• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Eidos Montreal unveils new engine: Dawn Engine (based on IO's Glacier 2)

GavinUK86

This is most likely the case and I don't believe Jensens story is finished. Missing Link DLC more or less will have him alive for the next game. I believe Adam Jensen and Frances will be in the next game and continue the rise of Bob Page and other events that lead to the first Deus Ex game. We've still not seen the NYC disaster yet with the Statue of Liberty and UNATCO.

The Missing Link DLC was set in the middle of the main game. In my game
Jensen died at the end

DOWN

Banned
EDIT: Yeah, this ^

This is most likely the case and I don't believe Jensens story is finished. Missing Link DLC more or less will have him alive for the next game. I believe Adam Jensen and Frances will be in the next game and continue the rise of Bob Page and other events that lead to the first Deus Ex game. We've still not seen the NYC disaster yet with the Statue of Liberty and UNATCO.

Missing Link takes place during Human Revolution, not at the end. The end allows Jensen to
live or die, depending on
player choice.

I'm a little baffled by people saying this image or Glacier 2 look amazing. Never looked like a graphical leader to me. Not even cutting edge with its competitors. This image solidifies that view to me.

Can someone point me to some impressive Glacier 2 images?

Have you played Absolution on PC? It's pretty.

12161178806_e466399f2a_o.png

12160522115_0608345f89_o.png

iSn5YBOxtp3zK.png

15333535303_7492b3e8b3_o.png

I really doubt that the next Deus Ex game will feature Jensen. For one thing, it would be a strange deviation from the previous three Deus Ex games, where you played as a different (but genetically related) character each time.
Also, one of the endings leads to Jensen's death. I don't think they would retcon this, because choosing that ending is important because you know it will kill you. Changing that retroactively would do a great injustice to that choice.

DOWN

Banned
Have you played Absolution on PC? It's pretty.

Seen it before. It's satisfying, but definitely wasn't and isn't near the top graphically.

There's nothing in those shots visually to justify them making their own engine, in my opinion.

Strange that they wouldn't just stick with Unreal. I know they switched to it for Thief, so I assumed it would be adopted studio-wide. But as long as the gameplay is as good as Human Revolution's was, I don't much care which engine they use.

Thief was a flawed but good game.
Come at me, breh.

Thief was a boringly mediocre game stripped of any and all emergent gameplay aspects that makes thieving fun with a story that couldn't decide if it was a sequel, remake or reboot so mushed all three in the worst possible way.

Hitman felt 100x more Hitman-like than Thief does Thief-like. For Hitman, they fundamentally changed one gameplay mechanic (Costume mechanic: I think it has its own positives and negatives. The problem with the old way was you didn't really have much feedback on your disguise. So sometimes walking at the right angle could trigger guards and you weren't sure why or what went wrong. The new way way solves that problem but just in a simpler way and worse way. It does suck, but you have to acknowledge the attempt at tackling that problem). For Thief, they changed the whole design philosophy that made that game what it is.

D

Deleted member 102362

Unconfirmed Member
If I go behind the light sculpture in that screenshot, will I find a weapon upgrade and some cash?

Thief was a boringly mediocre game stripped of any and all emergent gameplay aspects that makes thieving fun with a story that couldn't decide if it was a sequel, remake or reboot so mushed all three in the worst possible way.
Well, I should mention out of the gate that I haven't played The Dark Project or The Metal Age. I played some of Deadly Shadows, but my memories of it are hazy. So I went into the new Thief without much concern for the authenticity of the experience, or the legacy of the series. (I can totally understand why someone would care deeply about those things, I'm just not one of them.) I was more concerned with a single question: "Is this a good stealth game?" And it was. It clearly conveyed when you were hidden, when you were visible, and when you were in that guard-is-suspicious-but-maybe-it-was-just-a-rat mode. It was good at giving you a window of opportunity, when caught, to run away or knock out a guard. It would happily murder you if you tried to play it like an action game. The traps and first-person animations were nice touches, too. But the game was definitely flawed. There were serious audio bugs, occasional AI bugs, hyper-compressed cut scenes, and the story broke down near the end. There was, as you said, no real emergent gameplay; while I would have enjoyed that, I wasn't going in with the expectation that it would be there.
Hitman felt 100x more Hitman-like than Thief does Thief-like. For Hitman, they fundamentally changed one gameplay mechanic (Costume mechanic: I think it has its own positives and negatives. The problem with the old way was you didn't really have much feedback on your disguise. So sometimes walking at the right angle could trigger guards and you weren't sure why or what went wrong. The new way way solves that problem but just in a simpler way and worse way. It does suck, but you have to acknowledge the attempt at tackling that problem).
I'm a Hitman aficionado, but I haven't played more than an hour or so of Absolution. I find it very hard to get into, for some reason; I'll eventually try again.

DOWN

Banned
After seeing this deus ex inspired level I was hoping for Unreal Engine 4

Yeah, this looks better than the OP screenshot so I don't get why they are making their own engine. There's something a bit flat looking about that Dawn Engine shot, which is concerning since that's the press bullshot.

Some of my screenshots of when I played it (GTX 670). It was one of the best looking games in 2012 IMO.

EDIT: Just as some info- These are not @ Max settings.

2012-11-25_00002.jpg

2012-11-24_00025.jpg

2012-11-24_00021.jpg

2012-11-24_00016.jpg

2012-11-24_00006.jpg

2012-11-21_00003.jpg

2012-11-24_00005.jpg

2012-11-20_00003.jpg

Z

ZombieFred

Unconfirmed Member
The Missing Link DLC was set in the middle of the main game. In my game
Jensen died at the end

If you listen to the comment at the end with the talking and the agent
they know where he will be in the end to pick him up on whatever choice you make. It's a clever way of them to choose an ending, or mixing some of it how it plays up for a canonical choice, and it's resolves on whatever happens because they can spin some of the narrative of what occurs for setting the next game
. I feel confident enough saying I will eat my own hat if this was the end of Jensens story :p

DOWN

Banned
Some of my screenshots of when I played it (GTX 670). It was one of the best looking games in 2012 IMO

[IG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v158/way2funny_2001/hitman/2012-11-25_00002.jpg[/IMG]
[IG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v158/way2funny_2001/hitman/2012-11-24_00025.jpg[/IMG]
[IG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v158/way2funny_2001/hitman/2012-11-24_00021.jpg[/IMG]
[IG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v158/way2funny_2001/hitman/2012-11-24_00016.jpg[/IMG]
[IG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v158/way2funny_2001/hitman/2012-11-24_00006.jpg[/IMG]
[IG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v158/way2funny_2001/hitman/2012-11-21_00003.jpg[/IMG]
2012-11-24_00005.jpg

[IG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v158/way2funny_2001/hitman/2012-11-20_00003.jpg[/IMG]

Oh snap. The cornfield was good.

I think artistically, Hitman was fantastic. I like the concept art for the newest one, too.

Parsnip

It's weird seeing people be unimpressed by how Hitman 5 looked. Like, did we even play the same game? It was gorgeous.

Well, I should mention out of the gate that I haven't played the The Dark Project or The Metal Age. I played some of Deadly Shadows, but my memories of it are hazy. So I went into the new Thief without much concern for the authenticity of the experience, or the legacy of the series. (I can totally understand why someone would care deeply about those things, I'm just not one of them.) I was more concerned with a single question: "Is this a good stealth game?" And it was. It clearly conveyed when you were hidden, when you were visible, and when you were in that guard-is-suspicious-but-maybe-it-was-just-a-rat mode. It was good at giving you a window of opportunity, when caught, to run away or knock out a guard. It would happily murder you if you tried to play it like an action game. The traps and first-person animations were nice touches, too. But the game was definitely flawed. There were serious audio bugs, occasional AI bugs, hyper-compressed cut scenes, and the story broke down near the end. There was, as you said, no real emergent gameplay; while I would have enjoyed that, I wasn't going in with the expectation that it would be there.

So in terms of "is it a good stealth game" I think it was just okay. I certainly don't think it was bad, but I am not convinced it was that good either. My biggest problem is that instead of giving you an organic level that you can explore on your own terms, you had to do what the developers placed. For example, you could only climb / mantle only on places that the developers intended. If you see a place that seems like you can easily climb to- you can't because it wasn't designed for that. This was not true for the old Thief games since they gave you the ability to climb / mantle at any time. The biggest glaring issue is the rope arrows. In the old Thief games, you can use the rope arrows on any wooden surface. All these little things added up to a very unique experience for every player and countless different creative ways to tackle objectives.

This is unfortunately not true of the new Thief and leaves little reason to replay it. I understand why it is not a bad game. I don't think its a good game either, but I do think it is a very bad Thief game.

Funny thing, I actually hate the 'loot' animations in the game. The first couple times I thought it was really cool. But then when I had to watch the same 2-5 second animation for every piece of loot I saw.. it became tiresome and wish I could just disable it all together. It added so much unnecessary game time. This is obviously a minor annoyance but it is interesting to read that people actually enjoyed it. When I do read about that, I also wonder how long they've played it and if they tried to get every piece of loot they can see.

I'm a Hitman aficionado, but I haven't played more than an hour or so of Absolution. I find it very hard to get into, for some reason; I'll eventually try again.

This differs from Hitman for several reasons. Hitman has two big issues: The costume system and level design. The costume system I think is both bad and good for the following reasons: it gives some needed transparency that previous games didn't supply, but it oversimplified the mechanic and it lost depth. I think moving forward, the best thing to do is make some sort of a hybrid approach to costumes (like 60% old way, 40% new way) so that it retains its depth while still providing some mechanical transparency.

The other issue is the level design. There were way too many levels that had you running away. While I don't think the premise was bad, its just that they were done in a 'non hitman' way. For example, the first level in Contracts has you avoiding a SWAT team. You can play that level and the run away levels in Absolution to see the difference in execution. The other issue was that the levels were smaller / broken up into segments. This wasn't as terrible as everyone says, but the combination of everything exaggerated this issue.

Overall, certain levels did intact flesh out the authentic Hitman experience. Those levels were just few and far between. That is why I say and I stick to, Absolution still felt like a Hitman game.

GavinUK86

If you listen to the comment at the end with the talking and the agent
they know where he will be in the end to pick him up on whatever choice you make. It's a clever way of them to choose an ending, or mixing some of it how it plays up for a canonical choice, and it's resolves on whatever happens because they can spin some of the narrative of what occurs for setting the next game
. I feel confident enough saying I will eat my own hat if this was the end of Jensens story :p
I feel that Human Revolution was the end of Jensen's story. I don't think we'll play as him again hence the "Universe" title they keep saying. Different characters, different locations, same universe.

DOWN

Banned
I feel that Human Revolution was the end of Adams story. I don't think we'll play as him again hence the "Universe" title they keep saying. Different characters, different locations, same universe.

:( I hope not. I think Universe means they are going to turn the 2027 era into a connected lore via different media. Like they've already done with the novel and The Fall tying in.

I loved Jensen.

rdrr gnr

Where's the line between style and just throwing a filter onto something. I feel like this game might land on the wrong side of it.

But then when I had to watch the same 2-5 second animation for every piece of loot I saw.. it became tiresome and wish I could just disable it all together. It added so much unnecessary game time. This is obviously a minor annoyance but it is interesting to read that people actually enjoyed it. When I do read about that, I also wonder how long they've played it and if they tried to get every piece of loot they can see.
I'm a completionist most of the time. I played Thief very thoroughly. The animations didn't annoy me. Almost all of them are under a second in length. The only ones that take longer are the screwdriver and vent animations, and the "custom loot" ones where Garrett admires something particularly valuable (but you can cancel those by dashing).

Top Bottom