• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Emily Rogers: NX Not Using x86 Architecture - Won't Blow Away Current Gen Consoles

Status
Not open for further replies.

Huff

Banned
So lets assume Nintendo secures Bayonetta 3, 4 and 5 exclusively TOTALLY.

Tell me WHY o WHY I should buy that Devil May Cry game that Capcom decide to place on whatever the Nintendo console is named, beside Bayonetta 5?

Same shit for anything Nintendo brings to the table for any genre.

Most people buy games because they want to play them

Don't because of some misplaced loyalty to a giant corporation

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
I can't see any company willing to spend the time and effort to port a game to a completely different architecture. Especially on a Nintendo console.

ARM supports most of the modern engines no problem, including Frostbite.

I think like this post needs to be quoted again:

To add context to my previous post (I was asked via PM) without going into too much detail any game that runs on the XB1 or PS4 should run on the NX with little to no issue. What developers choose to or not to port to the console will more than likely depend on consumer support for the thing.

It makes no difference if the GPU is slighly above Xbone's or slightly below in terms of Tflops. It will be based on a different architecture and possibly even from a different vendor. The CPU is very likely to be better than the PS4 one. There wouldn't be any issue to get ports, other than the economical ones who are actually the biggest obstacles to overcome in this case.

How quickly we all forget LCGeek

There is a big chance that the ARM CPU to be better than the junk in PS4/Xbone. They would really need to make an effort not to be better.

LordRaptor

How quickly we all forget LCGeek

Honestly, most of these topics just seem like people can't race fast enough to post long form text versions of
JgefTek.gif

without bothering reading anything

Mithos

And why should they do that if, for the last few years, they've been given no reason to do so? Again, Nintendo is the only one who can break the cycle.

HOW?

By making those type of games themselves, which will make Nintendo audience buy Nintendos games again and not the third parties games?

maxcriden

Look, how about if we all just agree that it's in the ballpark of Xbone, give or take, and she's hesitant to say whether it's weaker or more powerful due to the CPU being different? We didn't get a definitive statement because she doesn't have one and she doesn't understand the technical aspects enough to get one, or she's getting conflicting information and we have a situation where some of the less talented developers are getting worse performance due to not porting the games to ARM properly, or perhaps even due to other issues like lower memory bandwidth? It's safest to just say that it's roughly on-par with Xbone and leave it at that instead of being overly positive or negative. It's definitely not significantly weaker in any case.

It should be noted that whatever powerlevel the NX is on at this current time is subject to change. Even with the Wii U, the performance of the inital dev kit from the final dev kit went from 400MHz GPU/1GHz CPU to a 550MHZ GPU/1.24 CPU, nearly a 25%/ 40% difference. Considering that there is less than a 2x difference between the XB1 and the PS4 in raw performance, the NX could still wind up above the current gen at the end even if you are clocking the system below the XB1 due to Emily's statement.

NateDrake commented about this earlier in the thread:

"Most rumors regarding a console power is usually wrong. The only thing I would take from this rumor is the architecture information."

"That can be one factor. The other depends on the kits the "sources" have at the time as they could be an older version lacking updates and such. I don't place much stock in rumors for power levels.

GCN was weaker than every system during the gen because Nintendo gave real world performance figures. In "raw power" the Xbox was said to handle 100 million polygons per second, and the PS2 was around 60 million. Nintendo figures for GCN was something like 6-12 million polygons a second. GCN was much stronger than a PS2 in the end."

So, whatever way you interpret Emily's statement, don't get so focused on where the NX is currently at during its pre-final kit.

Emily said that she had numerous sources, right? Even if she had several different answers, I have doubts that it couldn't been phrased in another way to avoid some of the arguments that we are seeing now. Since Emily hasn't comment on the matter AFAIK, I believe that was intentional.

These posts really can't be quoted enough.

CrazyHorse

?? I don't understand your argument

Nintendo's market is shrinking every generation and going to mobile and Sony/Microsoft. Thus Nintendo will do what it takes to get that market back.

I believe a part of this strategy will be to get more exclusives.

Nintendo will not accept another Wii U. We really can't believe that they can go on forever like this.

NX will be the next SNES.

usmanusb

Nintendo should do a deal with Valve for Steam. It would solve the 3rd party problem.

A Nintendo system with a Steam library => day one purchase.
A while ago there was some news about Nintendo talking to Amazon. Probably we might be able to see amazon store for games but may not be steam , though it would be great

Neoxon

HOW?

By making those type of games themselves, which will make Nintendo audience buy Nintendos games again and not the third parties games?
Well the third parties aren't gonna do anything unless Nintendo gives them a reason to. After years of no western third party support, they aren't gonna magically start giving a shit now. They need a reason to give a shit, & only Nintendo can give it to them.

Nintendo's market is shrinking every generation and going to mobile and Sony/Microsoft. Thus Nintendo will do what it takes to get that market back.

Nintendo will not accept another Wii U. We really can't believe that they can go on forever like this.

It's too late in the generation for that, especially with Sony having a death-grip on the market & the PS4K poised to tighten that grip. As stated before, Nintendo needs to begin the road to recovery in terms of their relationship with western third parties & core gamers. If Nintendo is planning on unifying their console & handheld games into one library of games, it would give them a big opportunity to diversify their line-up (which can in turn help cultivate the necessary audience for western publishers to care later down the road). The NX (or at least the NX Console) likely won't succeed in the way we'd hope it to. But if Nintendo plays their cards right, they can pave the way for the NX Console's successor to succeed. In fact, as far as sales go, I wouldn't be surprised if Nintendo doesn't make a distinction between console & handheld sales, but rather focusing on the NX ecosystem as a whole.

Peterc

I believe this too. Also because they are also saying they wanted to go back creating games for the core players.

And it isn't something they have said before starting from the wii release. Also we noticed wii losing his grip and xbox 360 taking it over. Thats why change can happen when console start in midgen. But it's difficult.

CrazyHorse

Well the third parties aren't gonna do anything unless Nintendo gives them a reason to. After years of no western third party support, they aren't gonna magically start giving a shit now. They need a reason to give a shit, & only Nintendo can give it to them.

It's too late in the generation for that, especially with Sony having a death-grip on the market & the PS4K poised to tighten that grip. As stated before, Nintendo needs to begin the road to recovery in terms of their relationship with western third parties & core gamers. If Nintendo is planning on unifying their console & handheld games into one library of games, it would give them a big opportunity to diversify their line-up (which can in turn help cultivate the necessary audience for western publishers to care later down the road). The NX (or at least the NX Console) likely won't succeed in the way we'd hope it to. But if Nintendo plays their cards right, they can pave the way for the NX Console's successor to succeed. In fact, as far as sales go, I wouldn't be surprised if Nintendo doesn't make a distinction between console & handheld sales, but rather focusing on the NX ecosystem as a whole.

I don't disagree. Nintendo will have to build up the "hardcore" market share much like how Microsoft built it up with the first Xbox.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess

How will NX be the next SNES when the PS4 is pretty much it already? The market has shown that it doesn't NEED Nintendo's games. It's now up to Nintendo to prove that it does and it's worth picking up their hardware to do it.

Certainly, not showing anything up to this point is the way to do it. o.o

Peterc

How will NX be the next SNES when the PS4 is pretty much it already? The market has shown that it doesn't NEED Nintendo's games. It's now up to Nintendo to prove that it does and it's worth picking up their hardware to do it.

Ps4 does have more movie based games. If you want to compare it with snes, it's because it has traditional way of playing games. But most games are nothing like with in the snes period. The 3ds is closer to that.

Mithos

Same right back on third parties, they need to give the audience on Nintendo platforms a reason to buy those versions when they show up, and abandoning the platform after 1-2 games is not that reason.

--
Dear Electronic Arts.

Putting Mass Effect: Andromeda on NX home console will not be reason enough, seeing that the game gets ALL DLC the other versions at the same time might be that reason, however if this is again a trilogy, not before the THIRD game shows up and gets ALL DLC the other platforms got will you have given a good enough reason to pick up the three game in the series.

Chicken meet Egg.

Neoxon

Same right back on third parties, they need to give the audience on Nintendo platforms a reason to buy those versions when they show up, and abandoning the platform after 1-2 games is not that reason.

--
Dear Electronic Arts.

Putting Mass Effect: Andromede on NX home console will not be reason enough, seeing that the game gets ALL DLC the other versions at the same time might be that reason, however if this is again a trilogy, not before the THIRD game shows up and gets ALL DLC the other platforms got will you have given a good enough reason to pick up the three game in the series.

Chicken, meet Egg.
That's just it, it's a chicken-or-the-egg situation. Said third parties don't need Nintendo, they have three other platforms (PS4, XB1, & PC) to cater towards with proven audiences. Nintendo's the one who needs those western third parties, so it's on Nintendo to give those third parties a reason to support their platform beyond one or two games.

ClearData

If the two rival platforms are x86 and Nintendo again uses some custom architecture precisely how do they hope to woo third parties to port major releases? It just sounds like the same old story. I hope these rumors aren't true but we have Rodgers reporting from seven sources? My expectations are dimming for the NX.

Neoxon

If the two rival platforms are x86 and Nintendo again uses some custom architecture precisely how do they hope to woo third parties to port major releases? It just sounds like the same old story. I hope these rumors aren't true but we have Rodgers reporting from seven sources? My expectations are dimming for the NX.
Pretty much every major engine (Unreal Engine 4, Frostbite, Unity, etc.) supports ARM, which is the likely architecture that Nintendo will go with if Emily Rogers' sources are on the money (& given Iwata's plans on unifying their consoles & handhelds to be "like brothers", I wouldn't be surprised). This is further confirmed by one of our own (who's Bish-approved) saying that giving the NX Platform ports of PS4 & XB1 games isn't hard from a technical standpoint.

Simply put it, ARM scales up better than x86 scales down, which is big for Nintendo if they're really going for the shared platform that Iwata alluded towards. And as confirmed by one Bish-approved GAF insider, ports won't be a problem. You have nothing to worry about.
.....besides Nintendo's audience not giving a shit about whatever ports western publishers gives to the NX Platform.

-Horizon-

HOW?

Yeah, it seems like nintendo are in a weird chicken egg situation with 3rd parties.
3rd parties won't show up because there is no audience. Then again, what 3rd parties have done is half hearted ports. But Nintendo hasn't built up an audience for those types of games with their own 1st party games. But if Nintendo does so, there is always the chance that it'll become a "we can't compete with 1st party games" argument from 3rd parties so they still don't bring anything over.

Dan Adelman makes a good point though in an interview he had after leaving Nintendo.
It would require nintendo to go head to head financially with microsoft and sony to secure more exclusive stuff but the payoff might be much better than what happened with the Wii U. I think I agree with him and its all about how much risk nintendo is willing to put up.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton

It seems that this forum needs a learning thread about ARM.

Mithos

That's just it, it's a chicken-or-the-egg situation. Said third parties don't need Nintendo, they have three other platforms (PS4, XB1, & PC) to cater towards with proven audiences. Nintendo's the one who needs those western third parties, so it's on Nintendo to give those third parties a reason to support their platform beyond one or two games.

That's what we disagree on, there is only TWO parties in this story, third parties and consumers.
Nintendo can do NOTHING that will make consumers trust that the third parties will not bail after 1 or 2 games, that is a trust that will have to be built up by third parties themselves and no one else

Nintendo can make games in the genres that western third parties usually supply, but then we're back to Nintendo audience buys Nintendo games and not third party games.

Surely you mean sales wise I hope? Because in terms of amazing games..... PS4 needs to work MUCH harder. Simple as that.

Ganondolf

ARM cpu seems like a good move as its the best bet going forwards. I wonder what gpu options Nintendo has if the system on chip is arm based. Does anyone know if any amd gpu could be added or would they need to go for a chip made to work in conjunction with a arm chip.

Eolz

So even if Nintendo puts more advertising dollars for said third party games, it's not like those western publishers will instantly be encouraged to put more effort into their ports. They need a reason to believe that the audience will be there before they try as hard as they do for the other two.

Not really. There's a difference between putting a lot of effort in their ports, and giving outdated scraps (which some like EA did on WiiU).
If nobody bought Mass Effect 3 on WiiU, it's not because the port was bad. Same for Need For Speed.

Because western publishers have no reason to support Nintendo & their audience. Nintendo has to give them a reason why & break the cycle of no western third parties-no audience.

They have a reason to support it at launch, and that's to try to expand the market. If the console fails, obviously no reason to support it anymore. If the console sells but they give less than an half-assed effort on it, they are mostly to blame if they don't make any money on it.
You don't make specific audiences appear magically on your platform, even if you make games for them or promote it. It's a combined effort.

It's not as easy either. The WiiU was a failure from the start, most third parties didn't have any reason to support it anymore. The ones that did had to try to help to keep a family audience alive (lego games, just dance, etc).

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
That's what we disagree on, there is only TWO parties in this story, third parties and consumers.
Nintendo can do NOTHING that will make consumers trust that the third parties will not bail after 1 or 2 games, that is a trust that will have to be built up by third parties themselves and no one else

Nintendo can make games in the genres that western third parties usually supply, but then we're back to Nintendo audience buys Nintendo games and not third party games.

Nintendo can do a lot of things actually. Including convincing Nintendo fans to buy 3rd party games. They can do co-marketing, allow Nintendo IPs to be used for in-game content like with Minecraft and Skylander, have a big number of 3rd party games or mixed bundles for the hardware (they could actually use also more 1st party games bundles), discount on the licensing fees etc. There is a question of will, not of feasibility.

Anarky

Banned

I'm starting to think we should put Osiris's post in the OP.

CrazyHorse

In terms of market share the NX wont be the next SNES, but it will have the 3rd parties and Nintendo games. The best of both worlds - just like the SNES.

I am assuming that the NX will be easy to port to. So the 3rd parties will not need a lot of encouraging to port games. Porting will result in more sales more them.

Also look at how Nintendo succeeded with Splatoon. This is all the encouragement they need to make new IPs which entice the market. Isn't Retro making a new IP?

Nintendo will return to the days of SNES and N64, where they had exclusive IPs like Killer Instinct and Goldeneye which attracted the "hardcore".

original.gif

Eolz

Nintendo can do a lot of things actually. Including convincing Nintendo fans to buy 3rd party games. They can do co-marketing, allow Nintendo IPs to be used for in-game content like with Minecraft and Skylander, have a big number of 3rd party games or mixed bundles for the hardware (they could actually use also more 1st party games bundles), discount on the licensing fees etc. There is a question of will, not of feasibility.

They tried to do that on WiiU to be fair, but it was already too late from the start with this platform...

Gitaroo

is it possible that the handheld operate on its own with 1/4 of the processing power and when you take it some and dock it on the console nx, the whole system operate in a quad SLi mode kind of way with other 3. If the handheld only have to operate at 480p, which is basically 1/4 of 1080p. Effects of course will be turn down.

Padinn

is it possible that the handheld operate on its own with 1/4 of the processing power and when you take it some and dock it on the console nx, the whole system operate in a quad SLi mode kind of way with other 3. If the handheld only have to operate at 480p, which is basically 1/4 of 1080p. Effects of course will be turn down.

No, that is not possible.

geordiemp

No, that is not possible.

Yes it is

No.

I also don't believe there's going to be any sort of dock. That smacks too much of the misconception about a hybrid system.

http://www.pcworld.com/article/3019...-your-laptops-game-with-desktop-graphics.html

And did not Nintendo patent the external SCD device (although the above link shows this can be done already)

The Alienware Graphics Amplifier and MSI GS30 Shadow each lean on a custom PCI Express connection to allow the docks to communicate with laptops; the ROG XG Station 2, which was “specifically designed for Asus laptops and graphics cards” but works with other graphics cards as well, uses PCI-E x4 over a pair of Thunderbolt 3.0/USB Type-C connections.

I always assumed the NX would be a portable with a console box dock station. It not a hybrid as there are 2 separated computing sources, its not a bird or a plane....

I could really see Nintendo coming up with a new PCI connector, would be interesting .,,,

ClearData

Pretty much every major engine (Unreal Engine 4, Frostbite, Unity, etc.) supports ARM, which is the likely architecture that Nintendo will go with if Emily Rogers' sources are on the money (& given Iwata's plans on unifying their consoles & handhelds to be "like brothers", I wouldn't be surprised). This is further confirmed by one of our own (who's Bish-approved) saying that giving the NX Platform ports of PS4 & XB1 games isn't hard from a technical standpoint.

Simply put it, ARM scales up better than x86 scales down, which is big for Nintendo if they're really going for the shared platform that Iwata alluded towards. And as confirmed by one Bish-approved GAF insider, ports won't be a problem. You have nothing to worry about.
.....besides Nintendo's audience not giving a shit about whatever ports western publishers gives to the NX Platform.

Ah okay that sounds quite a bit better. So it's just a matter of getting the publishers onboard rather than a technical hurdle.

AmyS

No.

I also don't believe there's going to be any sort of dock. That smacks too much of the misconception about a hybrid system.

clem84

Gold Member
Considering what Nintendo has been able to do graphically with the WiiU (MK8, SM3DW, ZeldaU), a new Nintendo console slightly above the X1 power wise sounds good to me. If they come up with a good interface method, this could turn out to be great.

bachikarn

I got confused by the wording too.... She said custom chips, not custom architecture. The architecture is likely ARM so it wouldn't cause issues.

In terms of market share the NX wont be the next SNES, but it will have the 3rd parties and Nintendo games. The best of both worlds - just like the SNES.

I am assuming that the NX will be easy to port to. So the 3rd parties will not need a lot of encouraging to port games. Porting will result in more sales more them.

Also look at how Nintendo succeeded with Splatoon. This is all the encouragement they need to make new IPs which entice the market. Isn't Retro making a new IP?

Nintendo will return to the days of SNES and N64, where they had exclusive IPs like Killer Instinct and Goldeneye which attracted the "hardcore".

Nintendo should really embrace online and have their first three games be part of an online nintendo world championships and really glorify and compensaye the winners with real trophies. Have age groups to maximise exposure and you will get the right people hooked again. Some easy ports they cam do with limited resources are

New competition ip. Think bomberman must be playable handheld and at home and possibly on the phone. But better controls on nintendo consoles obviously.
Splatoon tournament edition
Mario maker NWC edition
Third party fighting game x nintendo
Third party racing game x nintendo
Wii sports championship edition
VC Nintendo classics tournament games. Free for anyone to play. Tetris, dr mario, mario kart etc.

MuchoMalo

Banned

Don't worry, it's most likely ARM. The major engines all support that already. On top of that, it'll almost certainly use some version of the Vulkan API, for some new games it'll be easier to port to and from Windows/Mac OSX/Linux (as well as Android and iOS in some cases). It just needs to be powerful enough and for games to sell enough (I'd guess at least 15-20% of total sales top make it worth it).

ZOONAMI

Does it seem likely Emily maybe heard rumors about Nvidia tegra?

If the home console has a Pascal based tegra I don't think that would be a bad thing, especially if there are scds to provide an additional boost.

Additionally, does Nvidia and Nintendo working together make it more likely the scds are real, given Nvidia experience with cloud based gaming?

First of all multiple GPUs are a huge pain for developers, and GPUs scale well better in power than CPUs since they already contain loads of cores (compute units). So SLI is most likely not happening.

Now getting a handheld with "4 times weaker GPU" is technically possible and I wouldn't be exactly surprised if this is what ends up happening. However it introduces new issues. For example, say that game uses GPGPU for logic and it runs on stronger take on a platform but not on the weaker one, now what?

I'm going to agree with everyone saying that the current 'OMG It's not x86' crowd don't know what they're talking about it. It's irrelevant. As long as the architecture makes sense and the tools are there, it doesn't matter so much.

Again, the main thing working against Nintendo getting third party support is the simple fact that it'll be a Nintendo system. Years of audience erosion and marching to their own drum means that it's going to be incredibly hard for Nintendo to convince third parties to jump on board, even if the system has competent power.

There's not even a guarantee that those kinds of games will sell on Nintendo systems. Until Kimishima and co. can convince third parties that there's a healthy market for games like COD, BF, Witcher, Destiny, GTA etc, no amount of power is going to sway the big publishers beyond token launch window support. Which is why I, and many other people have said that Nintendo should have been making moves to create similar kinds of software years ago...they just don't seem interested in doing so, despite having a war chest so large that Nintendo fans tout how they can throw multiple failed pieces of hardware into the market and come out unscathed. Why not actually use that war chest properly and start investing in some high quality western studios? Time is running out.

This is exactly what I've been saying for a while too. It's something Howard Lincoln understood, but Iwata completely ignored.

People go where the games they like are available. This is just plain common sense. Power and specs are completely irrelevant when the library of the console still has nothing that appeals to you. And a lot of people in the West like gritty online shooters, sports games, open world games, etc. Many exclusively play only those kinds of games. So if Nintendo wants to win over those people, they should make sure those games are available on their platform too. Whether that's through partnerships, moneyhats, or outright making the games themselves, it doesn't matter, the games have to be there somehow. Otherwise Nintendo will have to just remain happy with the current size of their audience. Everything points toward that not being the case, yet they show no signs of actually wanting to do anything about it. They have great relationships with other developers in Japan but very little in the West.

Mind you, I already have a platform to play lots of shooters and open world games on: PC. Even if those games were playable on Nintendo platforms, I'd keep buying them on PC instead. So I don't personally care if Nintendo doesn't ensure those are available to a notable degree. I buy their hardware primarily for their colorful, whimsical, family-friendly offerings. But from a business standpoint I know they can't just keep catering only to people like me if they want to grow. Kids and families already get family-friendly games on mobile, for much cheaper prices. Every friend I know that is a parent just buys their kids a tablet or smartphone for Christmas and calls it a day - the idea of paying $40 for a game seems awfully antiquated to them now. Nintendo can't keep relying solely on that audience for much longer.

MuchoMalo

Banned
Does it seem likely Emily maybe heard rumors about Nvidia tegra?

If the home console has a Pascal based tegra I don't think that would be a bad thing, especially if there are scds to provide an additional boost.

Additionally, does Nvidia and Nintendo working together make it more likely the scds are real, given Nvidia experience with cloud based gaming?

Charlie isn't the most reliable source, so that rumor is dubious at best.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom