• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Epic releases the Unreal Engine 4 demo "A Boy and His Kite"

E-Cat

Runs around 24 fps with Titan X SLI at 4K. Rare drops to 15. Touches 30 every now and then. Mostly hovers around 24

KiteDemo-Win64-Shipping2015-06-1315-11-24-40.png

KiteDemo-Win64-Shipping2015-06-1315-13-04-17.png

KiteDemo-Win64-Shipping2015-06-1315-05-50-34.png

KiteDemo-Win64-Shipping2015-06-1315-07-51-23.png

PS5½ graphics :O

lmimmfn

6Gig downloadof KireDemo_Runtime.zip and "Failed to open descriptor file '../../../KiteDemo/KiteDemo.uproject'

There is no such file in the installation.

Deleted, waste of time.

It looks good but after playing Witcher 3 with ini tweaks it really didn't impress nearly as much as when the cinematic was first shown. Lod isn't so hot on grass it seems, getting pop in on animals too. A pretty landscape for sure, just not nearly as much foliage as I'd like to see. Landscape details don't seem to render very well from far away either.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Runs around 24 fps with Titan X SLI at 4K. Rare drops to 15. Touches 30 every now and then. Mostly hovers around 24
4K/24

The perfect cinema experience.

I wonder how long it'll be until we can get this kind of fidelity at 4k with playable framerates on standard hardware.

Kevin

Gorgeous visuals, slideshow on my old GTX 590. Though with my Intel 6-core processor and 24gb of ram, if I upgrade to a modern video card, I should be good to go. :)

Anyone figured out how to turn off the CA?

I already mentioned it.

This is how you permanently removed the CA from the Unreal Tournament demo.

Add this command to the "Scalability.ini" file at "C:\Users\[username]\Documents\UnrealTournament\Saved\Config\WindowsNoEditor" like this:

[PostProcessQuality@3]
r.SceneColorFringe.Max=0

Set the file to read-only.

An easy way to do it for this demo:

Make a shortcut of the .exe and add these parameters:

-SceneColorFringe.Max=0

I already mentioned it.

An easy way to do it for this demo:

Make a shortcut of the .exe and add these parameters:

-SceneColorFringe.Max=0

Thank you; I saw your post earlier, but couldn't find an INI file to edit.

I don't have much experience with changing these things.

Octavia

Unconfirmed Member
Not gonna lie, these shots aren't really wowing me. The three main points are art direction, IQ, and those clouds. Everything else is pretty ehhhh. The terrain is just barren with some rock meshes here or there but most of it is just a deformed main mesh with painted on textures and a grass layer. Standard unreal stuff since UE2, kinda snoozeville. It works because the lead artist for this clearly has an eye for design, and it pulls the whole thing together with the color choices, fog usage, texture choices, ect. There's definitely some clever usage of the terrain painting to keep the repeating textures from being so noticeable while making it look natural looking, props to them on that.

But that's just to me, who knows.

hateradio

The Most Dangerous Yes Man
I wonder if any 3D movie would be released in a compiled form rather than a video in the next few years.

I'm sure NVIDIA or something would push for that, maybe AMD.

Someone zoom in on the rocks and make some pics, I know landscapes are always the thing people capture the most but the rocks in the demo video had so much intricate detail, I want to see the tessellation and variety in actual videogames! (I'm not going to download this anytime soon, not with my internet connection and the Steam summer stale clogging up the line)

Someone zoom in on the rocks and make some pics, I know landscapes are always the thing people capture the most but the rocks in the demo video had so much intricate detail, I want to see the tessellation and variety in actual videogames! (I'm not going to download this anytime soon, not with my internet connection and the Steam summer stale clogging up the line)

I downloaded the smaller file and the rocks didn't look as good as the original video for me. Some looked downright ugly actually. Maybe there's something you can do to edit detail settings? Surprised this didn't have the UE4 quality settings menu prior to launch.

I wonder how a DX12 build of this will run. Maybe dat GPGPU and code to the metal secret sauce would make this possible on standard PCs and maybe current gen later down the line

Of course at dynamic 1440x1080p24 with no AA

I downloaded the smaller file and the rocks didn't look as good as the original video for me. Some looked downright ugly actually. Maybe there's something you can do to edit detail settings? Surprised this didn't have the UE4 quality settings menu prior to launch.

That's disappointing to read... then again, they ran the original demo on a 4 way Titan X Sli set-up. I guess this should make a difference somewhere?!

They probably only include smaller textures in the 6 GB download.

Yup, you'll need to do so in the editor, but that requires way more resources. I'll try to get it working, but yesterday my PC did not like it.

That's disappointing to read... then again, they ran the original demo on a 4 way Titan X Sli set-up. I guess this should make a difference somewhere?!

You're thinking of Witch Chapter 0 [cry] by Square Enix.

A Boy and His Kite ran on a single Titan X. Unreal Engine 4 doesn't support SLI at this time.

Yup, my PC really does not want me to run this in the editor with 8 GB of RAM, 2500K and a GTX 970. Everything gets unresponsive, I assume because of the RAM.

So I don't think I can take some simple screens on a normal resolution without CA in the editor.

Yup, my PC really does not want me to run this in the editor with 8 GB of RAM, 2500K and a GTX 970. Everything gets unresponsive, I assume because of the RAM.

So I don't think I can take some simple screens on a normal resolution without CA in the editor.

Boo, well those are pretty much my specs too so guess I'm not missing much.

Hmm it looks good but it doesn't blow me away in screens, probably because low quality assets are still very much obvious in the large landscape. Looking great, but we have still got a long way to go. I am sure it looks much nicer in motion though, I remember when I watched it originally I was impressed by the quality of some of the assets, but they are obviously not uniform.

vio

Ok..so this is NOT running on my 3gb RAM and 1gb 560 gtx. Will keep the file on my pc for the future GPU and RAM upgrade.

In all seriousness, it does look amazing in motion.
lol :p
In stills it is a bit less impressive just because there is very few trees in the distance. Still incredible looking tech demo when comes to lighting and shading.

Proper godrays in UE? I didn`t see those in 4.8 version of the engine.

Most screens look great, but this one's awful. What kindof material is that T-Shirt meant to be made of? And the backpack straps are low poly and badly textured.

Why skimp on those things when you're gonna have close ups of your character?

Because it's an artistic style for one... and secondly the boy is the least important part of this demo. The environments and the kite are actually the stars here and received the most attention.

Remember, this demo was made to show how UE4 could create massive open worlds with extremely detailed environments.

But the real reason is because they didn't have enough time. If you watch the twitch streams about its development, they talk a lot about cutting back on things due to time restraints. Such as the kite only having 1 tail instead of multiple tails. The boys hair being extremely simple with only a few moving chunks.. and the boys clothing being tight so they wouldn't have to worry about all the physics modeling and making it look proper.

Given proper time, they could have made something truly Pixar quality I bet. Some of the textures are insane.

bee

incredible demo, like a glimpse into the future

runs fine with 8gb ram i suspect a six core machine would help me though as it recommends, vram at 4k was just under 7gb running the kite cinematic, the grass, the lighting, fucking everything all amazing (ok the framerate wasn't :p)

Top Bottom