• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Emily Rogers: NX Not Using x86 Architecture - Won't Blow Away Current Gen Consoles

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm actually not mad at this power rumor. If it's as powerful as a xb1 then games will look fantastic,can't wait to see what Nintendo would do with that power. The only thing that worries me is "custom architecture" I hope they don't spend that much making this thing unique.

Schnozberry

Great, another Nintendo console that has "different" architecture. Have they not learned? another Nintendo console that's only made for first party games. Sounds like a solid idea. Can't wait for the press announcement with all those 3rd party players that promise then refuse to support it. Maybe we will get a nx version of fallout 4?

What is so radical about ARM and Nvidia?

chadskin

I'm leaning back toward my initial reaction that the home console might be a set top version of the handheld's hardware, and thus both are ARM or NVIDIA mobile setups.

We did just get a Chinese console announced that runs on a Tegra K1 and is getting 360/PS3 games ported to it.

That Chinese console has 325GFLOPS, a far cry from the 1.3TFLOPS of the XBO.

I don't think there's any ARM hardware on the market that can stack up in raw performance which makes this - not x86, about as powerful as the XBO - a curious claim.

Chobel

wonderful103 said:
There are far more developers working on ARM than there are x86 at this point.
Engine support for ARM is broad as well, thanks to the fact that ARM devices are far more ubiquitous than x86 consoles.

Yeah, mobile devs, the right kind of devs for console audience.

wonderful103 said:
It has to do with the demographics present and a perceived lack of ROI which often turns out true.

When there's money to be made, pubs work around any hardware issues. Be that multi disc, working with alternate controllers, paring down engines, making their own internal online stores... These are all things that are done on multiple consoles that were successful.

And if there isn't money to be made? Because that's usually the case for Nintendo with western 3rd party. Now Nintendo made it even worse, by making porting process harder and more expensive.

So it'll be affordable, modern, and easy to port to in theory. It's the best of all worlds. Making a cutting edge console in sheer power and thereby directly competing with no ace in hole (aka the "gimmick") would be suicide for Nintendo.
This doesn't sound so bad. I'm not going to put much stock into anything until the thing is revealed and I can actually see it. No point in emotions going either way right now.

Eliseo

It being x86 or ARM has little to no bearing on (a) how powerful the console is likely to be or (b) the ease with which third parties can port titles to the NX. ARM cores like the A72 outperform the x86 Jaguar cores used in the PS4 and XBO by pretty much every measure, and unless a studio has gone insane and started writing all their code in assembly then porting to an ARM-based console shouldn't be an issue.

Regarding the GPU performance (closer to XBO than PS4) this is around what I would have been expecting.

Exactly, but some pepople here think that x86 means more power than ARM i don't know why.

Yeah, mobile devs, the right kind of devs for console audience.

And if there isn't money to be made? Because that's usually the case for Nintendo with western 3rd party. Now Nintendo made it even worse, by making porting process harder and more expensive.

Again, go look at ARM support with modern engines.
You don't even have to be tech-savvy to known that ARM is a non-issue here. Hell, if it's A72 it's an even better core than the junk that developers are working with in current consoles.

Peterthumpa

You think people are going to be lining up to buy a console that's less powerful than the PS4 a few months after the release of the PS4 Neo?

"Dude, you getting the NX?"
"I don't think so dude. I heard it was worse than the PS4 and it uses cartridges. Sounds lame."

What a stupid comment. People will buy the NX for the Nintendo games, not because of CPU architectures or specs.

If they want to go cheap, as in 250 or lower cheap then I guess it's not that bad of an idea.

If true then I guess Nintendo really wants that Wii success again. I just really don't see it happening in this era as the market is already full when it comes to cheap casual gaming (Android, iOS, PC) & I really don't think Nintendo's IP's are enough to compensate for it.

Why is Emily Rogers treated as credible, again? Because she made the brilliant deduction that a Nintendo system would have a Paper Mario game?

AmyS

NX isn’t going to blow away any of the consoles on the market today…except for Wii U.

And that isn't saying much, at all.

According to some old Nintendo Directs from 2012, they said Wii U was about 20 times more powerful than Wii. The Wii itself was 1.5 times more powerful than GameCube (not 2-3x btw).

884066.gif

Shamelessly stolen from Jal in the Frinkiac gif thread.

antonz

No matter what NX is people have to accept the simple fact it is an Iwata/Miyamoto era machine. I have said from the beginning it was going to be a catch up device and not some monster leap forward. Its Nintendo moving to the PS4/XBO level and riding the wave forward.

We won't know if Kimishima brings real change until the devices after NX.

Nanashrew

Banned
Great, another Nintendo console that has "different" architecture. Have they not learned? another Nintendo console that's only made for first party games. Sounds like a solid idea. Can't wait for the press announcement with all those 3rd party players that promise then refuse to support it. Maybe we will get a nx version of fallout 4?

ARM is widely used and more modern than x86. It will not even be hard to develop for as many devs are already making a ton of games on ARM already and many have already become accustomed to it. Even all the latest engines support ARM.

Schnozberry

Exactly, but some pepople here think that x86 means more power than ARM i don't know why.

Because they equate x86 with Personal Computers and ARM with phones, not understanding that ARM can scale up to higher wattage parts better than x86 scales down.

What a stupid comment. People will buy the NX for the Nintendo games, not because of CPU architectures or specs.

Do enough of those people exist in the console market? That's been the issue Nintendo has had for a while now.

I too am going back to this being some kind of hybrid box. The only question I have is if it will be two devices that use the same platform/software, or one device that acts as a handheld but that you can also plug into your TV for home play. I'm leaning on it being two devices. A 2 in 1 could be costly.

QaaQer

It being x86 or ARM has little to no bearing on (a) how powerful the console is likely to be or (b) the ease with which third parties can port titles to the NX. ARM cores like the A72 outperform the x86 Jaguar cores used in the PS4 and XBO by pretty much every measure, and unless a studio has gone insane and started writing all their code in assembly then porting to an ARM-based console shouldn't be an issue.

Regarding the GPU performance (closer to XBO than PS4) this is around what I would have been expecting.

Source? Not trying to be combative, just would like more than pronouncements from anon posters because it seems like alot of work goes into optimising and bug fixing each version of AAA multiplayer games.

NateDrake

Most rumors regarding a console power is usually wrong. The only thing I would take from this rumor is the architecture information.

Nosgotham

lol at all the people already calling failure, like moms and grandmas are gonna pass on buying their loved ones new consoles because they heard the architecture was different. can we just wait to see what the system is before jumping to conclusions based off rumors

I mean, a few people will buy NX for Nintendo games. Not enough for it to sell well. The only stupid thing here is whoever's decision it was to make the NX less powerful than the oldest version of the PS4.

The NX Reveal event is just going to be embarrassing because for all we know PS4 Neo might be out by then.

This is good to keep people's expectations in check. I think Nintendo is certainly going for something that is affordable, while also being competitive with the others.

tuxfool

Banned
amazing

I know they are probably not using PPC again but is it even viable?

No it isn't. It was barely viable the last time around. Nintendo would need to pony up the upfront costs of developing that architecture on modern fabrication nodes, which given their typical desire to control their costs, it isn't something they would do. Not to mention that IPC for those processors is atrocious in this day and age.

Sounds like Wii U 2. I hope NX can handle ports or it'll be the same thing again.

it could have the raw power of xone and be as strong or stronger than ps4, If it uses NVidia like the handheld is said to use....and arm and x86 aren´t the same thing either. But i am reading it that it won´t be a power house, but who even expected that from nintendo?

Nintendo games will look incredible, about ports we have to wait and see.

Yado

If true then I guess Nintendo really wants that Wii success again. I just really don't see it happening in this era as the market is already full when it comes to cheap casual gaming (Android, iOS, PC) & I really don't think Nintendo's IP's are enough to compensate for it.

Let's say they went for a powerful console, why would people choose that over the PS4 Neo/Nextbox? They'd be chasing an audience that's not interested and pricing their product beyond the people they already have.

_woLf

Not using x86 is a huge shot to hopes and dreams of proper third party support.

Huge mistake by Nintendo, if true.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom