• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Elon Musk's Tesla and SpaceX oppose Trump immigration order

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tovarisc

Elon Musk's Tesla Inc and SpaceX on Monday joined a legal brief filed by businesses opposed to President Donald Trump's order restricting immigration from seven Muslim-majority countries, according to a court filing.

Musk agreed to become part of Trump's business advisory council in December, and has advocated discussing issues directly with the president. Uber chief executive Travis Kalanick quit the council last week amid mounting pressure over Trump's immigration policies.

http://www.reuters.com/article/us-u...=topNews&utm_source=twitter&utm_medium=Social

Elchele

There's very little to be gain from telling Trump to fuck off, if you are Elon Musk. He can do much better if he has a voice inside the government.

This is good, but wasn't his plan to change the system from the inside? In that case why get Trump on your bad side, it just makes Trump more likely to push him out. Then again, maybe he has come to the conclusion his previous plan will no longer work.

gcubed

There's very little to be gain from telling Trump to fuck off, if you are Elon Musk. He can do much better if he has a voice inside the government.

the fact that anyone believes he has a voice inside the government is being laughingly ignorant. He has no voice and is neutered, but he can make sure his SpaceX contracts stay around!

Zaph

Elon Musk is an incredible visionary, but this was pathetic. When everyone immediately pushed back against Trump, he was far too quick to play the privileged, insulated pragmatist who thinks there's no point fighting it because Trump won't change his mind and instead we should offer suggestions to work with him.

Meanwhile the protestors and courts showed him up for the convenient defeatist he is. At the very least he should know better given his nationality.

SerTapTap

The amicus brief with all of these tech companies was literally drafted in the past few days...I think we forget that the immigration order was only a little over a week ago

When something is this uniquely and horrifically offensive and ill-advised, it shouldn't take much longer than it takes your phone to say "hey, nah, that's fucked up. You fucked it." plus the time it takes to word that however politely you may choose to say so.

KHarvey16

Elon Musk is an incredible visionary, but this was pathetic. When everyone immediately pushed back against Trump, he was far too quick to play the privileged, insulated pragmatist who thinks there's no point fighting it because Trump won't change his mind and instead we should offer suggestions to work with him.

Meanwhile the protestors and courts showed him up for the convenient defeatist he is. At the very least he should know better given his nationality.

Where did he respond?

Took him long enough? He probably felt too rushed. Look at the fun and fancy parties he was invited to. Now that's probably gonna end.

w2wpfwuk0srbgcf1hcpu.jpg

kqjsdewmgjlz4ud4cldy.jpg

gwaulqm5q4mbkz25kyus.jpg

Where did he respond?

In December, I agreed to join the Presidential Advisory Forum to provide feedback on issues that I think are important for our country and the world. In tomorrow’s meeting, I and others will express our objections to the recent executive order on immigration and offer suggestions for changes to the policy.

Advisory councils simply provide advice and attending does not mean that I agree with actions by the Administration. My goals are to accelerate the world’s transition to sustainable energy and to help make humanity a multi-planet civilization, a consequence of which will be the creation of hundreds of thousands of jobs and a more inspiring future for all. I understand the perspective of those who object to my attending this meeting, but I believe at this time that engaging on critical issues will on balance serve the greater good.

https://techcrunch.com/2017/02/02/e...ion-order-at-friday-advisory-council-meeting/

He also went on twitter a few days ago adding more to it.

At my request, the agenda for yesterday's White House meeting went from not mentioning the travel ban to having it be first and foremost

In addition, I again raised climate. I believe this is doing good, so will remain on council & keep at it. Doing otherwise would be wrong.

http://www.recode.net/2017/2/4/14508874/elon-musk-trump-business-council-twitter-tesla-spacex

It seems like being a white male in a dark or black suit is the dress code for the empire now. The tie colors are hidden signals of rank.

In addition, I again raised climate. I believe this is doing good, so will remain on council & keep at it. Doing otherwise would be wrong.

This is an interesting idea
Are his efforts to raise issues to ears that are not listening really worth what he is very clearly supplying to a embattled administration in geek credibility.

I say .. no. I think it's a shitty deal for him and us and a great deal for trump.

kmax

It's a Steve Bannon show. To have a chance to influence anything, you need to suck up to this guy.

Pretty telling that he at least gave them a chance.

It's a fallacy to think Trump will listen to anyone's voice. These things are all a dog and pony show to make it look like he's listening.

KHarvey16

Zaph

I mean...that seems pretty good? It's not like has has to rally tesla customers to the cause so the direct access is pretty useful. All of this combined with filing the brief seems pretty thorough.
Read through his Twitter last two weeks telling people there is no point fighting something Trump won't change his mind on. The speed of that appeasement is sketchy af

Izuna

Banned
Finally

Now is there anyone else I used to respect before they supported Trump what are worth shit? No one?

Charcoal

I wonder how many people on gaf realize that both of his businesses, Tesla and SpaceX, rely heavily on money from the government. IMO, him saying anything is admirable given the aforementioned, as well as his current entanglement with Donnie.

Musk is a pretty garbage person anyway. im not surprised it took this long

All the tech leaders have to compromise their morals while there was the vain hope trump might not do what he said he would do. the test of them is how quickly they grow a pair and stop hedging their bets and stop lending their credibility.
Verizon Comcast and att are going to be the last rats off this ship I guarantee it.

Dopus

Banned
He doesn't support him, he just wanted to lick his balls to not be on Trump's shitlist.

I don't even know what that means. Something Hawaii? Are you saying it won't be reinstated today, but instead tomorrow?

Finally

Now is there anyone else I used to respect before they supported Trump what are worth shit? No one?

Musk is a pretty garbage person anyway. im not surprised it took this long

Doesn't Musk support Trump? Or was that just bogus?

Why so late

d1d858fc4c064cffa1c9eee235a636a1.png

Tovarisc

I don't even know what that means. Something Hawaii? Are you saying it won't be reinstated today, but instead tomorrow?

"Three federal judges Tuesday evening will hear oral arguments in the challenge to President Donald Trump's executive order on immigration.

The hour-long hearing, conducted by telephone among three West coast judges at 6 p.m. ET, will determine the immediate fate of the nationwide temporary restraining order against Trump's travel ban."

http://edition.cnn.com/2017/02/06/p....html?adkey=bn1143PMStoryLink&linkId=34195673

Why you are so sure they will rule for administration?

theWB27

"Three federal judges Tuesday evening will hear oral arguments in the challenge to President Donald Trump's executive order on immigration.

The hour-long hearing, conducted by telephone among three West coast judges at 6 p.m. ET, will determine the immediate fate of the nationwide temporary restraining order against Trump's travel ban."

http://edition.cnn.com/2017/02/06/p....html?adkey=bn1143PMStoryLink&linkId=34195673

Why you are so sure they will rule for administration?

Gutek thinks it's all burning down

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom