• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Emily Rogers: NX Not Using x86 Architecture - Won't Blow Away Current Gen Consoles

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ridley327

Only good thing from that other thread was the rumors of the handheld being stronger than we figured. Console not being x86, doesnt that make ports harder now?

Not necessarily, but Nintendo hasn't traditionally gone out of their way to lend a helping hand to third parties when it comes to documentation and whatnot. That is more important in the long run than the architecture.

Oh that's uhhh. Disappointing, that's kind of moving away from the market direction.

giphy.gif

I'm leaning back toward my initial reaction that the home console might be a set top version of the handheld's hardware, and thus both are ARM or NVIDIA mobile setups.

We did just get a Chinese console announced that runs on a Tegra K1 and is getting 360/PS3 games ported to it.

You can make one for that if you want too.

That's what I'm falling back on as well at this point.

Not sure why anyone would have thought Nintendo was going to get in an arms race with Sony and Microsoft. May as well put a "shocking rumor" tag on this.

That's completely unsurprising.

But of course people are going to be disappointed after the WUST2.0 threads started getting everyone hyped about Nintendo making a Neo competitor.

Not using x86 is also not a problem.
When was Neo considered a competitor? I must've missed that rumor.

Yoday

All I want is a cheap point of entry on playing Nintendo games. I am not going to pay a premium price to play only Nintendo games, and if that means being weaker than the XBO in 2017, then so be it. $300 is the ceiling on what I would pay for a Nintendo machine these days, and even then it has to have a stellar library/future library, and not force another crappy gimmick down my throat.

So it'll be affordable, modern, and easy to port to in theory. It's the best of all worlds. Making a cutting edge console in sheer power and thereby directly competing with no ace in hole (aka the "gimmick") would be suicide for Nintendo.

Even if the hardware is terrible, we will enjoy whatever new innovations Nintendo has in store. I can't wait to experience the Super Mario series and the Legend of Zelda in new and exciting ways!

Sure it won't be able to run VR unlike the PSNeo which comes out months before, but that's not consumers are interested in. Gameplay first.

rhino4evr

Great, another Nintendo console that has "different" architecture. Have they not learned? another Nintendo console that's only made for first party games. Sounds like a solid idea. Can't wait for the press announcement with all those 3rd party players that promise then refuse to support it. Maybe we will get a nx version of fallout 4?

Delio

Not necessarily, but Nintendo hasn't traditionally gone out of their way to lend a helping hand to third parties when it comes to documentation and whatnot. That is more important in the long run than the architecture.

Still i thought all the rumors recently had a bunch of soruces pointing to the console being easy to dev for. What happened to that? Ah well whatever I' want to see the handheld.

There goes any chance NX will get decent 3rd party support.

Quoting myself from the previous page:
wonderful103 said:
There are far more developers working on ARM than there are x86 at this point.
Engine support for ARM is broad as well, thanks to the fact that ARM devices are far more ubiquitous than x86 consoles.

Quoting myself from another thread:
wonderful103 said:
It has to do with the demographics present and a perceived lack of ROI which often turns out true.

When there's money to be made, pubs work around any hardware issues. Be that multi disc, working with alternate controllers, paring down engines, making their own internal online stores... These are all things that are done on multiple consoles that were successful.

But people will be people and react without actually reading.

Maniel

Banned
As long as it can handle ports of current gen games then it should be fine. This also doesn't rule out the CPU being stronger than ps4 or xbone's so that some games will be more stable framerates.

Basically, on paper between PS4 and Xbone, though it doesn´t really mean much since different architecture and more modern chips.

Can´t wait to read all the doomed posts. (already some in here.)

J

Jotamide

Unconfirmed Member
I've expected this from the start, now I won't be disappointed.
Nintendo can't go 3rd party soon enough.

Ridley327

Still i thought all the rumors recently had a bunch of soruces pointing to the console being easy to dev for. What happened to that? Ah well whatever I' want to see the handheld.

It can still be easy to develop for and for it to not be x86-based.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
Good god. That makes three consoles where Nintendo can't even make a system that's better than their competitors previous gen hardware.

What the hell is Nintendo trying to do at this point?

ozfunghi

Yeah, can somebody make a topic about this? This is wayy more intriguing and new type news.

No. Stop.

This, hopefully we can keep talking about the real news here.

I'm leaning back toward my initial reaction that the home console might be a set top version of the handheld's hardware, and thus both are ARM or NVIDIA mobile setups.

We did just get a Chinese console announced that runs on a Tegra K1 and is getting 360/PS3 games ported to it.

You can make one for that if you want too.

I did :)

Good god. That makes three consoles where Nintendo can't even make a system that's better than their competitors previous gen hardware.

What the hell is Nintendo trying to do at this point?
Once people understand the value of the GamePad, hardware specs won't matter.

Schnozberry

Great, maybe someone should make a thread about what we REALLY were discussing before ModBot closed down the other thread. Being the Semi-Accurate article with the NX handheld using a Tegra chip?

Yeah, I guess this will have to do.

Thraktor made a post in response to mine that stated that Nintendo would be able to engage Nvidia to customize chips, which is most likely true, but I think it would be Nintendo doing most of the customizing under advisement from Nvidia. Here's an article from 2013 that explains Nvidia's approach to licensing:

http://www.anandtech.com/show/7083/nvidia-to-license-kepler-and-future-gpu-ip-to-3rd-parties

I don't think Nvidia would be offering Nintendo steep discounts in order to get them to use up their wafer commitments at 20nm, however. Nvidia was talking about 20nm being garbage as far back as 2012, and I don't think they would have overcommitted knowing full well that 20nm offered little advantage over 28nm when it came to improvements in power efficiency and thermal characteristics.

If they gave Nintendo the type of discount that was rumored (taking a loss), it's likely because they know NX is a major reorientation at Nintendo around a unified architecture and that Nintendo would be committing to multiple designs into the future where they could make up short term losses.

Yeah, thought this would get posted. Without price or software line up of course ~Xbox One specs would look bad.
Not really a Wii U situation as long as it's cheap.
The handheld will use TEGRA according to the other (now locked) thread. Not sure if someone will make a thread (or if I should).

So it'll be affordable, modern, and easy to port to in theory. It's the best of all worlds. Making a cutting edge console in sheer power and thereby directly competing with no ace in hole (aka the "gimmick") would be suicide for Nintendo.
If that's what they're going for then I could be down with it.

element

custom-made chips and the overall design of the hardware is very modern. The chips are industry leading because they are very modern chips
This sounds like something Trump would say.

NX. Make Nintendo Great Again.

Thraktor

It being x86 or ARM has little to no bearing on (a) how powerful the console is likely to be or (b) the ease with which third parties can port titles to the NX. ARM cores like the A72 outperform the x86 Jaguar cores used in the PS4 and XBO by pretty much every measure, and unless a studio has gone insane and started writing all their code in assembly then porting to an ARM-based console shouldn't be an issue.

Regarding the GPU performance (closer to XBO than PS4) this is around what I would have been expecting.

And that has next to NOTHING to do with the hardware. That's the point.

Go look at ARM engine support on your own and form your own conclusions then.
You think people are going to be lining up to buy a console that's less powerful than the PS4 a few months after the release of the PS4 Neo?

"Dude, you getting the NX?"
"I don't think so dude. I heard it was worse than the PS4 and it uses cartridges. Sounds lame."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom