• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Elon Musk's Tesla and SpaceX oppose Trump immigration order

Status
Not open for further replies.

E-Cat

i can fight as many battles as i want.
Whatever your personal nitpicks are with Musk, he's ushering us into the electric car/electric jet/solar/space-faring civ/supersonic vacuum tube/tunnel/open AI/neural lace era. I don't care if he's the world's biggest douchebag.

Isn't it great? The greatest champion of alternative energy sources the world has ever seen. Not good enough!

while profiting off the backs of workers he treats terribly, anti-union, divorces 3 times before 40, calling his first wife (with 6 kids) a 'starter wife', stumbled into money after already having daddy's money.

Whatever your personal nitpicks are with Musk, he's ushering us into the electric car/electric jet/solar/space-faring civ/supersonic vacuum tube/tunnel/open AI/neural lace era. I don't care if he's the world's biggest douchebag.

okay so he's had what 2 ventures based on public funding that are marginally successful, and everything else is hot air. Everything else is just hot air and it's sad people gobble it up like you have.

KHarvey16

It should matter when he stays at the table of an ever more fascist regime. Saving face this far out is not a good look.

He's been against the ban since it came out. He forced the ban onto the agenda in the first meeting they had after it was put in place. If we have to choose, we should all want him to both be on that council voicing his concerns along with posting about it like has has been.

The amicus brief was filed Monday morning and Elon Musk pledged his support late Monday evening?

#uninstallTesla
I am a little disappointed that tech companies are making general statements restricted to such a narrow area. Because hey have massive self-interest here they can't compete globally if they can't fill positions with Indian and other comp.sci and math phds on h1bs.

So while it's good, it's not going to go down as particularly heroic. Their legal brief is going to be this: you are doing something that is costly for us, stop.

What would better is if they took more of a defense of democracy, rule of law, freedom of the press and science not twisted by ideology type stand.

They can still file whatever legally makes sense but they can stand up and say this guy is attempting to impose an autocracy from the inside, and they won't support him in any way shape or form, immigration policy or not.

E-Cat

It should matter when he stayed at the table of an ever more fascist regime. Saving face this far out is not a good look and he deserves to be criticized over it.
If you think this is Elon saving face, then you don't really know the man. This is not about ego--it's about making progress. Even with this administration there are win/lose scenarios for Tesla and SpaceX.

Dopus

Banned
while profiting off the backs of workers he treats terribly, anti-union, divorces 3 times before 40, calling his first wife (with 6 kids) a 'starter wife', stumbled into money after already having daddy's money.

okay so he's had what 2 ventures based on public funding that are marginally successful, and everything else is hot air. Everything else is just hot air and it's sad people gobble it up like you have.

It sounds like you have more of a problem with capitalism than him. Which I'm all for.

KHarvey16

kay.

sorry i don't think a man with an ivy league degree bought with daddy's money means he's techno jesus.

You and others like you are a shortsighted liability to the progressive cause. Look at the changes this guy is forcing. You don't like that he had money? I can't possibly roll my eyes far enough.

It should matter when he stayed at the table of an ever more fascist regime. Saving face this far out is not a good look and he deserves to be criticized over it.

I literally can't see a single benefit of him "leaving the table”.

Both his main companies are most impressive for what they're doing to the industries in which they reside rather than how successful they are in a financial sense.

Edit: I also don't think it would be possible for me to give less of a shit about his sex life and I have no idea why you seem to.

Except that he's using that seat at the table to try to help. It would be worse if he just gave up and stopped being one of the few voices of opposition they actually sit down and seriously discuss topics with.

Do you want all the reasonable people to go away and give the administration nothing but "yes men" as council?

mf.luder

You sound like a business partner that got shafted in stock deals or something. Pretty aded.

Either that or you work for Faraday Future.

It sounds like you have more of a problem with capitalism than him. Which I'm all for.

well, yes. he's just another cancerous appendage.

You and others like you are a shortsighted liability to the progressive cause. Look at the changes this guy is forcing. You don't like that he had money? I can't possibly roll my eyes far enough.

oh please fuck off with this progressive causes bullshit. dude treats his workers like shit and doesn't let them unionize.

Both his main companies are most impressive for what they're doing to the industries in which they reside rather than how successful they are in a financial sense.

Edit: I also don't think it would be possible for me to give less of a shit about his sex life and I have no idea why you seem to.

so space x could have and has been done at NASA for the last 50 years..

and i dont care about his sex life? i just mentioned he cheated on his wife (with whom he had 6 kids) and called her a starter wife..

E-Cat

Tesla paid back its debt to the government ahead of schedule. They are no longer beholden to anyone. And they alone jumpstarted the electric car industry after the losers at Chevy almost killed it in the 90s. And look, now they're coming out with the Bolt!

Competing with national governments in the space race is how you define marginally successful? Wow, what a blowhard!

As for his other ventures, it is way too early to make calls about those yet. What matters is, he's had unimaginable success, but continues to try to make a positive difference in the world.

KHarvey16

well, yes. he's just another cancerous appendage.

oh please fuck off with this progressive causes bullshit. dude treats his workers like shit and doesn't let them unionize.

If we're looking for someone spouting bullshit that they need to fuck off with I have a better candidate in mind.

Slayven

Don't trust no Silcon Valley person to do anything but better their own bottom line. Maybe if they have a hobby like being scared of AI or building model rockets. But if you are brown or a woman, you are on your own.

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
Except that he's using that seat at the table to try to help. It would be worse if he just gave up and stopped being one of the few voices of opposition they actually sit down and seriously discuss topics with.

Do you want all the reasonable people to go away and give the administration nothing but "yes men" as council?

If you think this is Elon saving face, then you don't really know the man. This is not about ego--it's about making progress. Even with this administration there are win/lose scenarios for Tesla and SpaceX.

He's been against the ban since it came out. He forced the ban onto the agenda in the first meeting they had after it was put in place. If we have to choose, we should all want him to both be on that council voicing his concerns along with posting about it like has has been.

Honestly I dont see altruism here, I see another CEO that wanted the presidents ear. The way the Muslim ban rolled out, and literally everything else about the administration should have thrown up red flags. I mean Trump is willing to knock out his own staff members if they're not part of his solution. I'm sure Musk is smart enough to see his input will have next to little value.

Honestly I dont see altruism here, I see another CEO that wanted the presidents ear. The way the Muslim ban rolled out, and literally everything else about the administration should have thrown up red flags. I mean Trump is willing to knock out his own staff members if they're not part of his solution. I'm sure Musk is smart enough to see his input will have next to little value.

According to him, the ban was brought up in the press briefing because of his input

Servbot24

Banned

You are comparing the positive of perhaps literally saving the world to the negative of him having rocky personal relationships and having money in his family. You're gonna have a tough time winning people over with that approach.

KHarvey16

How does he help more by walking away?

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick

By joining the opposition. The olive branch approach has been an ongoing tactic, trying to meet in the middle and we're still dealing with a disastrous administration. If Trumps past way of working with celebrities, and known entities are any indication, Musks true worth to Trump is a big name that he can point to that still standing with him in some form. Everyone should be diatancing themselves from this administration, because all this says to me is that the theoretical line for Musk hasnt been crossed yet.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Musk is doing the right thing. Trump will remain president until impeach, quits, or isn't re-elected in 2020. If more people tried to advise Trump eventually he would have to make decisions that go against those of his administration, or those of those external advisers. Without them, there's nothing to lose from following Bannon's and co., because everyone else is an outsider and an enemy to his administration as a result.

Whether it will work or not, it's the right thing to do.

Read the Putin takeover of russia.

Stick around to "help from the inside" and all you do is accelerate the corrosion on the free press, on the courts, and on the opposition party. You also get to live comfortably at the table of the despot.

I think the confusion comes from thinking that the trump administration is trying to do the right thing. They are not, they are trying to turn everything upside down. So by staying and 'helping' you are assisting them. Even if you stand your ground on a single issue, your face and your company credibility is on the side of Trump.

Of course if you think Trump is going to pivot, to be, say, a Bush or a Reagan fiscally conservative, tough on Russia, traditional republican party, then you might take the position that these guys should let themselves be used as props.

a916

Took him long enough? He probably felt too rushed. Look at the fun and fancy parties he was invited to. Now that's probably gonna end.

w2wpfwuk0srbgcf1hcpu.jpg

kqjsdewmgjlz4ud4cldy.jpg

gwaulqm5q4mbkz25kyus.jpg

Now we're pretending we know what they're talking about from static pictures and reading their minds... okay.

Elon Musk is an incredible visionary, but this was pathetic. When everyone immediately pushed back against Trump, he was far too quick to play the privileged, insulated pragmatist who thinks there's no point fighting it because Trump won't change his mind and instead we should offer suggestions to work with him.

Meanwhile the protestors and courts showed him up for the convenient defeatist he is. At the very least he should know better given his nationality.

You really think there's absolutely no merit to the idea that maybe he could do some good by direct negotiation instead of voluntarily pulling away from the table outright? Keep in mind too, this eo only went out a week ago.

Razorback

I was under the impression that Musk started from basically nothing. There's stories of him sleeping at the office and living for a month on 1$ a day eating oranges and hot dogs.

I've looked but can't find any info regarding him already starting out with a lot of money.

KHarvey16

By joining the opposition. The olive branch approach has been an ongoing tactic, trying to meet in the middle and we're still dealing with a disastrous administration. If Trumps past way of working with celebrities, and known entities are any indication, Musks true worth to Trump is a big name that he can point to that still standing with him in some form. Everyone should be diatancing themselves from this administration, because all this says to me is that the theoretical line for Musk hasnt been crossed yet.

You say that like it's mutually exclusive. He just filed an amicus brief. That is the opposition. He doesn't have to give up his seat at the table to do that. I see nothing good coming from walking away whatsoever.

Read the Putin takeover of russia.

Stick around to "help from the inside" and all you do is accelerate the corrosion on the free press, on the courts, and on the opposition party. You also get to live comfortably at the table of the despot.

I think the confusion comes from thinking that the trump administration is trying to do the right thing. They are not, they are trying to turn everything upside down. So by staying and 'helping' you are assisting them. Even if you stand your ground on a single issue, your face and your company credibility is on the side of Trump.

Of course if you think Trump is going to pivot, to be, say, a Bush or a Reagan fiscally conservative, tough on Russia, traditional republican party, then you might take the position that these guys should let themselves be used as props.

This attitude is less than useless. I'm so tired of this defeatist, cynical bullshit. Everything is lost and anyone who doesn't think so is a puppet. Trying to help in a way that suggests hope? Fuck you, enabler!

Your technological progress means nothing in a world where discrimination, bigotry and racism still exist. Musk wants to change the world through technology? Start by making sure your work and the effects of it can actually be experienced or used by everyone. Can't do that when you appease evil scumbags like Trump and Bannon who want nothing but to hold back social progress of humanity and purposefully create chaos and tension.

I'm a technologist and as great and beneficial as technology can be to humanity, it means nothing if social progress does not progress. Innovation is stifled without inclusiveness and the true purpose of that technology will never be realized if discrimination and bigotry get in the way of it becoming mainstream.

KHarvey16

Your technological progress means nothing in a world where discrimination, bigotry and racism still exist. Musk wants to change the world through technology? Start by making sure your work and the effects of it can actually be experienced or used by everyone. Can't do that when you appease evil scumbags like Trump and Bannon who want nothing but to hold back social progress of humanity and purposefully create chaos and tension.

I'm a technologist and as great and beneficial as technology can be to humanity, it means nothing if social progress does not progress. Innovation is stifled without inclusiveness and the true purpose of that technology will never be realized if discrimination and bigotry get in the way of it becoming mainstream.

False dichotomy.

Kyuur

Iirc this only really affects Tesla to begin with; Elon was challenged about not hiring global workers for SpaceX in a Q&A a while ago and said that it was essentially impossible due to contract restrictions in that area.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom