• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Emily Rogers: (Rumor) Retro Studios NX game isn't Metroid or DKC. Releases 2017.

Mr-Joker

Banned
Glad that it isn't another Metroid, but sad that it isn't Donkey Kong. :(

Nintendo, please sell off the Metroid IP to a developer/publisher who is willing to put the effort and try to turn it into a successful franchise.

Stop being silly, they aren't going to sell the Metroid IP, plus even if they did no other company would put in the effort to make it a successful franchise as the Metroid series does not sell well at all.

Rockk

NEW IP. This is exactly what I want. Retro has worked on this game/engine for a long time as well. Super awesome.

Ridley327

Metroid id dead, the Prime trilogy is over, The Other M dream turned out to be a nightmare, there not many talented developers willing to make a Metroid game.

What i find strange is the producer of the series not ruling out a Metroid game on NX and even hinting at it, thats why im not sure on this rumor.

Honest question: does a new Metroid game have to be made by Retro? As great a job as they did with the Prime Trilogy, I can't imagine that there isn't another developer out there that can do the IP just as much justice as Retro did.

But we've already been tipped off on Paper Mario and a possible Mother 3 localization before, right?

So I guess I'll take this with a grain of salt.

The one hint at a potential Paper Mario game was a hiring pamphlet by Intelligent Systems at a Japanese job fair, mentioning they were working on one. But she did also note that it would be the only unannounced Wii U game for 2016, and so far that part is looking accurate.

Mother 3, she was the first person who's mentioned that such a thing will be happening and then afterward Eurogamer backed her up.

maxcriden

Ok. I'm cool with that. Open to seeing what it is. Still hoping someone somewhere is working on DKR2. And I have confidence we'll see more DKC games again.

BedBison

Neo Member
I hope it's a new IP WRPG. WRPGs are one of the most popular genres in games right now and Nintendo has a complete lack of them in thier library.

-Horizon-

It wasn't actually. I genuinely didn't know who she is other than seeing her name yesterday and today. I forgot she was the one who tweeted the Paper Mario leak.

No, not you lol
I meant the quote you got from her. Her post sounded tongue in cheek.

Oddish1

Honest question: does a new Metroid game have to be made by Retro? As great a job as they did with the Prime Trilogy, I can't imagine that there isn't another developer out there that can do the IP just as much justice as Retro did.

I wouldn't be surprised if after Federation Force, Next Level gets a chance at a traditional Metroid game.

On the subject of StarTropics, I'd like for Next Level Games to work on it. Under Nintendo's wing, they're kinda Retro Studios-lite, so I think it'd be a good fit for them to revive a obscure IP while Retro does the bigger and grander stuff.

It'd also be fitting because StarTropics is sort of a long lost brother to Punch-Out!!, which NLG already revived. Both games came from Genyo Takeda's R&D3/IRD branch.

HardRojo

Stop being silly, they aren't going to sell the Metroid IP, plus even if they did no other company would put in the effort to make it a successful franchise as the Metroid series does not sell well at all.
Wishful thinking makes us all look silly :( I know they won't sell it.

Jawmuncher

Thank goodness. I've said before Nintendo really needs to make retro their new "rare ware". Let them make new IPs, especially some that can really speak to general western audiences. They're doing fine with their fans, but they have to do more in getting new fans. A studio tailored for western tastes and not forced to work on existing IPs could do that.

Gvitor

She had to clarify it ain't Diddy Kong Racing 2. There's just too much smoke in the ar lately, it's definitely happening by some other dev.

#believe

Kinsei

Banned
If it really is a new IP then awesome! I hope it's a horror game. Nintendo needs one of those and Retro are amazing at atmosphere.

Kouriozan

New IP is Star Fox X Metroid.

LfKIMzz.jpg

Astral Dog

well...im not sure,

they already tried with Sakamoto and Team Ninja,other Nintendo usual partners Next Level games (!), Platinum, Namco,Square Enix,uh...

its not impossible, but to make a Metroid game without Retro? thats tricky as hell.
i still think if there is a new Metroid on NX it has to be with them on the Prime universe

thefro

I'll be thrilled if it's a new IP.

I want a new Metroid game too, but Retro really needs to make their own new IP.

Ideally they'd have at least 2 teams at this point.

wrowa

Well, if I could chose what Retro develops, I'd like to see something kinda similar to Bioshock 1. An FPS with a strong adventure aspect instead of focusing on the shooting set in a unique, twisted setting.

Yes, it's pretty similar to a new Metroid Prime. :p Just not with the usual Metroid sci-fi setting. I loved Retro's art designs back in the day and I'd really love to see them go all out with a unique new setting. Well, most of the people from way back when don't work at Retro anymore anyway, I guess, but the art of the DK games was fine as well.

BedBison

Neo Member
She had to clarify it ain't Diddy Kong Racing 2. There's just too much smoke in the ar lately, it's definitely happening by some other dev.

#believe

A popular theory is that Monster Games, who made Pilotwings Resort and ported DKCR and Xenoblade to 3DS, is making it.

maxcriden

It's gonna be some tech demo shit for whatever Nintendo's most recent controller innovation is, isn't it?

Retro has never made that sort of game before, so I doubt it. That said, I expect such a game from the Nintendo Land team, but you know, excellent quality.

If it really is a new IP then awesome! I hope it's a horror game. Nintendo needs one of those and Retro are amazing at atmosphere.
Do horror games even sell?
I mean would it sell in a Nintendo System?

I know horror games that sell are either action pack or interactive story telling.

well...im not sure,

they already tried with Sakamoto and Team Ninja,other Nintendo usual partners Next Level games (!), Platinum, Namco,Square Enix,uh...

its not impossible, but to make a Metroid game without Retro? thats tricky as hell.
i still think if there is a new Metroid on NX it has to be with them on the Prime universe

Why can't Nintendo develop a new Metroid in-house?

Top Bottom