait for a new Deus Ex. Human Revolution was one of my favorite games of last gen, the idea of a new one that looks this pretty is.....quite appealing.

shark sandwich

tenuously links anime, pedophile and incels
I hear this engine is capable of more shades of yellow than any others before it. Truly cutting edge.

Looking good, I hope the second batch of games for the new consoles deliver, because there are not a lot of games that have surprised me graphically.

Top Bottom