• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Emily Rogers: NX Not Using x86 Architecture - Won't Blow Away Current Gen Consoles

Status
Not open for further replies.
Christ man, if it was honestly going to outperform current-gen consoles then she would have stated as such without wrapping it in a riddle. Stop trying to over-analyze a very straightforward message.

Good on you for being hopeful and all, but you'd be better served not going this route with Nintendo, to be honest.

Not so sure. If someone said to her CPU and GPU are around bone level, without specifically saying what those components were, she could easily just reprint that as she has done and it really tells us nothing about how powerful the box is.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
Still think is x86. Because of the amd is telling about 3 consoles. If so, she would say it was meant for the handheld. Lol

What has not being x86 to do with AMD ? It can very well be ARM and AMD semi-custom.

No it is most likely Nintendo console. There is no need for them to go with Nividia when AMD are producing the CPU and GPU for the other competitors. AMD are now a custom foundry so Nintendo can design the CPU+GPU to suit their needs.

Also, it would be unlike Nividia to build a custom CPU for the successor of the Wii U. One of the worst selling consoles of all time

Here is a good explanation about why using Nvidia in both console and handheld could be logical:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=203631054&postcount=488

MuchoMalo

Banned
If NX is in XB1 ballpark there won't be any particular issues for third parties so there was no reason to overreact before ( unless people wanted a generational or something like a mid gen leap from PS4 and XB1) and there is no reason now.

thisisneogaf.fig

Still think is x86. Because of the amd is telling about 3 consoles. If so, she would say it was meant for the handheld. Lol

One of those three chips AMD is working on is ARM. There's no good reason to to x86 when you think about it.

Christ man, if it was honestly going to outperform current-gen consoles then she would have stated as such without wrapping it in a riddle. Stop trying to over-analyze a very straightforward message.

Good on you for being hopeful and all, but you'd be better served not going this route with Nintendo, to be honest.

She speaks in riddles because she's bad at writing and doesn't fully understand what she's saying. You might be right, but you're also biased on this subject so obviously you're reading it as her saying that it's weaker than Xbone, much like how Nintendo fans are biased and going to read it as her saying that it's faster than Xbone. She's just saying two contradictory statements that cancel each other out and don't really say anything. It's why she annoys me. She is never straight-forward with her answers to anything.

Rodin

For real. I can't see how anyone can be interpreting it as anything other than "It might even be a stretch to call it as powerful as Xbox One".

This discussion only shows how incredibly poor her wording was. If she meant to say that the console was inferior to the Xbox One in raw numbers, she should have just said that raw numbers put the console even below the X1, and maybe adding that a possibly different architecture could mean real world performances on par or better than what the One can do. The truth is that she doesn't understand at all the info she was given, so she tried to be as vague as possible. If the console ends up being slower than the One, she said that so she's right. If it will be more powerful, she can say that real world performances and raw numbers are two different things and she was only talking about the latter (which is what she did in her catfight with 10k on twitter).

LordRaptor

Because assuming this rumour is true, raw numbers are not that useful in ascertaining real world performance.

What's better, 3 x 3.2Ghz cores, or 6 x 1.6Ghz cores?

KungFucius

King Snowflake

It could be NX or it could be another win. These SoCs were designed to be an embedded solution for consumer electronics. It could be for a smart TV that can play games. Could be for any set top box such as the next Amazon Fire TV. You can sure hope that it is for the NX, but as many have pointed out, don't hope when it comes to Nintendo. They have been a let down since using carts in the N64.

For Nintendo fans and their target audience, the WiiU is close to good enough for a 1080p screen. If the OS was faster and it had more games, it would have been fine for those that bought it. Something that is slightly better than the WiiU is more than likely what they are targeting because the NX is all about re aligning their marketing strategy into something they hope will bring in new customers.

It's never been about competing with MS/Sony. If there is the opportunity to use the same chipset in both portable and in the console I think they would lean towards that. It would streamline their game development process and that fact alone could help them entice 3rd party developers.

One thing I need to ask myself here is do I need a console? I have a decent PC hooked up to my dumb TV that I will upgrade for VR and eventually 4K gaming. My consoles sit unused and I tend to pass, even on exclusives until I get bored and I can pick up a cheaper copy if they tended to live up to the hype. Does supplementing my PC gaming with a console make sense and if so which one do I want? I would lean towards Nintendo because it is different in the gaming experiences offered. But after the Wii and WiiU and even the GCN and N64, my Nintendo system has been a dust collector for most of it's life due to low game output compared to the PS, PS2, and now PC. I should sit this next round out and play Zelda on my WiiU, but will I?

Peterc

It could be NX or it could be another win. These SoCs were designed to be an embedded solution for consumer electronics. It could be for a smart TV that can play games. Could be for any set top box such as the next Amazon Fire TV. You can sure hope that it is for the NX, but as many have pointed out, don't hope when it comes to Nintendo. They have been a let down since using carts in the N64.

For Nintendo fans and their target audience, the WiiU is close to good enough for a 1080p screen. If the OS was faster and it had more games, it would have been fine for those that bought it. Something that is slightly better than the WiiU is more than likely what they are targeting because the NX is all about re aligning their marketing strategy into something they hope will bring in new customers.

It's never been about competing with MS/Sony. If there is the opportunity to use the same chipset in both portable and in the console I think they would lean towards that. It would streamline their game development process and that fact alone could help them entice 3rd party developers.

One thing I need to ask myself here is do I need a console? I have a decent PC hooked up to my dumb TV that I will upgrade for VR and eventually 4K gaming. My consoles sit unused and I tend to pass, even on exclusives until I get bored and I can pick up a cheaper copy if they tended to live up to the hype. Does supplementing my PC gaming with a console make sense and if so which one do I want? I would lean towards Nintendo because it is different in the gaming experiences offered. But after the Wii and WiiU and even the GCN and N64, my Nintendo system has been a dust collector for most of it's life due to low game output compared to the PS, PS2, and now PC. I should sit this next round out and play Zelda on my WiiU, but will I?

It would be better if we go pc only with stream function to tv. That console companies only create games and additional accessories.

We really don't need consoles. Ms maybe thinking this already and dump the xbox and move it to pc(box). But for Sony and Nintendo, it will probably never happens.

Diffense

Saying NX is "Closer to XBox 1 than PS4 and even that might be a stretch" in the context of a post warning that Nintendo isn't going for raw power seems to imply that NX is closer to Microsoft's console in power and might even be weaker. I can't interpret it any other way. Whether I believe her is another matter but I think that's what she's saying.

Meesh

Saying NX is "Closer to XBox 1 than PS4 and even that might be a stretch" in the context of a post warning that Nintendo isn't going for raw power seems to imply that NX is closer to Microsoft's console in power and might even be weaker. I can't interpret it any other way. Whether I believe her is another matter but I think that's what she's saying.
Yeah. An we've still gotta wait till next year for this..."thing". There'd better be some compelling games backing it up...

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4

Yep. Lots of us are interpreting the tweet exactly the same way. It's pretty obvious that's what she's saying.

Absolutely, otherwise the 'stretch' part would be completely suplerfluous.

Let's be honest, beside from a few performances differences, the NX will have graphics similar to the Xbox One and PS4.

That's it.

For better or worse, there will be a slight difference in FPS or resolution for games that are ported.

For me, the console won't have strong 3rd party support anyway and the power of the unit will be more than enough to allow for Nintendo to make some beautiful looking games.

Look at Mario Kart 8 and how good that looks. Now imagine a generational jump in graphics above that. It will look absolutely brilliant.

For the first time in a decade I'll just be happy to play Nintendo games which are roughly on par with the completion graphically.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
For better or worse, there will be a slight difference in FPS or resolution for games that are ported.

I can't see any company willing to spend the time and effort to port a game to a completely different architecture. Especially on a Nintendo console.

I can't see any company willing to spend the time and effort to port a game to a completely different architecture. Especially on a Nintendo console.

Yeah, there won't be a lot of third party games.

There wouldn't be even if the system was slightly more powerful than the PS4 either.

Oddish1

The context of the post is to warn people about false rumors claiming the NX is running on x86 and Polaris architecture, and that anyone claiming that the NX is significantly stronger than the PS4 is wrong. That seems to be the main takeaway.

Don't think her comment about "stretch" is enough to hand-wring about, especially when she then goes on to say that direct comparisons are very difficult.

Neoxon

But most of the engines already being used are ARM-friendly, so there isn't really an issue.

Doesn't matter either way since there won't be much in the name of (western) third party support, anyway.

DrWong

Bubububut middlewares!

Ahah ! You like circles.

There's a verified guy in this very thread who said something along the lines of "no prob' for ports on the thing". Multiquoted. Just sayin'...

Branduil

That does seem to be what the wording implies, although the sentence as a whole is very ambiguously worded. "Closer to Xbox 1 than PS4" encapsulates a very large range from halfway between the two all the way to the Xbox 1. She then says of this entire range that "even that might be a stretch," but the sentence doesn't actually contain all the information needed to parse that clause. If she said "halfway between the two" or "Xbox 1 level" it would be clear, but "Closer to XBox 1 than PS4" is just too unclear to be useful. I mean technically, and range from 0 flops to the halfway point between the two consoles would qualify.

Emily is probably laughing hard with us.

It's time some official developer that using the devkits, tell us what they really using as devkit.

IndieGamerChick: NX more powerful than PS4/XB1, easy to develop for
http://neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1202176

and

https://mynintendonews.com/2015/10/...-can-only-run-on-pcs-with-cutting-edge-chips/

So we are stepping away from this rumors and indiegamerchick is fake?

Indiegamerchick talks a lot of crap even when not coming up with rumours.

The other day said Splatoon was GameCube level gameplay that felt two generations too old. Whatever that even means.

therapist

if its weaker than x1 then eesh.

Im still a bit optimistic , considering we know barely anything about this console.

However after being a launch wii u buyer, im highly cautious of new nintendo consoles.

My least played console ever , by a massive margin

Rodin

The other day said Splatoon was GameCube level gameplay that felt two generations too old. Whatever that even means.
giphy.gif

To be fair, Emily Rogers does have a pretty good track record.

She does, but that doesn't mean it's flawless or that it doesn't seem that she's seeking attention now. She even teased new blog articles and their delay on twitter. Who does that?

I usually trust her, and to be fair, what she said isn't far at all from the specs i proposed multiple times here (ARM CPU with a 1tflop GCN 1.2 GPU that would be pretty close to the X1). So i could be even inclined to believe her (she's basically confirming what i suggested from the start after all), but that doesn't mean that i have to like how she handled all this.

Diffense

The context of the post is to warn people about false rumors claiming the NX is running on x86 and Polaris architecture, and that anyone claiming that the NX is significantly stronger than the PS4 is wrong. That seems to be the main takeaway.

Don't think her comment about "stretch" is enough to hand-wring about, especially when she then goes on to say that direct comparisons are very difficult.

Yes, she mentioned that NX wont' have Polaris or x86. However she also says that, not only is NX less powerful than PS4 it could also be less powerful than XBox one. She concluded by saying that NX will not be blowing anything away except the Wii U which clearly implies that it won't be blowing away XBox One. Presumably it's precisely because direct comparisons are difficult that she'd rather err on the side of NX being weaker. The overall gist of her post is pretty clear, IMO. It's that NX is "weak" at least as a "next gen" console.

This discussion only shows how incredibly poor her wording was. If she meant to say that the console was inferior to the Xbox One in raw numbers, she should have just said that raw numbers put the console even below the X1, and maybe adding that a possibly different architecture could mean real world performances on par or better than what the One can do. The truth is that she doesn't understand at all the info she was given, so she tried to be as vague as possible. If the console ends up being slower than the One, she said that so she's right. If it will be more powerful, she can say that real world performances and raw numbers are two different things and she was only talking about the latter (which is what she did in her catfight with 10k on twitter).

You don't even know the information she was given, so how can you even say that? The fact of the matter is, if Emily is saying that from what she's heard, that NX is closer to Xbox One than PS4, but "Even that is stretching it", then that clearly means that it could be even less powerful than Xbox One. There is no confirmation bias here. Just honest to god reading comprehension.

That being said, i see this as confirmation bias. There's a reason if only you (who have always thought that the NX would've been weak specs wise iirc) and a notorious Nintendo hater are reading it this way.

Editing this out because I've realised I don't need to prove anything to you.

Rodin

You don't even know the information she was given, so how can you even say that? The fact of the matter is, if Emily is saying that from what she's heard, that NX is closer to Xbox One than PS4, but "Even that is stretching it", then that clearly means that it could be even less powerful than Xbox One. There is no confirmation bias here. Just honest to god reading comprehension.

Me? A Nintendo hater?

Try again.
Weren't you just talking about reading comprehension? Read the post you quoted again.

Weren't you just talking about reading comprehension? Read the post you quoted again.

You quoted me, calling me and directly accused me of being a Nintendo hater. My reading comprehension just fine. Don't try and deflect because your baseless assumptions were quashed so quickly.

Being cynical of their next console doesn't say anything about my own personal preferences. You're singling me out because I'm saying things you don't want to hear, which is not only pathetic, but gets in the way of objective speculation. Take your fanboy accusations elsewhere, it's boring.

Rodin

You're singling me out because I'm saying things you don't want to hear, which is not only pathetic, but gets in the way of objective speculation. Take your fanboy accusations elsewhere, it's boring.
The funniest thing is that the "things i don't want to hear" are exactly what i've been speculating from the start.

cyberheater

That being said, i see this as confirmation bias. There's a reason if only you (who have always thought that the NX would've been weak specs wise iirc) and a notorious Nintendo hater are reading it this way.

I've read it exactly the same way. Does that make me a Nintendo hater.

Rodin. I Have owned every single Nintendo console from SNES onwards and bought every single console day one since N64. Have also bought most of their handhelds.

You sound upset. It would be better for you to keep you dreams in check relative to the performance of Nintendo hardware.

I said that you AND A NINTENDO HATER are the only two person who read her post that way. You AND ANOTHER PERSON. Which would be Cyberheater. Is it clear now?

But it's funny, because you're putting us both in the 'confirmation' bias camp. My point still stands. There's no confirmation bias here, at least not from me. So stop making accusations because there are people that think there's a chance NX won't be too powerful.

As stated before, the way she's worded it clearly shows that there is a chance that NX being as powerful as Xbox One might be a stretch. What's the issue here? How else are you interpreting it?

The funniest thing is that the "things i don't want to hear" are exactly what i've been speculating from the start.

So why are you attacking two people who share the same thoughts? You're making zero sense. Just take the L.

Rodin

Cyberheater said:
I've read it exactly the same way. Does that make me a Nintendo hater.

Rodin. I Have owned every single Nintendo console from SNES onwards and bought every single console day one since N64. Have also bought most of their handhelds.

You sound upset. It would be better for you to keep you dreams in check relative to the performance of Nintendo hardware.
That's what it sounded like from every post i have read from you even from before i signed up on neogaf and i've seen tons of people "accusing" you of the same thing. I'm sorry if i was wrong about you, or if you felt offended by my post. Wasn't my intention.

But it's funny, because you're putting us both in the 'confirmation' bias camp. My point still stands. There's no confirmation bias here, at least not from me. So stop making accusations because there are people that think there's a chance NX won't be too powerful.

As stated before, the way she's worded it clearly shows that there is a chance that NX being as powerful as Xbox One might be a stretch. What's the issue here? How else are you interpreting it?

So why are you attacking two people who share the same thoughts? You're making zero sense. Just take the L.

I'm interpreting like i said in my previous post, which is like pretty much everyone else is reading it (which is, again, if the console was less powerful than the X1 or had less raw power, she would've or at least should've said that from the beginnning). That doesn't mean i'm ruling out the possibility of a console less powerful than the Xbox One (or at least, with less flops) considering it's what i've been speculating for months. Do i have to quote my older posts where i talked about a 1tflop GPU and the reasons why they could go this way?

Sounds like you're making it a bigger deal than it is. I've seen people straight up telling me to fuck off on this forum, and i didn't react like you. I didn't care at all.

cyberheater

That's what it sounded like from every post i have read from you even from before i signed up on neogaf and i've seen tons of people "accusing" you of the same thing. I'm sorry if i was wrong about you, or if you felt offended by my post. Wasn't my intention.

Hi Rodin. Don't worry. I'm not offended.

Yes I have supported Nintendo for over 30 years. Yes I am also critical of the company. You can be both.

Well, Xbox One also uses an inferior design with the DDR3 plus ESRAM combo, which I am pretty sure the NX will not. I think that the NX will use a Tegra SoC just like the handheld.

I'm interpreting like i said in my previous post, which is like pretty much everyone else is reading it (if the console was less powerful than the X1 or had less raw power, she would've or at least should've said that from the beginnning). That doesn't mean i'm ruling out the possibility of a console less powerful than the Xbox One (or at least, with less flops) considering it's what i've been speculated for months. Do i have to quote my older posts where i talked about a 1tflop GPU and the reasons why they could go this way?

You don't have to quote anything. I'm still unsure of what NX will be myself, and I can only interpret rumours. I'm talking specifically about Emily's rumour, not what I personally think NX is going to be.

The only way I can see this statement being interpreted is that NX even being as powerful as Xbox One may be stretch. That's what it says in the article. That's what it means. There's not mental gymnastics you can play to think it means that in raw numbers, it's as good as the Xbox One at the very best.

Who knows whether that'll end up being true.

Rodin

Yes I have supported Nintendo for over 30 years. Yes I am also critical of the company. You can be both.
Of course you can, i criticized them multiple times as well. A few weeks ago i said something about the balance of their recent output between bigger and smaller titles, and 20 people jumped at me lol

While i agree about criticism where it's needed, i do think that being too negative about stuff isn't a good thing. But that's how i see it in general, it's not something strictly related to Nintendo.

You don't have to quote anything. I'm still unsure of what NX will be myself, and I can only interpret rumours. I'm talking specifically about Emily's rumour, not what I personally think NX is going to be.

The only way I can see this statement being interpreted is that NX even being as powerful as Xbox One may be stretch. That's what it says in the article. That's what it means. There's not mental gymnastics you can play to think it means that in raw numbers, it's as good as the Xbox One at the very best.

Who knows whether that'll end up being true.
At this point i think the best thing we can do is wait and see what happens. It's quite obvious what the ballpark of the console wiil be anyway, and being around or a bit less than X1 or slightly more than PS4 won't change things to the point that one scenario is fantastic and the other one is absolute crap, it can go from good to underwhelming. It's not like the Wii U speculation, where the range went from on par with 360 to 3x as powerful (a much bigger one, where there could really be a big difference). This kind of "insiders" articles won't lead us anywhere, except for meaningless "fights" on forums apparently (which aren't really my thing lol).

Peterc

Looking above your Avatar Ps4 repeatedly, I can believe people asume otherwise.

I wasn't happy with the wii power, even more sad about the wiiu power. I really hope it doesn't happen again. But I really don't want to judge before we actually see something on screen and what it can do. Numbers doesn't say anything to me.

Eolz

The state of those past two pages... And then people wonder why Emily go back to private mode when people manage to say "it's doomed" whatever is said by her or other people.

And then we even get people going back on the "different architecture, they're doomed" track when it's not really important in this case. It's not powerpc, come on...

Confirmation bias, jump to conclusions and misunderstandings everywhere. Can we go back to good discussions?

Peterc

The state of those past two pages... And then people wonder why Emily go back to private mode when people manage to say "it's doomed" whatever is said by her or other people.

And then we even get people going back on the "different architecture, they're doomed" track when it's not really important in this case. It's not powerpc, come on...

Confirmation bias, jump to conclusions and misunderstandings everywhere. Can we go back to good discussions?

agree, but maybe excluding specs

Of course you can, i criticized them multiple times as well. A few weeks ago i said something about the balance of their recent output between bigger and smaller titles, and 20 people jumped at me lol

While i agree about criticisim where it's needed, i do think that being too negative about stuff isn't a good thing though. But that's how i see it in general, it's not something strictly related to Nintendo.

At this point i think the best thing we can do is wait and see what happens. At this point it's obvious what the ballpark of the console wiil be anyway, and being around X1 or slightly more than PS4 won't change things to the point that one scenario is fantastic and the other one is absolute crap. It's not like the Wii U speculation, where the range went from on par with 360 to 3x as powerful. This kind of "insiders" articles won't lead us anywhere, except for meaningless "fights" on forums apparently (which aren't really my thing lol).

They're not my thing either, which is why I reacted in the way I did. Unless someone comes out with something ridiculous, then I think every opinion is valid. When people are accusing others of this or that, that's when the conversation turns to shit.

But yes, I think it's obvious what kind of range we're looking at, which is as much as we can realistically go on right now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom