• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Emily Rogers: Ubisoft won't comment on Wii U version of Watch Dogs

StoopKid

lol i didn't buy a wii u to play games lol c ya ubisoft don't let the door hit you on the way out nintendo should sue you for using u in the name ubisoft since u're not making games for the u that's false advertising, i took a class in law

Sogood.gif

Madness

I wouldn't be surprised if they cancelled the 360/PS3 version as well.

I would... Because they would throw millions of dollars down the drain. Seriously, the install base is more than 10x that of next gen. Even a crappy, lackluster and poor version of the game will still get millions of sales easily.

It's a different story for the Wii U altogether. Why even print the discs or manufacture them when even Mario has trouble selling. They'll quietly cancel the Wii U version.

Replicant

If you announce a game and put it up for preorder and people preorder it and you keep it up there for months and months and then cancel it at the last min even after it was delayed that is BS. Now if they dont want to put anything else like that on WiiU then ok but it is wrong to just drop a game after jerking fans around

iLZqQllWvgBJx.gif

LOL. I mean, it's not like you do anything important or life-threatening to preorder. You just click a button and most online shops these days don't even require advance payment. You can cancel most pre-orders anytime you want.

Log4Girlz

lol i didn't buy a wii u to play games lol c ya ubisoft don't let the door hit you on the way out nintendo should sue you for using u in the name ubisoft since u're not making games for the u that's false advertising, i took a class in law

I can see you took a class in lawlz

Clunker

It's been somewhat astounding; in the past week, I've gone from feeling general apathy to the Wii U's fortunes ("doesn't interest me, but whatever floats other boats") to amusement at Nintendo's blunders and gaffes, then to pity over continued Internet dogpiling, and now just sheer amazement at the meteoric rate at which the console seems to be cratering. The fact that this wouldn't surprise me in the least is kind of surprising when I stop to think about it. Now I'm just fully embracing my role as a rubbernecker.

But hey, quality of life and such.

Err, does anyone believe that the next COD is going to make it to Wii U based on COD:Ghosts abysmal sales on that platform?

Activision torpedoed CoD sales on Wii U themselves. Activision refused to announce either BLOPS2 or Ghosts until a few weeks before the release date, didn't send advance copies to the press for reviews alongside the other versions, there were no preorders for the Wii U version because of the late announcement, refused to confirm or deny whether the Wii U version of Ghosts would get dedicated servers or not, whether it would get DLC or not… And they never released them in the eShop either.

I bought both and they were decent ports (don't mind the lack of DLC personally, I never bought the MW2 dlc either and didn't expect it for these ports) but there's something really weird about how they were just sent out to die on Wii U. I wonder why Activision even bothered releasing them.

Edit: oh, and back on topic, I canceled my Watch Dogs Wii U preorder after seeing that Splinter Cell didn't get any good gamepad features, had lacking co-op, and didn't perform as well as the 360 version. After that I figured it was pretty sure that Watch Dogs Wii U wouldn't take advantage of the gamepad like some of us had imagined it would.

If it wasn't cancelled, they would say that the game is still coming to WiiU. There's no reason to hide a positive answer.

Actually there is. If a company clarifies every rumor that has a positive answer for them, then it would mean every "no comment" would certainly be a negative answer. In other words, it would eventually take away their option of giving a "no comment" response because everyone would know what that indicates.

jmizzal

iLZqQllWvgBJx.gif

LOL. I mean, it's not like you do anything important or life-threatening to preorder. You just click a button and most online shops these days don't even require advance payment. You can cancel most pre-orders anytime you want.

Gamestop sure took my hard earned money on my preorder

Actually there is. If a company clarifies every rumor that has a positive answer for them, then it would mean every "no comment" would certainly be a negative answer. In other words, it would eventually take away their option of giving a "no comment" response because everyone would know what that indicates.

This, like I said wait til the 10th

I want the Wii U version. The PC version is my second choice but rather have the Wii U version. However if it's canceled it's not on Ubisoft. I blame them for the crap they pulled with Rayman Legends but not potentially this.

This is on Nintendo for not doing what they had to do in order to get the Wii U to sell. They are the ones that refused to market the Wii U for a full year. The ones that refused to do the most basic things when explaining the system during it's limited launch marketing. That ones that didn't do wide spread mainstream marketing of the system and brand during the past holiday season. That didn't put out games that would be attractive to an early adopter market or even market/champion the third party games they did get to bring more attention to their system. Now even Wii U owners are wary about getting third party offerings and either won't bother or will pick them up on other systems because they have no faith in the Wii U's longevity. The blame has always been on Nintendo and I say that as a Nintendo fan and Wii U owner.

Unless Nintendo makes them a good deal I certainly don't expect the next Call of Duty to be released on the system. I really don't. I sooner expect to see a 3DS version before a Wii U version.

I am confused, why settle for less? its not like the gamepad will bring a unique or a better experience.

How about just being honest and truthful. That would be nice for once in this fucking industry.

Jomjom

Banned
I own a Wii U and I cant blame Ubi for this. No game publisher/developer should have to release a game that will lose them money. This is a business, not charity. This is on Nintendo to fix. Once they get their damn act together and get people to actually buy the damn thing and make the console a viable ecosystem to release games in, then maybe those third parties will come back. Ubi has already done more than most third parties in supporting the Wii U. They aren't Nintendo 1st Party and don't owe Nintendo any favors.

HUELEN10

I am confused, why settle for less? its not like the gamepad will bring a unique or a better experience.

Why would it necessarily be less? The concept of the Gamepad being used to full potential for a game like this might warrant the choice to many, if done correctly. Choice is good, and if different enough, he could double-dip.

Replicant

Gamestop sure took my hard earned money on my preorder

Uhm, which gamestop does this? Because online Gamestop sure doesn't do that. If it's mortar and brick, surely you can just ask them to assign your pre-order money to something else. They can't take your money on item that does not exist. If the game is canceled, you will get your money back.

GamerJM

Banned
Uhm, which gamestop does this? Because online Gamestop sure doesn't do that. If it's mortar and brick, surely you can just ask them to assign your pre-order money to something else. They can't take your money on item that does not exist. If the game is canceled, you will get your money back.

In my experience they can just give you whatever amount you put down on the game back in GameStop credit. Usually I just have them put it on one of my gift cards.

Dicer

Banned
Dear Emily and the rest of the journalists/nosey fuckers...

Let Ubi do their job, and stop pestering them we will know when they feel like letting us know.

Signed,

Dicer

Why would it necessarily be less? The concept of the Gamepad being used to full potential for a game like this might warrant the choice to many, if done correctly. Choice is good, and if different enough, he could double-dip.

nintendo's first party failed to do anything interesting with it, so i really doubt a third tier port of watch_dogs will be any better.

Jomjom

Banned
In my experience they can just give you whatever amount you put down on the game back in GameStop credit. Usually I just have them put it on one of my gift cards.

If you paid in cash, they will refund you cash too. No need to take their credit unless you used credit.

Replicant

I thought so too. I mean, that's what usually happens when pre-orders don't materalize. It happened to me many times before.

If you paid in cash, they will refund you cash too. No need to take their credit unless you used credit.

And there we have it.

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.

Let Ubi do their job, and stop pestering them we will know when they feel like letting us know.

Signed,

Dicer

Stop doing their jobs so others can do their jobs.

Signed,

Dicer

The hell? The gaming press is bad enough without people telling them to literally not ask publishers important questions.

daegan

To be fair, doesn't that include AC? >_>

To some extent, yes; but IV clearly didn't keep up with III and if not for the new systems could have completely fizzled. It's not a guaranteed home run to the extent that COD, Madden, FIFA are. Bad press/fatigue/etc can still seriously hit an AC title.

If I'm Ubi, I want to position Watch Dogs as a next-gen game all the way. Last-gen versions never seemed to really fit with what they were doing... with how strong sales have been I don't see a reason for them to keep working on old versions.

Effect

nintendo's first party failed to do anything interesting with it, so i really doubt a third tier port of watch_dogs will be any better.

Except that Ubisoft has made good use of the gamepad in a number of ways with ZombiU, Assassin's Creed 3, and Splinter Cell: Blacklist. Better use then Nintendo certainly outside of Nintendo Land.

Log4Girlz

Signed,

Dicer

I hate when Journalists try to snoop around or gather information to enlighten their readers. Just who the fuck do they think they are?

ShdwDrake

Banned

Yeah but if only 6,000 people buy it like they did AssCreed its not even worth putting the game through QA and sending it to the ESRB and writing the discs and shipping the discs out. They save money by cancelling it.

Dear Edward Snowden and the rest of the press/internet fuckers...

Let NSA do their job, and stop pestering them we will know when they feel like letting us know.

Signed,

Usually Right.

Dicer

Banned
I hate when Journalists try to snoop around or gather information to enlighten their readers. Just who the fuck do they think they are?

It's been covered, Ubi said no comment, is one more person asking gonna actually make them decide to comment...Nope.

The only reason most people want to know is so that they can add more fuel to the "Nintendo is done" fire that everyone is dancing around.

If Ubi says "yes" the we will get "I don't see the point no one will buy it anyway"
and if it's canned , well we know how that will go.

border

If Nintendo lets this game get cancelled or go digital-only, I will be completely floored and aghast. I think it's pretty clear right now everyone at Nintendo knows that they are up against the ropes. They should be fighting tooth and nail to keep every game in development. Thye should offer to waive software royalties, or offer to pay for marketing, or offer to pay publishing/distribution costs.

If they lose Watch_Dogs I think it will be sufficient evidence that Nintendo just doesn't give a fuck anymore.

Top Bottom