• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Epic releases the Unreal Engine 4 demo "A Boy and His Kite"

burney

Neo Member
Runs at about 20-30fps on my 780@1920x1200. Don't really like the very strong motion blur but I never do like motion blur.

WE TOY STORY NOW

It's noticeably chunky on my 970 using the default windowed 1080p settings. Sounds like this thing is pretty VRAM heavy and it's probably choking on the 970's lower VRAM. Hopefully it will even out when I get my 980 Ti.

Still, 15 years after the PS2, we've finally gotten Toy Story in real time. That's a significant accomplishment no matter how you frame it. This is how The Elder Scrolls VI ought to look lol.

WE TOY STORY NOW

It's noticeably chunky on my 970 using the default windowed 1080p settings. Sounds like this thing is pretty VRAM heavy and it's probably choking on the 970's lower VRAM. Hopefully it will even out when I get my 980 Ti.

Still, 15 years after the PS2, we've finally gotten Toy Story in real time. That's a significant accomplishment no matter how you frame it. This is how The Elder Scrolls VI ought to look lol.

Given how one scene in this goes up to 78% GPU usage on a titan X OCd to 1410 core... @ 30 fps (@ 1080p only), I do not have my hopes that high.

console :(

With Gamebryo? More like XVI lol.

Well I hope Bethesda has finally abandoned their Gamebryo engine and moved to something decent like oh I don't know how about the Unreal Engine 4 being shown off in this demo lol

Performance on my 970 smoothed out a lot once I used that shortcut to force 1080p fullscreen, getting 20-30 fps in the cinematic with a lot less chunking.

KKRT00

Hands down the best depth of field and motionblur I have ever seen in real time rendering on my computer.

Everything should do all the temporal stoichiastic shit they do to make it look the way it does. It is brilliant.

For example, with any other type of Depth of Field, that third screenshot would look rather terrible.

Must be looking much better in motion, because i personally find motion blur artifacts on screens to be annoying.

JordanN

Banned
WE TOY STORY NOW

My only one issue is the actual geometry. They can put a million polygons into displaying trees, but the boy's hair and backpack are very low poly. With Toy Story, everything had a rounded look to it.

Luckily, there are other games that do have better characters.

18153632783_0e4e59354e_o.jpg

Durante

I agree with Dictator, the postprocessing is really rather impressive. I don't even like DoF or motion blur much but i can appreciate the quality.

It might be giving my PC some grief but it is still a magnificent experience. If only there was a game using this landscape.

2662d0c1e6c1801295c21c76702909bc.png

cb9cf6e8710df324de71623c2d89154e.png

6d408e95d58f6a544e62c52f7eda683e.png

06786a5a91a773a56f135a2c2870be41.png

d85c4c748b03b60b00ded813b733c63e.png
Nice shots.

myca77

I just installed Win 8.1 on my new (re-rurbed) cheese grater Mac Pro. I'll have to give this a go and see how it runs with dual 6 core 3.46 Xeons, 64GB Ram and a Titan X....

OK, that may have been a bit of bragging, but the machine is mainly for work, but I added the Titan X so it would be a monster gaming rig too.

Damm impressive, even if it runs at 20 fps and 3 second stutters from time to time, I'm surprised it runs on my pc at all, it's amazing what they achieved, I wonder if they will continue updating it along with UE 4 versions, maybe we can build a DX12 version later.

Also can we please have UE 4 Temporal AA on all games?

Must be looking much better in motion, because i personally find motion blur artifacts on screens to be annoying.

It is definitely not as easy to represent in still. But the fact that it does not have stepping, resolution issues, outlines, or even extremely apparent banding in stills is just awesome.
For example: Here in Crysis 3, you can see the individual slices and outlines (not super obvious in motion though):
or in Ryse, you can see it is running at a different resolution on top of the fact that it has outlines (not obvious in motion):

But in this newer, noisier, MB, it does not really have any of those things. Which is impressive for capturing it in stills.
I agree with Dictator, the postprocessing is really rather impressive. I don't even like DoF or motion blur much but i can appreciate the quality

Motion blur and Bokeh are things that I like a little too much to be honest. lol

Out of curiosity I tried to run this on my laptop with a Geforce GT 650M and 2GB of DDR3 VRAM. There was literally no hope, I think I heard the GPU crying.

KKRT00

It is definitely not as easy to represent in still. But the fact that it does not have stepping, resolution issues, outlines, or even extremely apparent banding in stills is just awesome.
For example: Here in Crysis 3, you can see the individual slices and outlines (not super obvious in motion though):

or in Ryse, you can see it is running at a different resolution on top of the fact that it has outlines (not obvious in motion):

But in this newer, noisier, MB, it does not really have any of those things. Which is impressive for capturing it in stills.

Motion blur and Bokeh are things that I like a little too much to be honest. lol
Yeah, i know that CryEngine one has artifacts too, but only in place of the movement. Here there are some strange artifacts outside of the blurred object.
Maybe its due to framerate. They are definitely doing some reprojection, so maybe in 60fps it is eliminated greatly.

Lets see some videos guys, other than the original video of the demo from a few months ago.
How is this for you?
http://webm.host/98fec/vid.webm
Looks like I'm gonna need 3D glasses for this one...

You can only convey emotions behind a chroma filter. Oui?

Yeah, i know that CryEngine one has artifacts too, but only in place of the movement. Here there are some strange artifacts outside of the blurred object.
Maybe its due to framerate. They are definitely doing some reprojection, so maybe in 60fps it is eliminated greatly.

I think that is the TAA and not the motionblur (the ghosting).

Anyone know a command to turn off the TAA?

WE TOY STORY NOW

Looool, really????? Why do you have such lwo standards or you don't understand anything in tech. Toy Story didin't have 1/4 of what this demo presents: it didn' even have ambient occlusion or PBR and the lighting was static in offline renderer, his has dynami GI and over 2 millions trees etc. This surpassess even Monster House released in 2006 and the devs compared that to it yesterday.

Because of the 970's slower pool of vram.

I ran out of vram allocation trying to run the Kite Demo Cinematic.

On a 970??
Cause I ran it at 4k on a 970 (11fps lol) but it still ran. @1080p its almost 30fps solid, with only 1 short drop to 25

hesido

Hands down the best depth of field and motionblur I have ever seen in real time rendering on my computer.

Everything should do all the temporal stoichiastic shit they do to make it look the way it does. It is brilliant.

For example, with any other type of Depth of Field, that third screenshot would look rather terrible.

I think The Order does DOF so good, it's easily up there with this one. The moblur looked mighty fine as well.

The density of the vegetation is through the roof though. Also I like the fact that whatever AO solution they are using is a subtle one.

I think The Order does DOF so good, it's easily up there with this one. The moblur looked mighty fine as well.

The density of the vegetation is through the roof though. Also I like the fact that whatever AO solution they are using is a subtle one.

It is called Distant Filed AO. It is miels better than SSAO and cna go beyond the limited distances of HBAO and HBAO+. It works very well in open world settings and with trees and foliage.

This is how you permanently removed the CA from the Unreal Tournament demo.

Add this command to the "Scalability.ini" file at "C:\Users\[username]\Documents\UnrealTournament\Saved\Config\WindowsNoEditor" like this:

[PostProcessQuality@3]
r.SceneColorFringe.Max=0

Set the file to read-only.

No idea if that is still possible in this demo though.

Looool, really????? Why do you have such lwo standards or you don't understand anything in tech. Toy Story didin't have 1/4 of what this demo presents: it didn' even have ambient occlusion or PBR and the lighting was static in offline renderer, his has dynami GI and over 2 millions trees etc. This surpassess even Monster House released in 2006 and the devs compared that to it yesterday.

Um, Toy Story was also made 20 years ago lol. I wasn't even pretending to comment on the underlying tech, maybe you should calm down.

We've probably seen them already. Note that Epic never released the Infiltrator demo, or Samaritan.

They won't, especially The Infiltrator one, it has assets and was built beyond just a simple demo, all the buildings you see in the backgrounds are just still pictures backgrounds, they are fully modelled and represent sth. I am almost sure The Infiltrator one uis based on the upcoming game Epic will unveil at E3. Only few hours left so we will see.

tuxfool

Banned
They won't, especially The Infiltrator one, it has assets and was built beyond just a simple demo, all the buildings you see in the backgrounds are just still pictures backgrounds, they are fully modelled and represent sth. I am almost sure The Infiltrator one uis based on the upcoming game Epic will unveil at E3. Only few hours left so we will see.

Epic is developing another game besides UT and Fortnite?

BTW, in case no one noticed it yet, the boy is Tim Sweeney young, he loved hiking and kites, Someone, please make a closeup pic of his backpack with words Tim and Epic and the funny sktech.

WE TOY STORY NOW

Ehh... Toy Story looks like shit today. Almost any game released in the last 3 years handsdown beats it.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick

Nice

I can always count on Dictator to bring the motion blur and bokeh goods.

kinggroin

Banned
Every game with PBS.

Seriously, the lighting in Toy Story 1 is so flat and its low res. The only good thing about it graphically is the AA which is better than todays games.

Also, don't get me started on the characters. They are looking downright awful.

Nah. Like, on paper, yeah, you're right.

In practice, even say just using in-game real-time cutscenes, no. Maybe The Order. Maybe.

Everything is still ultra low precision, gamey, and janky.

kinggroin

Banned
Toy Story 1 is pretty ugly guys.

I disagree. I find it to be a very charming looking movie even to this day. Its biggest problem is the artstyle for humans.

Can't think of an actual game's (mayve the order) realtime cutscenes as clean and precise as most of that movie. Its rudimentary compared to most CGI in film today, but put together very well.

This Kite demo pretty much beats TS1 for sure, but there are still moments with jank, aliasing, artifacts....etc

Nah. Like, on paper, yeah, you're right.

In practice, even say just using in-game real-time cutscenes, no. Maybe The Order. Maybe.

Everything is still ultra low precision, gamey, and janky.

precisely.

despite the final frames of the best real-time rendered games looking more "aesthetically pleasing", the precision is still just so low compared with farm rendered work [even from as long ago as the original Toy Story].

viveks86

Runs around 24 fps with Titan X SLI at 4K. Rare drops to 15. Touches 30 every now and then. Mostly hovers around 24

KiteDemo-Win64-Shipping2015-06-1315-11-24-40.png

KiteDemo-Win64-Shipping2015-06-1315-13-04-17.png

KiteDemo-Win64-Shipping2015-06-1315-05-50-34.png

KiteDemo-Win64-Shipping2015-06-1315-07-51-23.png

heyf00L

Really damn impressive, especially how the shadowing is good both at short and very long distance. Also the amount of small-scale detail given that it's an open world demo, but the lighting is really what got me.

I remember they recently added a shadowing solution for area lights and one of the things it does is use significantly less VRAM so they can render large, distant shadows no problem. However, the lighting solution only works for static objects. It's perfect for terrain and buildings, tho.

Top Bottom